Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Julia,

I haven't officially welcomed you either.  You would proably enjoy L.E. Modesitt Jr.'s Soporano Sorceress series.  They feature a Music teacher from Iowa State University that is transported to a different realm to save it from the Dark.  I really enjoyed the books though they were some I could not bring out with me when we moved from Iowa.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:

Julia,

I haven't officially welcomed you either.  You would proably enjoy L.E. Modesitt Jr.'s Soporano Sorceress series.  They feature a Music teacher from Iowa State University that is transported to a different realm to save it from the Dark.  I really enjoyed the books though they were some I could not bring out with me when we moved from Iowa.

Toni

Good call, Toni – I forgot about the Modesitt series!  :smileyhappy:

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Contributor
julia823
0 Kudos

Thanks guys, I'll try those out the next time I get to go to barnes and noble.
" Its a quarter after one i'm all alone and i need you now i said i wouldnt come but i lost all control and i need you now and i dont know how i can do without i just need you now"
New User
kkbro
0 Kudos

hi, paul,

my name is kevin brown and i truly love science fiction.  my first science fiction book was published in aug 08 and i am currently at work on my second novel, a political thriller.  I'd be interested in your current recommendations since i have had little time to read recently.  best wishes to everyone for a joyous holiday season and a happy new year.

sincerely,

kevin k brown, author of "Bartlesville: A Chronicle of the Grays"

www.publishedauthors.net/kevinkbrown/index.net

Kevin K. Brown, author of "Bartlesville: A Chronicle of the Grays."
www.publishedauthors.net/kevinkbrown/index.html
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

kkbro wrote:

hi, paul,

my name is kevin brown and i truly love science fiction.  my first science fiction book was published in aug 08 and i am currently at work on my second novel, a political thriller.  I'd be interested in your current recommendations since i have had little time to read recently.  best wishes to everyone for a joyous holiday season and a happy new year.

sincerely,

kevin k brown, author of "Bartlesville: A Chronicle of the Grays"

www.publishedauthors.net/kevinkbrown/index.net

Welcome Kevin – and congrats on getting published.Well, if you love SF and are currently writing a plotical thriller, I would be remiss if I didn't tell you about Ben Bova's recent (and upcoming) forrays in mainstream thrillerdom. A few years back he wrote The Green Trap, an ecothriller, and in April he is coming out with The Immortality Factor, which I believe is about science's attempt to make humankind immortal. 

Also, Orson Scott Card is here today and tomorrow (Thread: December Feature #1) and in that discussion, he just talked about how SF has lost some of its relevance and how Fantasy has become the  new SF. Very intersting stuff. Feel free to post a comment!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Contributor
Anthrogrl
0 Kudos

Hello everyone; I'm just an average citizen and bibliophile who'd rather spend her money on books then on food!

I love to read from a variety of genres, my favorites including classics, fantasy and science fiction.

-Anthrogrl

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Welcome Anthrogrl,

You have joined the right group because we all spend a lot on reading and all love to read.  Feel free to jump right in and post on any thread you want.  We are a good group.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Well, hello.  I am new to the site and found it by just trying to find a place to talk about what I have read, that to me is what makes the book a little better.  I enjoy reading fantasy fiction.  I have been spending a lot of time lately reading Raymond Feist.  I really love the developement of his characters and the adventures.  I have really started doing a lot of reading in the last year.  I had time to fill and have finally found books that held my interest.

Melhay

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Welcome Melhay,

I too enjoy Raymond E. Feist and his Midikema series.  In fact I just found out last night that he has a new book coming out next year that is called Ride A Dread Legion.   I guess that I had better get busy and read the last two that have come out.  I have them in my TBR pile so I will just have to move them to the top.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Yes, I was on his website and noticed he has one next year and a few others which are in the works.  I am doing by best to quickly, yet retaining details, to get through all the books to be up for the new ones.  My brother had started me into his series and I do really enjoy them.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Anthrogrl wrote:

Hello everyone; I'm just an average citizen and bibliophile who'd rather spend her money on books then on food!

-Anthrogrl

Anthrogrl:

Join the club! I'm relatively certain that you just stumbled into a group of people exactly like yourself. There are  many, many bibliophiles here – what's your fav fantasy or SF novel? Just curious...

Paul 

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

I have been spending a lot of time lately reading Raymond Feist.

Melhay

Melhay:

Man, Feist is one of my favorites – I went through a three or four year period where he was my #1 writer. And you're right about his character develpment, it's just unparalleled.  Haven't read too much from him later – I hope his is doing okay...

Paul 

New User
surferartchick
0 Kudos

Hello, I'm Jeannie aka surferartchick (yes, I surf, do art, and am a chick) nice to see everyone!

*breaths* Okay, I'm a novelist and a working writer. Though my ‘working' status depends on how much of my day job work actually gets done. My day job involves AutoCAD and lots of other ‘scary' artistic programs and I LOVE it.  I've written for several magazines, newspapers, and blogs over the years. You know in-between my day job and sleep.  At some point, sooner rather than later, I hope to only be writing as my profession of choice.

My love of Science fiction came from my father who considered family time as watching a Twilight Zone Marathon for two days.  We were always immersed in films such as War of the Worlds, The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Brain that Wouldn't Die, and any more. And well naturally, that's the road I took when I started really reading.  I'm a lover of all fiction and whilst I love Science fiction, I'm more into characters and how they develop or don't develop. I guess that's were all those old science fiction movies curved my opinion to keep the tech in the background and the story in the forefront.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

surferartchick wrote:

Hello, I'm Jeannie aka surferartchick (yes, I surf, do art, and am a chick) nice to see everyone!

*breaths* Okay, I'm a novelist and a working writer. Though my ‘working' status depends on how much of my day job work actually gets done. My day job involves AutoCAD and lots of other ‘scary' artistic programs and I LOVE it.  I've written for several magazines, newspapers, and blogs over the years. You know in-between my day job and sleep.  At some point, sooner rather than later, I hope to only be writing as my profession of choice.

My love of Science fiction came from my father who considered family time as watching a Twilight Zone Marathon for two days.  We were always immersed in films such as War of the Worlds, The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Brain that Wouldn't Die, and any more. And well naturally, that's the road I took when I started really reading.  I'm a lover of all fiction and whilst I love Science fiction, I'm more into characters and how they develop or don't develop. I guess that's were all those old science fiction movies curved my opinion to keep the tech in the background and the story in the forefront.

Jeannie:

I've already welcomed you on another thread but I'm going to do it again – welcome! You sound like you'll fit right in here. If you have any querstions or comments, feel free to message me. Happy holidays to you and all the others here!

Paul 

New User
Krinore
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I am new to the  Sci/Fi world so I hope to learn a lot.

Sir Krinore Fairfax  

Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

Krinore wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am new to the  Sci/Fi world so I hope to learn a lot.

Sir Krinore Fairfax  

Prepare yourself for an overwhelming amount of good book suggestions. I know I will definitely be hitting B&N pretty hard after Christmas so I can finally own some of the books I have heard about here.

"When camping in Canada, do not wear fruity chapstick... you might get mauled by grizzly bears."
Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

Welcome Krinore -

What are you hoping to learn? There are so many different kinds of Fantasy & SF. Do you like hardware, or magic? Are you techno or mechanical? When the lights go out, do you light a candle, or run for the breaker box? (Or both.) What are you reading right now, and what's in you TBR pile? Do you know where your towel is?

Seriously, welcome, and have a good time. There are a lot of interesting people here.

There are more of us than you think.
New User
Sally_Forth
0 Kudos

I'm a huge fan of fantasy, but I pretty much read anything I can get my hands on.  Favorite books would have to be Robin Hobb's Farseer, Liveship Traders, and Tawny Man trilogies. 

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Welcome Sally,

I hope you have an enjoyable time with us and Paul has posted about our features for the next three months.  You can do as many as you want but most of us pick one or two to participate in.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Contributor
Tektonica
0 Kudos

Welcome Sally!  I too loved Robin Hobb's Farseer and Tawny Man series.  

You might also like Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy and George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series.

Both are well written with good character development and story lines.  Let me know!

Tektonica