Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen

MARCH FEATURE #1: The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin

[ Edited ]

BREAKING NEWS!

N.K. (NORA) JEMISIN WILL BE OUR GUEST THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE MONTH OF MARCH!!!!

Me, book photo

Her debut novel, The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, has been getting some unbelievable reviews so here's your chance to talk to a new author before she becomes a literary superstar....

Paul

http://nkjemisin.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/100k2.jpg

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21

Re: BREAKING NEWS! N.K. JEMISIN WILL BE OUR GUEST THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE MONTH OF MARCH!!!!

Great!!!

Thank you Paul!!!

Glad the book is on the way to me.

pen21

Bibliophile
Melhay

Re: BREAKING NEWS! N.K. JEMISIN WILL BE OUR GUEST THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE MONTH OF MARCH!!!!

Swweeeet! 

The book is said to ship on Monday, tomorrow.  I am really glad the author is able to visit, and FOR THE WHOLE MONTH!  That is way cool.

Thank you Paul!

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Nadine
0 Kudos

I will put my Jemisin previsit posts in this thread (I'll move my other ones over later).

N.k. Jemisin previously wrote a novelette called the Narcomancer. If you want to explore some her earlier writing before her arrival you can listen to the story read at PodCastle. It is free and you merely have to start it. It takes a little over an hour. You can also download it if you prefer. There are quite a few sites that offer this podcast.

You can also read it at Transcriptase.

Nadine
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

Swweeeet! 

The book is said to ship on Monday, tomorrow.  I am really glad the author is able to visit, and FOR THE WHOLE MONTH!  That is way cool.

Thank you Paul!

My book is on its way as well and I should have it by Wednesday. I'm eager to get onto Chapter 4. Maybe Nora could suggest some breaking points for our discussion. WE DO like to speculate, probably to the total  bewilderment and amusement of the author!

Nadine
0 Kudos

N.K. JEMISIN: One Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

[ Edited ]

Repost:

I found the first chapter if anyon wants to sample it:

And this is an excellent Blog on the book.

Ah, another great Blog.

And another.

Jemisin was a short story writer, as as you remember with Ken Scholes, short story writers write nice tight novels that go somewhere.

Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: N.K. JEMISIN: One Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

Repost:

Here are more rave reviews:

Publishers Weekly

Convoluted without being dense, Jemisin’s engaging debut grabs readers right from the start. Yeine desires nothing more than a normal life in her “barbarian” homeland of Darr. But her mother was of the powerful Arameri family, and when Yeine is summoned to the capital city of Sky a month after her mother’s murder, she cannot refuse. Dakarta, her grandfather and the Arameri patriarch, pits her against her two cousins as a potential heir to the throne. In an increasingly deep Zelaznyesque series of political maneuverings, Yeine, nearly powerless but fiercely determined, finds potential allies among her relatives and the gods who are forced to live in Sky as servants after losing an ancient war. Multifaceted characters struggle with their individual burdens and desires, creating a complex, edge-of-your-seat story with plenty of funny, scary, and bittersweet twists. (Mar.)

Library Journal

When her mother dies mysteriously, outcast barbarian Yeine Darr answers a summons to the grand city of Sky from her grandfather, King Dekarta Arameri. Proclaimed one of three heirs to the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, Yeine must learn the customs of the skyborne capital and its ruling elite before she succumbs to their treachery. Debut author Jemisin creates a mesmerizingly exotic world where fallen gods serve as slaves to the ruling class and murder and ambition go hand in hand. VERDICT An engaging heroine and a fresh take on traditional dynastic fantasy make this trilogy opener a delight for the fantasy reader and introduce a strong new voice to the genre.

Kirkus Reviews

Debut fantasy features an intriguing, well-drawn mythology. At first glance, the basic plot may seem standard: A young woman, narrator/protagonist Yeine Darr, is named heir to the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, which plunges her into a power struggle with two rival cousins. But Jemisin's world-building and attention to detail raise this story to another level. In the novel's complex but well-defined universe, a war between the gods took place in the distant past. The losing divinities were punished severely and forced to become the slaves of mortal humans. Yeine's life becomes increasingly entangled with these subjugated gods as she navigates royal politics and tries to uncover the truth about her family history. Jemisin lavishes considerable care on her fictional universe, but she also creates a subtle, emotionally complex character in the thoughtful Yeine. Readers will definitely look forward to future installments of the projected Inheritance Trilogy. An offbeat, engaging tale by a talented and original newcomer.

Nadine
0 Kudos

Repost:

This is N K Jamisin"s blog and she has posted the first three chapters of her book, One Hundred Thousand Kingdoms. I have ordered it but it may be awhile before it gets to me so this allows me the get a bit of a head start. I found this because I was curious as to when the second book in the trilogy might come out. Well, I haven't found out but she is working on the third book right now! I love these new writers. They don't make you wait forever for the next installment.

Read her blog. I enjoyed it. She is really funny and oiginal. I particularly liked her promotional ideas and her take on ancient mythology.

Ah, I found it. The second book in the trilogy will be out in Fall of 2010 and is called The Broken Kingdoms.

Nadine
0 Kudos

Repost:

I started reading the sample chapters to The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms. By the second chapter I was totally hooked and now I have to wait for my book before I can move onto Chapter 4. In the beginning, at least, this is a bit reminiscent of Warbreaker. Girl, with royal blood, from an insignificant country suddenly finds herself called to the central city to live in a glorious palace at the center of the world where gods are held captive. She can never leave, she is totally alone, and she doesn't know who she can trust. But, in this book, she is thrust into mortal peril almost immediately.

Nadine
0 Kudos

Repost:

This is an interesting essay by Nora on post-feminism and the central character of her book, Yeine Darr. Here is a brief quote from it:

================================

The element in question is the background of my protagonist, Yeine Darr, who was born and raised in a matriarchal culture. I didn’t base this culture on any extant matriarchy (although if I had to slap a real-world label on her, Yeine’s home culture corresponds to that of the pre-Columbian Incans, who were probably matriarchal though with vastly different customs). And since Yeine spends the bulk of the story amid the more patriarchal culture of her estranged relatives, readers don’t see much of Yeine’s homeland. But her upbringing does shape her character in interesting ways. Yeine’s a bit of a chauvanist, see. Not an obnoxious one — but she does tend to casually assume that the men around her can’t take care of themselves, are more emotionally fragile than women, and generally aren’t much use outside of bed.

===================================

We have encountered characters like her in Elantris, Warbreaker, and Mistborn. It might be interesting to talk about and compare these female protaganist, especially when Nora comes on board. IN the meantime you might want to read the whole essay at Orbit. Nora just posted this essay yesterday.

Nadine
0 Kudos

Nora uses and interesting writing technique -- kind of like a Stream of Consciousness format. When I read Chapter 1, I thought that maybe I was not going to like it. It seemed "jumpy" but then I found it worked and by the end of the chapter I was hooked. I read somewhere, and now I can't remember where, that this trilogy was already written but the format didn't work, so essentially she is rewriting the book in this style. So I have my first question for Nora:

Question: What format did you use in your first writing of this book?

I am finding that this method is working out very well to provide the back-story without taking a lengthy "time-out" to provide background information that we are going to need to understand what is happening. For those of you who haven't started to read this, the first-person narrator is relating the events that are taking place but her thoughts jump to other events or information in the middle of the narrative..

Nadine

[ Edited ]

Nadine wrote:

Repost:

I started reading the sample chapters to The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms. By the second chapter I was totally hooked and now I have to wait for my book before I can move onto Chapter 4. In the beginning, at least, this is a bit reminiscent of Warbreaker. Girl, with royal blood, from an insignificant country suddenly finds herself called to the central city to live in a glorious palace at the center of the world where gods are held captive. She can never leave, she is totally alone, and she doesn't know who she can trust. But, in this book, she is thrust into mortal peril almost immediately.

I found Chapter 4 of A Hundred Thousand Kingdoms. It is at Barnes & Noble. I didn't think they had a readable sample but somehow I must have missed it. Well, you just click on the book icon and you can read some. They also have some of the appendices and I found those most interesting. There is a glossary for those of us who do not keep as meticulous notes as Melissa. And then a series called definition of terms that fills out some of the background on the story. It is reminiscent of Tolkien's appendices as they are written from the point a view of a person from the story world and time. Then there is an interview with Nora and finally a Sample Teaser Chapter for the next book in the trilogy called The Broken Kingdom. These are not complete but all just teasers. These should keep me happy until I get my book in a couple of days.

I like the idea of getting extra goodies in the appendices. It helps fill out the information in the story line without bogging everything now in the main narrative. I also like the glossary as it helps my leaky brain remember who is who and what is what.

