Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Ninja_Monkey
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

My name is Laura and I do have an adiction to reading!  I know, I know, but I just can't help myself.  I enjoy anything that is fiction, but mainly sci-fi, mystery, and suspence are the top three.  My mom was told by my teacher in 2nd grade that I would probably not make it to college or go very far because I had a hard time reading.  My mom's response to this was, "Hell, No!"  So she took me to the closest bookstore and told me to pick out anything I wanted.  I looked around for about an hour and decided on Garfield book 1.  Once I inhaled that, the rest was history.  To me reading is better than TV, because while I read it's like I am watching a movie.:smileyvery-happy:  I have been to the past and future thanks to the world of books and my goal is to get everyone hooked. (insert evil laugh)  I'm off to convert others!
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Welcome Melissa and Laura! (I really want to ask about the username Ninja Monkey but I'll refrain, for now!)

Melissa, tell me about Planet Gemini – what's it about? And what has your experience been with dealing with PublishAmerica? Also, if you're into paranormal fantasy/romance, please check out the Paranormal Fantasy forum – we have authors visiting there all of the time. This month it's Adrian Phoenix!

Laura,  I completely agree with you concerning the significance of reading. It's not called "literary escapism" for nothing! And you don't have to "convert" any of us here – you're singing to the choir.

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Ninja_Monkey wrote:
My name is Laura and I do have an adiction to reading!  I know, I know, but I just can't help myself.  I enjoy anything that is fiction, but mainly sci-fi, mystery, and suspence are the top three.  My mom was told by my teacher in 2nd grade that I would probably not make it to college or go very far because I had a hard time reading.  My mom's response to this was, "Hell, No!"  So she took me to the closest bookstore and told me to pick out anything I wanted.  I looked around for about an hour and decided on Garfield book 1.  Once I inhaled that, the rest was history.  To me reading is better than TV, because while I read it's like I am watching a movie.:smileyvery-happy:  I have been to the past and future thanks to the world of books and my goal is to get everyone hooked. (insert evil laugh)  I'm off to convert others!

(chuckle) Ah welcome!

I've got a shirt that says "Be nice to me or I'll sick my ninja monkeys on you."

Great name!

Contributor
MelissaWhitt
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Welcome Melissa and Laura! (I really want to ask about the username Ninja Monkey but I'll refrain, for now!)

Melissa, tell me about Planet Gemini – what's it about? And what has your experience been with dealing with PublishAmerica? Also, if you're into paranormal fantasy/romance, please check out the Paranormal Fantasy forum – we have authors visiting there all of the time. This month it's Adrian Phoenix!

Thanks for the tip paulgoatallen!

Well, Planet Gemini is in the vein of Phillip K. Dick in that it deals with substance abuse and mind control. The back cover synopsis, which is not appearing on the site for some reason, is as follows:

When Don Eiron awakens on the streets of Venice Beach, California in the year 2117, he has no memory of his past, no money and no place to go. He eventually winds up in a cheap capsule high-rise, where the only comfort he gets from his coffin-like hatch is a few beers stashed in the wall and the virtual seduction of a nightclub singer named Gaza.

It's no wonder he's losing sleep.

Eiron thinks he's solved his problems when he picks up a lone business card off the dusty streets of Pomona. It leads him to Planet Gemini, where the work is plenty and the party never seems to end. The middle-aged barfly joins a flood of criminals, border jumpers and transients billions of miles across the universe.

But Gemini's liquor and drugs aren't what they seem. And its human workers are headed straight into danger, not a career path. If Eiron can sober up and unlock his amnesia in time, he just might get out alive. 

Dealing with Publish America has been an interesting experience so far. I know they have their critics, as everyone does, but I'm taking everything as a learning experience at this point, since it is my first novel.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting other readers and writers around here. Thanks for the welcome! 

New User
Ninja_Monkey
0 Kudos

I own one as well!  You know they are every where!  Not to mention they are the ones that steal one sock out of the dryer, so you are always having miss match socks!!!
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Hello, Everyone! ~~~

I don't have time right now to do a full introduction - any of you who were around for the Tolkien Book Club discussions probably know me all too well already...

But if anyone wants to look at my "B&N Profile" my personal profile is there...

I have to confess, I am not truly a real, hardcore Sci-Fi fanatic, although I have always felt a casual familiarity with the genre....have to come back later...

"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
New User
Renee-F
0 Kudos

Hello All:  I found this book club while searching the internet trying to locate a Sci/Fi (time travel) book that I read 15 or 20 years ago.  I have posted the information about it in the thread regarding Help.

I am 46 and have been an avid reader since my pre-teens.  I will read just about anything.  My favorites are  Time Travel (which I guess is Sci/Fi), Harry Potter, any thing by Julie Garwood, William Johnstone's Ashes Series.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Renee-F wrote:

Hello All:  I found this book club while searching the internet trying to locate a Sci/Fi (time travel) book that I read 15 or 20 years ago.  I have posted the information about it in the thread regarding Help.

I am 46 and have been an avid reader since my pre-teens.  I will read just about anything.  My favorites are  Time Travel (which I guess is Sci/Fi), Harry Potter, any thing by Julie Garwood, William Johnstone's Ashes Series.

Renee:

Welcome! What book were you trying to find? Maybe we can help right here... 

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
New User
Renee-F
0 Kudos

About 10 or 15 years ago I read a book that involved time travel (it was one of a series).  The book began in modern time on a ranch in the western portion of the US.  The family that owned the ranch knew of a "portal" between modern times and the ancient Vikings.  There was a spot on the ranch that appeared to be a hole in the ground and it allowed you to travel back and forth between the two ages.  Beyond that I don't remember a lot other than the modern family was actually made of of people from the 20th century and some from the past that had traveled forward.  There was also on character (female) that was having health issues (asthma and eyesight problems) and when she traveled to the past the problems went away.  The explaination for this in the book was that the air was cleaner and there was more oxygen in the air.  She chose to stay in the past.  There was a little romance in the book but it was not in a romance genre.  The romance was not the basis of the book.

That's about all I can remember except that I really loved the book and wish I had kept it.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Renee:

Believe it or not, there are quite a few romances dealing with time travel and Vikings but since you think this wasn't a "romance," I'll throw out some guesses:

- Poul Anderson's The Man Who Came Home Early (1956)

-  The Book of Kells by R.A. MacAvoy (1985)

Was it classified as Young Adult? That would narrow the search down quite a bit...

Paul 

Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Renee:

Believe it or not, there are quite a few romances dealing with time travel and Vikings but since you think this wasn't a "romance," I'll throw out some guesses:

- Poul Anderson's The Man Who Came Home Early (1956)

-  The Book of Kells by R.A. MacAvoy (1985)

Was it classified as Young Adult? That would narrow the search down quite a bit...

Paul 

Paul.... you amaze me! How many books have you read??? I mean, I could probably spit out the most incredibly random plot specifications and you could give me a list of 3 items or more. It's funny, and completely baffling. 
 I wish I have red as many books as you.... I would be a much happier person. 

"When camping in Canada, do not wear fruity chapstick... you might get mauled by grizzly bears."
New User
Renee-F
0 Kudos

It was not classified as young adult.  I will check out the two you mentioned.  Thanks.
New User
US-AIR-FORCE-55
0 Kudos

hey any body talk about books
Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

US-AIR-FORCE-55 wrote:
hey any body talk about books

We ALL talk about books- and we do it a lot!! What are you reading right now?? What's your favorite book ever, and what kind of books do you like the best? How tall is your TBR (to be read) pile, and do you know where your towel is?

Welcome to the group!

There are more of us than you think.
Contributor
rustyw
0 Kudos

Hello all. My name is Russell and I am a readaholic. I never would have called myself a fantasy kinda guy. I had a girlfriend who got me started on the Wheel of Time series when I was in high school and I have really enjoyed all of them (stoked to hear Brandon Sanderson is gonna finish the series!!!) but for the most part I was always a Sandford/Baldacci/Koontz/King guy. Recently started reading the Shannara series and absolutely loved them. Now I can't stop. I am currently reading Eldon Thompson and the Obsidian Key and am looking forward to starting some Salvatore soon. Just hoping to find some good book ideas and some people who share my addiction.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Russell,

Welcome and you have come to the right place.  I'm sure you will find all the suggestions you want.  Just dive right in and post your comments on any thread or start one if you want.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Contributor
qwertbook82
0 Kudos

Hi, I am a high school senior who procrastinates by searching for new books to read. I have problems finding new authors to read because none of my friends read the same kinds of books I do (most don't read much at all). I am into mostly epic fantasy, but I read other kinds of fantasy and some light sci-fi. I like books with characters that are witty and complex.

Favorite Book: The Princess Bride by William Goldman

Favorite Author (the qualifications are that I have to have at least read all of said author's books which disqualifies the author of my favorite book) : Patrick Rothfuss (Name of the Wind)

Favorite Series: Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Hello Again, Everyone ~~~

To elaborate a little on my last letter, I have to confess, I am not the Great Book Reader I was in my youth...In fact, it's been a case of a sort of "progressive inverse proportion" decline in my reading habits over the years - I'm not sure what the exact mathematical formula would be that would represent this, but as my years add up in number, the number of books I have read each year has diminished...

I chalk this up to a long-time hardcore TV addiction ( & nowadays, a DVD  & Internet addiction as well ) as well as an advanced case of Adult Attention Deficit Disorder ( never officially diagnosed ), plus, simply being distracted by the everyday distractions of everday life...  

I try not to discuss ( here at the Book Club ) anything which I am not actually familiar with, any books which I have not actually read ( at one time or another, and, in my youth, when I was a voracious reader, I did read many books ) or movies I have'nt seen, etcetera...

"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

qwertbook82 wrote:

Favorite Author (the qualifications are that I have to have at least read all of said author's books which disqualifies the author of my favorite book) : Patrick Rothfuss (Name of the Wind)

Hey Qwert:

You're starting out on the right foot – Patrick Rothfuss is an exceptional writer. If you like him, be sure to check out Ken Scholes' debut Lamentation next month. You'll definitely thank me afterwards...

Paul 

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

oldBPLstackdenizen wrote:

Hello Again, Everyone ~~~

To elaborate a little on my last letter, I have to confess, I am not the Great Book Reader I was in my youth...In fact, it's been a case of a sort of "progressive inverse proportion" decline in my reading habits over the years - I'm not sure what the exact mathematical formula would be that would represent this, but as my years add up in number, the number of books I have read each year has diminished...

I chalk this up to a long-time hardcore TV addiction ( & nowadays, a DVD  & Internet addiction as well ) as well as an advanced case of Adult Attention Deficit Disorder ( never officially diagnosed ), plus, simply being distracted by the everyday distractions of everday life...  

I try not to discuss ( here at the Book Club ) anything which I am not actually familiar with, any books which I have not actually read ( at one time or another, and, in my youth, when I was a voracious reader, I did read many books ) or movies I have'nt seen, etcetera...

Ardo:

Even though I review books for a living, I completely understand what you're going through. When I was a kid, it seemed like I had all the time in the world to devour books but as I've gotten older everyday life intervenes – and those "free" hours that I had in my youth are suddenly nonexistent. Ah, to be young again...

Paul