Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: The Name of the Wind

Paul,

Had an enteresting experiance today. I was in B&N browseing and the manager waved a woman over to me "go ask her for a recomendation". It's bad when you don't even work there and your the one who knows the section best. (chuckle)

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Tig:

Too bad you can't get a commission for all of your suggestions that turn into sales... That was one of my favorite parts about managing bookstores – when I could suggest a title to someone and then have them come back a week or so later and just be so happy that they read such an amazing book. I've probably told a hundred people about the Patrick Rothfuss title.

And just so you know, Tig, Lamentation by Ken Scholes is coming out in February. That's another absolutely amazing fantasy debut that I know will blow you (and everyone else) away...

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

I am looking forward to Lamentation. It sounds phenomenal.

I am also looking forward to the continuation of Kvothe's story... I want to know what happend so badly... oh so badly.

"When camping in Canada, do not wear fruity chapstick... you might get mauled by grizzly bears."
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

avidreader2 wrote:

I am looking forward to Lamentation. It sounds phenomenal.

Avid:

I hope you know by now that I'm a very picky reader, that is, it takes alot for me to really rave about a book that I'm reviewing. Well, after I read Lamentation – as you may remember –  I started a thread here and was just so overcome with joy that I had to share it with you guys (even though the book doesn't come out until February and more than a few of you wanted to skin me alive for the tease – sorry.) But, yeah, it's MAGNIFICENT. Ken Scholes actually stopped by here and chatted about the book for a weekend a few months ago so if anyone is interested in reading what he had to say, here's the link...

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board/message?board.id=fsf&thread.id=3416&jump=true

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
New User
jeb124
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Hi!

I'm Julie, a high school senior in the Boston area. I've never posted to a forum before, so any suggestions/ help would be great.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

Hey jeb -

There is no "form" to it. It's like hanging with your friends, just be yourself and talk about what you like. You're sure to find someone who agrees, or disagrees. Either way, it makes for good discussion, and it's a wonderful way to find out about books you may have missed in your travels. Welcome.

There are more of us than you think.
Contributor
Tektonica
0 Kudos

I'm a total newbie to this online book blog thing.  How do I post questions for the visiting authors?  Where?  Where do we view the answers.  How do we find out about these events?   Sorry I'm so behind the curve on this.

I'm  a lifelong SciFi/Fantasy fan.  There were years between college and now that life was so busy and complicated that reading anything besides current events and magazine articles was impossible.  So now I'm back to books and trying to catch up with all I"ve missed.

I'd love any recommendations!  A few of the things I have managed to read so far are:

George RR Martin's,  Song of Ice and Fire Series 

Robert Jordan's, Wheel of Time

Robin Hobb's, Far Seer and Tawny Man Series

Brandon Sanderson's, Final Empire Series and Elantris

Just read Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game and Ender in Exile and will read more of that series.

So that's my taste and I'd love more recommendations!  Thank you in advance

-Tektonica 

Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

Tektonica wrote:

I'm a total newbie to this online book blog thing.  How do I post questions for the visiting authors?  Where?  Where do we view the answers.  How do we find out about these events?   Sorry I'm so behind the curve on this.

I'm  a lifelong SciFi/Fantasy fan.  There were years between college and now that life was so busy and complicated that reading anything besides current events and magazine articles was impossible.  So now I'm back to books and trying to catch up with all I"ve missed.

I'd love any recommendations!  A few of the things I have managed to read so far are:

Just read Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game and Ender in Exile and will read more of that series.

So that's my taste and I'd love more recommendations!  Thank you in advance

-Tektonica 

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Ruthfuss 
 It's a must if you like fantasy of any kind.
 Welcome to the Book Clubs (and don't worry, you'll catch on quickly. Even the most computer challenged people, like me, can manage this site)!!! 

"When camping in Canada, do not wear fruity chapstick... you might get mauled by grizzly bears."
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Tektonica wrote:

I'm a total newbie to this online book blog thing.  How do I post questions for the visiting authors?  Where?  Where do we view the answers. 

