Contributor
BevGB
0 Kudos

Looking for a good fantasy series (no romance novels)

I've been looking for a good fantasy series to read but seems like every one I think I might like ends up being a romance novel. I hate romance novels. Can anyone suggest some to me?

I've been considering these. Can anyone tell me if they are romance novels?

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs

Minon by L A Banks

Bitten by Kelly Armstrong

Gulity Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: Looking for a good fantasy series (no romance novels)

BevGB,

All of those books are considered Paranormal/Urban Fantasy books and do have some romance but that is not the main focus of the books.  I think that you are going to be hard pressed to find many fantasy books that don't blend other genre's into the story.  Some fantasy authors that I can reccommend if you haven't already read them are Jennifer Roberson's Del and Tiger series starts with Sword-Dancer, Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy that starts with Assassin Apprentice, Juliet E. McKenna's series that starts with Thief's Gamble.  Hope that helps you.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I like Kelly Armstrong's Bitten and while there is so romance in their it's the the crux of the book.

If you like fantasy I would suggest:

The Finovar Tapestry trilogy by Guy Gavriel Kay

any of the Valdemar books by Mercedes Lackey

The Shannara series by Terry Brooks, starting with The Sword of Shannara

The Belgariad/The Mallorean/The Elenium/The Talumi series by David Eddings

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

BevGB wrote:

I've been considering these. Can anyone tell me if they are romance novels?

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs

Minon by L A Banks

Bitten by Kelly Armstrong

Gulity Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton

Bev:

Yes, Toni is right – these are all paranormal fantasy novels – and quite good ones, I might add. Although paranormal fantasy does sometimes utilize elements of romance, it blends it all together with fantasy, mystery, horror, etc. That's why this category – paranormal fantasy – is so phenomenally popular right now: there's literally something for every genre fiction fan. If you or anyone is interested in this type of genre-hybrid read, please check out the Paranormal Fantasy forum – you'll be blown away by all of the releases that are considered paranormal fantasy...

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky