Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Re: January, February and March SF/Fantasy Preview

Daryl,

Thanks for stopping by.  After reading the first chapter of your book (from your website) I'm really looking forward to reading the rest.  I'm sure I and others will have many questions for you in Feb. 

Ryan

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Daryl:

Welcome – and congrats on a fantastic debut. I was looking forward to discussing it with the regulars here – but now I'm just simply overjoyed to be able to run some comments and questions past the author himself. Thank you for joining us!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Since I wasn't sure how long it would take to get in I had ordered The Suicide Collectors from Barnes and Noble.  I went and picked it up today and have read about 10 pages and really like it so far.  Can't wait for the discussion next month.  The only thing I was surprised by is that for some reason I was expecting it to be longer.

Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

I am now the proud owner of both Pandemonium and Bone Song, so hope to join in those discussions.

Carol

So many books, so little time...
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Chomp wrote:

I am now the proud owner of both Pandemonium and Bone Song, so hope to join in those discussions.

Carol

Awesome, Carol! I'm particularly interested in how you enjoy the Meaney saga (Bone Song and Black Blood). He's an amazing writer in the realm of epic SF – His Nulapeiron Sequence was simply spectacular – and this is his first foray into dark fantasy. Really cool stuff, especially the world-building, which is so over-the-top it's breathtaking. This is also a great example of the genre blending movement – it's equal parts dark fantasy, horror, police procedural and even a hint of SF!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Chomp wrote:

Carol

Awesome, Carol! I'm particularly interested in how you enjoy the Meaney saga (Bone Song and Black Blood). He's an amazing writer in the realm of epic SF – His Nulapeiron Sequence was simply spectacular – and this is his first foray into dark fantasy. Really cool stuff, especially the world-building, which is so over-the-top it's breathtaking. This is also a great example of the genre blending movement – it's equal parts dark fantasy, horror, police procedural and even a hint of SF!

Paul 

This sounds (and looks) great, Paul.

Also, I just now saw that Daryl Gregory will join in the discussion of his book next month, which is great.

Carol

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Chomp wrote:

This sounds (and looks) great, Paul.

Also, I just now saw that Daryl Gregory will join in the discussion of his book next month, which is great.

Carol:

Yes, Daryl Gregory's Pandemonium is going to be an incredibly interesting thread, especially since he said he'll stop by and chat with us.  I've read and heard just outrageously great things about this debut and I'm dying to read it (soon, very soon)!

Paul 

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I'm hoping that I can get the book because it sounds so great.  I just wish it wasn't coming out in hardback.  Oh well my birthday's coming up and maybe I can get someone to get it for me.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Toni, if I remember right I saw Pandemonium in trade paperback at BN for 14 dollars I think

Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

fforgnayr wrote:

Toni, if I remember right I saw Pandemonium in trade paperback at BN for 14 dollars I think

You are correct -- the book is in trade paper.

Carol

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Thanks Ryan,  I will check it out because when I called they said they only had it in Hardback.  I guess I will have to go in and look myself.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Contributor
Daryl-Gregory
0 Kudos

It should be $13 in the US, and $15 Canadian, and its only in Trade Paperback.

By the way, if any of you are in NYC or New Jersey, I'll be signing books at a B&N this Saturday, January 24, at 2pm. (details) The books cost the same, but I'll be able to thank you personally!

--d
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

See, not fair.  How come nobody ever comes to Wichita, KS?  Oh, yeah I answered my question just by asking it.  :smileywink:

Daryl-Gregory wrote:

By the way, if any of you are in NYC or New Jersey, I'll be signing books at a B&N this Saturday, January 24, at 2pm. (details) The books cost the same, but I'll be able to thank you personally!

--d

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

fforgnayr wrote:
See, not fair.  How come nobody ever comes to Wichita, KS?  Oh, yeah I answered my question just by asking it.  :smileywink:

Daryl-Gregory wrote:

--d

I am sorry Ryan. :smileysad:

Melissa

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

fforgnayr wrote:
See, not fair.  How come nobody ever comes to Wichita, KS?  Oh, yeah I answered my question just by asking it.  :smileywink

Ryan:

You may not get to meet D. Gregory in person but, hey, this is just as good, if not better! No waiting in line at the book signing; no $$$ wasted on gas, coffee, etc.; all you have to do is log on from the comfort of your own home and you've got your own cyber book signing – minus the signature, of course! And you have a bunch of people who want to discuss the book! (How was that for motivational?)   

Paul 

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Hmmmm....I don't know about that

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

fforgnayr wrote:
Hmmmm....I don't know about that

I had to at least try, Ryan!   :smileywink:

Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Don't know if anyone else has discovered this yet, but Tor has posted the first chapter of  Ken Scholes Lamentation on their website.

Here's the link, if you're interested in a preview:

http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=story&id=13311

AGN
Contributor
AGN
0 Kudos

Ahhh more books to add to my list!! I am getting behind