Scribe
redheart52
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Hi my name is jess and I am 16 years old.

I write book and music reveiws for my school newspaper and I am in a creative writing class. My writing class encourages us to write poems and even our first novel. So, i am currently writing a novel. I read alot of books on my spare time and when im not reading i am usually writing. I prefer Fantasy novels like Christopher Paolini's series(which inspires me to write) But i would read about anything as long as it has a good conflict and developed characters.

New User
Fairystyle
0 Kudos

Hello All,

My name is Ann. I'm 30 and I'm from MD. This is my first book club. Not sure what I'm doing but I been hoping to find people who love to read the same things I do. I love paranormal romance books. I like this type of book because I take after my parents about 50/50. My dad love sci-fi and mom loves romance books. A few of my favorite authors are Jayne Ann Krentz, Jean Johnson, Robin D. Owen, and many more that will take all day to write.

As aways,

Ann

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Welcome Ann,

You might also like the Paranormal/Urban Fantasy bookclub.  A bunch of us hang out it both places.  I'm sure you will find somthing of interest.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Fairystyle wrote:

Not sure what I'm doing but I been hoping to find people who love to read the same things I do.

Ann:

Welcome – and no one here really knows what they're doing!  That's the beauty of these forums. It's not rocket science, it's just a bunch of people from all over the world who have fatefully found their way to this corner of the internet to talk about SF and fantasy. So, please, don't feel intimidated in any way – read the threads, posts your comments and enjoy!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Contributor
JamieGurl
0 Kudos

Well, then . . . My name is Jamie, and I'm from Bakersfield, CA. I'm an avid fantasy reader, but read other fiction, also. I love Anne McCaffrey's Dragonrider books, Rbert Asprin's Myth tales, Terry Pratchett's Discworld, Piers Anthony's Xanth, and many others. I'm aslo not afriad to admit I've read Harry Potter. I'm 24 and read the first book in seventh grade, around '97, I believe, so . . . there. :smileytongue: I wrote the nromal teen quota of angsty poetry in high school, but wasn't a bad writer despite that. Without the structure, I've sadly fallen out of practice.

Anyway . . . I actually found my way here because I was looking for a fantasy book club that meets in person in my city. I'm looking forward to discussing fantasy literature here.

New User
surferartchick
0 Kudos

Hey Jamie,

I'm from your hometown as well! :smileyvery-happy: Glad to have you! Although I don't do fantasy I look forward to your discussions!

-Surferartchick

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Yea! Another Discworld fan! Welcome Jaime! We're glad yer here!

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Inspired Contributor
LindsayLou
0 Kudos

Hiyaz! My Name is Lindsay. I am 22 yrs old. As to be expected, I am a major book reader, but I am also an aspiring novelist. Correction! I am a future Best Selling Author. Yay! I work two jobs to pay the bills while reading medieval fantasies to excape. I am unattached without children..unless you count pets. Then I have a rescued dog named, Suzie, and a Japanese Fighting Fish named, Ricky-- Lucy made a fatal jump while I was cleaning her bowl that sent her down the bathtub drain :smileysad: Any Whoo, I found this site while trying to figure out when Kristen Britain's next book in the Green Rider Series is going to come out. I still do not have my answer, but hopefully I will find out something soon. Light and Blessings -Lindsay 

Frequent Contributor
VTfan
0 Kudos

Hello Lindsay!  Sorry to hear of Lucy.  Hope you enjoy this site.  I read mostly SF.  But there are many Fantasy readers here and I'm sure you'll connect with them in due time.  Happy New Year!

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Lindsay,

The High King's Tomb which is the third book came out in November 2007 and so far I have not heard when Book 4 comes out though I have heard that she is working on it but no firm publication date.  I have a feeling that at earliest it will be November 2009 or 2010 before we see it.  By the way Welcome to the club

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Inspired Contributor
LindsayLou
0 Kudos

reply to VTfan

Thanks VTfan! So far I have really enjoyed this site. I watch a lot of SF, but have never read it. Not that I wont, but I’m just so obsessive about Fantasy that I cant pull myself from it-- I’m sure you understand J Oh and so far I have connected to many very pleasant Fantasy fans and they have been a big help. Happy New Year and Happy reading!

Inspired Contributor
LindsayLou
0 Kudos

Reply to Nelsmom

Thanks Nelsmom! I wish I would have read this message sooner. I’m at least glad to know she’s working on it. Because I hadn’t heard anything about the up-coming book and I don’t know anyone else who’s read them, I was concerned she may not finish it. It’s not like with the big name authors, where you basically hear about everything they’re doing. Any way, Thanks a bunch!

New User
GreatDekuTree
0 Kudos

Hello, my name is Kevin and i am 19 years old. I just recently decided to get into reading books. I mean I have been reading books all my life but it mostly has been only one or two books a year. I am a big fan of The Lord of the Rings and i am currently reading The Silmarillion and once i am done that i plan on moving to the The Children of Hurin. I am currently looking for other fantasy series to get into and after looking through these forums i am thinking of reading Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea series and George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. I will definitely be picking up Ken Scholes Lamentation when it comes out. I hope i can keep from be distracted by other things, and continue with my newly found love of reading.

Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

GreatDekuTree wrote:
Hello, my name is Kevin and i am 19 years old. I just recently decided to get into reading books. I mean I have been reading books all my life but it mostly has been only one or two books a year. I am a big fan of The Lord of the Rings and i am currently reading The Silmarillion and once i am done that i plan on moving to the The Children of Hurin. I am currently looking for other fantasy series to get into and after looking through these forums i am thinking of reading Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea series and George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. I will definitely be picking up Ken Scholes Lamentation when it comes out. I hope i can keep from be distracted by other things, and continue with my newly found love of reading.

Nice list, but you're missing one! The Name of the Wind by Patrick Ruthfuss!!! It is a must if you're getting into fantasy!! (*cough* Thank you, Paul.)
 The Inheritance Cycle is also really good, but it is an "acquired taste" kind of book. Very descriptive. But very good.
There's my contribution. Happy reading!

"When camping in Canada, do not wear fruity chapstick... you might get mauled by grizzly bears."
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Kevin Welcome,

If you keep checking the thread Best Epic Fantasy Book or Series I'm sure you will find lots of suggestions.  If you want something more along the lines of Space Opera or Military Fantasy then David Weber, David Drake and John Ringo are some of the best.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Kevin:

Welcome to the asylum – and great choice about Le Guin's Earthsea (if, in fact, you do decide to read it). The Earthsea trilogy is an undisputable classic fantasy saga and the inspiration for dozens of contemporary works. I challenge anyone to read Paolini's Inheritance Cycle, for example, to read the Earthsea saga and not find a lot of, ahem, thematic similarities. Additionally, I have always loved Le Guin's works because she's so deep and insightful but also write with a lyrical quality that makes whatever she writes flow like poetry.

And, Kevin, listen to avid – The Name of the Wind by Kevin Rothfuss is a modern day classic. I read a tonnage of this genre and this book is the best thing I've read in maybe the last decade. It will blow you away! (Get it? Name of the Wind, blow you away...) Yeah, I know – weak.  

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
New User
Tay1047
0 Kudos

HI!

I'm Taylor, I'm 18 years old.  I have been in this book group for... about 4 seconds.  I mostly read Sci-Fi/Fantasy stuff and a lot of comic books (Sandman, Justice league, The Walking dead etc.) but sometimes I branch out to non fiction or memoir type things.  I've always liked reading... it's just what I do...

I went to a really cool private boarding school in Iowa.  Best decision I ever made.  It's called Scattergood and I recieved an amazing education there.

That's all I can think of to say

-T
New User
Mora
0 Kudos

My Name is Amer I am Chief Audit Executive (CAE) in amultinational company located in US, Egypt, UAE, Syria, Qatar and many other countries.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Tay1047 wrote:

HI!

I'm Taylor, I'm 18 years old.  I have been in this book group for... about 4 seconds. 

Welcome Taylor – I hope those four seconds were good ones! :smileywink:

Paul 

Contributor
MelissaWhitt
0 Kudos

Hello paulgoatallen and everyone else!

I am Melissa Whitt from Southern California. I work as a crime journalist for a daily newspaper, and am also a part-time musician. I write fiction on the side. I have been reading sci-fi and fantasy most of my life and am a fan of Piers Anthony, Tolkien and many others. I also read quite a bit of paranormal romance.

Here's a link to my book if anyone's interested: Planet Gemini