Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Re: Mistborn #1: The Final Empire

I have a thought here. Say you're a skaa and you've been involved in these meetings. Since the Empire considers you sort of a "non-person" which of these scenarios would you expect at their hands after coughing up the "plan"?

a) the grateful thanks of the Empire and riches beyond compare?

or

b) A painful torture session with the happy Inquistors, execution for you and probably your family.

I'm guessing "B". I'm just naturally shifty like that though.

Brad

I'm saying B too because the Inquistors are some mean and nasty people!!

Welcome back Brad haven't seen you around lately!!

Carmen

Thanks Carmen. Good to be back. I'll try and keep up with you folks but you guys are organized and have actual notes! I suspect my disability (Laziness and Work Allergies) will make it hard , but I'm game. Love that you guys are motivated enough for yer own book discussion.

Brad 

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:

I have a thought here. Say you're a skaa and you've been involved in these meetings. Since the Empire considers you sort of a "non-person" which of these scenarios would you expect at their hands after coughing up the "plan"?

a) the grateful thanks of the Empire and riches beyond compare?

or

b) A painful torture session with the happy Inquistors, execution for you and probably your family.

I'm guessing "B". I'm just naturally shifty like that though.

Brad

I'm saying B too because the Inquistors are some mean and nasty people!!

Welcome back Brad haven't seen you around lately!!

Carmen

Thanks Carmen. Good to be back. I'll try and keep up with you folks but you guys are organized and have actual notes! I suspect my disability (Laziness and Work Allergies) will make it hard , but I'm game. Love that you guys are motivated enough for yer own book discussion.

Brad 

Brad I am sure you will keep up just well.  We at least try to give page numbers and quotes to help spar other ideas from anyone game to play.  All new ideas are welcome and wanted.  Glad to see you jumping in!!

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Brad 

LOL:smileyvery-happy:! It's just plain old fun, I can't wait till the next book! I wanna figure out who the Hero is, if I even can that is:smileywink:.

I don't really write actual notes either. I just write down the page number when I see something interesting, then I come back to it after the fact, it's alot easier that way. And any questions I may have as well, you know.

Anything you have to add will be awesome, especially your jokes :smileyvery-happy: lol!!

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
paulgoatallen

OH MY GOD. It's not finalized yet but I think we have a good chance at getting Brandon Sanderson to stop by for a few days in July for Warbreaker. OH MY GOD. This means that, ahem, you can ask him questions about previous works, ahem. So, yeah, I'll keep you updated but I just had to share!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

OH MY GOD. It's not finalized yet but I think we have a good chance at getting Brandon Sanderson to stop by for a few days in July for Warbreaker. OH MY GOD. This means that, ahem, you can ask him questions about previous works, ahem. So, yeah, I'll keep you updated but I just had to share!

Paul 

"For Paul's a jolly good fellow, for Paul's  a jolly good fellow

For Paul's a jolly good fellow (pause), which nobody can deny

Which nobody can deny, which nobody can deny

For Paul's  a jolly good fellow, for Paul's a jolly good fellow

For Paul's a jolly good fellow (pause), which nobody can deny!"

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Wow. Thanks Nadine! :smileyhappy:

Seriously, this could be great – like a condensed version of our month-long talk with Ken Scholes. There's SO much to talk about!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Oh MY GOD is right, I will be the happiest person ever, he is like soooo one of my favorites (doing a little dance, back flipping off the couch, a couple cartwheels)(Uh oh, I think I just pulled a muscle!:smileyvery-happy: ) Man, I just hope he does it would be soooo Awesomely cool!!!

Thanks Paul, way cool!!

Carmen

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul 

Oh my, Oh my, Oh my....(jumping up & down) -- Let me catch my breathe......

Paul have I told you lately Your the Man?  Well, Your the Man! --Three cheers for Paul--  Hip Hip Hurray!!!

Okay.  Oh my god.  I was just thinking how much fun it was to have Ken here when we did, and how wonderful it would be to have Brandon around to talk over his books.  WOW...

This could really be exciting.  I am glad we did these readings and threads now, now I have read the books and loved them.

Message Edited by Melhay on 04-29-2009 08:24 AM

Nadine
0 Kudos

I thought we had discussed something on this somewhere, but I sure can't find it! Anyway, I believed we had planned to do The Hero of Ages in May after we finished up withThe Well of Ascension, and then do Elandris in June, and then Warbreaker in July -- perfect timing. How does this sound to the rest of you folks? We should be Brandon Sanderson experts by the time he drops in!

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul 

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:
I thought we had discussed something on this somewhere, but I sure can't find it! Anyway, I believed we had planned to do The Hero of Ages in May after we finished up withThe Well of Ascension, and then do Elandris in June, and then Warbreaker in July -- perfect timing. How does this sound to the rest of you folks? We should be Brandon Sanderson experts by the time he drops in!

I'm Game!! FUN, FUN!! It will be the coolest thing ever if Sanderson does drop by!!

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

I am game to play!  I think I may actually go get Warbreaker when it comes out June 9th.  I am afraid I wont be able to get it in time before July's discussion.  I know it is hard cover but I think he is worth the price.  I want to be prepared for him coming and we will have to come up with some ideas of questions ahead, that we may still have when we are done with the books.

Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: Mistborn #1: The Final Empire: Bumps

Nadine wrote:
Now that we have knocked the "bumps" abound a bit and done some theorizing, lets look back at what is supposedly Branderson "blatant" clue!!!  Since the title for the last book is The Hero of Ages, I assume whoever is the "Hero" has to survive that long.

============================

Sanderson's annotations for the Prologue.

Somewhere in the italicized pre-chapter blurb of the prologue here is the clue one needs to figure out the over-arching mystery of the entire series. If you figure it out, good for you! If you don't, you'll have to wait until the last chapter of the final book to get it explained. . . .
--------------------------------

Sometimes, I worry that I'm not the hero everyone thinks I am.

The philosophers assure me that this is the time, that the signs have been met. But I still wonder if they have the wrong man. So many people depend on me. They say I will hold the future of the entire world in my arms.

What would they think if they knew that their champion -- the Hero of Ages, their savior -- doubted himself? Perhaps they wouldn't be shocked at all. In a way, this is what worries me most. Maybe, in their hearts, they wonder -- just as I do.

When they see me, do they see a liar?
===============

I'm still baffled!  There doesn't appear to be much to work with here!

The feelings and the style of the above narrator and I  assume the narrator of all of the bumps is the same. I also feel that the sentiments and writing style also fit the diary especially the last entry in the diary (Pages 478-480).

Somewhere did we get the name of the diary writer?

Good memory, Melissa. I went back through our old Mistborn #1 discussions looking for where we were talking about Brandon's big clue. This is on page 3 and it is post #57 of this thread.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

Nadine wrote:
Now that we have knocked the "bumps" abound a bit and done some theorizing, lets look back at what is supposedly Branderson "blatant" clue!!!  Since the title for the last book is The Hero of Ages, I assume whoever is the "Hero" has to survive that long.

============================

Sanderson's annotations for the Prologue.

Somewhere in the italicized pre-chapter blurb of the prologue here is the clue one needs to figure out the over-arching mystery of the entire series. If you figure it out, good for you! If you don't, you'll have to wait until the last chapter of the final book to get it explained. . . .
--------------------------------

Sometimes, I worry that I'm not the hero everyone thinks I am.

The philosophers assure me that this is the time, that the signs have been met. But I still wonder if they have the wrong man. So many people depend on me. They say I will hold the future of the entire world in my arms.

What would they think if they knew that their champion -- the Hero of Ages, their savior -- doubted himself? Perhaps they wouldn't be shocked at all. In a way, this is what worries me most. Maybe, in their hearts, they wonder -- just as I do.

When they see me, do they see a liar?
===============

I'm still baffled!  There doesn't appear to be much to work with here!

The feelings and the style of the above narrator and I  assume the narrator of all of the bumps is the same. I also feel that the sentiments and writing style also fit the diary especially the last entry in the diary (Pages 478-480).

Somewhere did we get the name of the diary writer?

Good memory, Melissa. I went back through our old Mistborn #1 discussions looking for where we were talking about Brandon's big clue. This is on page 3 and it is post #57 of this thread.

I have an idea now of who I think it might be, now that I am through chapter 20 of book 3.  I am going to write my thoughts down and when we get there I will look at them again or we can talk about them at our stopping point.  Anyone getting any ideas?

Nadine
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

I have an idea now of who I think it might be, now that I am through chapter 20 of book 3.  I am going to write my thoughts down and when we get there I will look at them again or we can talk about them at our stopping point.  Anyone getting any ideas?

I do too, but I'm beginning to suspect that it is getting to be much too obvious. Brandon may be setting us up for a really big surprise! Lets wait until I put the Mistborn #3 thread up.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

Melhay wrote:

I do too, but I'm beginning to suspect that it is getting to be much too obvious. Brandon may be setting us up for a really big surprise! Lets wait until I put the Mistborn #3 thread up.

Oh yah, I wasn't going to post anything. I was just wondering if everyone is just getting ideas.  You have to write them down for yourself.  Then, at the end go back and look at what you thought.  I do this all the time.  I really get a kick out of what I thought and what really happens at times.  Sometimes, to my surprise I was close or right but for different thought pattern then what the writter says.

