Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Lamentation: Pre-discussion

I have just started reading Lamentation, Actually, I'm listening to it. Thought maybe some of you who have started it might want have some pre-discussion.

On the trivia side, my Avatar now is the first chapter of Lamentation -- the destruction of Windwir. OK, I know it is supposed to be a sunrise but it sure looks like it fits.

Speaking of "fits", I was wondering where people might categorize this book as far as genre goes. It seems to be one of those stories that crosses the lines. Is it fantasy or specifically epic fantasy, or science fiction, or specifically apocalyptic, or even that "steampunk" stuff (Isaak reminds me a lot of Mattie)?
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: Lamentation: Pre-discussion

Nadine,

I'm sorry but even though I have read the book I am not going to start discussing before Paul starts the official thread next weekend and Ken is avalible to answer any questions.  I really don't want to spoil it for those that have not had the chance to get it yet.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Nadine
0 Kudos

Audio Version

I got the audio so I could fit in the reading at times when I couldn't read (like driving the car) and I am also still reading The Name of the Wind (for other times), but I am so drawn into this story that I find I can't put it down (ah, make that shut it off). I might as well be reading it. And I think I will get the book and do just that after I have finished the audio. I think this book deserves to be read.

When this audio first started I immediately thought it was going to be an acted audio with sound effects -- not my favorite kind of audio book. The first few lines of the Prelude were just about drowned out with the dramatic music. But that ended fairly quickly and it settled into my favorite kind of book audio, one that is simply well read. The Audio has four narrators, one for each of the four pivotal characters telling their story -- Rudolfo, Petronous, Jin Li, and Neb. The audio does help you concentrate on each and every word of the story and the four narrations are well done so there is a lot of merit to the audio version (which is unabridged).

So I'm giving lots of Laurels to the book, even though I haven't finished it, and Laurels to the audio version as well. If you are debating over whether the audio is good (and you rarely see any comments on audio versions) and whether you should invest the big bucks into it, I would say go for it. It is well done. If you are debating over whether you should be investing the big bucks into the book itself, I would say yes -- this is a winner and one that could be enjoyed by readers not interested in these types of books. It is a story well told and well written.
Nadine
0 Kudos
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

I think we shouldn't get into specifics or any deep thematic discussions before Ken gets here – that's half the fun about having an author visit – but it could be a good idea to "prime the pump" a little to get those who haven't read Lamentation yet interested...

I loved this book – and easily one of the best fantasy novels I've read in the last decade. That said, as the novel progresses, the reader slowly begins to realize that – hey! – this may not be fantasy at all but science fiction! That genre blending, I thought, was absolutely brilliant.

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: Lamentation: Pre-discussion - Audio

I might add a little addemdum to my audio post. If you are trying to decide between reading the book OR listening to the audio version, go with the book. This is a fast-paced story and you you are going to want to get through the story a lot faster than the 15 hours it takes to listen to the audio.

I noticed in the video they showed a map of the Named Lands. I love maps and I will be ordering the book online. Can anyone tell me if there is a map in the book? It would mean that I want the book sooner rather than later.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Lamentation: Pre-discussion - Audio

Nadine wrote:

I might add a little addemdum to my audio post. If you are trying to decide between reading the book OR listening to the audio version, go with the book. This is a fast-paced story and you you are going to want to get through the story a lot faster than the 15 hours it takes to listen to the audio.

I noticed in the video they showed a map of the Named Lands. I love maps and I will be ordering the book online. Can anyone tell me if there is a map in the book? It would mean that I want the book sooner rather than later.

Oh wow. Couldn't imagine listening to anything for 15 hours. Really?

Nadine
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Nadine wrote:

Oh wow. Couldn't imagine listening to anything for 15 hours. Really?

Ya, I really wish I had gone with the book. I do a lot of things during the day that require my hands but not my brain, so I thought this was a good way to fit it in. But this is more a page turner type and I can't turn the page! So I find myself falling asleep in the wee hours of the morning still moving along at the narrator's pace. I'm tempted to make the trip into town and buy the book at shelf price! But I also want to get through Name of the Wind which is a slower, unfolding story but one that is really building my curiosity and I have been reading that during the times when I can hold a book.

Actually, I am surprised that they did an audio of Lamentation. That is a very expensive project and not all that many books get an audio issued at the same time as the book, especially an untested new book. So someone really think this book has great selling potential.

One nice thing I have noted, the series is on a reasonable publication schedule. No waiting for the next one in maybe years. The five are all planned out and titled and the expected publication schedule is about every six months. The second is finished and should be published in October of this year.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Nadine,

There is a small map just inside the front of the book.  Not on the inside of the cover but a couple of pages in.  And it is pretty well done.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care