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (Inheritance Trilogy Series)

You'll find the sample here--click the "See Inside"

Nadine
0 Kudos

Well, I have my book. It just arrived. I don't know if I will have time to read it tonight, though. I am going to reread the first four chapters, since the chapters posted were not final, and then stop at Chapter 10 until we work out our chapter breaks. I haven't noticed any obvious chapter breaks yet. There are 29 chapters. I do know that we definitely want a hold at Chapter 27 because a reviewer said there were lots of surprises in the last couple of chapters. There is no table of contents but each chapter is named. Maybe I will make up a table of contents and then we can see if their are obvious breaks.

For the first time I might not be the last person reading!

pen21
0 Kudos

I got my book last night.Read the first 4 chapters.

Chapter 10 sounds great.

Do we start discussing in March?

Nadine thanks for picking a breaking point.

pen21

Nadine wrote:

Well, I have my book. It just arrived. I don't know if I will have time to read it tonight, though. I am going to reread the first four chapters, since the chapters posted were not final, and then stop at Chapter 10 until we work out our chapter breaks. I haven't noticed any obvious chapter breaks yet. There are 29 chapters. I do know that we definitely want a hold at Chapter 27 because a reviewer said there were lots of surprises in the last couple of chapters. There is no table of contents but each chapter is named. Maybe I will make up a table of contents and then we can see if their are obvious breaks.

Nadine
0 Kudos

Great Pen. At least we won't feel rushed for this one. I picked Chapter 10 as a cut-off quite obitrarily. I think Paul is going to come up with some sort of schedule when he gets his book. (You mean we have a book before Paul!!!) I didn't want to get too far ahead of his schedule so I thought Chapter 10 would be safe. I thought about emailing Nora and asking her what would be a good breaking point but couldn't find an email address at her blog.
I understand that we will start our discussion when Paul puts up the March threads. In the mean time we can use this one for general discussion -- like maybe the writing style--and getting some backgrounders in. I thought it also might be a place where we could start collecting some questions for Nora for when she comes on board. I always think of lots of good questions and then forget them when the time comes to post them. At least I won't lose them or forget them if I temporarily post them here.

pen21 wrote:

I got my book last night.Read the first 4 chapters.

Chapter 10 sounds great.

Do we start discussing in March?

Nadine thanks for picking a breaking point.

pen21

Nadine wrote:

Nadine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I compiled a Table of Contents from the book chapter titles. I was hoping something might be noticeable in the pattern or the titles that might inspire breaking points but I'm not seeing anything. Here is my TOC:

One Hundred Thousand Kingdoms
Table of Contents

1. Grandfather...1
2. The Other Sky...13
3. Darkness...24
4. Magician...35
5. Chaos...50
6. Alliance...56
7. Love...74
8. Cousin...82
9. Memories...99
10. Family...107
11. Mother...123
12. Sanity...140
13. Ransom...150
14. The Walking Dead...167
15. Hatred...177

16. Sar-enna-nem 187

17. Relief...207
18. The Oubliette...226
19. Diamonds...239
20. The Arena...253
21. First Love...272
22. Such Rage...287
23. Selfishness...303
24. If I Ask...316
25. A Chance...324
26. The Ball...345
27. The Ritual of Succession...357
28. Twilight and Dawn...368
29. The Three...381

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

I'll have something you you guys soon! I'm going to try and read it over the weekend and have something for you on Monday...

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom

How about the first ten chapters than the next seven, six and then finally the last six chapters.  I plan on joining in the discussion if school work doesn't get in the way.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

I just got my book in the mail as well!  Got to love those men in brown on the days they deliver. :smileywink:

I have 2 books (Demon bound & Boneshaker) to read here before I dig in.  I am hoping to get started around Feb 25th or 26th to be ready to discuss in March.  If you all get started before me I will definitely catch up. :smileyhappy:  I will keep all my little post-its going. :smileyhappy:

I am really looking forward to this one too!

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
pen21
0 Kudos

Let me know what you think of Boneshaker, I really liked that one.

I have a regular copy of Hundred Thousand, but now I see the eBook is available on 2/25. The eBook would have been nice for searching for things for the discussion. Oh well, I have to learn about when they put out the eBook versions. pen21

Melhay wrote:

I just got my book in the mail as well!  Got to love those men in brown on the days they deliver. :smileywink:

I have 2 books (Demon bound & Boneshaker) to read here before I dig in.  I am hoping to get started around Feb 25th or 26th to be ready to discuss in March.  If you all get started before me I will definitely catch up. :smileyhappy:  I will keep all my little post-its going. :smileyhappy:

I am really looking forward to this one too!