Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Magai
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Greetings everyone,

I found these boards after browsing around the B&N site after purchasing a Nook. So a little about me: I am a network engineer for a large datacenter company in the Southern US. I have been a voracious reader for as long as I can remember, starting with the little Golden books I had a child and progressing my way up until now with stops in fantasy worlds and dabbling in science fiction. I love the Star Wars books, as well as the Forgotten Realms books, the Ender's series, Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, LOTR, and various video game spin-off books. Oh yea, i'm a gamer also (no WoW though, kinda burned out on it).

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Magai wrote:

Greetings everyone,

I found these boards after browsing around the B&N site after purchasing a Nook. So a little about me: I am a network engineer for a large datacenter company in the Southern US. I have been a voracious reader for as long as I can remember, starting with the little Golden books I had a child and progressing my way up until now with stops in fantasy worlds and dabbling in science fiction. I love the Star Wars books, as well as the Forgotten Realms books, the Ender's series, Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, LOTR, and various video game spin-off books. Oh yea, i'm a gamer also (no WoW though, kinda burned out on it).

Hey dude welcome to the party! You're in good company.

Distinguished Correspondent
SPCAT
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
" I will not be triumphed over " - Cleopatra
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

SPCAT wrote:

Some of our regulars very well may be creatures! (myself included!)   :smileyhappy:

Paul
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Reader 2
Nneka
0 Kudos

Hello my name is Nneka, I'm stay at home mom and I live in the small state of Delaware.  I recently became interested in paranormal books I also like mysteries and suspense novel and every girl loves a good romance novel especially if is a paranormal romance.  I'm very new to this but my nook has showed me things I didn't even know about. 

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nneka wrote:

Hello my name is Nneka, I'm stay at home mom and I live in the small state of Delaware.  I recently became interested in paranormal books I also like mysteries and suspense novel and every girl loves a good romance novel especially if is a paranormal romance.  I'm very new to this but my nook has showed me things I didn't even know about. 

Nneka:

Welcome to our little secret bibliophilic haven! If you're into paranormal fantasy or romance, check out the Paranormal forum –

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Paranormal-Urban-Fantasy/bd-p/vpttn

There are literary hundreds of new releases being discussed there – and if you have any questions, feel free to message me!  :smileyhappy:

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
SPCAT
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

SPCAT wrote:

Some of our regulars very well may be creatures! (myself included!)   :smileyhappy:

Paul

I knew it!!!!! Now I'm definitely in the right crowd.

New User
bagrimm
0 Kudos

My name is Annie, I am 33 years old.  I have 2 children, and a auto mechanic business man for a hubby!  I work at our local library.  Which I so love!  Just got myself the Nook!  So I am excited to be able to download all my books into this little gaget!  I love to crochet, outdoor things like camping, gardening, flowers, we have 3 dogs and 5 rabbits!  I also love to scrapbook, and do crafts with my children!  I love all sorts of books;  fantasy, christian, mysteries, etc.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

bagrimm wrote:

My name is Annie, I am 33 years old.  I have 2 children, and a auto mechanic business man for a hubby!  I work at our local library.  Which I so love!  Just got myself the Nook!  So I am excited to be able to download all my books into this little gaget!  I love to crochet, outdoor things like camping, gardening, flowers, we have 3 dogs and 5 rabbits!  I also love to scrapbook, and do crafts with my children!  I love all sorts of books;  fantasy, christian, mysteries, etc.

Hi, Annie – welcome to the forums! Enjoy your time on the threads....

Paul

New User
xax1s
0 Kudos

Hi.  I'm Eric from mNY.  I enjoy reading quite a bit.  I even have an ereader.  Just Sony Ereader.  I enjoy clasic SciFi (HG Wells.)  Kitty Norville is good, and good looking. If you want to start scifi, start here.  Asimov is good.  One would be suprised to find scifi series in other genres (Dark Hunter series.)  Anyeay, Energize!

New User
Chadao

Hi, I am Pierce Watters, Senior Book Editor for the Planet Stories line of books from Paizo Publishing. Over 35 years in publishing I have been in sales, marketing, editing, and worked as a buyer. I study Chinese tea culture with a Chinese Tea Master, hence the moniker "Chadao" The Way of Tea, my Tea Master has a book coming in November, A Tea Lover's Travel Diary. Yours truly is responsible for the English language text. I have written the occasional article for Kungfu magazine and taught Tai Chi Chuan in Seattle's Chinatown for ten years. I have written book reviews for The New York Review of Science Fiction, Kobold Quarterly magazine, and Dragon magazine. One of my great thrills was having a review quoted on the back of a Jack Vance hard cover. Vance is one of my favorites, as is Ursula K. Le Guin. Lately, though, I worked on the first Pathfinder Tales book from Paizo, Prince of Wolves by Dave Gross, and so cannot be unbiased, but it is a very good book. I have also become enamored of the Psalms of Issak by Ken Scholes. I cannot say too many good things about the series. I have just finished reading Antiphon and will review it for KQ. Scholes started with a bang with Lamentation and has only gotten better with each book.

New User
Chadao
0 Kudos

When I was in high school there were two SF writers and books on our approved list in Fort Worth, Texas: Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles and Brian Aldiss's Greybeard. I had great fun doing oral book reports on both.

New User
Chadao
0 Kudos

If you like romance and you like fantasy I have to recommend Lois McMaster Bujold's series: The Curse of Chalion; Paladin of Souls; and The Hallowed Hunt. Also try her Sharing Knife series.

Reader 2
BigBookWorm

Hey my name is Bruce and I attend Columbia University.  I play football there and am getting a business degree but to be honest my true passion has always been movies.  I started reading a lot during high school and mainly stick with mystery, science fiction, and fantasy.   I have read all of Dan Brown, a lot of Michal Crichton, and really starting to get into Steven King.  I have to admit though that my favorite books science fiction and fantasy.  I have just recently started Orson Scott Card and his Ender series and I am currently about to finish the fourth book in George R. R. Martins series.  Also I am new to posts and since I am young I have not read a lot of  books yet, but these Ice and Fire books blow my mind away.....anyway hope i get some followers and some suggestions for books!!!

Frequent Contributor
Gnomadic

Greetings and Salivations-

Wow I am a bit overwhelmed here but will do my best.  I am a 30+ "Photographic Gnomad" who is a lover of books in general, but have a soft spot for Supernatural, Classics, Science Fiction, and Erotica.  I am currently trying to catch up with both Laurell K. Hamilton series and trying to find a new author/series in which to throw myself.  It looks as if there are many beautifully interesting creatures on this thread and I hope to expand my literary horizons through each of you. 

Short and sweet and for now I bid you farewell.

When you find yourself falling into the seas of madness, DIVE!
SPCAT
0 Kudos

Chadao wrote:

If you like romance and you like fantasy I have to recommend Lois McMaster Bujold's series: The Curse of Chalion; Paladin of Souls; and The Hallowed Hunt. Also try her Sharing Knife series.

Welcome, I really like Lois but mostly the Lord Vorkosigan series: Aral and Miles Vorkosigan are one of the best sci fi series I have ever read it's full of adventure, drama and the most funny situations ever boarding on ridiculous that will have you laughing till tears come out of your eyes.

SPCAT

Gnomadic wrote:

Greetings and Salivations-

Wow I am a bit overwhelmed here but will do my best.  I am a 30+ "Photographic Gnomad" who is a lover of books in general, but have a soft spot for Supernatural, Classics, Science Fiction, and Erotica.  I am currently trying to catch up with both Laurell K. Hamilton series and trying to find a new author/series in which to throw myself.  It looks as if there are many beautifully interesting creatures on this thread and I hope to expand my literary horizons through each of you. 

Short and sweet and for now I bid you farewell.

I know exactly how you feel, but believe me you'll feel at home here with all this amazing creatures, Welcome.

New User
mommorpher
0 Kudos

I've been a SciFi and Fantasy fan for years (37 to be exact).  I took a Science Fiction & Fantasy Literature class when I was 20 and got hooked.   I am 57 yrs. old and going back to school to get a Ph.D. in School Psychology.  I have been a middle school special education teacher for the past ten years.  I have been trying to read as many of the books on my shelf as I can before I have to start the academic grind.  I enjoy hearing about books from other people so that I can keep an eye out for them at the used book store.  I also love series.  I love gathering the books, then finally starting out on the journey.   I found this community today, and I'm really excited about some of the books that I read about today.   I rarely order online because I love to go try to find books at the used book stores in my town.  I also love the Barnes & Nobles store that is in the large town nearby. Unfortunately I am moving away so I may have to start shopping online.

And I think I still have some copies of the B & N Explorations.

Reader
mdbogota
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I am new to this group and thought I would introduce myself.  I started ready at a young age.  My Mom started me out on Westerns by Louis L'Amour.  I got my start with sci-fi reading the Dunes Series and was hooked.  Presently I read more Fantasy; currently I am reading the Summoners Series by Gail Z. Martin.  I have also enjoyed the works of Farland etc.  I lived in Latin America for 15 year so for all you people learning Spanish it will come if you stick with it,  It was much easier to learn living among people that only spoke Spanish.  Currently, I am a Manager with the American Red Cross Donor Services. I look forward to interacting with you all and learning about all the great works that I have yet to read.

Mark

New User
JohnDenner
0 Kudos

New to the community & looking forward finding my new favorite book !

John