Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Greetings to all of our new visitors – and, hey, check out the cool new feature: laurels! If you really enjoy a post or find it insightful or educational, you can give the poster a laurel! (Hey, it's better than a kick in the pants...)   :smileywink:

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
New User
lezler0108
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Leslie and I am 23 years old. I recently graduated from college this past December and I am applying to law school for this coming fall semester. I work full time at a law firm but I feel that ever since I graduated the days seem to be flying by now that I don't have to do anymore studying. I love to read, especially fantasy & science fiction, but I've read my fair share of classics as well. Joining this book club will definitely keep me busy and give me new suggestions on what to read (I have the bad habit of reading a book too quickly and then going through a dry spell because I don't know what to read next). I look forward to everyone's suggestions!
Leslie P.
Contributor
WilliamBailey
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

My name is William Bailey, I’m 47 years old and I live in west Michigan. I have recently finished my first novel titled, The Great Ship of Knowledge® - Learning Earth’s Deathly History, and am excited to finally see my hard work come to fruition. I’d like to tell all of you that I have always aspired to write, but that just wouldn’t be the truth. The overwhelming motivation that drove and haunted me to write this book was a vision I suffered through after going to sleep the night of December 31st 2007. I know most will dismiss this as untrue, but I can assure you it was a real vision and I write about it in detail in the front matter of my book, a section called, The Epiphany. You should know if it wasn’t for that vision I would have never wrote this book or any other for that matter. Now that it’s written, I can’t wait to read or hear some thoughts from those who read it. Best Regards, William Bailey

Message Edited by WilliamBailey on 03-01-2009 09:33 AM
Please visit www.thegreatshipofknowledge.com
New User
UDbmas
0 Kudos

Hi Gang.  My name is Cheryl, and I compose choral music for "fun" when my day-job lets me.  Currently I am re-reading Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series,  and I have a few others waiting in the wings.  My reading preferences are primarily in the epic fantasy genre, and occasionally I delve into SF if it isn't too tech-gadget heavy, or historical fiction (loved The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova).  I can't really claim a favorite book or author, but I generally watch for Donaldson's Thomas Covenant books, Davis Coe, Terry Brooks, David Drake, Trudi Canavan, etc.  I usually wait for the paperback editions, partly owing to cost but mostly due to portability.  Most of my reading is done on my long commute to work as a hostage of the MTA, and—considering that many in the genre run to 500+ pages—paperbacks are lighter and fit in the handbag better. 

My dad introduced me to SF/Fantasy reading when I was in my early teens and now, nearly 40 years later, I still love it—even some of the...uhm...less-than-sterling entries.  I am a pure escapist, and my commute allows me the time to read about 2-3 novels a week.  Needless to say, at that pace, B&N adores me!  That reminds me...I need to order a few...

Peace,

Cheryl (aka UDbmas)

Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

UDbmas wrote:

Hi Gang.  My name is Cheryl, and I compose choral music for "fun" when my day-job lets me.  Currently I am re-reading Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series,  and I have a few others waiting in the wings.  My reading preferences are primarily in the epic fantasy genre, and occasionally I delve into SF if it isn't too tech-gadget heavy, or historical fiction (loved The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova).  I can't really claim a favorite book or author, but I generally watch for Donaldson's Thomas Covenant books, Davis Coe, Terry Brooks, David Drake, Trudi Canavan, etc.  I usually wait for the paperback editions, partly owing to cost but mostly due to portability.  Most of my reading is done on my long commute to work as a hostage of the MTA, and—considering that many in the genre run to 500+ pages—paperbacks are lighter and fit in the handbag better. 

My dad introduced me to SF/Fantasy reading when I was in my early teens and now, nearly 40 years later, I still love it—even some of the...uhm...less-than-sterling entries.  I am a pure escapist, and my commute allows me the time to read about 2-3 novels a week.  Needless to say, at that pace, B&N adores me!  That reminds me...I need to order a few...

Peace,

Cheryl (aka UDbmas)

Welcome! And just know, if you look around through the different discussions, you will never be without a book to read. I have a wish list longer than I am tall. It is going to take me at least a year to read all the books I want to read because of this site(It is almost bad for my health... almost). So, look around and make sure you have a pen and paper because you are going to need to write down some titles. 

