Contributor
Jesse_Bullington

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Hi all,

I noticed that my novel The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart was one of the December picks for the book club and thought it best to sign up and introduce myself post haste. I really appreciate your taking a chance on it, and if you have any questions, comments, or threats I'd love to hear them. More info on this and other projects can be found at my website www.jessebullington.com, and thanks again!

Jesse

PS- In terms of contemporary fantasy I'm a big fan of Joe Abercrombie, Cherie Priest, Jeff VanderMeer, Clive Barker, Brian Evenson, Caitlin R. Kiernan, Amanda Downum, Alan Moore, Warren Ellis, and plenty I'm forgetting, and in re: older authors I adore Jack Vance, Angela Carter, Roald Dahl, Edward Gorey, Clark Ashton Smith, Robert E. Howard, Lovecraft, Tolkien, Borges, Calvino, William Hope Hodgson, and William Beckford (whose Gothic fantasy Vathek I highly recommend to fans of the aforementioned original Weird Tales crew).

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Jesse_Bullington wrote:

Hi all,

I noticed that my novel The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart was one of the December picks for the book club and thought it best to sign up and introduce myself post haste. I really appreciate your taking a chance on it, and if you have any questions, comments, or threats I'd love to hear them. More info on this and other projects can be found at my website www.jessebullington.com, and thanks again!

Jesse

PS- In terms of contemporary fantasy I'm a big fan of Joe Abercrombie, Cherie Priest, Jeff VanderMeer, Clive Barker, Brian Evenson, Caitlin R. Kiernan, Amanda Downum, Alan Moore, Warren Ellis, and plenty I'm forgetting, and in re: older authors I adore Jack Vance, Angela Carter, Roald Dahl, Edward Gorey, Clark Ashton Smith, Robert E. Howard, Lovecraft, Tolkien, Borges, Calvino, William Hope Hodgson, and William Beckford (whose Gothic fantasy Vathek I highly recommend to fans of the aforementioned original Weird Tales crew).

Welcome Jesse!!

It is great to have authors drop by when we are discussing the books.  We really enjoy it.  I hope you will stick around and join in with us.  It always means a lot to us to have you chime in with us.

I have already purchased the book and look forward to start reading it here next week.  I am going to have to go check out your site as well.  I love looking around for more information and stuff on books.

Hope to see you around in the discussion!

Melissa

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Jesse will be stopping by in December... I just emailed him with a list of bribes. :smileyhappy:

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

paulgoatallen wrote:

Jesse will be stopping by in December... I just emailed him with a list of bribes. :smileyhappy:

Paul

Do lollypops and unicorn stickers work that good?  :smileywink:  You do still have 2 children, right?

You are the best Paul!  We love having the authors around!

Did you warn him about us?  I guess he didn't get scared off then...  We will try to play as nice as we can. lol.  I am excited to read this book now.  I am working on a book now and hope to be done this weekend (with thanksgiving) and start into Brothers Grossbart next week for the discussion as I go.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul

Do lollypops and unicorn stickers work that good?  :smileywink:  You do still have 2 children, right?

Did you warn him about us?  I guess he didn't get scared off then...  We will try to play as nice as we can. lol.  I am excited to read this book now.  I am working on a book now and hope to be done this weekend (with thanksgiving) and start into Brothers Grossbart next week for the discussion as I go.

Wow. Great guess, Melissa – they were actually turkey stickers for Thanksgiving! Gobble gobble...

And, no, I didn't warn him – I thought it would be more entertaining (for us) that way!

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
Januss331
0 Kudos

Do I wanna know?

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Melhay wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul

Wow. Great guess, Melissa – they were actually turkey stickers for Thanksgiving! Gobble gobble...

And, no, I didn't warn him – I thought it would be more entertaining (for us) that way!

Paul

**grinning** Hehehe (rubbing hands together)

New User
PaulyNY
0 Kudos

New to bookclubs of anykind

My name is Paul and I've never done any kind of bookclub, but I figure I have to start somewhere.

I guess I'll introduce myself my name is Paul and I live in Rochester, NY. I am 28 years old.  MY wife Julie and I are currently expecting a baby girl in about a week. My first.. I really started getting back into reading when I was in Iraq.  I don't know how this book club works from here but I will try to figure it out. Just asking that you be a little patient with me.

PaulyNY

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom

Re: New to bookclubs of anykind

Welcome Paul,

Congrats on the baby and all you need to do is just post a reply in whatever thread you want or even start your own thread if you have a book or author you would like to talk about.  Hope you have a great time.  Paul our moderator is a great guy and picks some great books for us to read each month.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Contributor
StephanieRaye
0 Kudos

Hi I'm Steph. New to this club but am liking it very much! I'm a 25 year old newlywed who LOVES to read anytime I get to but especially while the hubby is playing video games. I'm mostly into SciFi, Suspense, Mystery, & some horror but I like all intertwined with a romance. Lately I've been reading young adult or teen books & sometimes I feel like I'm the only 25 year old that reads teen books which may seem silly but I can't help myself or my imagination. Is there anyone else like me out there?!?!?!

I'm ALWAYS looking for new reads!!!

SRJohnson

ALWAYS looking for new reads!!!
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Welcome Stephanie,

And no you are not the only one that is not a young adult that reads those books.  In fact there are a lot of us who do.  I am glad that you are enjoying the book clubs and hope that you get involved in the discussions.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

StephanieRaye wrote:
I'm ALWAYS looking for new reads!!!

