Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Hi Im Krista im 22 from NC and Really new to this. I have only recently fell in love with reading I know it sucks but better late than never right and I dont know what I ever did with out it LOL!! But here I am and I love Fantasy, adventure and romance and I was wondering For any suggestions on really good books!!!
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Welcome Krista,

I hope you have a good time with us and some good fantasy books that you might like to start with our Robin Hobbs' Farseer trilogy that starts with Apprentice Assissian.  Or you might Elizabeth Hayden's series that starts with Rhapsody.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Contributor
Brisbey
0 Kudos

Hi everyone!

I've posted a couple of times already, but I thought I'd drop a line here.

I'm Brisbey, 29-year-old bookseller at my local B&N.  I've been reading Fantasy books as long as I can remember.  I've got a pretty lengthy list of favorite authors, so I'll just stick to my recent fandom, being Patrick Rothfuss.  I read The Name of the Wind because everyone on this board said it was fantastic - and it was!

I think that about covers it for me!

=====
- Brisbey

[Insert witty, meaningful or absurd quote here.]
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:

Welcome Krista,

I hope you have a good time with us and some good fantasy books that you might like to start with our Robin Hobbs' Farseer trilogy that starts with Apprentice Assissian.  Or you might Elizabeth Hayden's series that starts with Rhapsody.

Toni

Hi Toni nice to met you and thanks for the book ideas i will have to try those thanks again !!

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

carmen22 wrote:
Hi Im Krista im 22 from NC and Really new to this. I have only recently fell in love with reading I know it sucks but better late than never right and I dont know what I ever did with out it LOL!! But here I am and I love Fantasy, adventure and romance and I was wondering For any suggestions on really good books!!!

Welcome, Krista! I'll give you the "hot" fantasy books right now – The Name of the Wind by Rothfuss (awesome!) and Lamentation by Ken Scholes (coming out in a few days and equally awesome). These two novels are arguably some of the BEST fantasy releases in the last decade. They're that good.

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Welcome, Krista! I'll give you the "hot" fantasy books right now – The Name of the Wind by Rothfuss (awesome!) and Lamentation by Ken Scholes (coming out in a few days and equally awesome). These two novels are arguably some of the BEST fantasy releases in the last decade. They're that good.

Paul 

THANKS ILL CHECK THOSE OUT FOR SURE!!!!!

Contributor
Lunanshee
0 Kudos

Hello, I'm Lunanshee - 26, a librarian and avid devourer of books. I'm relativly new to the boards (I've been kind of floating around reading things, but not posting).  I started reading fantasy with Tamora Pierce in 4th Grade and proceded through McCaffery, Lackey, Card, Green etc.  Currently really enjoying re-reading the Dresden Files - very excited about Turn Coat coming out soon!  I also read a lot of YA/Teen material for my job and have found some very good fantasy for that age group. 

New User
J_fromOhio
0 Kudos

Hey! I'm J, I'm 23 and a single mother from Ohio. I read a lot of fantasy books (WOT, most recently).  This is the first time I've posted to somthing like this.  How is everyone?  I'm looking foward to being a part of the B&N community. :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
lordfeyr
0 Kudos

Good morning,

My name is Jonathan and I am a book wh***!  The first step to recovery is being able to admit there is a problem....

I am 26 and when I was in high school I fell in with a unique group of people with different styles.  Jocks, Nerds, Average, Band members etc...  One thing they all had in common was the love of fantasy!  Any not the kind you watch early in the morning on cinemax, but the kinds with elves and wizards, warriors and princesses.  All I knew at the time was that these guys were fun to be around. 

One day one of them offered me the first book in the Wheel of Time series.  From then on I was hooked, and grabbed everything I could find.  I now have a bookcase that is taller than me full of nothing but fantasy books and the occasional school book from college.

To be honest though, I never really got into the Sci-fi stuff other than star wars and Mystery Science Theatre, though I did love some of those tv shows like quantum leap.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Welcome, Lunanshee, J from Ohio, and Jonathan – I hope that you find this forum as enjoyable  – and informative – as I do. If any of you have any questions at all (What is the meaning of life? How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?), just drop me a line!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
New User
Shalafi
0 Kudos

I just want to thank you guys that have been talking up The Name of the Wind. This past Christmas I got quite a bit of B&N giftcards and decided to give the book a go. Wow. I couldn't put it down. Now I can't wait for the next one!
Correspondent
BookLoverDT
0 Kudos

Hello all Fantasy & Science Fiction lovers.

My name is Sandra I am 25 and I work in a library (which is GREAT for me). I was turned onto Fantasy books about 2 years ago. So far my favorite authors so far are: Charlaine Harris, Kim Harrison, Patricia Briggs, Stephenie Meyer, and J.K Rowling. ( I am still looking for some authors to add to the collection). I would love any recommendations to some great Fantasy authors especially books about the supernatural.

This is my first time to the book club and can not wait to start talking about some good books.

That's all for now.

"Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less."-Marie Curie
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Welcome Sandra,

I hope you enjoy being with us.  Paul is a great moderator and you can PM with any questions or suggestions and he is pretty good at answering them.  So just dive right in the company is very friendly.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:

Paul is a great moderator and you can PM with any questions or suggestions and he is pretty good at answering them.

Thanks, Toni!   :smileyhappy:

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul 

Hey Paul I just started The Name of the Wind and so far its really good and thanks for the suggestion!!

Krista

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

carmen22 wrote:

Hey Paul I just started The Name of the Wind and so far its really good and thanks for the suggestion!!

Krista

You're welcome, Krista – that's what I'm here for!     :smileyhappy:

Paul 

New User
rmbrooks
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

I'm Rebecca (or just Bex), I'm in my 20s and I like to read just about anything as long as it's well written.  I have an English minor and a Master's in Psychology.  Not too much interesting about me, but I grew up on books and I guess I always preferred fantasy.  The first books I remember reading on my own were the Dear Dragon series.  I remember our school library had a long shelf of those books but I've never met anyone else who heard of them.   My aunt was a librarian and of course my parents encouraged reading, and when Star Wars hit for the second time, I read the books associated with that. That's what brought me over to the sci-fi/fantasy shelves in the stores as a young adult, and that's mostly where I roam now.  My college roommates were elementary education majors so I ended up reading a lot of their YA fantasy stuff like Inkheart, Eragon, and Twilight.  I joined this forum because I don't have a good network anymore to tell me what's new and what's good, so I'm hoping to gleam a little of that from you guys!  I loved Bones of the Dragon and Suicide Collectors, so I'm waiting to see what else is up your sleeves.  

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

rmbrooks wrote:

Hi guys,

I'm Rebecca (or just Bex), I'm in my 20s and I like to read just about anything as long as it's well written.  I have an English minor and a Master's in Psychology.  Not too much interesting about me, but I grew up on books and I guess I always preferred fantasy.  The first books I remember reading on my own were the Dear Dragon series.  I remember our school library had a long shelf of those books but I've never met anyone else who heard of them.   My aunt was a librarian and of course my parents encouraged reading, and when Star Wars hit for the second time, I read the books associated with that. That's what brought me over to the sci-fi/fantasy shelves in the stores as a young adult, and that's mostly where I roam now.  My college roommates were elementary education majors so I ended up reading a lot of their YA fantasy stuff like Inkheart, Eragon, and Twilight.  I joined this forum because I don't have a good network anymore to tell me what's new and what's good, so I'm hoping to gleam a little of that from you guys!  I loved Bones of the Dragon and Suicide Collectors, so I'm waiting to see what else is up your sleeves.  

Hey Bex:

I'm so psyched that you enjoyed Suicide Collectors – I wish more people had read it. Oh well, it's their loss. We've got some amazing apocalyptic fiction releases coming up as features in April – check out the April Preview thread for the details!

Paul 

New User
TIPER
0 Kudos

Hello everyone I am  Tiffany A. Saling, and I am a 21 year old wife and mother of none.. I enjoy reading any thing that is unusual.. I am a paranormal freak... It started in high school although my authors have really expanded in the last two years.. I started off with twilight and wham I am hooked on vampire books... moved on to Charlean Harris and oh my God I love her. The world she created in the Sookie Stackhouse series is wonderful.. Not only do I get vampires but I also get wares and faries.  just looking for any suggestions...

Tiffany

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Tiffiany,

I am glad that you joined us and if you check out the , Currently reading thread I think that you will get all the suggestions you could possible read (and then some).

Toni

Message Edited by Nelsmom on 02-18-2009 05:40 PM
Toni L. Chapman