Frequent Contributor
tfadams
0 Kudos

Looking for more alternate History and time travel adventures:

Worldwar  

I have been reading Harry Harrison, S.M.; stirling and Harry turtledove looking for more any ideas.?

currently reading:
1) The red pyramid by rick riordan

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Re: Looking for more alternate History and time travel adventures:

[ Edited ]

More of a Steampunk vs. Turn of century vs. zombies. But definate Alternate History! And is pretty entertaining. As the gal that wrote it is in the process of a movie made based on it.
"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Frequent Contributor
tfadams
0 Kudos

Dead Iron  I've added that series to wish list. all so noticed Devon Monk.

currently reading:

Frequent Contributor
tfadams
0 Kudos

Pax Britannia  all so just found.

currently reading:

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright

For me, the crown jewel of the alt.history genre:

The Man in the High Castle  

Frequent Contributor
tfadams
0 Kudos

THERE soppossed to be making that into a movie not sure who's doing it.

currently reading:

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC

[ Edited ]

Doomsday Book 

To Say Nothing of the Dog 

All Clear 

Blackout    

I think the Oxford Time Travel series by Connie Willis looks interesting, although I haven't actually read any of them yet.  To see if you like the series, you can read the free novelette "Fire Watch" by going to this link: http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/firewatch.htm.  A blog post on the tor.com website indicates that "Fire Watch" was a Hugo and a Nebula award winner.  The B&N links to the rest of the books in the series appear above.

New User
compubuff
0 Kudos

If you want to read something new and interesting by a relatively unknown author, try rreading Time Passport by Peter G. Engelman. Engelman is a retired CPA who began writing in 2001. He has written over 8 titles and this Sci-Fi adventure is his longest project (218 pp). Look inside the book on BN and explore the first three chapters which gives you an insight as to the story line.  There are only a few reviews but everyone who has read it has had only positive remarks. I happen to love sea adventure and this book takes place in the Bermunda Triangle where anything paranormal is known to happen and does in this quick read with a twist that really gets you thinking.

Frequent Contributor
infael
0 Kudos

Weapons of Choice (Axis of Time Trilogy #1), Vol. 1  

Loved the Axis trilogy! A 22nd century (or thereabouts) naval fleet gets thrown back in time to WW2 and changes the course of things.

Frequent Contributor
tfadams
0 Kudos

Seventh Son (Alvin Maker Series #1) 

found this series and there all on the nook. 

currently reading:

New User
Michael_J_Sullivan
0 Kudos

I'll add my "seconds" to the Connie Willis books. I think they would be right up your alley.

If you ever want to watch a terrific time travel movie - checkout 12 Monkeys with Bruce Willis and a surprisingly good character created by Brad Pitt.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Supervolcano 

11/22/63   

here's a couple more alternate histories that were really good

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58

BrandieC wrote:

Doomsday Book 

To Say Nothing of the Dog 

All Clear 

Blackout    

I think the Oxford Time Travel series by Connie Willis looks interesting, although I haven't actually read any of them yet.  To see if you like the series, you can read the free novelette "Fire Watch" by going to this link: http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/firewatch.htm.  A blog post on the tor.com website indicates that "Fire Watch" was a Hugo and a Nebula award winner.  The B&N links to the rest of the books in the series appear above.

Connie Willis is a meticulous researcher, so her books about time travel are very believable.  She has a tendency to build suspense slowly, and some readers are turned off by this writing style, but I thoroughly enjoy her books.

If you read "All Clear," be sure to read "Blackout" first because the two books are really one story.  Also, be prepared to experience gut-wrenching emotion in "Dooms Day Book" and "All Clear."  Willis really knows how to write, and her version of how time travel would be handled if it were ever to be invented is quite plausible. 

Contributor
Seraphim-san
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Galileo's Dream  

Description: The winner of every major science fiction award, Kim Stanley Robinson is a novelist who looks ahead with optimism even while acknowledging the steep challenges facing our planet and species: a clear-eyed realist who has not forgotten how to dream. His new novel offers his most audacious dream yet. At the heart of a brilliant narrative that stretches from Renaissance Italy to the moons of Jupiter is one man, the father of modern science: Galileo Galilei.

To the inhabitants of the Jovian moons, Galileo is a revered figure whose actions will influence the subsequent history of the human race. From the summit of their distant future, a charismatic renegade named Ganymede travels to the past to bring Galileo forward in an attempt to alter history and ensure the ascendancy of science over religion. And if that means Galileo must be burned at the stake, so be it.

Yet between his brief and jarring visitations to this future, Galileo must struggle against the ignorance and superstition of his own time. And it is here that Robinson is at his most brilliant, showing Galileo in all his contradictions and complexity. Robinson's Galileo is a tour de force of imaginative and historical empathy: the shining center around which the novel revolves.  

From Galileo's heresy trial to the politics of far-future Jupiter, from the canals of Venice to frozen, mysterious Europa, Robinson illuminates the parallels between a distant past and an even more remote future—in the process celebrating the human spirit and calling into question the convenient truths of our own moment in time.  

New User
ScottWard
0 Kudos

OPERATION HERKULES  

"OPERATION HERKULES" Book 1 of the new "Malta Fulcrum Alternate History Series" deals with the island of Malta in the Mediterranean during WW2

Frequent Contributor
cebj25
0 Kudos

New Frontier (speculative fiction, alt history)  $3.99

In this speculative fiction novel, what-if Ronald Reagan became President in 1976 instead? He continues with the moon landings, and declares that a moon base would be established by 1979, followed by a Mars Base by 1989. The Soviets decide to up the ante by building an interstellar starship, and send it on its way as the US establishes a permanent presence on the Moon. The US builds a space station, followed by a base on Mars, that will eventually be turned into a colony.

The rest of Earth follows the original timeline, so terrorism rears its ugly head, which will forever change American politics. Iran and its attempt at taking hostages is taken care of in 1979, but a new threat emerges because of it. The new POTUS has to pursue these enemies of the US to secure America's future. We follow America's progress from Moon to Mars, along with the Teacher in Space Program, to an eventual starship mission out of the solar system, which will continue in book two.

Voyager and the Aliens  short science fiction story $.99

In this short story, aliens come across television broadcasts from an unknown planet to them. Then, they come across a probe from same planet that tells them everything they need to know about this planet and its people. They decide to visit the planet, but when they arrive, not everything is as it seems.

Don't Mess With Earth  $2.99 alt history/historical fiction

Some humans leave Earth when a massive flood threatens the planet. Eventually they return to manipulate human history. An alien species follows them, and experiments on the humans. Eventually, the humans of Earth discover this, and President Truman sets the planet on a path that will forever change history.

Out of Time  a time travel novella for $.99

In the 2150's, Dr. John Hawking, who is an almost exact clone of the famous 20th/21st century scientist, Stephen Hawking, discovers time is actually fluid; past, present, and future all exist at the same time. What he doesn't know, is if the current timeline can change when something is changed in the past. The US government wants him to find out. The theme being to make right what once went wrong.

Hawking's invention only works with a spaceship, so one is renamed the USS Albert Einstein, and he goes on time travel adventures with military members assigned to the ship. They go back to Wounded Knee in 1890, the Titanic in 1912, Anne Frank and her family in 1940, President Kennedy in 1963, and various NASA spacecraft from 1970 to 1986.