Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
Kazia0002
0 Kudos

Looking for specific fantasy books...

Ok, I know it's kind of unusual, but I would like to read something like a heroic fantasy with political subplot.

Like, Song of Lioness, or Green Rider.

I don't really like George Martin books, mainly because he introduces kinda too big cast of characters too quickly to my liking, and during his first book I felt lost soo annoyingly often that I gave up on it.

I don't really like overpowered characters, like Richard in the Sword of Truth series - the main idea in some books that he just KNEW things all of sudden was stupid. But I liked the world Goodkin described. Or, even worse, the main character of Elizabeth Haydon books - she was just too much!!!

I don't enjoy pariodies too much, although I did read Discworld series by Pratchett, and some of Wrede Patrichia books, and I think she sucks at describing romance.

I did read Tolkien's books, and enjoyed them. Also I did read Tad Williams Thorn... sth trilogy (who calls 4 books a trilogy, by the way?), and also liked them.

I think I'm a fan of epic fantasy, AND I definitely hate it when characters from modern times are thrown into fantasy worlds.

I know that the description of things I'm looking for isn't all that accurate, but I hope I narrowed it down a bit?

Can I ask for suggestions?

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

Re: Looking for specific fantasy books...

[ Edited ]

Off the top of my head I can't think of a better book to recommend to you, given your parameters, than 

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (Inheritance Series #1). Note, if you're a guy though, this might not be the book for you. It's written from a woman's perspective. Also note I didn't enjoy the second book in this trilogy, The Broken Kingdoms (Inheritance Series #2), as much as the first. But it was still an enjoyable read.

I also love Ken Scholes Psalms of Isaak series that begins with

Lamentation. It's not really a conspiracy plot except in terms of a blood wizard's plot that might be over a thousand years old. The books in the series have multiple plot threads/perspectives and follow certain key male and female characters. But, there's not too many of them. The story-arc is really one big puzzle/mystery concerning the resurgence of a sadistic 'blood' magic cult, and its impact on basically a horse-powered world. The world building is jaw dropping. The world is quasi medieval but has a steampunk element with wondrous mechanicals from an earlier age. The magic is mysterious and, at times, very sadistic.  

You might also enjoy

The Black Prism (Lightbringer Series #1). The main characters are fresh, surprising and completely entertaining. The story-arc is kind of a convoluted conspiracy involving the head of an order of magic users. Further, the light based magic is very entertaining. The book is set in a quasi late-medieval world of jostling and trading satrapies. This is the first book in this brand new series.

I also read and loved

The Bone Palace. There's conspiracy, blood magic, necromancy, a haunted but vibrant capital city, and really well-developed characters. The books basically follow the experiences of two characters, both with female personas. So again, if you're a guy, you might not be comfortable with the feminine perspective. Note, it's the author's second book, but it's a completely self-contained read.

That's all I can think of right now in terms of conspiracy-like plots.    

P.S. I just read your post in the introduction thread. I'm glad you're a woman because all of the above should appeal to you. I apologize for assuming you might be a guy, but your handle could go either way although it is more feminine than masculine. 

P.P.S. The fourth Green Rider book came out this February. I understand it's been four years in the making. Here's the link: 

Blackveil (Green Rider Series #4) 

New User
KatnissE

Two series come to mind that may be what you are looking for. 

Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game, book 1 in the series.  I would recommend this to everyone, my entire family loved it.  SciFi and a bit political with a great lead character. 

Second is Suzanne Collins, Hunger Games, book 1 in the HG series.  My husband couldn't get into this, mostly because it is from the perspective of a teen girl and it is written first person present tense (that took a bit of getting used to).  However, I'm in my 40s and loved this series.  Again, scifi and a surprising amount of politics for a YA.  Don't be put off by YA, all this means is it lacks graphic sex.  Enjoy

Contributor
recon1-1
0 Kudos

Daughter of The Blood (Black Jewels Series #1)  Hi there . This series is very off the beaten path - but it just might be what you are looking for . I have read four or five of this series and after you get your brain around it it is VERY good. Read and pay attention to the notes about names is the only other advice I can give you. Hope this is of help.

