Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Tektonica wrote:

You are in luck!  This is a great place to be for suggestions.

You also live in a state with a number of great fantasy writers.  Brandon Sanderson, who is finishing the Robert Jordan series, The Wheel of Time, lives in Utah and teaches at Brigham Young Univerisity, I believe.  Check out his website.  I think Raymond Feist may live and work in Utah too.  

Sanderson's Mistborn series might intrigue you.  Welcome!  

Wow..... Tektonica, you're back! Welcome home@! What's it been , almost a year?
Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Correspondent
ParkerS17
0 Kudos

Yeah Brandon Sanderson is my favorite author, I'm actually even going to see him at a book signing tomorrow!  Are there any other authors that you would suggest? If Sanderson was your first recomendation, I trust all of your recommendations to be good.

Hands, like secrets, are the hardest thing to keep from you
Lines and phrases, like knives, your words can cut me through
Dismantle me down (repair) you dismantle me, you dismantle me
paulgoatallen

ParkerS17 wrote:

Yeah Brandon Sanderson is my favorite author, I'm actually even going to see him at a book signing tomorrow!  Are there any other authors that you would suggest? If Sanderson was your first recomendation, I trust all of your recommendations to be good.

Parker:

If you're a big Brandon Sanderson fan, you're going to L-O-V-E Ken Scholes – and I'll stake my reputation as a book reviewer on that statement!

Paul

Lamentation (Psalms of Isaak Series #1)

Canticle (Psalms of Isaak Series #2)

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Correspondent
ParkerS17
0 Kudos

alright thanks! I'll have to look into those, the little summary sounded very interesting.  I'll let you know what I think about them.

Contributor
Tektonica
0 Kudos

Robin Hobb's, The Farseer Trilogy and the Tawny Man Trilogy would be at the top of my list. They tell the saga of The Fitz, my favorite all time character.

Raymond Feist's, The Riftwar series, first book is The Magicians Apprentice, is a good place to start with Feist.  He has many books, most good, and some wonderful characters.

Ursula LeGuin is always thought provoking.  And George RR Martin is a very good writer, but very violent.

Be prepared for that, or wait awhile.  

I'm so jealous of you meeting Sanderson!  He did an amazing job picking up where Robert Jordan left off in the Wheel of Time....give him a thank you for me!

BTW, if you haven't read The Wheel of Time, it is a MUST!!  Extraordinary world building and amazing characters.  

Enjoy!

Contributor
Tektonica
0 Kudos

Nice to be missed!  I've been lost in Feist and then Rereading the Wheel of Time, preparing for The Gathering Storm, which came out last month.  Been spending time on various blogs about that, but I lurk around here alot!  Seems everything is humming along!

Correspondent
ParkerS17
0 Kudos

Yeah it was great to meet Brandon Sanderson because he's one of my heroes.  He had a ton of interesting things to say, and he gave me some excellent advice too.  I've started The Wheel of Time series, but I have a long way to go before I'll get to the books that Sanderson is finishing haha.  I'll have look into those other books you mentioned, thanks for the recommendations.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

ParkerS,

I have to agree with Paul.  You should LOVE Ken Scholes.  We have read and discussed his 2 books that are out.  Maybe check out those threads while or when you read them.  We had a lot of fun with those books as well.  We are impatiently waiting for book three to come out here next year.  Would love to hear what you think of them too.

Melissa

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Contributor
Tektonica
0 Kudos

Parker,

Great that you met Brandon Sanderson!  Lucky fellow.  And glad to hear you have started the Wheel of Time.  You are in for a great ride.  There are many discussion forums about the Wheel of Time on line.  Tor.com is doing a reread through all of the books, chapter by chapter, but don't read them until you've read a chapter, as they are full of spoilers.  There is a site called the 13th Depository that has mega research on the characters, myths, plot lines, foreshadowing, etc.  Knowing some of the background helps in appreciating Jordan's world and myth building, but again, beware spoilers.  There's quite a community out here waiting for you!

Frequent Contributor
Januss331

I just added Ken Scholes to my list. Darn you people, I have to work, not read all day! Paul, want to switch jobs?

On a side note, I am currently reading one of the free eBooks I got from BN, Templar Legacy by Steve Berry. I'm a sucker for this sort of thing (but really did not enjoy DaVinci code). Pretty good so far!

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Januss331 wrote:

I just added Ken Scholes to my list. Darn you people, I have to work, not read all day! Paul, want to switch jobs?

On a side note, I am currently reading one of the free eBooks I got from BN, Templar Legacy by Steve Berry. I'm a sucker for this sort of thing (but really did not enjoy DaVinci code). Pretty good so far!

Hey, The Templar Legacy was pretty good. I'm not so sure about switching jobs, J. I'll stick with mine!  :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Redeyes

Hello!

My name is Bill, I'm 52, married and I just got a shiny new nook. I've always liked the idea of ebooks, but curling up on the couch with a laptop never appealed to me. Did just that last night, technology, form and function finally in harmony.

I'm a science fiction reader primarily, my first book on the nook is Destroyer of Worlds, which is a perfect give away of my tastes. The harder the science the more I like it. Clarke, Asimov, Herbert, Pohl,  Niven, were the authors I grew  up with and I still prefer books that follow in their footsteps.

Hoping to read some reviews from like minded people here and avoid spending precious reading time on books I won't appreciate and get tips on books I will.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Welcome, Bill – you're definitely in the right place. If you like hard, intelligent SF a la Asimov and Clarke I would highly suggest The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi.

Paul

The Windup Girl

New User
Pixie_Lated

Hi! I'm Molly. I'm a 19-year-old college student and I've been addicted to the written word since I was 9. I've read- and loved- the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but find myself more at home in the absurdity of Terry Pratchetts Discworld books, and Salamon Rushdie's Haroun and the Sea of Stories. Most of my Sci-Fi experiance is through movies and TV, but Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, Cats Craddle, and an assortment of short stories have been checked off my to do list. I'm not really picky about what I read. Give me a good story and some interesting characters and I'm there.

"I don't care what is written about me as long as it isn't true" ~ Dorothy Parker
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Pixie_Lated wrote:

Hi! I'm Molly. I'm a 19-year-old college student and I've been addicted to the written word since I was 9. I've read- and loved- the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but find myself more at home in the absurdity of Terry Pratchetts Discworld books, and Salamon Rushdie's Haroun and the Sea of Stories. Most of my Sci-Fi experiance is through movies and TV, but Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, Cats Craddle, and an assortment of short stories have been checked off my to do list. I'm not really picky about what I read. Give me a good story and some interesting characters and I'm there.

Welcome Molly!  Looks as though you are in the right place here with many other people. Paul picks out three books to feature each month, and they are usually on the nose and very good reads.  Hope you enjoy the picks with us along with the discussions we get going.  Characters are one of my top must be's in a book, I love the world creating as well, all grouped in the delivery of the author. 

Welcome to the boards and hope to see you around!

Melissa

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Contributor
JBump30
0 Kudos

Hello fellow Sci-Fi/Fantasy Fans, I am JBUMP30 and I am new to this book club. I just ordered my nook today (with some money from Mrs. Claus :smileyhappy:) and I am excited to read more sci-fi books in the e-book format. I look forward to chatting with you all in future forums and blogs. So far, my favorite Sci-Fi authors are Orson Scott Card, Fred Saberhagen, Octavia Butler, Jim Butcher, Cinda WIlliams Chima, Tamora Pierce, and anyone who writes Wolverine/Weapon X pocket book novels. Thanks in advance for the warm welcome and responses to my introduction.
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Hi JBUMP! Welcome to the party. You're in good company.

Contributor
Redeyes
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Welcome, Bill – you're definitely in the right place. If you like hard, intelligent SF a la Asimov and Clarke I would highly suggest The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi.

Paul

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Welcome all of you newcomers! You've come at a perfect time too – there are lots of amazing book discussions and author visits planned for 2010. It's going to be a glorious year! (can you say "Antiphon"?")

Paul

New User
Kalabaan
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to all of this, I love to read though. I am a huge fan of Sci-Fi/Fantasy, but also enjoy other genres. Some of my favorite authors - Goodkind, Newcomb, Gould, Lawhead. There are also some authors that I enjoy some of their books, but not others, it's sort of odd. Like I loved "The Hobbit", but I can't seem to get into "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy. The same is true with Terry Brooks and Douglas Adams.

I've also read some of the "classics" - i, robot; Stranger in a Strange Land; Dune

I'm always on the look for new books and great classics. I decided to join up here to be around people that love reading the Sci-Fi/Fantasy novels, and to share my love of reading.