Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms: Pages 239-302

[ Edited ]

Melhay wrote:

When ever you all are ready, I am through section 3.  I could not stop myself here today.  I got through the whole part.  And I would love to keep going.  I have to know what happens!

We have not got to the ritual yet and I want to read that, and know where it all goes.

I'm about halfway into the next section, And Wow! What a horrible group of people these Arameri are -- at least the highborns. Well, Nora did say she was not going to flinch on the cruelty aspect of this story!

We are really learning about more pieces of the puzzle and I think this section is going to effect most of our thoughts so far. I too am having difficulty putting it down.

Go ahead and start posting under this thread header. I'll try to finish up by tomorrow. The next section is only about 60 pages.

I found Nora's statement about the cruelty scenes from an interview so I'll just slip it in here:

=========================================

> What was the hardest scene for you to write?

A scene in which a character is tortured. There are actually several such scenes in THE HUNDRED THOUSAND KINGDOMS -- consider this fair warning – and I don't stint on describing them because I want to convey just how horrible this act is. But writing those scenes required me to go into a very dark place, and I didn't like being there.

pen21

The biggest surprise for me in this section was about Kurue. On page 290 Yeine is looking for Nahadoths quarters. As she rounds a curve she sees

"a woman, bronze-skinned and silver-haired, almost as tall as Zhakkarn and sternly beautiful, kneeling in the corridor as if to pray. The light had come from the wings on her back, covered in mirror-bright feathers of overlapping precious metals. I had seen her once before, this woman, in a dream---" But then she sees in that spot Kurue as heavyset. Why is Kurue hiding behind this old lady facade if she is this tall creature with wings? I still feel we have a lot to learn about Kurue.

Luanne

pen21

Now I am wondering if Kinnith married Yeine's father out of revenge. Was she so angry with Dekarta? If Kinnith was at all close with her mother, I can understand her need for revenge. But there has been no indication that they were an unhappy couple. Kinnith bargained for her husband's life and let them put Enefa's soul into her unborn child. That indicates a strong attachment to me. I am wondering what else drove Kinnith to marry and to change her personality so drastically. So was Kinnith hiding her good side all while growing up? Also has anyone heard the name of Yeine's father? Did I miss that?

Luanne

Author
NKJemisin

Wow, I skip out for a day and you guys blow up the board.  2 new pages in 24 hours!  Lovely to see how much fun you're all having.

Still just watching; busy working on book 3 today, so not doing much internet stuff. Also, I did an in-person interview yesterday on the radio station WBAI, their "Hour of the Wolf" science fiction radio show.  The show is 2 hours long, and starts off with about 20 minutes of music, and it's only available as a stream, not as a downloadable thing.  It was fun, though, and might be of interest to you.  Since it was at 5 in the morning and I stayed up all night to do the show, I spent most of yesterday sleeping. -_-  Anyway, if you guys are interested, feel free to listen here (scroll down to "Hour of the Wolf"): http://archive.wbai.org/

Nora

Nadine

pen21 wrote:

The biggest surprise for me in this section was about Kurue. On page 290 Yeine is looking for Nahadoths quarters. As she rounds a curve she sees

"a woman, bronze-skinned and silver-haired, almost as tall as Zhakkarn and sternly beautiful, kneeling in the corridor as if to pray. The light had come from the wings on her back, covered in mirror-bright feathers of overlapping precious metals. I had seen her once before, this woman, in a dream---" But then she sees in that spot Kurue as heavyset. Why is Kurue hiding behind this old lady facade if she is this tall creature with wings? I still feel we have a lot to learn about Kurue.

Luanne

Yes, and this adds some weight to the possible prophetic nature of Yeine's dreams. This is Yeine description of Kurue from her dream:

Page 51:

She is sternly beautiful: her hair is the color of bronze, and a pair of enormous wings feathered in gold, silver, and platinum are folded on her back. Kurue, called the Wise.

======================================

This dream has got to have some important significance.

Nadine

pen21 wrote:

Now I am wondering if Kinnith married Yeine's father out of revenge. Was she so angry with Dekarta? If Kinnith was at all close with her mother, I can understand her need for revenge. But there has been no indication that they were an unhappy couple. Kinnith bargained for her husband's life and let them put Enefa's soul into her unborn child. That indicates a strong attachment to me. I am wondering what else drove Kinnith to marry and to change her personality so drastically. So was Kinnith hiding her good side all while growing up? Also has anyone heard the name of Yeine's father? Did I miss that?

Luanne

I don't think we know the name of Yeine's father. This might be deliberate. In fact I am wondering if this person is Yeine's father. As a long shot, I am wondering ir Yeine's father could be Viraine. The only thing discouraging me from that theory is that Yeine definitely has Darr DNA.

It is so hard to know who to believe. I was starting to trust Nahadoth and by the end of this section started to think he was the only one Yeine could trust for the truth. But as I think on it, he too has an agenda, all the gods do. So I've decided not to "fall" for his version of the story either.

Kinneth also has me totally bewildered. She is like two different people since everyone seems to think of her differently. Hey, will the REAL Kinneth please stand up! :smileyhappy:

Nadine

OK, I think I'm a bit confused on this succession. From what I understand the person who wins the non-throne has to prove his or her ruthlessness by sacrificing someone he or she loves. Now as far as I can tell Yeine is considered disposable by virtually everyone. So no one would be much bothered by her death. Scimina is certainly ruthless (and we finally get a taste of that) but who could she find to sacrifice that would fulfill that requirement? So far Relad is a no show in all of this but he is there for a reason. I suspect he will pick up in importance shortly.

Now Arameri knows more than he has let on. He actually showed a tad bit of warmth toward Yeine. He was the one who decided to bring her back and make her an heir. Why

Nadine

[ Edited ]

Yeine is telling this story from and informed future perspective. She already knows how things turn out and has been dropping clues all over the place, mainly in the first few chapters. Like take the first paragraph from chapter 7, page 74 and think about what she might mean by it:

------------------------------------------

How strange. I have only just now realized that this whole affair was nothing more than one family squabble pitted against another.

---------------------------------------------

For something far out how about if this was actually between Arameri and his brother. While pondering Yeine's fate and the reasons for her being there, why did he name both Scrimina and Relad as heirs as well? His daughter was just recently assassinated  (and we don't know why), and though disowned (and I'm not sure if that was not planned) could have been his natural heir.

pen21

Good points. Relad and Scimina do they love anyone? If they must sacrifice someone they love in order to succeed there is no one they can pick. There must be some loophole here I am missing.

Here is a thought, everyone says that Dekarta's succession ceremony is coming.

Does Dekarta expect Yeine to kill him to succeed?

He is her grandfather.

The only other person I can think of that truly would mean something to Yeine would be her Darr grandmother.

Anyone else would be someone she has only known a few days.

Any thoughts?

Luanne

Nadine wrote:

OK, I think I'm a bit confused on this succession. From what I understand the person who wins the non-throne has to prove his or her ruthlessness by sacrificing someone he or she loves. Now as far as I can tell Yeine is considered disposable by virtually everyone. So no one would be much bothered by her death. Scimina is certainly ruthless (and we finally get a taste of that) but who could she find to sacrifice that would fulfill that requirement? So far Relad is a no show in all of this but he is there for a reason. I suspect he will pick up in importance shortly.

Now Arameri knows more than he has let on. He actually showed a tad bit of warmth toward Yeine. He was the one who decided to bring her back and make her an heir. Why

pen21

Thanks, I looked back at p.51.

I agree that dream has to have some significance.

I would expect Yeine to talk to Kurue at some point about those 2 times she saw Kurue presented so differently than the old lady Kurue is portraying.

Luanne

Nadine wrote:

pen21 wrote:

Luanne

Yes, and this adds some weight to the possible prophetic nature of Yeine's dreams. This is Yeine description of Kurue from her dream:

Page 51:

She is sternly beautiful: her hair is the color of bronze, and a pair of enormous wings feathered in gold, silver, and platinum are folded on her back. Kurue, called the Wise.

======================================

This dream has got to have some important significance.

Nadine

I find T'vril early account most interesting. Remember Tivril? He is up to something as well as we have noted. Emphasis mine:

pages 14-15

"Dakartas' beloved wife, the Lady Ygreth, died tragically young more that forty years ago,"...[Note: he has not associated this with the succession.] ..."Kinneth was just a child at the time, but it was already clear she would grow up to be a more-than-suitable heir...."When Kinneth, er, left the family fold, he turned to the children of his late brother. There were four of them originally; Relad and Scimina were the youngest. Twins--runs in the family. Alas, their elder sister met with an unfortunate accident, or so the official story goes."...

"Their elder brother was my father--also dead, thanks to his own efforts. [So Relad and Scrimina are actually his uncle and aunt.]

[Now the next statement is quite curious when read carefully.]

"Unfortunately for him, my mother was just old enough to get with child. Dekarta executed him when her family took exception."

---------------------------------

I had assumed his mother had been "lowborn" like Yeine's father. But his mother's family took exception and Dekarta considered that family to be significant enough to execute his nephew.

I was also taken with that statement about twins running in the family. I was joking earlier about the two Kinneths -- but now....!

Nadine

[ Edited ]

Actually, I have been assuming that Yeine has to die and it was planned that way. But maybe that is just the gods' plan. They need her dead to release Enefa and gain their freedom. Maybe that was not Dekarta's plan. This ending is still totally open.

