Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen

!!!March Reminder: KEN SCHOLES WILL BE HERE!!!

[ Edited ]

Lamentation 

Yeah, I know – I've already told you all about Ken Scholes visiting us throughout the month of March but I wanted to make sure you knew the significance of this writer – and his debut novel Lamentation.

I stated a few months ago that Lamentation is going to completely redefine the science fiction and fantasy genres – it's one of those rare "transformative" books that will not only compel readers to look at all future SF/fantasy releases in a different light but also force them to ask themselves: "What is the difference between SF and fantasy? Can a novel be both simultaneously?" 

At the risk of overstating the obvious, it's an unarguable classic read, on par thematically with Walter M. Miller, Jr.'s A Canticle for Leibowitz.   

In a few years, Ken Scholes – and his Psalms of Isaac saga – is going to be the stuff of literary legend so this, in my mind, is a once in a lifetime opportunity to talk to a genre superstar in the making. 

If you only read one "genre fiction" novel this year, make it Lamentation by Ken Scholes. Trust me on this one...

Paul 

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 02-25-2009 06:26 PM
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Re: !!!March Reminder: KEN SCHOLES WILL BE HERE!!!

Well I'm glad you've talked the book up so much, I finally got around to starting it this morning on the train and I'm already hooked!  

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine

[ Edited ]

Paul wrote:

At the risk of overstating the obvious, it's an unarguable classic read, on par thematically with Walter M. Miller, Jr.'s A Canticle for Leibowitz. 

-------------------------------------

I too am seeing a lot of thematic material in common between the two books. However, the preservation and destruction of knowledge I associate more with the destruction of the great library of Alexander by a mob of Christian fanatics and much of what we knew about our own Western, pre-christian knowledge. It was only through the efforts of Moslem scholars that any of this was preserved and "rediscovered" in the West during the crusades. Since I haven't managed to finish either book yet (I plan on doing a lot of reading this weekend) I don't know how they relate. But I agree with you. A discussion of this book and  Canticle could be well worthwhile.

Even though I am new to the genre, and haven't quite figured out the difference between fantasy and SF,  I can already see your point that it is creating a composite genre which I find very intriguing.  This could be a time "long ago" or the future. But it is well grounded in our own world. There are no fantasy people, time is real, and the moon is our moon. There is a curious mix of magic, tribal primitivism, and technology (hey, they even have indoor plumbing with hot showers!). The technology is both primitive and advanced. But both the magic and technology seem almost one and the same and could be possible in the real world.

I consider my comments above as a "first look" since I haven't finished the book yet, so I don't think I could spoil it for anyone -- more possibly I could mislead them.

Well worth the read and fast moving. I highly recommend it.

Oops, I for got an information link: Destruction of the the Great Library at Alexandria and the murder of the librarian, Hypatia.

Message Edited by Nadine on 02-27-2009 12:26 PM
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

I'm so excited: I just received the e-mail notification from my library that Lamentation has been purchased and is waiting for me to pick it up. I love it when SF & F are mixed so I have high hopes and expectations for this one. Between Paul's hype and Scholes' agent, Jennifer Jackson promoting the book on her blog, I'm really ready to dive in. I need a book to get excited about, and I'm hoping this will be it.
B&N Bookseller
Virginia_H
0 Kudos

That's exciting!  I just picked that one up.  So far so good!
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

I'm telling you: Lamentation will be an instant genre classic. I'll be posting the March Feature thread in a few moments so we can continue this conversation there!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky