Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
RobtDWilson

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Hello, I am new in two ways: I just started posting here AND My first two novels were put out as B&N e-books within the last week. I would LOVE to get some feedback from Paul and his hard-core Sci-Fi and Fantasy readers. Both books are under $5.

The first, "THE PLAYERS [Earth - The Arena #1]" is Sci-Fi with inter-dimensional visitors, psychic experimentation, the threat of inter-dimensional warfare, disappearing people, lots of action, and enough romance to keep the lady readers happy. This is the 1st of a 4 book series.

The second novel is the first volume of a Fantasy trilogy."The Poison of Thorns [The Dragon's Back #1]" unfolds as an intriguing and action-packed Fantasy with bards, dragons, swords, and mysterious black-robed villains lurking in the shadows. Ten long years after the mysterious murder of their parents, two brothers have just been freed from incarceration in a prison-like orphanage. Against their wills they are torn apart and launched into separate quests against conflicting and dangerous forces.

The next book in the Dragonsback series should be out well before Thanksgiving.

THE PLAYERS [Earth - The Arena #1] 

THE POISON OF THORNS [The Dragon's Back #1]  

New User
jusTemple
0 Kudos

Hello to all,

Let me tell you about me in two words. Undeniable different. I'm an author with strategies and goals. The goal is to "tell the story". "Can You See What I See", a story filled with exaggerations of Deborah. She's in a mental state of explosion. A dormant pain that has issues. Issues of strength and a release filled with hope. Her blinks are built around, hangman's, clown, wolf, pig, locust, and an angel. jusTemple is my phastasm author signature, a symbol of perception.

"Can You" find the time to influence your mental state for Deborah's journey.

www.jusTemple.com

jusTemple
Frequent Contributor
Tm-Moore
0 Kudos

Hi, I thought I would reintroduce myself. I have 11 ebooks published on BN's PubIt at present, and I wanted to tell you about them. If you search by my author name (below) you will find them listed. I am chiefly interested in writing SF/F so most of them will be from my series, but I have also written 3 nonfiction books beside. Thanks and I look forward to participating in BN more extensively for the future.

Theresa M. Moore
Author of the Children of The Dragon vampire series and other fiction/nonfiction books http://www.antellus.com/
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

pagemaven wrote:
Fair warning, Fricka!!! If you are going to follow Tig around, you should wear bells and carry pepper spray.

...and be okay with "brutal honesty!"   :smileywink:

Paul

(laughs) Ooh ouch! True though:smileywink:

Bells and Pepper Spray, eh? Perhaps I should just dress in Motley while I am at it! I don't carry Pepper Spray, but I do have a purse-sized perfume bottle, which will work about as well when sprayed in someone's eyes. How do I know this, you ask? (Well. even if you didn't, I'm going to tell you anyway) The first year I moved to Arizona, I did a lot of substitute work in mostly High Schools, but also in what must have been temporary insanity, I allowed myself to be signed up for subbing for middle school in one district. One day while I was subbing in one of those schools, while I was taking role call, a disturbance broke out. A boy had been sprayed in the eyes by the girl behind him, apparently in retribution for his pestering her. Her weapon? Perlume! He had all the symptooms of having been sprayed by mace!

Now all I need is the bells....

Sorry I haven't been in here lately, but my home computer crashed, and the Computer Geek guy who does work for us took a week to respond and then a week to fix the computer. Talk about a technology withdrawal!

Good to see all the other new posters in here. So glad I am not the only newbie posting in here

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Contributor
embersky_gemini
0 Kudos

Hello! New here and thinking I found a place to fufill my love for fantasy and Sci fi.  I've participated in a couple First Look forum discussions, but this is the first time I peeked into some of the many forums on here.  This one is sure to be a favorite, and hopefully I can find enough free time to sift through all the cool posts on here in between reading, video games, taking care of my 1 yr old, and of course my other book club. 

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

embersky_gemini wrote:

Hello! New here and thinking I found a place to fufill my love for fantasy and Sci fi.  I've participated in a couple First Look forum discussions, but this is the first time I peeked into some of the many forums on here.  This one is sure to be a favorite, and hopefully I can find enough free time to sift through all the cool posts on here in between reading, video games, taking care of my 1 yr old, and of course my other book club. 

Welcome to the asylum, embersky – and you're singing to the choir about having no time! I have a 3.5 and a 1.5 year old and finding time to read is always difficult. That's why I love late night – I can read while they sleep!  :0

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
plumboz
0 Kudos

I don't really think I would describe myself as a true Sci-Fi, Fantasy fan, but it does happen that some of my favorite writers can be found along those aisles and there is no doubt my own writing has been influenced by them. Big fan of Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, Issac Asimov, Ray Bradbury and JRR Tolkien, among others.

I'm rereading "Good Omens" right now, which is why I even thought of checking out this neighborhood here at B&N.

I hope everyone is having a great week. It's finally getting a bit chilly here in AZ. Our seven month summer just might be coming to a close.

Best,
Alan Hutcheson (aka Plumboz)

author of Boomerang, a comic novel of international intrigue, with music
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Welcome to the bibliophilic chaos, plumboz!

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
Yvette4

I am new to this genre.  Am excited to jump in. I've gotten a few suggestions in my TBR pile.

Contributor
lenfrny
0 Kudos

Been a lurker for quite some time. Have always been a big reader but that kind of stopped for a bit as I have a one year old, three year old and a 15 year old. Since the wife got me a nook I am back to reading. I read just about anything but do have a love for the sci-fi/fantasy, I look forward to reading some of the recommondations that have been posted here and have a place to discuss.

