Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Hi Yvonne,

Welcome and it's definitely not just a guy site there are a lot of us gals that like sci fi/fantasy here. And you mentioned you like it with a romantic taste so join us on the romance club. 

New User
BlueLou
0 Kudos

I love the lampoon on Drake in John Ringo's   The Princess of Wands
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:

Yvonne,

Welcome and this is not just a guy site.  Many of us females have been joining in the conversations, I'm one, with a lot to say.  Hannibal is a book I haven't read so I can't help you there.  As far as reccommendations it would help to know some of the authors you have read.  Right now I am rereading David Drake's Lord Of The Isles series in preparation for his new book coming out next month called The Gods Return.  I really liked it the first time I read the book and am enjoying it now.

Toni

Yvonne:

Toni's right – a guy sight? No way.  We actually just talked about this a while ago and – true – maybe a few decades ago – SF/Fantasy may have been seen as a "guy" genre but that is totally not true today. There's just as many females here as males – if not more. So, please, don't feel like you stumbled into some Flintstonian Quahog Men's Club. Well, wearing those horned hats would be cool but anyway...

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
VTfan
0 Kudos

Hello Yvonne,

I have read Hannibal by Thomas Harris. Is this the book you are talking about?  I would not lable it SF or Romance.  More of a blood and guts kinda book.  

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

VTfan wrote:

Hello Yvonne,

I have read Hannibal by Thomas Harris. Is this the book you are talking about?  I would not lable it SF or Romance.  More of a blood and guts kinda book.  

VTfan:

I was wondering about that myself. I just went searching for a SF/Fantasy novel entitled Hannibal and found nada. It's got to be the Thomas Harris novel, which was very good, btw. I'd classify that as a thriller – best read with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
qarae77
0 Kudos

hello everyone!  I'm not new here..not really.  But I've been absent for a week or so because...well...long story short..I was locked out of my B&N account.  But I'm back and I have a lot of catching up to do!!!  So I hope you don't mind if I chime in on some older conversations.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

qarae77 wrote:

hello everyone!  I'm not new here..not really.  But I've been absent for a week or so because...well...long story short..I was locked out of my B&N account.  But I'm back and I have a lot of catching up to do!!!  So I hope you don't mind if I chime in on some older conversations.

Rachel – or qarae, sorry! – please, please, please chime in on any discussions here. We get a ton of visitors here but many are "lurkers" – it's so much better when more people participate. (And definitely read Lamentation by Ken Scholes – it's AWESOME.)

Paul 

Frequent Contributor
qarae77
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

And definitely read Lamentation by Ken Scholes – it's AWESOME.

Paul 

I have a Books memo list in my Blackberry that I add authors and books to.  That one has definately been added!  Can't wait!

Frequent Contributor
qarae77
0 Kudos

Just a note for those that are creating profiles in the My B&N with the libraries and favorites and such...the default setting is Private.  So if you want to share and let other people check out your favs, then you will need to change to Public.
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

yvonne93sd wrote:

:smileyhappy: Hello

love science fiction

and fantasy (w/ romance if its possible!)

Im a girl, I think its a guy site. o well =) any recommendations?

How good it's the book Hannibal? they gave it to me.. should I read it ?:smileyhappy: 

tnx

xoxo yvonne

Hmpt, not a guy; but I read Hannibal back when it came out, easily the worst in that series.

And that book, well hard core crime is a better description. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic
0 Kudos

I didn't realize there was an introduction thread. I've already sorta introduced myself, but I'll do so again. Appologies for the spelling- my fingers are dyslexic tonight.

I'm Raven Lunatic, a fantasy-devouring college sophomore. I also read humor, thrillers, mystery, and science non-fiction, but fantasy is my favorite genre.There's just something about the supernatural that excites me. I'm also a sucker for anything with a cat on the cover. I'm female, but I hate chick-lit and "woman's fiction" type stuff. My favorite "classic author they make you read in school" is Shakespeare. My favorite author is Terry Pratchett, my most recent reads were Toll the Hounds by Steven Ericson and Reserved for the Cat by Mercedes Lackey.

Phew! Anyway, hi guys. I think I'll be hanging around.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic
0 Kudos

Is there an edit button? No? Well then, this is a PS: how do you get permission for an avatar? I keep trying to click the picture I want, and it keeps saying I don't have permission.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic
0 Kudos

EDIT AGAIN: Never mind. Now I've found an entirely different set of avatars... I'm confused.
Nadine
0 Kudos

Raven_Lunatic wrote:
EDIT AGAIN: Never mind. Now I've found an entirely different set of avatars... I'm confused.

A lot of things are confusing for all of us because the boards are in a transition period. They are implimenting all sorts changes right now. If you want to edit your post use the "options" button at the right hand side of the post. You can only do this for a limited time and then the option it goes away. I have no idea how long you have to change your post. I think at least an hour.

The old "avatars" were in square boxes and some are still being used. The new ones are in ovals. You set the new oval ones in your "My B&N" if that helps! The old ones are in your "Profile". And I've probably made things even more confusing!

In any case welcome to the board. I think you will like it here.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic
0 Kudos

Okay, I picked an avatar... but it's not showing up next to my messages.

Er, sorry if this is off topic. I'll start a new thread if you'd like.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Well my name is Ryan, I'm a 32 year old retail manager in Kansas.  I fell in love with reading at a very young age and have never stopped.  It is the one constant in my life that allows me to unwind, destress, and get my mind of off rude costumers.  As far as my favorite books, I really can't narrow down to much but I love the Dune series, Wheel of Time, The Dreseden Files, and most books by Mercedes Lackey and Clive Barker.
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
New User
Dee_Marie
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I am an historical-fantasy author. I love all things Arthurian, and have a reference library that is overflowing with British, Celtic, and Druid history.

Research for my "Sons of Avalon" series included a visit to Britain, where I was privileged to walk within the inner circle of Stonehenge, embracing the Dancing Stones on the Salisbury Plain. While in Cornwall, I explored the moors surrounding Bodmin, and ambled upon the ancient ruins of Tintagel.

It is very nice to meet everyone, and I am excited about joining your group.

Dee Marie

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Dee_Marie wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I am an historical-fantasy author. I love all things Arthurian, and have a reference library that is overflowing with British, Celtic, and Druid history.

Research for my "Sons of Avalon" series included a visit to Britain, where I was privileged to walk within the inner circle of Stonehenge, embracing the Dancing Stones on the Salisbury Plain. While in Cornwall, I explored the moors surrounding Bodmin, and ambled upon the ancient ruins of Tintagel.

It is very nice to meet everyone, and I am excited about joining your group.

Dee Marie

Dee Marie – and everyone else:

Welcome! Glad to have you. Drinks are around the corner and the bathroom is down the hall. You can throw your coats on the bed in the room over there. Just keep it down – the people over in Classics called the cops twice already tonight...

Paul

:smileyhappy: 

Frequent Contributor
WaterLily
0 Kudos

Ok I dont know if its just me but the dates that all of the posts were made are all not in order its kind of wierd.  Anyway my name is Laura but I always use WaterLily as a name for some reason cant remember why.  But anyway I usually lurk but I have been trying to talk more on the boards.  Although im usually in the teen reads trying to keep them from arguing with people who dont like Twilight. They need a babysitter real fast... Sorry that was really off topic. But yes I have always enjoyed science fiction and fantasy novels. Although I do have a tendency to sometimes wander off into horror or young adult. Sorry that this is so unorganized.
"In the end family is all that we have"
AGN
Contributor
AGN
0 Kudos

Hi everyone!  I am truly new here and hope I reply right.   I just graduated in May with my undergraduate degree and have now moved back home to Nebraska.  I love to read, and fantasy is probably my favorite though I enjoy a little romance.  Outside of books my other obsession is my dogs.