"When camping in Canada, do not wear fruity chapstick... you might get mauled by grizzly bears."
New User
tyrtle11
0 Kudos

Hi! My name is Jennifer and I am a 28 year old nurse in Houston, Tx.  I have been reading sci-fi as long as i can remember, the first book i spent all day reading and finished that day was Madeline L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time.  The only time I ever got grounded was for staying up too late reading Robin McKinley's Beauty:A  Retelling of Beauty and the Beast.  My favs range all over, Ann Bishop and Robin McKinley are tops followed closely by Carol Berg (whom I have not seen mentioned yet), Anne McCaffrey, Heinlein, the Rhapsody series, anything Orson Scott Card, the list goes on.  I look forward to finding new books here!
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Welcome Jennifer and we have talked about all of the authors you have mentioned in fact Orson Scott Card was here visiting for a few days when his new book came out in December.  You might have to read some of the back pages to find out what was said.  And I was talking about the Rhapsody series yesterday.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Virtual hugs all around.... Welcome all of you newcomers to what is quickly becoming a rocking forum about science fiction, fantasy and everything in between. I hope you enjoy your stay here and if anyone has any questions or comments, please feel free to message me any time.

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
New User
Airek
0 Kudos

Hello! My name is Eric Collins. I'm 23 years old and I live near Ft. Worth, Texas with my girlfriend. I got out of the Air Force about six months ago and during that time is when I really began to read. During the long months of a deployment, nothing helped pass time and escape the stressful surroundings as a good book.

My favorite genre is fantasy, but I also enjoy thrillers/suspense novels very much. My favorite book(s) to date is without a doubt the His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman. Been very busy lately and haven't found the time to read, but decided I am going to make the time. Trying to find a good fantasy book or series to get into.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Airek wrote:

Hello! My name is Eric Collins. I'm 23 years old and I live near Ft. Worth, Texas with my girlfriend. I got out of the Air Force about six months ago and during that time is when I really began to read. During the long months of a deployment, nothing helped pass time and escape the stressful surroundings as a good book.

My favorite genre is fantasy, but I also enjoy thrillers/suspense novels very much. My favorite book(s) to date is without a doubt the His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman. Been very busy lately and haven't found the time to read, but decided I am going to make the time. Trying to find a good fantasy book or series to get into.

Hi I'm Krista 22 from NC I just moved here from Wylie, TX (country area have you heard of it ? not many people have small town) about three years ago has it changed any LOL still Hot I'm sure LOL!! I love it here in NC I'm at the Beach Awesome and it doesn't get crazy hot here which I'm so Glad about LOL!!! Anyways I wanted welcome you to the Boards and give you a few ideas of books that I recived when I was new and I really enjoyed them Mistborn series by Sanderson and The Name of the Wind by Rothfuss!!

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Frequent Contributor
MJS74
0 Kudos

HI my name is mike scott. i have been reading for the last 20+ years . at the moment i'm going through science fiction.i first started reading KING when i was a kid. IT scared the crap out of me.i loved TOM CLANCY.WITHOUT REMORSE  is one of my all-time best reads.the series that i'm reading include JIM BUTCHER'S CODEX ALERA and DRESDEN FILES.DAVID WEBER'S HONER HARRINGTON series.STEVEN ERICSON'S series MALAZAN BOOK OF THE FALLEN.while i mostly read sf and fantasy.i still love JOHN SANDFORD'S DAVENPORT SERIES.my alltime faverit series was THE WHEEL OF TIME BY ROBERT JORDAN, i was very upset when he died. i startd reading the EYE OF THE WORLD back in the early ninties.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Welcome Mike,

I hope you enjoy and feel free to jump right into any discussion thread or start one of your own.  We  are a pretty friendly group and Paul is a great moderator.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:

...and Paul is a great moderator.

Thanks, Toni!   :smileyhappy:
New User
Irishmanreader_111
0 Kudos

Hello! I am new to this chat room theme. Can someone please help with explaining what I do and how I go about it. Thank you!!

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Irishmanreader_111 wrote:

Hello! I am new to this chat room theme. Can someone please help with explaining what I do and how I go about it. Thank you!!

First WELCOME!

Second find a subject you like and read earlier posts.

