Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
New User
Cringeth3rd
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎08-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Hi! I'm channing, or Cringeth3rd. I enjoy reading fantasy. I like horror too, but lean more towards the happiness of make believe.

I'm not sure what else to say! :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
BryanThomasS
Posts: 53
Registered: ‎06-15-2010

Re: Introduce Yourself!

I don't think I've ever done this, so I'll do it now.  My name is Bryan Thomas Schmidt, and I am a speculative fiction author, among other pursuits.  I've also released 3 CDs of original music, written nonfiction and technical writing projects, and found a non-profit.  That being said, I am the author of 30 or so short stories and three novels, one of which barely deserves mention because it was my first try and stunk so bad.  The other of which is almost ready for sale and the third of which is a fantasy novel I am just now finished the first draft of.

 

I have been a scifi fantasy fan for pretty much 30 years of my 41.  And I generally read at least a novel a week, except the long ones by George RR Martin, Terry Goodkind and other verbose authors.

 

I have never participated in book clubs or anything like this, so as an author it is fascinating to see how much thought you put into all of this.  Also a pleasure to support Ken who has become a good friend through FB and his writing and been very supportive of me.

 

Happy reading!

Author of "The North Star Serial" and "The Worker Prince."

www.bryanthomasschmidt.net
Moderator
paulgoatallen
Posts: 7,327
Registered: ‎08-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

 


BryanThomasS wrote:

I don't think I've ever done this, so I'll do it now.  My name is Bryan Thomas Schmidt, and I am a speculative fiction author, among other pursuits.  I've also released 3 CDs of original music, written nonfiction and technical writing projects, and found a non-profit.  That being said, I am the author of 30 or so short stories and three novels, one of which barely deserves mention because it was my first try and stunk so bad.  The other of which is almost ready for sale and the third of which is a fantasy novel I am just now finished the first draft of.

 

I have been a scifi fantasy fan for pretty much 30 years of my 41.  And I generally read at least a novel a week, except the long ones by George RR Martin, Terry Goodkind and other verbose authors.

 

I have never participated in book clubs or anything like this, so as an author it is fascinating to see how much thought you put into all of this.  Also a pleasure to support Ken who has become a good friend through FB and his writing and been very supportive of me.

 

Happy reading!


 

 

Bryan:

Tell me about The North Star Serial. What's it about? What's CreateSpace? Just curious...

 

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
BryanThomasS
Posts: 53
Registered: ‎06-15-2010

Re: Introduce Yourself!

"The North Star Serial" is a pulp serial I am writing for a family friendly ezine called Digital Dragon, (www.digitaldragonmagazine.net).  A sample can be found at my website or in this month's issue, where the first episodes have begun to appear.  I assembled the first 13 of the 30 intended stories into the book, "The North Star," which is a space opera about Captain Janaai Resnick and her crew of The North Star, her first command.  Basically, it's a group of colonizers descended from Earth who are fighting against an alien force who wants to raid and conquer planets in the coalition.

 

If you'd like to take a look, Paul, I'd bee happy to send you a copy.  It's self-published.  Put together as a teaser to my work and the magazine which I sell cheap and/or give away at events, conventions, etc.  The publisher of the magazine intends to release the complete series as a book in a couple years when most of the episodes have run.  So this one may be a collector's item one day.

 

B

Author of "The North Star Serial" and "The Worker Prince."

www.bryanthomasschmidt.net
Moderator
paulgoatallen
Posts: 7,327
Registered: ‎08-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

 


BryanThomasS wrote:

"The North Star Serial" is a pulp serial I am writing for a family friendly ezine called Digital Dragon, (www.digitaldragonmagazine.net).  A sample can be found at my website or in this month's issue, where the first episodes have begun to appear.  I assembled the first 13 of the 30 intended stories into the book, "The North Star," which is a space opera about Captain Janaai Resnick and her crew of The North Star, her first command.  Basically, it's a group of colonizers descended from Earth who are fighting against an alien force who wants to raid and conquer planets in the coalition.

 

If you'd like to take a look, Paul, I'd bee happy to send you a copy.  It's self-published.  Put together as a teaser to my work and the magazine which I sell cheap and/or give away at events, conventions, etc.  The publisher of the magazine intends to release the complete series as a book in a couple years when most of the episodes have run.  So this one may be a collector's item one day.

 

B


 

 

Hit me up, man – I'm curious!

 

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Correspondent
SPCAT
Posts: 111
Registered: ‎05-24-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!


Cringeth3rd wrote:

Hi! I'm channing, or Cringeth3rd. I enjoy reading fantasy. I like horror too, but lean more towards the happiness of make believe.

I'm not sure what else to say! :smileyhappy:


Don't worry little by little you'll set your self loose and we will enjoy all you have to say. Welcome you'll love it here.

" I will not be triumphed over " - Cleopatra
Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
Posts: 368
Registered: ‎05-07-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Aditya (also my real name :smileytongue:).

Science-fiction mostly. Used to swear by hard SF, but more into social/political/military SF now (will read hard SF again when there's something new and interesting :smileytongue:). Only fantasy I read is the humorous kind (Pratchett, Flint, etc.) Only exception (so far) is Neil Gaiman. If you include horror, I guess it would include the classics (Poe, Lovecraft and the rest of that crowd).

The cake is a lie.
Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
Posts: 462
Registered: ‎08-04-2010

Re: Introduce Yourself!

OK, here goes:

 

Name:  Jeff

Age:  Ancient (born way back in 1955)

My B&N:  Settlers Ridge (used to be Robinson Town Center), Pennsylvania

Profession:  Old-style computer programmer

Current Job:  Semi-retired early (job evaporated).  Might stay retired, might not.  Went back to school.  Being househusband isn't so bad.
 
A few of my favorite F/SF Authors: 
H. P. Lovecraft:  the best of the weirdest, and vice-versa
Alan E. Nourse:  dated now (and out of print), but, in his day one of the best writers of Young Adult SF.
Heinlein, Asimov, Bradbury and Clarke (the Big Four; who doesn't like them?)
Michael Crichton
 
A few of my favorite non-F/SF Authors:
Joseph Wambaugh
Bertrand R. Brinley (wrote the hilarious Mad Scientists' Club books)
George Orwell
Edgar Allan Poe
Jack Ritchie (wrote short mystery stories)
Arthur Hailey (sometimes confused with Alex Haley)

 

Some Honorable Mention Authors -- I love one or two books they've written, but not all: 
Frank Herbert
Stephen King

 

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
Posts: 246
Registered: ‎11-11-2008

Re: Introduce Yourself!


Jefferson_Thomas wrote:

OK, here goes:

 

 
 
A few of my favorite non-F/SF Authors:
Joseph Wambaugh
Bertrand R. Brinley (wrote the hilarious Mad Scientists' Club books)
George Orwell
Edgar Allan Poe
Jack Ritchie (wrote short mystery stories)
Arthur Hailey (sometimes confused with Alex Haley)

 

Some Honorable Mention Authors -- I love one or two books they've written, but not all: 
Frank Herbert
Stephen King

 


Hi, Jeff,

   I'm just curious as to why you classify George Orwell as non-SF&F. 1984 was pretty far out for it's time.

There are more of us than you think.
Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
Posts: 462
Registered: ‎08-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!


pagemaven wrote:
   I'm just curious as to why you classify George Orwell as non-SF&F. 1984 was pretty far out for it's time.

Hi!

 

I've always thought Orwell was hard to classify.  On the one hand, of course, you're absolutely right:  the telescreen, the speakwrite, those pneumatic tubes that deliver paperwork, and that gadget that causes pain are pure SF.  But I've never thought the main purpose of 1984 (or, for that matter Animal Farm) was SF or fantasy.  They're intended as social commentary, not to mention dire warnings about what will happen if we let our freedoms gradually dribble away.  In other words, the SF gadgetry was secondary to the message, like the invisibility screen toward the end of Atlas Shrugged:  important to the story, of course, but not so important as to decide what genre the story belongs in.  Also, Orwell wrote a bunch of other stuff that had nothing to do with SF, like "Such, Such Were the Joys."

 

Anyway, that's just my take on it.  How about you?

 

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
Posts: 246
Registered: ‎11-11-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!


Jefferson_Thomas wrote:

pagemaven wrote:
   I'm just curious as to why you classify George Orwell as non-SF&F. 1984 was pretty far out for it's time.

Hi!

 

I've always thought Orwell was hard to classify.  On the one hand, of course, you're absolutely right:  the telescreen, the speakwrite, those pneumatic tubes that deliver paperwork, and that gadget that causes pain are pure SF.  But I've never thought the main purpose of 1984 (or, for that matter Animal Farm) was SF or fantasy.  They're intended as social commentary, not to mention dire warnings about what will happen if we let our freedoms gradually dribble away.  In other words, the SF gadgetry was secondary to the message, like the invisibility screen toward the end of Atlas Shrugged:  important to the story, of course, but not so important as to decide what genre the story belongs in.  Also, Orwell wrote a bunch of other stuff that had nothing to do with SF, like "Such, Such Were the Joys."

 

Anyway, that's just my take on it.  How about you?

 


 

Wow! Like,I was just totally talking about where to look in the library! (OK enough dumb blond for one day)...you're right of course,  about his social satire ( I always thought that satire was meant to be humerous), and now that I think about it, he probably wrote more of that than he did SF. OK, props to you.

There are more of us than you think.
Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
Posts: 462
Registered: ‎08-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!


pagemaven wrote:
Wow! Like,I was just totally talking about where to look in the library! (OK enough dumb blond for one day)...you're right of course,  about his social satire ( I always thought that satire was meant to be humerous), and now that I think about it, he probably wrote more of that than he did SF. OK, props to you.

LOL!  Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
Darkbow
Posts: 33
Registered: ‎08-26-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Hello. Just thought I'd drop in to introduce myself. I'm Ty Johnston, a long-time fan of fantasy and horror fiction. I like some science fiction, but I'm usually more picky about it. I'm also the author of The Kobalos Trilogy and several short story collections available in e-book.

tyjohnston.blogspot.com
Contributor
Jes_P
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎08-26-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

My name is Jess and I love to read.  Mostly I pick out fantasy books, but I like fiction, biographies, mysteries, anything that is a good story.  Some of my favorite days are when I go dig through books at a used book store looking for hidden treasures.  I currently am reading the Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist and have spent many hours in long fantasy series.  I am slowly building my own personal library which my boyfriend is less enthusiastic about every time we have to move.  I realized that when I moved a lot of my book friends were left behind and I missed the conversations I shared with them about the political plot in one book vs. the magic in another.  I can't wait to talk to you all and look forward to great recommendations!

Bibliophile
Melhay
Posts: 2,062
Registered: ‎12-11-2008

Re: Introduce Yourself!


Jes_P wrote:

My name is Jess and I love to read.  Mostly I pick out fantasy books, but I like fiction, biographies, mysteries, anything that is a good story.  Some of my favorite days are when I go dig through books at a used book store looking for hidden treasures.  I currently am reading the Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist and have spent many hours in long fantasy series.  I am slowly building my own personal library which my boyfriend is less enthusiastic about every time we have to move.  I realized that when I moved a lot of my book friends were left behind and I missed the conversations I shared with them about the political plot in one book vs. the magic in another.  I can't wait to talk to you all and look forward to great recommendations!


 

Hi Jes_P,

 

Aahhh, another Fiest reader. :smileyhappy: The Feist world is what lead me here as well. :smileyhappy: There are many of us who loved his series.  I am in need to get back into that wonderful world some time here.

 

There are loads of books here and many of us who love to chat about the details of the books.  Paul, our awesome mediator, suggests 3 books every month and starts threads for them to chat on.  There are tons of threads going for other books and you or someone can start a thread for a book you can't find a thread on.

 

Hope you enjoy the conversations and look forward to chatting about books with you.

 

If you browse around I am sure you will find LOADS of great books to check out.

 

If you have any questions just ask Paul or anyone around.

 

Melissa

_______________________
"There are no honorable causes. There is no good or evil. Evil is only what we call those who oppose us." From Nyphron Rising, By Michael J. Sullivan

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Contributor
Brekka
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎06-19-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Guess since I've posted a few times now and have started checking here regularly too I should do this. Its kinda like standing up at the front of the class the first day of school.

 

My name is Brandy though I have created an identity with Brekka (so bad my boyfriend has actually called me that) over the years. I have seen that there are several Anne McCaffery fans here so you might recognized the origin of the name from the Pern series Brekke, thats where I got it from.  

 

So I guess that says I'm a McCaffery fan, I think I've read about everything she has ever written, though in truth I'm not as fond of her newer stuff nor do I like her sons stuff in the Pern universe. 