-Tektonica 

Tek:

Just go to the relevant thread – for Orson Scott Card, it's at the top of the page titled December Feature #1 –  and just post your questions and/or comments. When OSC replies, it'll be right on that same thread – easy!

Paul 

Contributor
Tektonica
0 Kudos

Thanks Paul!  I'm on it.

Tektonica 

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Tektonica wrote:

Thanks Paul!  I'm on it.

Tektonica 

Go to town, Tek – Orson Scott Card is here right now!

Paul 

Contributor
Robinyoda
0 Kudos

Hi all!!

Hello everyone!  You can call me robinyoda or just robin.  I love to read, just this month I read the Twilight saga for the second time all of Vampire academy the Sookie Stackhouse books Patricia Brigg's Mercy Thompson books as well as my books for class.  I have a BA in History from Purdue University and am working on a BS in Science education: Biology and a teaching certificate in history and Social sciences.  I have read most of Anne McCaffery's books and love them especially the Talent series.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: Hi all!!

Welcome Robin:

Hope to see your posts on the threads!

Paul 

Contributor
Kazander
0 Kudos

Steps up to mic hello, i am William an um... im a sci-fi/ fantasy  addict.

Tektonica

these are all great books but i notice you like series so i thought id take a sec to recommend a few i happen to like an enjoy

The Belgaraid, the Mallorian, the Elenium, and the Tamuli series by David Edding an his wife Leigh 

The Dragon Prince and Dragon Star series by Melinie Rawn 

Terry Goodkinds sword of  Truth series

these are good books by great authors 

btw i love series also the longer the better 

im seriously hoping that Brandon Sanderson does a stand up job on finishing the W.o.t series 

awaiting it anxiously 

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Kazander wrote:

Steps up to mic hello, i am William an um... im a sci-fi/ fantasy  addict.

William:

Welcome! We're all addicts here so you'll fit right in. You probably already know this but Brandon Sanderson is launching a new series in June of 2009 called Warbreaker. It sounds like it could be amazing!

Paul 

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/book/Warbreaker

Contributor
Merlin26
0 Kudos

Hey,

I'm a picky reader when it comes to fantasy, and for the most part I don't care for Sci-Fi. Though, I love the Inheritance Series (eragon). I'm reading Brisingr right now and it is amazing. I also really like Harry Potter and JRR Tolkien. I read the Lord of the Rings this summer, and while I found it some what slow loved the book. I would have to call JRR Tolkien my favorite author. Also for any who haven't The Hobbit is a must read (beating its sequel the lord of the rings).

:mansurprised:

Contributor
Kazander
0 Kudos

William:

Welcome! We're all addicts here so you'll fit right in. You probably already know this but Brandon Sanderson is launching a new series in June of 2009 called Warbreaker. It sounds like it could be amazing!

Paul 

i just want hinm to finish "Memory of LIght" first lol 
Contributor
Tektonica
0 Kudos

Thanks for the recommendations.  I haven't heard of any of those except Terry Goodkind, of whom I'm not a great fan....but will surely check out the others.  Sword of Truth seemed more like a medievil soap opera than a deeply philosophical exploration.  

I appreciate the tips!  I do indeed like series.  If it's good, I never want it to end.  Thanks.

Tektonica 

Inspired Contributor
julia823
0 Kudos

Hey guys I'm not really new here either. But my name is Julia. Im 16 years old and I LOVE to read, I write a little bit. I play piano and sing. I also LOVE horses.
" Its a quarter after one i'm all alone and i need you now i said i wouldnt come but i lost all control and i need you now and i dont know how i can do without i just need you now"
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

julia823 wrote:
Hey guys I'm not really new here either. But my name is Julia. Im 16 years old and I LOVE to read, I write a little bit. I play piano and sing. I also LOVE horses.

Hey Julia. Welcome (again!). Ever read Louise Marley? She was a classically trained opera singer and college music professor who now writes (incredibly good) SF. Most of her novels have musical themes – I do believe you would LOVE her. Please read Singer in the Snow – a really is a SF classic.

Paul 

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Singer-in-the-Snow/Louise-Marley/e/9780142407486/?itm=2