Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

January, February and March SF/Fantasy Preview

[ Edited ]

Here's our features for January, February and March. January's "Big" book is Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman's Bones of the Dragon, the first book in a new fantasy quest epic. And although this book isn't officially released until 1/6/09, I thought it would be interesting to get a conversation going about all of the other Weis/Hickman landmark works – the Dragonlance novels, the Darksword quartet, Rose of the Prophet, the Death Gate Cycle, etc. – and their place in the pantheon of adventure fantasy. This book has a ton of hype behind it so I'm really looking forward to reading it – Weis and Hickman writing an epic involving Viking-like protagonists could be amazing!

February's lead feature is The Last Theorem by two SF legends, Arthur C. Clarke and Frederik Pohl – their first ever collaboration! I've always been a big fan of Clarke (who passed away in March of 2008) and when Publishers Weekly called this novel a "can't-put-down adventure that focuses on their mutual strengths: high adventure, fun characters and hard science" I knew that I had to read it. 

March, of course, is all about Ken Scholes and his debut novel Lamentation, which is one of the best genre novels I've ever read. It's a savvy blend of adventure fantasy and hard SF that will not only become a genre classic but could very well redefine the boundaries between SF and fantasy. This is going to be a blockbuster release and having Ken here all month is a godsend. Next year this guy is going to be a superstar so getting to talk with him now, just after his debut is released, is going to an awesome experience!

Paul

JANUARY ’09 FANTASY/SCIENCE FICTION
Feature #1: Bones of the Dragon by Weis and Hickman (9780765319739, $24.95)
Feature #2: Watermind by M.M. Buckner (9780765320247, $24.95)
Feature #3: The Alchemy of Stone by Ekaterina Sedia (9780809572847, $12.95)

FEBRUARY ’09 FANTASY/SCIENCE FICTION
Feature #1: The Last Theorem by Arthur C. Clarke and Frederik Pohl (9780345470218, $27.00) 11/11
Feature #2: The Suicide Collectors by David Oppegaard (9780312381103, $23.95) - debut
Feature #3: Pandemonium by Daryl Gregory (9780345501165, $13.00) – debut fantasy

MARCH ’09 FANTASY/SCIENCE FICTION
Feature #1: Lamentation by Ken Scholes (9780765321275, $25.95) – Ken is visiting all month!
Feature #2: Black Blood by John Meaney (9780553806717, $24.00)
Feature #3: Bone Song by John Meaney (9780553590951, $6.99)

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 12-23-2008 08:02 PM
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: January, February and March SF/Fantasy Preview

Paul,

You sure know how to blow my  budget for the first quarter of the year.  This is as great as the ones you picked for Paranormal/Urban Fantasy now if I just get them all read as well as the romances I'm committed to read before I get committed.  Love the books though.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm on for Alchemy of Stone and Bones of the Dragon for January. I dug up these excerpts in case anyone wants to sample them.

Alchemy of Stone

Excerpt: http://www.darkfantasy.org/fantasy/?p=713

Interview: http://www.darkfantasy.org/fantasy/?p=744

Bones of the Dragon excerpt

http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/2008/11/exclusive-excerpt-from-margaret-weis.html

And Bones of the Dragon is planned as a six book series! Now that is good to know.

Ah, I just found a second installment on the excerpt. This should give some of you a bit of a head start while waiting for the book to come out:

Second Part of Excerpt

Message Edited by Nadine on 12-23-2008 10:06 PM
Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic
0 Kudos

I have Alchemy of Stone lying around on a table somewhere. It turned out not to be the sort of thing I'm really into, but it was well-written.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

The Alchemy of Stone was my sleeper pick for the month – kind of a fusion of steampunk and fantasy and alt history that had the potential to be an amazing read.

I like authors who take chances and have profoundly moving themes in their works and Ekaterina Sedia – a Moscow native – seemed like that kind of writer. The reviews I've read have been off-the-charts raves but this may be one of those books that is absolutely fantastic but, for whatever reason, doesn't strike a chord with some readers... Sorry Raven, I feel like I let you down.   :smileysad:

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I am really excited about The Suicide Collectors by David Oppegaard, and i just read the first chapter of Pandemonium by Daryl Gregory and it was good.  I started to read Bone Song by John Meaney and I liked what I read but I never had time to finish it so I had to return it to the library.  Some I'm looking forward to reading both of his books as well.
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

fforgnayr wrote:
I am really excited about The Suicide Collectors by David Oppegaard, and i just read the first chapter of Pandemonium by Daryl Gregory and it was good.  I started to read Bone Song by John Meaney and I liked what I read but I never had time to finish it so I had to return it to the library.  Some I'm looking forward to reading both of his books as well.

Ryan:

I love discovering exceptional debuts and I'm hoping the Oppegaard and the Gregory releases are as great as I've been told. Both have had unbelievably positive reviews...

And the John Meaney novels are .... interesting. I am a big fan of his Nulapeiron Sequence  (epic SF) but last year's Bone Song and the upcoming Black Blood are something entirely different! I'll talk more about this strange – and intriguing – departure for Meaney later... 

Paul 

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I read the excerts and/or chapter 1 for Bones of the Dragon and The Alchemy of Stone.  I am not sure on The Alchemy of Stone for me, I may try it any way.  But the Bones of the Dragon sounds good.  I will have to purchase that one, hopefully I get B&N money.  I do see this is a new series, but I just want to make sure...  It is not related to the previous books, Correct?  I just don't like starting in the middle and missing information.

I just keep adding to my to be read list.  I really like all the ideas of books to read.

Thank you to all of you!

Melissa

Message Edited by Melhay on 12-24-2008 11:16 AM

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Nadine
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

The Alchemy of Stone was my sleeper pick for the month – kind of a fusion of steampunk and fantasy and alt history that had the potential to be an amazing read.

Ok, I think I finally might have the major genres figured out but there seems to be a bewildering number of sub- and sub-sub-genres! What is steampunk?

Actually, I find I am developing a real sympathy and liking for Mattie so that is doing something. She also seems to have a refreshing attitude toward things. This may work! Physically Mattie has more in common with a teapot with spring driven copper arms and legs than a human. Hmmm, teapot. Maybe that is the steam in steampunk.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

Ok, I think I finally might have the major genres figured out but there seems to be a bewildering number of sub- and sub-sub-genres! What is steampunk?

Nadine:

Sorry about that! Steampunk (to me) is a fusion of adventure fantasy and alt history or speculative fiction. It's usually set in worlds comparable to Victorian Age England – "steam" powered  civilizations – and most have have a cyber "punk" feel – generally with a dystopic underpinning with highly intelligent, rebellious storylines and a Golden Age sense of adventure as well...

Others may very well read this and disagree but at least to me that's what I consider steampunk...

Happy holidays, Nadine!     :smileyhappy: 

Paul 

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Weis & Hickman doing some Viking kind o' stuff?! I'm in. My fanatsy football winnings should cover Jan. between this board and the Paranormal Board (Simon Green over there), but my wife is going to have to win more at the Bingo Hall for the rest of the year.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

If anyone else is interested here is a link to the first chapter of Pandemonium by Daryl Gregory.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Nadine
0 Kudos

fforgnayr wrote:

If anyone else is interested here is a link to the first chapter of Pandemonium by Daryl Gregory.

Thanks of the link to the first chapter. I'm on for Pandemonium. Looks great! I pulled a few sample reviews for those who are interested. Haven't seen a negative one yet. They are all raving and this is a first novel:

Publishers Weekly
Pandemonium
Daryl Gregory. Del Rey, $13 paper (304p) ISBN 978-0-345-50116-5

Believable characters, a multilayered plot and smooth prose define Gregory's darkly ambitious debut novel. In this fascinating alternative time line, thousands of demon possessions have been carefully recorded by scientists each year since the 1950s. Each case is always the same: a recognizable, named strain of the disorderpossesses a person, wreaks havoc and then jumps on to its next victim. Del Pierce's case is unique: when the Hellion possessed him at the age of five, it never left. Now an unhappy 20-something, Del undertakes a dangerous quest to exorcise the Hellion as it fights him for control. The trim prose keeps the pace intense and the action red hot through some emotionally disturbing scenes and heavy backstory. Absorbing psychological discussions of possession abound, from Jungian archetypes to the eye of Shiva. Readers will delve deeply into Gregory's highly original demon-infested reality and hope for a sequel. (Sept.)

Library Journal
Gregory, Daryl. Pandemonium. Del Rey: Ballantine. Sept. 2008. c.304p. ISBN 978-0-345-50116-5. pap. $13. FANTASY

In Gregory's alternate world, the 1950s saw the emergence of a new phenomenon in which ordinary people began to be possessednot by demons from Hell but by archetypes straight from the collective unconsciousness. Among these are the Kamikaze, who drives its hosts to spectacular acts of suicide or assassination; the Truth, who destroys liars; and the Little Angel, a young girl in a nightgown, who visits the dying and whose kiss speeds them to their inevitable end. Since he was five, Del Pierce has been possessed by the Hellion, a creature part Dennis the Menace, part total destructive mayhem. To all appearances, Del is now free of the "demon," and his family simply believes that he has been mentally ill. But Del knows that the Hellion is still trapped within his body, always on the edge of breaking his host's eroding control. Rising sf/fantasy star Gregory, winner of the Asimov's Reader's Award for his novelette "Second Person, Present Tense," demonstrates his skill at full-length storytelling in a debut novel that breaks new ground while paying homage to some of the genre's most iconoclastic authors, A.E. Van Vogt and Philip K. Dick. Most libraries should introduce sf fans to this bright new voice of the 21st century.

Reviews
http://www.scifi.com/sfw/books/sfw19458.html
http://darylgregory.com/pandemonium/Review_NYRSF.aspx
http://www.geocities.com/fantasticreviews/pandemonium.htm
http://www.strangehorizons.com/reviews/2008/10/two_views_pande.shtml
http://www.graemesfantasybookreview.com/2008/06/pandemonium-daryl-gregory-del-rey.html

Interview with Daryl Gregory

http://www.geocities.com/fantasticreviews/gregory_interview.htm

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Okay, looks like I am hooked onto this one!

Melissa

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Frequent Contributor
DavidOppegaard
0 Kudos

Cool. I'm glad my novel The Suicide Collectors was chosen to be featured for Febuary!

For everything and anything about the book, check out my author website:

www.davidoppegaard.com

Stay warm , everyone!

Dave

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

DavidOppegaard wrote:

Cool. I'm glad my novel The Suicide Collectors was chosen to be featured for Febuary!

www.davidoppegaard.com

Stay warm , everyone!

Dave

Dave:

Hey, this is just fantastic!  I wanted to get in touch with you last month to (hopefully) invite you to the forum but your site had no contact info. I hope you'll stick around throughout January so that you can read all of our comments regarding The Suicide Collectors and to maybe give us a little insight into the inspiration behind writing it. (I'll have all the January threads up and running early next week, by the way!)

Paul 

Nadine
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

DavidOppegaard wrote:

www.davidoppegaard.com

Stay warm , everyone!

Dave

Dave:

Hey, this is just fantastic!  I wanted to get in touch with you last month to (hopefully) invite you to the forum but your site had no contact info. I hope you'll stick around throughout January so that you can read all of our comments regarding The Suicide Collectors and to maybe give us a little insight into the inspiration behind writing it. (I'll have all the January threads up and running early next week, by the way!)

Paul 

Oops! Did I miss a change? I thought this was for February.

FEBRUARY ’09 FANTASY/SCIENCE FICTION
Feature #1: The Last Theorem by Arthur C. Clarke and Frederik Pohl (9780345470218, $27.00) 11/11
Feature #2: The Suicide Collectors by David Oppegaard (9780312381103, $23.95) - debut
Feature #3: Pandemonium by Daryl Gregory (9780345501165, $13.00) – debut fantasy

----------------------------------------

Hi David, it will be great having you join the board. But please tell your publisher to get your book on the book shelves. I just checked for your book at my local books stores:

1. Barnes & Noble Booksellers
Glendale Americana
Out Of Stock

2. B. Dalton Booksellers
Los Angeles Mall
Out Of Stock

3. Barnes & Noble Booksellers
The Grove at Farmers Market
Out Of Stock

4. Barnes & Noble Booksellers
Media City Center
Out Of Stock

5. Barnes & Noble Booksellers
Pasadena
Out Of Stock

Frequent Contributor
DavidOppegaard
0 Kudos

Hi Paul. Sure thing, I'd be happy to hang around for the discussion. I think the coolest thing about being published so far is literally having many different people give you their interpertations of your book after years of working on it in a near vacuum.  My e-mail is

oppegaard@gmail  (if you click on my name at the bottom of my site it pops up)

----------------------------------------

Hi Nadine, I've e-mailed my editor about your stores.  The book had a smallish first print run (not exactly promising economic times right now), thereby limiting its distribution, but hopefully stuff like this book club will convince St. Martin's Press to print more! 

Thanks,

David Oppegaard

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

DavidOppegaard wrote:

Hi Paul. Sure thing, I'd be happy to hang around for the discussion. I think the coolest thing about being published so far is literally having many different people give you their interpertations of your book after years of working on it in a near vacuum.

David:

You just made my month! I am really looking forward to reading The Suicide Collectors – even more so now that I know you'll be around. Thanks!

Paul 

Contributor
Daryl-Gregory
0 Kudos

Hi folks,

Like David, I'm thrilled to have my book picked as one of your books for February! When y'all get around to reading Pandemonium, I'll be happy to answer any questions you have.  fforgnayr and Nadine have already posted links to my site, which is where you can find most of the info on the book.

By the way, if any of you are in the Hackensack area, I'll be signing at the Barnes & Noble there on January 24, along with several other fantasy writers. Details are on my blog. Stop on by, and I'll be able to answer you questions in person!

Thanks again.

-- Daryl

darylgregory.com