Nadine
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

Nadine wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Oh yah, I wasn't going to post anything. I was just wondering if everyone is just getting ideas.  You have to write them down for yourself.  Then, at the end go back and look at what you thought.  I do this all the time.  I really get a kick out of what I thought and what really happens at times.  Sometimes, to my surprise I was close or right but for different thought pattern then what the writter says.

This might be fun. After we finish our discussion through to Part 5, "Trust" in The Hero of Ages, we each post our best guess(es) and why. Then we take our break and read the rest of the book. We already have posted in this thread some of our early ideas.

Contributor
Fiction_Fanatic_22031

I know I'm really late coming to this party but I just recently ran across this group. I'm so glad that others are reading and enjoying the Sanderson's Mistborn books. I recommend them often and I'm surprised when I run across people who give me blank looks when I mention them.

For me I really liked the world he created and the idea that the quest to save it failed. The character of Kelsier was great and the magic system was very inventive.  (If I have one criticism it is that Sanderson spent a bit too much book time discussing it - we "got" the idea but he kept re-iteratting what metals did what etc). 

I agree with the intial post that the end of the story was a real page turner.  I loved the way it ended even if that meant one of my favorite characters had to die (I kind of expected it anyway).  There were some surprises there that I was not expecting and that is always a good thing to come across.  Again - a slight criticism is that the pacing seemed uneven to me. The end while exciting seemed very rushed.  I was amazed at the few # of pages I that were left with a lot to be resolved as I was reading the last bit and while it all came together well I guess I would have liked that to be a bit longer.

Nadine
0 Kudos

Fiction_Fanatic_22031 wrote:

I know I'm really late coming to this party but I just recently ran across this group. I'm so glad that others are reading and enjoying the Sanderson's Mistborn books. I recommend them often and I'm surprised when I run across people who give me blank looks when I mention them.

For me I really liked the world he created and the idea that the quest to save it failed. The character of Kelsier was great and the magic system was very inventive.  (If I have one criticism it is that Sanderson spent a bit too much book time discussing it - we "got" the idea but he kept re-iteratting what metals did what etc). 

I agree with the intial post that the end of the story was a real page turner.  I loved the way it ended even if that meant one of my favorite characters had to die (I kind of expected it anyway).  There were some surprises there that I was not expecting and that is always a good thing to come across.  Again - a slight criticism is that the pacing seemed uneven to me. The end while exciting seemed very rushed.  I was amazed at the few # of pages I that were left with a lot to be resolved as I was reading the last bit and while it all came together well I guess I would have liked that to be a bit longer.

That slow start and build-up followed by a frantic ending seems to be the hallmark of Brandon's books. It is something he deliberately does and you are not alone in thinking the first parts always seem to drag a bit and then the ending seems rushed. But he usually pulls it all off. And in the whirlwind end you find yourself totally surprised.

Please join us in our Reading of Elantris (which we just finished but will probably have a few more words on) and especially Warbreaker that we have just started. Brandon will be joining us on the 10th of July to talk to us about his books and answer our questions. We especially want to get started on Warbreaker before he gets here. Most of us have just started to read that one. Paul has set up our first reading section for Warbreaker for Prologue through to page 152.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

Fiction_Fanatic_22031 wrote:

That slow start and build-up followed by a frantic ending seems to be the hallmark of Brandon's books. It is something he deliberately does and you are not alone in thinking the first parts always seem to drag a bit and then the ending seems rushed. But he usually pulls it all off. And in the whirlwind end you find yourself totally surprised.

Please join us in our Reading of Elantris (which we just finished but will probably have a few more words on) and especially Warbreaker that we have just started. Brandon will be joining us on the 10th of July to talk to us about his books and answer our questions. We especially want to get started on Warbreaker before he gets here. Most of us have just started to read that one. Paul has set up our first reading section for Warbreaker for Prologue through to page 152.

What amazes me in these books is the ending.  You have 700 and some pages to the books and all the way up to 650 you have tons of questions still that need to be answered.  In some miraculous way Brandon answers them all and then some.  It just amazes me how he can pull the whole book together in just a few pages. 

I think Brandon will be here for 3 days, July 8th -10th.  We have a thread going of questions for Brandon so we are a little ahead of the game for the short time he will be with us.

Correspondent
ParkerS17
0 Kudos

Hi I'm a big fan of Brandon Sanderson's work and I'd love to get in on these discussions with you guys.  I keep finding older posts though.  What book on you guys on right now?

Hands, like secrets, are the hardest thing to keep from you
Lines and phrases, like knives, your words can cut me through
Dismantle me down (repair) you dismantle me, you dismantle me