Contributor
RaphyelMJordan

Hello and welcome to the thread! Iiiiiieeee might have a book that's right up your ally. My book's called Prossia, and it's a sci-fi novel that follows the classic tale of growing up while dealing with many of today's social issues. Oh! And you have a nook too! You can buy it here on the site actually. ^_^

Prossia

Have a looky! ^_^

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.” Aristotle
Frequent Contributor
ManleyPeterson
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi, my name is Manley Peterson, and I am a first-time author. I just published Bloated Goat here on Nook and Kindle. It is a funny, fantasy adventure about talking animals that get in crazy situations. I have been writing for a long time, and love to read everything from mysteries, fantasy, and sci-fi to biographies, historical non-fiction, and joke books. I put a lot of my own personality into Bloated Goat, so I think children and adults can enjoy it alike.

Thanks,

Manley Peterson

Bloated Goat

Manley Peterson

Manley's Bookshelf
manleypeterson.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
KC_May
0 Kudos

Hi! I'm new here, but I've been participating. Made myself right at home, in fact. I'm an avid reader, an author, a technical writer, and a dog-lover.

Mostly I read SF/F and thrillers, but I do the occasional mystery, horror and romance novel, too. I write mostly SF/F, but one day I'd like to try my hand at a thriller. My latest book was called a SF/Thriller/Mystery mix by one reviewer, which I'm quite OK with!

I live near Atlanta, GA, but I'm new to the area -- just moved here this spring after 24 years in Phoenix. It's colder than I'm used to, but the summer wasn't as miserable. :smileyhappy:

KC

The Kinshield Legacy - $2.99

The Venom of Vipers  - $2.99

Frequent Contributor
PhreaQ
0 Kudos

My fingers are sore, otherwise I'd write more than just HI!  I've been submitting to other forum posts and dropping my link, but I think I'll make this one the last for now.

I'm MJ Holmes.  This is my hackrag on PubIt! :smileyvery-happy:

Hi!

Tyme and Yon Serpent 

New User
rollerbill
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm a science fiction and fantasy reader from way back. Everything from comic books,(Graphic Novels?) to Lovecraft. I also write. My favorite writers include Asimov, King, Ellison, Card, Hamilton  and Longyear to mention a few. I look forward to talking with people with similar interests.

Rollerbill 

Inspired Wordsmith
julestrik
0 Kudos

Hi everyone!  I just found this board and I'm so excited.  My name is Julie and I'm soon to be 50 so prob one of the oldest fantasy lovers on this board.  I use to be a librarian for 1st thru 8th grade and I started reading fantasy (along with everyting else in the library) to better recommend books to students.  I fell in love with fantasty,  from all of Robin Mckinley to Lloyd Alexander and T. A. Barrons and Garth Nix.  I was hooked.  But I also love science fiction too.  Nancy Farmer's The House of the Scorpion and The Eye the Ear and the Arm.  There are too many to mention.  Happy to see there is a board to read and learn about more books to read!

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

julestrik wrote:

Hi everyone!  I just found this board and I'm so excited.  My name is Julie and I'm soon to be 50 so prob one of the oldest fantasy lovers on this board.  I use to be a librarian for 1st thru 8th grade and I started reading fantasy (along with everyting else in the library) to better recommend books to students.  I fell in love with fantasty,  from all of Robin Mckinley to Lloyd Alexander and T. A. Barrons and Garth Nix.  I was hooked.  But I also love science fiction too.  Nancy Farmer's The House of the Scorpion and The Eye the Ear and the Arm.  There are too many to mention.  Happy to see there is a board to read and learn about more books to read!

Welcome to the asylum, Julie – and as a soon-to-be 50 year old myself, I say "rock on!" there are actually more than a few librarians and former librarians lurking here as well so you're in good copany!  :smileyhappy:

Paul

Contributor
Rosalyn_Hart
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi! Just found this awesome place....

I'm a 24-year-old systems and teaching librarian from PA. I am also working on becoming a book reviewer--I currently review for Library Journal but would love to do more.

I'm a huge fan of fantasy and science fiction, particularly steampunk. I LOVE steampunk. Favorite authors include Ariana Franklin, Laurell K. Hamilton, Alexander Dumas, Gregory Maguire, C.S. Lewis, and many more. I'm currently reading A Handful of Pearls and Other Stories by Beth Bernobich and Soulless by Gail Carriger.

I look forward to participating in the discussions here! :smileywink:

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Rosalyn_Hart wrote:

Hi! Just found this awesome place....

I'm a 24-year-old systems and teaching librarian from PA. I am also working on becoming a book reviewer--I currently review for Library Journal but would love to do more.

I'm a huge fan of fantasy and science fiction, particularly steampunk. I LOVE steampunk. Favorite authors include Ariana Franklin, Laurell K. Hamilton, Alexander Dumas, Gregory Maguire, C.S. Lewis, and many more. I'm currently reading A Handful of Pearls and Other Stories by Beth Bernobich and Soulless by Gail Carriger.

I look forward to participating in the discussions here! :smileywink:

Welcome, Rosalyn – you've found us at a perfect time since the steampunk renaissance is pretty big here. If you love steampunk you have to read cherie Priest's Clockwork century novels – they're brilliant.    :smileyhappy:

Paul

Contributor
Rosalyn_Hart

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the welcome! I've read Boneshaker and Dreadnought already, but I'm looking forward to reading more of her work. :smileyhappy: