paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

JANUARY FEATURE #1: Bones of the Dragon by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman

This new novel from Weis and Hickman – legends in the epic fantasy game since the 1980s when they essentially redefined the entire genre with the Dragonlance novels, the Darksword saga, Rose of the Prophet, the Death Gate Cycle, etc. – is the first blockbuster fantasy release of the year. Bones of the Dragon, the first installment of a six-book series, is supposed to be the novel that reaffirms Weis and Hickman's place in the pantheon of elite epic fantasy authors...

...but is it on par with their classic work or has their time at the top of the epic fantasy mountain  come and gone? The Publishers Weekly review (below) was lukewarm at best but I've heard from readers who have absolutely LOVED this novel. There are a ton of questions I want to throw out there but I guess the two big ones are:

1. Are Weis and Hickman back to their winning ways or has the subgenre of epic fantasy evolved too much and "dated" their writing style?

2. Weis and Hickman are obviously masters of world-building – what are your thoughts on how they "revisited" the Norse myths?

Paul

Publishers Weekly

In this barely disguised Viking pastiche, the dragonships have real dragons and the gods fight side by side with their heroes. Named Chief of Chiefs of the sea-raiding Vindrasi, Skylan Ivorson discovers that his victory over the last chief came through another's treachery, his betrothed is in love with his best friend and his gods may be dead. Impetuously, he plunges ahead on a quest to recover the sacred Vektan Torque, but betrayal leaves the voyagers in chains. Despite some clumsy alterations to Norse myth and history, Weis and Hickman (Dragons of the Highlord Skies) have created a believably human story out of their mix of saga and sorcery, and the problems of ruling after the glee of seizing the crown make Skylan a more honest and sympathetic hero than the typical, overly successful fantasy protagonist. (Jan.)

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Bones-of-the-Dragon/Margaret-Weis/e/9780765319739/?itm=3

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: JANUARY FEATURE #1: Bones of the Dragon by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman

I fliped through this book before buying, I wasn't impressed so I didn't buy it. Seemed too similar to their other books. I may be wrong (shrug) but, too much money for a retread to me.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I'm waiting to see if the library gets this one but to tell you the truth there has sure not been much hype about it.  But I am definitly not buying it.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Nadine
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:
I fliped through this book before buying, I wasn't impressed so I didn't buy it. Seemed too similar to their other books. I may be wrong (shrug) but, too much money for a retread to me.

Do you guys all have access to advanced reading copies? I haven't seen this book out yet and few reviews. A retread doesn't bother me -- I haven't read any yet! The advantages of being a newbie!

In any case here are the links to an extended excerpt which looks like it may give you a good chunk of the book to sample and a good headstart on the read.

Part 1

Part 2

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

Do you guys all have access to advanced reading copies?

Nadine:

Yes. That – and publisher catalogues – is how I search out titles to feature months ahead of time. The pub date on Bones of the Dragon is 1/6/09 so it's right around the corner.

I thought some of you would have something to say about Weis and Hickman's previous works, many of which have been called adventure fantasy classics. I know quite a few people who were "introduced"  to adventure fantasy through Weis and Hickman's Dragonlance novels... Are any of you out there?

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

I have not read any of the previous books by Weis and Hickman.  I thought the new one would be something I liked.  I think I am going to see about getting it then when I am done I will have to add the Dragonlance Novels to my, quickly growing, list.  (I just love this)

After hearing how everyone is worried of it being a rehash I will have to read them and compare.  However, it may take me a little bit of time.  (sigh, say a month or two.)

Melissa

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Nadine wrote:

Do you guys all have access to advanced reading copies?

Nadine:

Yes. That – and publisher catalogues – is how I search out titles to feature months ahead of time. The pub date on Bones of the Dragon is 1/6/09 so it's right around the corner.

I thought some of you would have something to say about Weis and Hickman's previous works, many of which have been called adventure fantasy classics. I know quite a few people who were "introduced"  to adventure fantasy through Weis and Hickman's Dragonlance novels... Are any of you out there?

Paul 

Speaking of that, I have a question Paul. Why is ocationally copies in stores and online ordered come up to 2 weeks in advance, but at other times up to 3 weeks after release?

Shipping mistiming, copies ariving ahead or late due to high volume sales? Are some publishers regularly tardy? Are release dates more of a hopeful guideline? I'm curious, because it's been happening alot more than in the past.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

I have not read any of the previous books by Weis and Hickman.  I thought the new one would be something I liked.  I think I am going to see about getting it then when I am done I will have to add the Dragonlance Novels to my, quickly growing, list.  (I just love this)

After hearing how everyone is worried of it being a rehash I will have to read them and compare.  However, it may take me a little bit of time.  (sigh, say a month or two.)

Melissa

Great authors. But there is only so many times with the same flavor and variations of the same characters I can read the same plot.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Melissa

Great authors. But there is only so many times with the same flavor and variations of the same characters I can read the same plot.

That I can understand.  That is when being able to predict the story makes it a little or a lot on the boring side and you just can't keep going.  I getch ya.

Melissa

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Speaking of that, I have a question Paul. Why is ocationally copies in stores and online ordered come up to 2 weeks in advance, but at other times up to 3 weeks after release?

Shipping mistiming, copies ariving ahead or late due to high volume sales? Are some publishers regularly tardy? Are release dates more of a hopeful guideline? I'm curious, because it's been happening alot more than in the past.

Tig:

That's a good question – and the answer has everything to do with the publisher. Some publishers will list a book's release date as "January" and the book isn't released until 1/27 while other publishers will release January titles in mid December. This has been a minor irritant to me ever since I managed bookstores – and I'm sure it irks readers to no end. I have seen more publishers getting more specific with their release dates over the past few years so I think it's slowly getting better.

Paul 

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I have read a lot of books written by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman but I have also read a lot that were written just by Margaret Weis as well  as the ones she wrote with Don Perrin who I believe is her husbund.  I guess I'm like a lot of others the ones she writes with Tracy are very predictable but the ones that she has written on her own or with other people have been very suprising.  I think my favorite's are the Mag Force series that she wrote with Don Perrin and DarkHeart with David Baldwin.  I think it is because the different CoAuthor's brought something new to the table.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Okay fellow fantasy fanatics, it's safe. The latest Weis/Hickman collaboration wasn't a "bust" like some of us thought it might be. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised. That said, it wasn't a flawless novel by any means – the Viking motif was kind of superficial but I really liked the risks they took with developing the main characters – although this story has the trappings of a formuaic adventure fantasy, Weis and Hickman really tried to make it "different" and in large part I think they succeeded.

Is it as good as their Dragonlance or Darksword stuff?  It's hard to tell. Here's the thing – Bones of the Dragon is the first book in a 6 book saga. Six books! So while there was lots of action and intrigue in this first book, it was all essentially a big 400+ page introduction to the realm, the characters, etc. It's too early to tell whether it'll be their crowning literary achievement or just another good quest fantasy series...

Much more on this book in a few days once you guys get a chance to read it...

Paul 

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Okay, Has anyone read this book yet?

I went to the book store this evening with all good intentions on buying it.  BUT, when I got there I just couldn't bring by self to spend $25 on one book.  I am sorry.  Christmas has drained me of all funds currently.  And the more I stood there looking at it I just didn't know if I would like it.

So, if anyone has read this yet please let me know if I made a mistake and should have spent the money....

Melissa

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

I went to the book store this evening with all good intentions on buying it.  BUT, when I got there I just couldn't bring by self to spend $25 on one book.  I am sorry.  Christmas has drained me of all funds currently.  And the more I stood there looking at it I just didn't know if I would like it.

So, if anyone has read this yet please let me know if I made a mistake and should have spent the money....

Melissa

Melissa:

I've been waiting around for someone to post and I've been more than surprised at how dead this thread is! 

Either: A. No one is buying this book, or B. People are reading it and not liking it. Either way I thought I'd get quite a few comments about how good or bad this book is....

Maybe I should be asking, "why isn't anyone intereted in this book?" Geez, this was one of the BIG releases this month...

Paul 

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Well Paul as you said I would have though if people where reading the book they would have at lest posted, 'Didn't like it', 'reading was slow', or even 'was a repeat of previous'.  Now I am curious again about the book.  I was hoping someone out there read it and could give me just a little insight to make me even more curious and run right out to buy it.  I will have to look on B&N, sometimes they have used copies from other stores which are cheaper.  Have you ever purchased a used copy?  Do they come in good shape?

Thank you,

Melissa

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

Well Paul as you said I would have though if people where reading the book they would have at lest posted, 'Didn't like it', 'reading was slow', or even 'was a repeat of previous'.  Now I am curious again about the book.  I was hoping someone out there read it and could give me just a little insight to make me even more curious and run right out to buy it.  I will have to look on B&N, sometimes they have used copies from other stores which are cheaper.  Have you ever purchased a used copy?  Do they come in good shape?

Thank you,

Melissa

Melissa:

I read this book and it was "good" – but as good as Weis and Hickman's classic stuff? It's hard to tell with just one book in the series. I thought even if readers didn't like this book as much as W&H's previous works, at least there would be some great discussion comparing the different storylines, similarities between series, etc.

Now I'm thinking that maybe readers are perceiving W&H as "old" and are more interested in new authors like Patrick Rothfuss, Ken Scholes, etc.

Paul 

Nadine
0 Kudos

I think it is the cost and the lack of discussion participation in the past. I know that is my problem. I have been kind of waiting for someone who has read the book say something about it. If they raved about it and a lively discussion was taking place, I would put out the big bucks. But I don't want to invest a lot of money and time in another dead expensive book. I have a feeling that is what a lot of other people are doing. If it were a cheaper book, I might take a chance on it and try to initiate some discussion on my own, but for such a pricy book, when I have so many unread books (and half finished books from other months) on my shelf, I'll wait before taking a chance on it.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

My problem is the library just got it in and I was not quick enough to be in the top six holds so I have to wait at least a month if not longer before I can read it.  I just afford to pay the hardback price.  I never know how popular a book is going to be  because sometimes no one puts a hold on it before it comes out and sometimes a lot of people do.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Melissa

Melissa:

I've been waiting around for someone to post and I've been more than surprised at how dead this thread is! 

Either: A. No one is buying this book, or B. People are reading it and not liking it. Either way I thought I'd get quite a few comments about how good or bad this book is....

Maybe I should be asking, "why isn't anyone intereted in this book?" Geez, this was one of the BIG releases this month...

Paul 

(cough) thought I answered that question already

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Melissa

Melissa:

Paul 

(cough) thought I answered that question already

You kind of answered the question.  You did already said when you flipped through the book you were not impressed so you didn't buy it.  It seemed to similar to the other books and too much $.  You also did mention only so many times of the same flavor, variation and characters that you can read the same plot.

Buuut you didn't say you read it.  I was wondering if it really is the same.  And, I have not read any of the others.  So maybe it would be okay for me to read.  But for the price maybe I'll go buy one of the older ones if I will get the same thing but cheaper.  I do agree it is a little to much in the pocket currently but I am wondering if there is anyone who thought it was worth it.

And I was wondering what other people may have thought, since there isn't to many posts here.

But thank you very much for your thoughts on the book.  That is what I wanted to hear.  It sounds as though I may have made the correct choice.

Melissa