Distinguished Correspondent
SPCAT
0 Kudos

I really think you'll like this two series. They're exactly what you ask for fantasy with a political plot. I really enjoy them and highly recommend them.

Dragon Prince (Dragon Prince Series #1) 

Stronghold (Dragon Star Series #1)  

" I will not be triumphed over " - Cleopatra
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

SPCAT wrote:

I really think you'll like this two series. They're exactly what you ask for fantasy with a political plot. I really enjoy them and highly recommend them.

Dragon Prince (Dragon Prince Series #1) 

Stronghold (Dragon Star Series #1)  

The Dragon Prince series is one of my favorite series ever!  Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy the Dragon Star series nearly as much.  It was one of those times when I beacame too attached to the first set of characters so found the next generation annoying.  :smileywink:

Contributor
Baycat57
0 Kudos

If you haven't tried any of Mercedes Lackey's Herald series, especially the earlier ones, you should. Ditto Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders. Both are older series that hold up really well. Try Katherine Kurtz, too.  All three writers are personal favorites.

And *grin* you can also try one or two of mine. Song of the Fairy Queen might do it...

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Song-of-the-Fairy-Queen/Valerie-Douglas/e/2940011835223/?itm=1&USRI...

Valerie Douglas

Author of
Song of the Fairy Queen
Heart of the Gods
New User
Greyhawk
0 Kudos

Your post got the grey matter working! My first thought was Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy (and follow up series) if you like your political intrigue to be the castles and kings variety. Also, an obvious one, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Only Tolkien gets much more epic than that (in my humble opinion) and those female Aes Sedai are about as political a bunch as I've ever read about. Small point of order, Tad Williams' Memory etc. series WAS a trilogy, he just wrote such a fat third book that the publishers couldn't fit it into one cover! Happy hunting. Love looking for new series myself.
New User
MountainLight
0 Kudos

I second the Ender's Game series - one of the best, by far! He has a number of other books and series out that are excellent as well, but nothing quite so political.

Also, Janny Wurts "The Wars of Light & Shadow" series might fit the bill. It's been a long time, but I remember really enjoying them.

My favorite read lately that might also fit your requirements is "Escaping Destiny", by Jeffrey Pierce. Not so much political as social commentary; it is fitting for the current state of our world - and VERY well-written. 

What about the political aspect interests you, if I might ask?  :smileyhappy:

~ Briana

New User
Amahel
0 Kudos

I applaud the Black Jewels Trilogy recommend, and Melanie Rawn; both are some of my favorites. I'm also currently digging Kristin Britain. But if you want more of the political/intrigue themes, you could try A Song for Arbonne by Guy Gavriel Kay, David & Leigh Edding's 

The Belgariad, Volume 1  series or The Redemption of Althalus. If you don't mind some sex in the plot, my all-time favorite is Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel series (starts with

Kushiel's Dart (Kushiel's Legacy Series #1). And finally, Sharon Green has an older series called the Blending--Convergence (Blending Series #1)  that I think would be exactly what you're looking for.

Contributor
wetair
0 Kudos

I second Robin Hobb's Farseer series and also her Tawny Man series. I also second Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel series. And Anne Bishop's Black Jewels series is excellent. You might also like Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles. Also, The Winds of Khalakovo by Bradley P. Beaulieu. Plus, Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series.

http://storytreasury.wordpress.com/
Frequent Contributor
infael
0 Kudos

Medalon  Jennifer Fallon's Hythrun Chronicles books are great and have a political subplot. You'll need to read all the books right away, as you'll easily get lost if you start the next book a while after finishing the previous book.

Simon Green's Deathstalker books (for me) were truly AWESOME!

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

@Amahel:

I would second the Blending Series (Convergence, etc.)

Just be warned: it had, I felt, strong elements of romance/relationships/non-graphic sexuality that tipped it slightly over the line into romance territory. Not that I don't like a good romance novel once in awhile, but if that's not your preference, I'd steer clear.

Distinguished Correspondent
Whisperlynn
0 Kudos

This might be a stretch but look into "A Star Shall Fall" by Marie Brennan, high fantasy with really quirky characters.