New User
Dragonsantar

Re: Introduce Yourself!

My name is Cherie and I've had my Nook for about a month.  I love it of course and am putting way to many books on it already!  I enjoy reading but my favorite is Fantasy Fiction and maybe a little Science Fiction here and there. 

I wont bore anyone with my numerous authors but I will read just about anything! Just started reading Patrica Briggs and love her writing style. 

Look forward to being on the boards.  Have a great year!

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Dragonsantar wrote:

My name is Cherie and I've had my Nook for about a month.  I love it of course and am putting way to many books on it already!  I enjoy reading but my favorite is Fantasy Fiction and maybe a little Science Fiction here and there. 

I wont bore anyone with my numerous authors but I will read just about anything! Just started reading Patrica Briggs and love her writing style. 

Look forward to being on the boards.  Have a great year!

Welcome to the forums, Cherie – and to Nook!

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Contributor
UnicronSocial
0 Kudos

My name is Brad. Hated to read when I was in high school. Now all I read is Science Fiction/Fantasy. Favorite author is R.A. Salvatore. Got a new Nook for Christmas. Love it and take it everywhere.

Contributor
douglasnovels
0 Kudos

Hello out there....my name is Marc Douglas and I have published two books last year with a third book due out very soon.  "Slingshot" is a three book series that took over nine years to complete.  The first book has received three five star reviews in the few months it has been out.  When I finished "Sling" I was inspired by Dean Koontz to try my hand at thrillers.  "Soon" was published but recently put on hold as we are revising it.  "Blind Sight" is my second thriller and will be sent to press very shortly.

Later this year I have another tale inspired by Dumas.  "The Count of Monte Cristo" was my father's and my son's favorite book and it ranks as one of my favorite as well.  "The Lieutenant's Angels" is a modern version inspired by the classic.  It is, however, not just a updated version but has its own story to tell.

Please visit my website at: http://www.douglasnovels.com

Thanks, Marc Douglas

Contributor
Rosalyn_Hart
0 Kudos

Douglasnovels,

I'm glad you introduced yourself--"The Count of Monte Cristo" happens to be my favorite book as well so I'll be sure to check out "The Lieutenant's Angels." Welcome to the boards!

Contributor
douglasnovels
0 Kudos

Thanks Rosalyn.  "L's A" is finished but will take a few months of polishing before print.  I hope to have it out by the end of this year.  "Blind Sight", my new thriller, should be going to print shortly and then the sequel to "Slingshot" will be released.   Thanks for your reply, Marc

Reader
mld0806
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hello, fellow readers! My name is Michael and I'm a 31 year old manager of a big box bookstore (not a B&N) who is tempted into the enemy camp by my Nook Color.

My reading interests are all over the place (Asimov one week, Emily Giffin the next and then hard history the week after that), but sci-fi/fantasy is a staple genre for over 20 years for me, starting with Dragonlance and mushrooming from there.

Now that I've come on board it'll be nice to actually sit and discuss books! You wouldn't believe how little time running a bookstore gives you to do that on a daily basis!

New User
prettyperiwinkle
0 Kudos

Hi! My name is Mary.  I live in Pembroke Pines, FL I found my way over here from the B&N home page looking for a bookclub.  I am interested in Fantasy & Science Fiction (newbie to this genre).  Does anybody know of a local bookclub I can join or how I go about finding bookclubs other then online.

Thank you

Correspondent
AlmH
0 Kudos

Hi I'm Alm Hlgh writer. I just found this Barnes & Noble community and am very excited about it.  Sincerely hope that some of you enjoy my work.  :smileyhappy:

eBooks by Alm Hlgh

http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?store=book&ATH=Alm+Hlgh
Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Instead of having every new person post a thread saying "Hello!" here's a thread where everyone can go to introduce themselves and tell us a little bit about yourself, your reading preferences, etc. It's kind of like the front door of the forum where all newbies can stop and say hi. 

So why don't I start? Ahem – my name is Paul Goat Allen and I'm a 43-year old full-time book reviewer. I've written more than 5,000 book reviews – mostly SF and Fantasy – for esteemed establishments like BN.com, Publishers Weekly, BookPage magazine and The Chicago Tribune, to name a few. I've always loved SF and Fantasy and grew up reading stuff like Tolkien's LOTR, Michael Moorcock's Elric saga, Asimov's Foundation novels, and basically everything from authors like Arthur C. Clarke, Roger Zelazny, Heinlein and Herbert. I love SF/Fantasy and it's always been a part of my life and career: after teaching high school English for a year, I ended up managing bookstores for almost a decade before hooking up with B&N's SF/Fantasy book review Explorations, which sadly no longer exists. During my time as editor of Explorations, I had the pleasure of interviewing dozens of genre legends like Anne McCaffrey, Stephen Baxter, Moorcock, Laurell K. Hamilton, R.A. Salvatore, Orson Scott Card, Vernor Vinge and Terry Goodkind, to name a few. 

Too much information?

Paul 

Hi I'm Stephanie, a college student from arkansas.  I read fantasy, and mystery mostly.  I write poetry as well.  My major is journalism.  My username is shadowcat which is reference to a x man of same name and my cat which i named shadow. 