Third if you want to comment, chime in, differ, ask a question, ect...  click the green reply button and do so.

Finner points

always when use *SPOILERS* when you might give something away about a book ect..

the basic nuts and bolt as well as all the bells and whistles are explained in the help threads,

but always feel free to ask

And remember we're all on here to have fun!

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Irishmanreader_111 wrote:

Tig is absolutely right, Irish. If a particular thread is of interest to you read the posts and if you want to, post your own comment or question... It's like the equivalent of a huge genre fiction bookstore/bar/convention/mental institution...Enjoy the (sometimes irreverent) chat!

Paul 

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 03-18-2009 11:12 AM
Contributor
Piscean_Wolf_Lover
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hello,

My name is Lorraine, I'm 25 and I live in Pembroke Pines, FL. I gave my location because I am very much interested in forming/joining a book club in my area.

I love books, I love reading [i.e. anything paranormal but mostly related to werewolves/shapeshifters and vampires, Political Science books/journals, romance novels].

I live at Barnes and Noble, well basically I'm broke because of the bookstore!!! Lol I'm 25 and live in a bookstore, does it show that I have no life???

"so many books, so little time"

Message Edited by Piscean_Wolf_Lover on 03-20-2009 04:22 PM
Contributor
WilliamBailey
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

WilliamBailey wrote:

Hi All,

My name is William Bailey, I’m 47 years old and I live in west Michigan. I have recently finished my first novel titled, The Great Ship of Knowledge® - Learning Earth’s Deathly History, and am excited to finally see my hard work come to fruition. I’d like to tell all of you that I have always aspired to write, but that just wouldn’t be the truth. The overwhelming motivation that drove and haunted me to write this book was a vision I suffered through after going to sleep the night of December 31st 2007. I know most will dismiss this as untrue, but I can assure you it was a real vision and I write about it in detail in the front matter of my book, a section called, The Epiphany. You should know if it wasn’t for that vision I would have never wrote this book or any other for that matter. Now that it’s written, I can’t wait to read or hear some thoughts from those who read it. Best Regards, William Bailey

Message Edited by WilliamBailey on 03-01-2009 09:33 AM

Just an update to my original post,
      Earlier, while still at her literary shipyard, The Great Ship of Knowledge® slid off her skids splashing into the sea of imaginations as she departed on her maiden voyage to pickup all those adventures souls seeking to board her as she sails around the world. 
                            Best Regards, William Bailey
Message Edited by WilliamBailey on 03-21-2009 08:57 AM
Message Edited by WilliamBailey on 03-21-2009 08:58 AM
Please visit www.thegreatshipofknowledge.com
Contributor
kmtdt2
0 Kudos

Hi everyone.  My name is Anthony M. Vann and I'm the new guy.  I'm about twenty seven years old, I've been an English teacher for years, and I love reading.  My favorite author is Dickens and most of my library is Victorian or classical.  So you're probably asking yourself why I'm here right?  Well, I just wrote a novel which will be published shortly and I'm using this as a research tool.  I want to know what other people are reading and what other people like so that I can have an idea how my book will fair.  If you have any comments or anything that you think is a stock rule that should apply to every scifi book please let me know.  I would greatly appreciate any information that anyone can give.  I'll start with a question.  Why is it that scifi or fantasy books in general always tend to be a series?  Is there a real reason for this or is it just about name recognition?  I know that might sound moronic but I really am curious.
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

kmtdt2 wrote:
Hi everyone.  My name is Anthony M. Vann and I'm the new guy.  I'm about twenty seven years old, I've been an English teacher for years, and I love reading.  My favorite author is Dickens and most of my library is Victorian or classical.  So you're probably asking yourself why I'm here right?  Well, I just wrote a novel which will be published shortly and I'm using this as a research tool.  I want to know what other people are reading and what other people like so that I can have an idea how my book will fair.  If you have any comments or anything that you think is a stock rule that should apply to every scifi book please let me know.  I would greatly appreciate any information that anyone can give.  I'll start with a question.  Why is it that scifi or fantasy books in general always tend to be a series?  Is there a real reason for this or is it just about name recognition?  I know that might sound moronic but I really am curious.

Ok, welcome.

Now that I feel called to the front of the class.

You might want to start a thread asking that.