Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Light Summer Reads

I am looking for suggestions of light reading for this summer.  I don't want any big heavy reading book just something I can relax with after I get homework done.  Two books that I have on my list are Duainfey and Longeye by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller.  If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.  Thanks a lot.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Inspired Contributor
gegarland
0 Kudos

Re: Light Summer Reads

Nelsmom wrote:

I am looking for suggestions of light reading for this summer.  I don't want any big heavy reading book just something I can relax with after I get homework done.  Two books that I have on my list are Duainfey and Longeye by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller.  If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.  Thanks a lot.

Toni

Not sci-fi but sci: Rare Earth  

IMHO, one of the greatest books of "popular science" (the term does _not_ do the book justice) that has ever been written.

Alive, occupying space, and exerting gravitational force
Contributor
Wilshire
0 Kudos

A few books that I got into:

The Dritz Books, Dark Warrior Rising, Dark Vengince, Night Angle, The Crimson Sword

I can name more if you need.  Enjoy.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Thanks Chris but I have read all of those.  I guess that I ought to list the authors that I have read all of their works such as Anne McCaffrey, David Eddings, Mercedes Lackey, Raymond E. Feist, R.A. Salvatore, Robin Hobbs, Piers Anthony, Andre Norton, David Weber, David Drake and Jennifer Roberson.  So if anyone can give me some new authors that write light or humours books I would greatly appreciate that.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Contributor
Wilshire

Wow.  You have quite a list.  This is something I should have expected on a SciFi forum; but something that I am not used to.  Where I am from, I have more and better books than the local library.  But, it sounds like you have bested me by a shoot.

Have you tried the Dragonlance Chronicals, or Percy Jackson and the Olympians, or the Death Gate Cycle, or the Bartimaeus Trilogy.

Other than that I am all out.

Inspired Contributor
gegarland

Nelsmom wrote:

Thanks Chris but I have read all of those.  I guess that I ought to list the authors that I have read all of their works such as Anne McCaffrey, David Eddings, Mercedes Lackey, Raymond E. Feist, R.A. Salvatore, Robin Hobbs, Piers Anthony, Andre Norton, David Weber, David Drake and Jennifer Roberson.  So if anyone can give me some new authors that write light or humours books I would greatly appreciate that.

You didn't mention Glen Cook; his Garret P.I. series, is being re-released. The first being Sweet Silver Blues . A. Lee Martinez and John Zakour might also be worth a look.

Alive, occupying space, and exerting gravitational force
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

That is good to know. I have the first three (Brad had to help me figure out the order, it is not to be found on the cover). Good to know that I will be able to find the others in the series when I am ready.

gegarland wrote:

You didn't mention Glen Cook; his Garret P.I. series, is being re-released.

PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Toni:

Strangely enough, this summer has quite a few "deep" and "dark" reads – lots of apocalpyse and dystopia...  I'm still looking for a perfect light read you, though!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
MJS74
0 Kudos

JIM BUTCHER has two good series in THE DRESDEN FILES and THE CODEX ALERA. i enjoy both, most know about dresden files  but i think  CODEX ALERA is better.especially for fantasy fans. if you want some  s.f. try JOHN RINGO's  INTO THE LOOKING GLASS. you say you've read all of DAVID WEBER BOOKS, have you got the series he did with JOHN RINGO? i think it started with MARCH UPCOUNTRY. their was 4 books in the series. he also did a series with STEVE WHITE that was very good, it started with INSURRECTION. i think their was 6 or 7 books in that one. if you want something light try J. D. ROBB 'S IN DEATH series, it's not really S.F. it's more of a murder mystery that takes place in the future.
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Toni,

John Moore - "Bad Prince Charlie" and "Heroics for Beginners" are light and very funny. Any A. Lee Martinez is good stuff too. I know there is a new RCN, David Drake out there, you polish that off already?!

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Not yet the library is being a little slow getting a copy of it.  They say it should be ready for check out soon.  I will have to look and see if they have any of the Martinez books.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:

Not yet the library is being a little slow getting a copy of it.  They say it should be ready for check out soon.  I will have to look and see if they have any of the Martinez books.

Toni

For Martinez, my fave so far is "Gil's All Fright Diner". "Automatic Detective" was real good also. I haven't gotten to the RCN book either. I'm a little poor at the moment and hardcovers are tough to swallow. I need to go the library route as well.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
New User
storyguy
0 Kudos

Say Nelsmom... saw you're looking for a book that's "just something I can relax with..." I just finished a novel you can get on Barnes&Noble. It's a Sci-Fi book for folks who aren't sure about Sci-Fi... neat characters and adventure. It's called "D.S.E.V." and has been said to be "a great light beach read." Love to hear if you like it. Good luck on your search.

Pat Corbitt

D.S.E.V.

Inspired Scribe
djaq

percy jackson and the olympians are great!

and here there be dragons by james a owen is a fantastic book! a great quick read! also, it is book one in a series, and the 4th book comes out in the fall i think..but they are really great books! i cant really think of any others at the moment, but if any others come to mind ill keep you posted 

"We could do pizza."
Sandikal
0 Kudos

I see that someone beat me to Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files series.  I do my best to avoid series, but I read the first one for a GoodReads group last year and decided to give the second one a shot a month or two ago.  I'm now totally hooked.  They're really quick, easy reads.  That's what I look for in a summer book. 

If you haven't read anything by Sharon Shinn, you might check out her Samaria series.  It's very girly and romantic science fiction that seems more like fantasy.   It's perfect for reading on the beach.

Contributor
qwertbook82
0 Kudos

If you want light and humerous: Terry Pratchett. Discworld books are the funniest books I have ever read, but they also are interesting
Inspired Wordsmith
lilithesque
0 Kudos

One book I read recently that I would call light, not cause its really funny, rather its  kind of space romp with romance is

Grimspace 

I am planning to read the sequel:   

Wanderlust 

And this newer book looks good too and got good buzz on a nother site I wander in.  I will be reading it. 

Blue Diablo  
Dude, Where's my book!