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Contributor
BookCore
0 Kudos

Newbie here!  I've been reading fantasy and science fiction for about 25 years, give or take.  I think my favorite author in this category is Marion Zimmer Bradley, and I'm presently re-reading "The Mists of Avalon" for the 600th time.  Also love Ursula K. LeGuin, Tolkien (of course), Sheri S. Tepper, Ray Bradbury.  Another type of book I like is the futuristic or apocalyptic novel, maybe by someone not considered a F/SF writer, such as "The Fifth Sacred Thing" by Starhawk, or "Oryx and Crake" by Margaret Atwood.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

BookCore wrote:

Newbie here!  I've been reading fantasy and science fiction for about 25 years, give or take.  I think my favorite author in this category is Marion Zimmer Bradley, and I'm presently re-reading "The Mists of Avalon" for the 600th time.  Also love Ursula K. LeGuin, Tolkien (of course), Sheri S. Tepper, Ray Bradbury.  Another type of book I like is the futuristic or apocalyptic novel, maybe by someone not considered a F/SF writer, such as "The Fifth Sacred Thing" by Starhawk, or "Oryx and Crake" by Margaret Atwood.

Welcome, BookCore – anyone who has read The Mists of Avalon 600 times is a friend of mine!

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Reader
JHOberith

[ Edited ]

Hello there everybody. I'm new to this type of thing but here it goes.

I'm 32 years old and live in Northern California. I've been reading mostly fantasy since grade school (loved the Choose Your Own Adventure books). After that I started reading the Dragonlance and Drizzt series. Loved them both and have HAD to introduce young readers to both (I hope they looked into them). I really got interested in Fantasy after the Navy and got most book ideas from my dad. I have read The Sword of Truth series (and I have to include The Law of Nines in the series - I know it is a stand alone but...) starting at The Temple of Winds and re-read as a new book released. Tolkien, Terry Brooks, Dennis L. McKiernan, Robert Asprin and Jim Butcher are just a few of the many authors that I have enjoyed since.

As you can see by my pen name, I am a HUGE fan of The Wheel of Time. I have read the series so many times I can't even count how many paperbacks I have gone through. Lately I have been seriously looking at purchasing a nook color so I can save the bindings of my hardbacks and some paperbacks (I hate seeing my books lose pages). Other than that I am interested in getting back into some classic fantasy, primarily Robert E. Howard, but am not sure where to begin. Reading some more Black Company would be nice too.

Okay I have gone on way to much tonight. Good to meet you all.

TiggerBear

JHOberith wrote:

Hello there everybody. I'm new to this type of thing but here it goes.

I'm 32 years old and live in Northern California. I've been reading mostly fantasy since grade school (loved the Choose Your Own Adventure books). After that I started reading the Dragonlance and Drizzt series. Loved them both and have HAD to introduce young readers to both (I hope they looked into them). I really got interested in Fantasy after the Navy and got most book ideas from my dad. I have read The Sword of Truth series (and I have to include The Law of Nines in the series - I know it is a stand alone but...) starting at The Temple of Winds and re-read as a new book released. Tolkien, Terry Brooks, Dennis L. McKiernan, Robert Asprin and Jim Butcher are just a few of the many authors that I have enjoyed since.

As you can see by my pen name, I am a HUGE fan of The Wheel of Time. I have read the series so many times I can't even count how many paperbacks I have gone through. Lately I have been seriously looking at purchasing a nook color so I can save the bindings of my hardbacks and some paperbacks (I hate seeing my books lose pages). Other than that I am interested in getting back into some classic fantasy, primarily Robert E. Howard, but am not sure where to begin. Reading some more Black Company would be nice too.

Okay I have gone on way to much tonight. Good to meet you all.

Welcome, your are in good company! :smileyvery-happy: Well met.

As to Howard if you point out which you've already read, I would be happy to point out what you skipped. I'm positive Paul can too. Not to mention hang around here and everyone will definitely load you up with wonderful suggestions. We just can't help ourselves.:smileyvery-happy:

Reader
JHOberith
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

As to Howard if you point out which you've already read, I would be happy to point out what you skipped. I'm positive Paul can too. Not to mention hang around here and everyone will definitely load you up with wonderful suggestions. We just can't help ourselves.:smileyvery-happy:

Thank You for the great welcome. I really can't remember which books I had read (way to long ago) but I'd still like any feedback on where to start.

TiggerBear

JHOberith wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Thank You for the great welcome. I really can't remember which books I had read (way to long ago) but I'd still like any feedback on where to start.

The Sword Woman and Other Historical Adventures

The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane

The Horror Stories of Robert E. Howard

El Borak and Other Desert Adventures

Kull

Conan the Barbarian

Bran Mak Morn  

Almuric  for a start:smileywink:

They've had some semirecent nice reprint collections come out.

Reader
JHOberith
0 Kudos

That's great, Thank you very much.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

JHOberith wrote:

That's great, Thank you very much.

Welcome!:smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
Vanguard-TM

I noticed Robert Asprin on your list have you tried Terry Pratchett? As far as classics I like and recommend Leigh Brackett, Henry Kuttner, and Fritz Leiber's grey mouser series. Also the books Three Hearts Three Lions, The Broken Sword and The High Crusade by Poul Anderson. Also Michael Moorcock, if you haven't already you will enjoy the Elric books.
Contributor
Vanguard-TM
0 Kudos

I started reading fantasy in grade school when I found Dragonlance Time of the Twins in the bookstore and fell in love with the cover. Since then I have read way too many and I have way too many fav. authors to name them all. I read high fantasy and pulp. Paranormal romance and young adult. Urban fantasy and satire. Isaac Asimov to Star Wars. My fav. book is Howl's Moving Castle. My new fav. discovery for last year was The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms. Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Leigh Brackett, Henry Kuttner, Michael Moorcock, Poul Anderson, Orson Scott Card, Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams,Sherrilyn Kenyon, Kresley Cole, A Merrit and I just know I am forgetting someone that I will feel like kicking myself for.