 

My other Favorite authors are Anne Bishop (I have read everything she has written even her short stories). New fan of Karen Monings' work more the Fever stuff, but the Highlander stuff was good too. Old Anne Rice meaning before she found god and stopped telling good stories. Steven King, Dean Koontz, Virgina Henley,Terry Pratchett, Kristen Britain, Terry Brooks, S.L. Farrell, Lynn Flewelling, Morgan Llywelyn, Christine Feehan, Dara Joy, Tolkien, Eddings, Barb and J.C. Hendee, Neil Gaiman, Rowlings, Stephanie Meyer, and Orson Scott Card have all made my permanent library. ( I'm certain I am forgetting others that are on my walls but there are plenty more there, lol) 

 

Sheesh!! That was a long list, so now I recently acquired a Nook cause I ran out of wall space for anymore book shelves. I pick mostly fantasy and sci-fi because I work as a nurse and have reality coming out of my eyeballs all day long.  So it was that and my beloved Nook (cause now I cant live without it) that has brought me here. Now that I have all the books in the world at my finger tips with instant gratification I want to broaden my horizons. From what I have already seen I know everyone here will be able to help me do just that.

 

Other than reading I also play computer games like World of Warcraft (why my boyfriend calls me Brekka at times is because of this). Play with my dog and 3 cats who don't like each other and give me hours of endless entertainment watching them try to avoid each other.  

 

Time is the coin of your life.
It is the only coin you have,
and only you can determine how it will be spent,
Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you- Carl Sandburg
Moderator
paulgoatallen
Posts: 7,327
Registered: ‎08-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Wecome to the forums, Brandy (or Brekka!) – I used to be a huge McCaffrey fan, although I haven't read anything new from her in a while...she was the first author I interviewed for B&N – talk about an awesome experience!

 

(Great Sandburg quote!)

 

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Contributor
Lime-G
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎08-04-2010

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Sup

 

far as anyone needs to know my name is Lime Green :smileyhappy: My first book I read was animal wife I barely remember it but I know I was engrossed with reading from then on from there I went thru most the dragonlance books (rastlin&tasselhoff are  my favorite characters) then to the series involving Drizzit by Mr. R. Salvatore  from there it was whatever Devlin's luck by Patricia Bray  I could get my hands on until Mercedes Lackey  popped into my view Take a thief being the notable one out of those from there Piers Anthony  On a pale horse great series just read Brent Weeks The Night Angel Trilogy   awesome book assassins magic and both !!! Those are my favorite type although I like a good knight book also and right now I am reading the stackhouse series (true blood) its good

 

I played world of warcraft/EQ& EQ2 im currently deployed to iraq i just purchased a nook i am 28 i have a girlfriend

 

nice to meet you all

 

P.S.. I hate it when they put sci-fi with fantasy in my mind fantasy is totally a different type of book from sci-fi

Contributor
Brekka
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎06-19-2010

Re: Introduce Yourself!

 


Lime-G wrote:

Sup

 

 

I played world of warcraft/EQ& EQ2 

 

 


Nice to have a fellow WOW player on here.  

Lime-G wrote:

 

 

 im currently deployed to iraq i just purchased a nook i am 28 i have a girlfriend

 

 


 

Thank you, and I hope you come home soon. 

 


 

Time is the coin of your life.
It is the only coin you have,
and only you can determine how it will be spent,
Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you- Carl Sandburg
Contributor
Edaer-Itof
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎11-04-2009

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Hi, B&N  !

 

Well, I don't think I've ever introduced myself on here, so, why not? My name is Heather, I'm only 15, but I'm a total sucker for sci-fi.  It never ceases to fascinate me, sometimes in a sad sort of way, that I can't describe.  A few of my favorites have been The Dark Tower Series by Stephen King, The Host by Stephenie Meyer, hmm and countless more.  I read some of the teen fiction, but it continuosly is disappointing me.  Over the summer I had to read Exodus by Leon Uris, and I absolutely loved it.  Another year it was the Killer Angels that took me over, so apparently I like some historical books as well. That's all for now, but, as everyone here, I love books, so you'll be seeing me around. (:

 

 

"Are you sick, rose?...then he realized he could stay there looking at the rose for the rest of the afternoon (or maybe the rest of his life) and never come any closer to solving its mystery..."