You hit a very good point, Luanne. It could be either of her grand parents and she is up for the succession. But all of this seems to be part of the gods' plan and it is well thought out. A possible scenario is that Yeine refuses to kill anyone and instead sacrifices herself to free the gods. She is very moral. This would turn everything up-side-down. She would break the succession and free the gods to do their thing and change the world--again. I like this idea Luanne.

pen21 wrote:

Good points. Relad and Scimina do they love anyone? If they must sacrifice someone they love in order to succeed there is no one they can pick. There must be some loophole here I am missing.

He is her grandfather.

The only other person I can think of that truly would mean something to Yeine would be her Darr grandmother.

Any thoughts?

Luanne

Nadine wrote:

pen21

Good discussion of T'vril's statements.

Was Dekarta eliminating the heirs to assure Kinnith to be his successor?

So if twins run in the family. Kinnith has a twin, that would be interesting.

Another heir or someone to sacrifice.

What if Yeine had a twin? Only one receiving the soul.

But I thought Nora said the characters have been introduced in the other sections we have read. I like the unexpected character popping in, throws in some fun story lines.

Luanne

Nadine wrote:

I find T'vril early account most interesting. Remember Tivril? He is up to something as well as we have noted. Emphasis mine:

pages 14-15

"Dakartas' beloved wife, the Lady Ygreth, died tragically young more that forty years ago,"...[Note: he has not associated this with the succession.] ..."Kinneth was just a child at the time, but it was already clear she would grow up to be a more-than-suitable heir...."When Kinneth, er, left the family fold, he turned to the children of his late brother. There were four of them originally; Relad and Scimina were the youngest. Twins--runs in the family. Alas, their elder sister met with an unfortunate accident, or so the official story goes."...

"Their elder brother was my father--also dead, thanks to his own efforts. [So Relad and Scrimina are actually his uncle and aunt.]

[Now the next statement is quite curious when read carefully.]

"Unfortunately for him, my mother was just old enough to get with child. Dekarta executed him when her family took exception."

---------------------------------

I had assumed his mother had been "lowborn" like Yeine's father. But his mother's family took exception and Dekarta considered that family to be significant enough to execute his nephew.

I was also taken with that statement about twins running in the family. I was joking earlier about the two Kinneths -- but now....!

pen21

I didn't think about Yeine sacrificing herself.

So could Yeine be the trigger?

Luanne

Nadine wrote:

Actually, I have been assuming that Yeine has to die and it was planned that way. But maybe that is just the gods' plan. They need her dead to release Enefa and gain their freedom. Maybe that was not Dekarta's plan. This ending is still totally open.

You hit a very good point, Luanne. It could be either of her grand parents and she is up for the succession. But all of this seems to be part of the gods' plan and it is well thought out. A possible scenario is that Yeine refuses to kill anyone and instead sacrifices herself to free the gods. She is very moral. This would turn everything up-side-down. She would break the succession and free the gods to do their thing and change the world--again. I like this idea Luanne.

pen21 wrote:

He is her grandfather.

Any thoughts?

Luanne

Nadine wrote:

Bibliophile
Melhay

pen21 wrote:

Luanne

I had picked up at the first dream Yeine had, that Kurue had wings.  When all the Enefadeh were together and Nightlord was left to destroy the land and all the people there - it was mentioned that Kurue had wings.  I was kind of confused when we met her in the book and she didn't have wings.  Although, I do remember all the Enefadeh have the ability to change their appearance as they see fit.  It was pretty amazing the way she was described though.  Almost angel like.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms: Pages 303-344 (Section 4)

Melhay wrote:

When ever you all are ready, I am through section 3.  I could not stop myself here today.  I got through the whole part.  And I would love to keep going.  I have to know what happens!

We have not got to the ritual yet and I want to read that, and know where it all goes.

Luanne and I have posted our comments on section 3. Don't know if you have anymore comments to add. Go ahead if you do and then lets move on to Section 4 under this thread header. The next section is only 41 pages and three chapters. I may post as I finish each Chapter.

Section 4: Pages 303-344 - 41 pages

23. Selfishness...303
24. If I Ask...316
25. A Chance...324

Things are really starting to pick up. But I think all the big surprises are going to be in the final four chapters. This is a great story! I really don't have an inkling how it is going to turn out. Most of my speculations are right off the wall.

Just to drive us all crazy here are the chapter titles for the last section.

Final Section - 53 pages

26. The Ball...345
27. The Ritual of Succession...357
28. Twilight and Dawn...368
29. The Three...381

And we will want to guess:

Who is Yeine going to take to the ball -- is it bachelor #2?

Who gets killed in the Ritual of succession and who wins?

Twilight and Dawn sounds like the emergence of Enefa. Is she good or evil?

The Three - we are back to three gods again? Itempas, Enefa and Nahadoth? And are they  all loving friends and create a perfect paradise? Not with two more books in the works!

Bibliophile
Melhay

Luanne

I think marrying Yeine's father was out of revenge, but also more out of wanting out of the Arameri way.  The Enefadeh are the ones who introduced Kinneth to Yeines father, so she could get released.

pg 295: Yeine talking with Nahadoth, Nahadoth tells Yeine:

"Yes. This was explained to Kinneth. But since the opportunity had presented itself... We suggested to her that being disowned would get her free of the sigil. And we aimed her toward your father."

I was wondering what Yeines fathers name was as well.  I don't remember ever getting it.  Did we all miss it?  Nadine made the list of characters, but I don't think he is on there.  I may have to go back and find Nora's list link again and see if it is there.

Bibliophile
Melhay

I am still a little out there on Kinneths death/murder.  I am not sure how did this or why.

What were the facts in Kinneths death?

She was poisoned.  There is a puncture on the scar of her sigil.  She died in her sleep. (page 48)

But I think somewhere later Yeine mentions she lays in bed crying as she died.

But I can go back and forth on either Dakarta or the Enefadeh as killing Kinneth.

Dakarta could have many motives.

1) He loved his daughter so much. Maybe he could not put her through what her mother did, to pass the sigil on to the next.  Or maybe he new she would NOT have choosen the next king and set the Enefadeh free.  Kinneth did tell the Enefadeh she would help release them in order to get released from the sigil.

2) He disowned her and did not want her to take the king/queen position.

I had thought it was the Enefadeh but not to sure now.

1) To get Yeine back to Sky and release them.  Although Kinneth said she would release them, but maybe she wasn't as trustworthy as thought at one time.  Being she tried to kill Yeine at birth and maybe didn't want to release them, but to change things in a different way.

The poison!  I thought the Enefadeh where the ones who used it, but now I am leading to an Arameri.  Itempas Bright was the one to use the poison on Enefa and got it from one of the children.  So he would be the only one to get the poison.  So the Arameri (highblood family) may have access to this poison.  Through Viraine who knows the knowledge of the gods, and can read their language.

Okay, Maybe Viraine is the murderer!

Bibliophile
Melhay

pen21 wrote:

He is her grandfather.

Any thoughts?

Luanne

Nadine wrote:

I am thinking when it comes down to the ritual, I have a feeling T'vril will be involved or pulled in some how.  Yeine and T'vril seem to be getting close as friends and such. 

I wonder if T'vril may be the one to transfer the sigil from Dakarta to Yeine.  That he will be the one to make this choice.  In order to put the best person on the throne, and to release the Enefadeh. (not nowing about Enefa's soul in Yeine.)

Nadine

Melhay wrote:

Luanne

I think marrying Yeine's father was out of revenge, but also more out of wanting out of the Arameri way.  The Enefadeh are the ones who introduced Kinneth to Yeines father, so she could get released.

pg 295: Yeine talking with Nahadoth, Nahadoth tells Yeine:

"Yes. This was explained to Kinneth. But since the opportunity had presented itself... We suggested to her that being disowned would get her free of the sigil. And we aimed her toward your father."

I was wondering what Yeines fathers name was as well.  I don't remember ever getting it.  Did we all miss it?  Nadine made the list of characters, but I don't think he is on there.  I may have to go back and find Nora's list link again and see if it is there.

Here is Nora's list.

I’ve gotten a few questions lately from readers about how to pronounce the names in The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms. The truth is, I don’t care how you pronounce them; it’s fiction, it’s not like any real people will be offended. But I know some people like to be precise, so I’ll share how I’ve been pronouncing them:

• Yeine: YAY-neh (Yes, two syllables. This seems to be the biggest point of confusion.)
  • Viraine: vih-RAYN
  • Nahadoth: NA-ha-doth
  • Sieh: see-ay (no particular emphasis on either syllable)
  • Kurue: KOO-roo-ay, rolled “r”
  • Zhakkarn: jah-KARN (I prefer using the Mandarin pronunciation of the “zh”, though I don’t always get it right myself. Just sounds prettier.)
  • Itempas: ee-tem-pahs (no particular emphasis)
  • Enefa: EH-neh-fah
  • Dekarta: deh-KAR-tah
  • Scimina: sih-MEE-nah
  • Relad: reh-LAHD
  • T’vril: Tuh-VRIL (yes, I know there should be like a glottal stop there, but it’s a PITA to pronounce, so I don’t)
  • Ras Onchi: RAHS ON-chee
  • Wohi Ubm: WO-hee OO-bum
  • Gemd: GEH-mid
  • Shahar: shah-HAR
  • Kinneth: kih-NETH
  • Arameri: ah-rah-MEH-ree