Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen

Laurels

Okay, I know I'm going to get this question alot in the upcoming days so here is what "laurels" are and how they work:

Laurels – the new green buttons that you see on the right side of every message - are a way of showing your appreciation for a post that you’ve read here on the Book Clubs.   Did someone say something that you think is insightful, funny, or profound; something that made you look at a book in a new way, or helped you learn something?  Simply click on the green button to reward that post with laurels.  Getting laurels from other users – and giving them out yourself – contributes to your rank here at the Book Clubs and will eventually grant you the ability to give larger numbers of laurels – as well as access to special features.

By the way, feel free to laurel up your favorite moderator... :smileywink:

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine

Re: Laurels

Ah, but you can be the king/queen maker! You can give two laurels to the same post! The trick, though, is to please the administrators (those wonderful, hard working, creative souls), they can give three at a time!  Just a bit of added knowledge. Click on the top of the Laurel icon where the laurel total is to see who loves you!

paulgoatallen wrote:

Okay, I know I'm going to get this question alot in the upcoming days so here is what "laurels" are and how they work:

Laurels – the new green buttons that you see on the right side of every message - are a way of showing your appreciation for a post that you’ve read here on the Book Clubs.   Did someone say something that you think is insightful, funny, or profound; something that made you look at a book in a new way, or helped you learn something?  Simply click on the green button to reward that post with laurels.  Getting laurels from other users – and giving them out yourself – contributes to your rank here at the Book Clubs and will eventually grant you the ability to give larger numbers of laurels – as well as access to special features.

By the way, feel free to laurel up your favorite moderator... :smileywink:

Paul

paulgoatallen

Nadine – and everyone else – what do you think about this laurel concept? Do you like it? Hate it? I'm very curious to get your feedback!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Contributor
gegarland

I can see giving Laurels for something insightful, but shouldn't funny stuff be given Hardys?

Alive, occupying space, and exerting gravitational force
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

gegarland wrote:

I can see giving Laurels for something insightful, but shouldn't funny stuff be given Hardys?

Wow. I actually laughed out loud at that one!

Paul 

Inspired Contributor
WilliamWright

hi,

my laurels went up but i don't know why or for which post, how do i find the laurelled post?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/William-Wright/24440816210
dalnewt

paulgoatallen wrote:

Nadine – and everyone else – what do you think about this laurel concept? Do you like it? Hate it? I'm very curious to get your feedback!

Paul 

It's positive reinforcement for posting which is something that B&N should desire on its in-house book club boards. On the other hand, it can be sort of disheartening to the occasional poster who hardly ever gets a laurel as well as alienating others when they see favored members receiving the lions share of laurels. Even worse, some may be alienated when they perceive swapping of laurels between members friendly with each other (or each other views) where the actual post doesn't add to discussion in terms of substance or humor. But, I don't see any alternative.

The bottom line is that other than the somewhat vague classification system, (contributor, correspondent, etc...), laurels are the only positive reinforcement B&N has to offer its club members for posting their thoughts. 

dalnewt

WilliamWright wrote:

hi,

my laurels went up but i don't know why or for which post, how do i find the laurelled post?

William,

I don't know any shortcut to determine which posts have received laurels. The only method I am currently aware of is to click on your pen name on any of the boards. That will lead you to your stats page with your most recent five posts showing near the bottom. Then, click on the View All at the very bottom right of that page. That will lead you to a list of your posts arranged chronologically. (Sometimes there are multiple pages of posts.) At that point, you can click on each one of your previous posts to determine which ones received laurel(s). 

Inspired Contributor
WilliamWright
0 Kudos

thanks, i have tried the 'check every post' route, but alas still can't spot it...

ah, well, somebody liked something i said, that's enough :smileyhappy:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/William-Wright/24440816210
Frequent Contributor
Gnomadic

*choking on coffee* Cute post!

I think Laurels are a nice touch but agree that some members may feel "left out of the loop".  There are pros and cons to everything however, it just makes us new people have to participate more and try to be as charming as possible :smileyvery-happy:

When you find yourself falling into the seas of madness, DIVE!
Nadine

[ Edited ]

Gnomadic wrote:

I think Laurels are a nice touch but agree that some members may feel "left out of the loop".  There are pros and cons to everything however, it just makes us new people have to participate more and try to be as charming as possible :smileyvery-happy:

You've got the hang of it! And you should be especially nice to the ones that can give out large numbers of laurels! :smileywink:

Distinguished Correspondent
SPCAT

Nadine wrote:

Gnomadic wrote:

You've got the hang of it! And you should be especially nice to the ones that can give out large numbers of laurels! :smileywink:

I really like then and you all are correct so I will try to be as charming as possible  and I will bow to people with experience and  be specially nice to the ones with power.

" I will not be triumphed over " - Cleopatra
Bibliophile
Melhay

I have enjoyed the Laurels idea.  It helps me see what others like.  I try to give helpful information all the time, on books, authors, and discussions.

I can see where new comers could be discouraging.  But it isn't really.  I try to share the love when I see their great comments. 

I have noticed that there are a few boards that don't take advantage of the Laurels as much as we do here.  Now, I haven't been around to all the boards but there are a few which use them greatly and others not so much.

I enjoy them, and when you get a great book discussion going they seem to go around wonderfully.  Letting everyone know we are enjoying the ideas, even if we may see a different view.  It shows we don't oppose the thought, but that we all see different sides and respect each others thoughts.

Melissa

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Bibliophile
Melhay

SPCAT wrote:

Nadine wrote:

Gnomadic wrote:

I really like then and you all are correct so I will try to be as charming as possible  and I will bow to people with experience and  be specially nice to the ones with power.

SPCat,

No need to bow.  Just be charming, have fun, and as always kind.  Kindness is the one thing we all try to strive for.  :smileyhappy:  And I have to say, I have not had any troubles here, everyone has been very kind to me.

Great to meet you and hope you enjoy the boards.

Melissa

Distinguished Correspondent
SPCAT

Melhay wrote:

SPCAT wrote:

Nadine wrote:

Gnomadic wrote:

SPCat,

No need to bow.  Just be charming, have fun, and as always kind.  Kindness is the one thing we all try to strive for.  :smileyhappy:  And I have to say, I have not had any troubles here, everyone has been very kind to me.

Melissa

It is a pleasure to meet you and thank you for your  kindness and to welcome me to the boards so far it's been a wonderful experience and I enjoy every comment and ideas I have come across there's nothing more exciting than to share ideas and knowledge with other people once again thank you.

" I will not be triumphed over " - Cleopatra
TiggerBear

Nadine wrote:

Gnomadic wrote:

(chuckles shaking head) Shameless self promotion that.:smileytongue:

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

SPCAT wrote:

Melhay wrote:

SPCAT wrote:

Nadine wrote:

Gnomadic wrote:

SPCat,

Melissa

It is a pleasure to meet you and thank you for your  kindness and to welcome me to the boards so far it's been a wonderful experience and I enjoy every comment and ideas I have come across there's nothing more exciting than to share ideas and knowledge with other people once again thank you.

You are welcome! :smileyhappy: And glad to hear you are enjoying yourself here.  I have to say it can be very addicting.  As I have learned.  But look forward to chatting with you here in the forum threads.

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

gegarland wrote:

LOL!!  :smileyvery-happy:  Totally deserves a Hardy -- can't believe you only have four so far!  Will try to give you one now!