Welcome, Stephanie! You definitely came to the right place!

Paul

New User
MonkyMan
0 Kudos

i am anda i am super new  not one for the grammer so forgive me  never done a book club let alone online so hints and tricks for ease and understandin whats happanin would be sweet.  thanks so much

Frequent Contributor
Januss331

Stephanie, I believe I saw another group stating the same as you. Whether it was on BN or some other website, I can't say. Sorry! However, I know you're not alone as I always see folks around our age (I'm 25 too) skulking around the young adult section. It's somewhat amusing as they're always embarrassed about it and I just say, you're reading for pleasure! Don't be worried what people are thinking, you read what you want to read, what makes you happy! Who cares what other people think you should read or not read.

Anywho, if you're into Fantasy with a heavy Romance theme, read ANY of Jacqueline Carey's novels. Although I highly recommend starting with Kushiel's Dart as it starts off her entire series. There are 3 triplets in it so far. Dart, Avatar, Chosen. Then (something, I can't remember the name), Justice, Mercy. And the new one is Namaah's Kiss with 2 more to follow. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have, they've had a tremendous impact on the way I view life.

New User
Sky-san
0 Kudos

'Ello all, I would be what my pen name refers to me as.  I am a 16 year old student in high school only, so I'm rather young at the moment.  However, I have a love for science fiction and fantasy.  My firs fantasy author would have been...oh, maybe Roald Dahl, with his relatively dark children's books.  Then Piers Anthony, who I like very much.  I've read Heinlein and Donaldson and McCaffery and Douglas Adams as well.  And Dune.  Gotta love Dune.  I'm reading Asimov at the moment and The Stainless Steel Rat and trying to keep up on Battlefield Earth as well.  I have an open mind for most literature as long as it is...well, good.  I don't have much love for a large amount of teen fiction, however. 

Paul, I have to say that I am jealous of you because you were able to interview Anne McCaffery.  So jealous...

---Reading : Foundation by Isaac Asimov---
Frequent Contributor
Januss331
0 Kudos

Ermm...no offense Sky, but you're one of the more literate 16 year olds I've ever seen write. Maybe the 16 year olds I see are confined to the nature of the platform (used to be WoW-I had to work very hard to break my fiancé of the addiction to that game, wow she loved it-no pun intended...) but hell, look at some of the "adults" writing on various blogs. 

Anywho, howdy! I have never met anyone else who had read and liked Piers Anthony! I started with Piers, Melanie Rawn and Brian Jacques for my reading love affair!

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Sky-san wrote:

'Ello all, I would be what my pen name refers to me as.  I am a 16 year old student in high school only, so I'm rather young at the moment.  However, I have a love for science fiction and fantasy.  My firs fantasy author would have been...oh, maybe Roald Dahl, with his relatively dark children's books.  Then Piers Anthony, who I like very much.  I've read Heinlein and Donaldson and McCaffery and Douglas Adams as well.  And Dune.  Gotta love Dune.  I'm reading Asimov at the moment and The Stainless Steel Rat and trying to keep up on Battlefield Earth as well.  I have an open mind for most literature as long as it is...well, good.  I don't have much love for a large amount of teen fiction, however. 

Paul, I have to say that I am jealous of you because you were able to interview Anne McCaffery.  So jealous...

Sky:

You seem similar to me when I was your age – I read everything! I have to tell you, in all seriousness, reading consistently at such an early age has enriched and improved my life in so many ways – even in things that we take for granted, like filling out a resume or talking with a client... When I managed bookstores and later when I worked as a managing editor for a few newspapers, I was always surprised by how many college graduates couldn't even write a complete sentence or articulate their goals and dreams! Your love of reading will open up more doors than you realize – trust me on that....

And, yes, I am sooooooo lucky to be able to interview all of the authors that I do! Anne McCaffrey was one of my very first interviews and I was so nervous! But, wow, she turned out to be so nice and so genuine and so unbelievably honest! When she was talking about researching and writing about aliens having sex, I really did think that I had entered some kind of Twilight Zone state....

If you have any questions, feel free to message me!    :smileyhappy:

Paul

Paul

Contributor
StephanieRaye
0 Kudos

Thanks Januss331 I'll definetly look into those books!

SRJohnson

ALWAYS looking for new reads!!!
Correspondent
ParkerS17
0 Kudos

Hi I'm Parker, an 18 year old college student from Utah. 

I've loved reading for as long as I can remember (I used to get in trouble in elementary school because I'd be reading a book under my desk when my teacher was talking).  I started looking at these discussions so I could find some new books or series to start on.  Fantasy and Science Fiction are definitely my favorite genres. 

I want to be an author at some point in my life too; I have lots of story ideas, but only a few more developed ones.

Hands, like secrets, are the hardest thing to keep from you
Lines and phrases, like knives, your words can cut me through
Dismantle me down (repair) you dismantle me, you dismantle me
Contributor
Tektonica
0 Kudos

You are in luck!  This is a great place to be for suggestions.

You also live in a state with a number of great fantasy writers.  Brandon Sanderson, who is finishing the Robert Jordan series, The Wheel of Time, lives in Utah and teaches at Brigham Young Univerisity, I believe.  Check out his website.  I think Raymond Feist may live and work in Utah too.  

Sanderson's Mistborn series might intrigue you.  Welcome!