Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension

Time to start Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension. We will start Mistborn #3: The Hero of Ages on May 31.

You can still participate in the discussion of Mistborn #1: The Final Empire, or review the discussion, it has its own thread: The Final Empire

If you haven't read The Final Empire, you can still do so. However, you can read The Well of Ascension as a stand-alone book. There is enough back-story in it to fill you in on the events leading up to our current book and The Well of Ascension also has a summary of the first book prepared by the author at the back in the ARS ARCANIUM. In my paperback version it starts on page 778. In fact, those who have read the first book might want to read the summary. It gives the highlights of what Sanderson thought was important in the book.

The book "surprises" start to be revealed quite rapidly beginning at Page 580 or Chapter 27 on. So if you are making comments on material revealed in that section, please mark them as "SPOILERS" for the benefit of those still reading the book.
Bibliophile
Melhay

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension

Okay, I really don't know where to start.  I have so many questions.  I don't think I know the answers, but then again I may.  There was a lot of information in this book.  It did NOT seem to have the middle child syndrom at all.  It did answer questions yet it created a lot more, that is the confusing part for me, trying to keep it all straight in my head.

I was wondering on the Conventical of Seran.  This is, I think, a library for the Steel Inquisitors.  I want to just verify that because from Sazeds visit there it seems like it may be more than that and I don't remember it having the traditional "books" like a library usually does.

Also, on page 76 Marsh mentions his "brethren".  Who is he talking about?  I wondered when I read this section, was he speaking of the Steel Inquisitors or is he speaking of others? (I don't know who but it just struck me that way.)

"'You must come with me,' Marsh said. 'I may need help, should my brethren discover us.'"

Now I know Sazed can do many great things, but this just seemed odd to me.  I struck me as a trap.  Which by the end of the book I believe so, but not in the physical form for Sazed at this time.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

Also, on page 76 Marsh mentions his "brethren".  Who is he talking about?  I wondered when I read this section, was he speaking of the Steel Inquisitors or is he speaking of others? (I don't know who but it just struck me that way.)

"'You must come with me,' Marsh said. 'I may need help, should my brethren discover us.'"

I think, he was talking about the other Steel Inquisitors.

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Bibliophile
Melhay

I had thought the Steel Inquisitors but what good would Sazed be?  I hate to say that but they are as good as they are Sazed can't do anything to them.

Now Marsh knows the mists are coming during the day and he mentions this to Sazed.  How does he know more than that?

pg 77

'"because it is true," Marsh Said. "This is not over, Sazed. It has not yet begun. The Lord Ruler...he was just a delay. A cog. Now that he is gone, we have little time remaining. Come with me to the Conventical--we must search it while we have th opportunity."'

I have a few questions on this.  What is Marsh looking for there?  How does he know its not over?  Marsh just seems to know things, but how?  He doesn't seem to know how he knows he just does, is that a play at nieve?

Inspired Scribe
carmen22

[ Edited ]

To be honest, I don't even know where to begin with this book it had so much good stuff through out! Here's just a few things that are on my mind!

Nadine, I would like to ask you what you think of Elend now?

---------------------

It seems there are two things in the mist one bad and one that seems good. So, who did Vin draw her power from in book one, the evil force or the good force in the mist?

----------------------

Zane, he had a metal bar in his back like the Inquisitors. Do you think this is why he heard that voice that he called "God"? Do you think that the Inquisitors also hear this voice, maybe this is why they're so mean and killing machines? And these metal bars must get power from somewhere, I'm thinking it's from the evil power.

This also may be part of your answer, Melhay. If they are hearing this vocie then Marsh is hearing it to and knows something is coming. We don't know what it would be telling them they have what eleven bars when Zane only had one.

---------------------

The Kandra-- I loved  Oreseur/Tensoon and Vins relationship, it started out rough but then transformed into something more deep. I loved the idea of Sanderson turning him into a dog, I found him to be a more likeable character this way. 

------------------

Koloss, they were just crazy and unique, I loved them.

Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-10-2009 11:20 PM
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Bibliophile
Melhay

[ Edited ]

carmen22 wrote:

To be honest, I don't even know where to begin with this book it had so much good stuff through out! Here's just a few things that are on my mind!

Nadine, I would like to ask you what you think of Elend now?

---------------------

It seems there are two things in the mist one bad and one that seems good. So, who did Vin draw her power from in book one, the evil force or the good force in the mist?

----------------------

There are times when the mist seems to pull toward Vin and others when it pulls away from her.  I was wondering if the Well had something to do with what Vin pulled from when she pulled from the mists, or helped her pull from the mists. 

I don't understand the day mists though. 

How did the Lord Ruler keep them away?  By not releasing the power of the Well?  But they were coming before that.  Was it that he could pull from the mists like Vin had done in the first book?  With doing this he was able to push them away during the day, but at night when he rested the mists would come? 

Does the Well have a connection with the mists?  I am starting to think so.  Is it maybe when the Well gets strong and wants to be taken and released it controls the mists to convince "the Hero" to come to it and do as it wishes?

Message Edited by Melhay on 05-11-2009 08:33 AM

Bibliophile
Melhay

carmen22 wrote:

----------------------

Zane, he had a metal bar in his back like the Inquisitors. Do you think this is why he heard that voice that he called "God"? Do you think that the Inquisitors also hear this voice, maybe this is why they're so mean and killing machines? And these metal bars must get power from somewhere, I'm thinking it's from the evil power.

This also may be part of your answer, Melhay. If they are hearing this vocie then Marsh is hearing it to and knows something is coming. We don't know what it would be telling them they have what eleven bars when Zane only had one.

---------------------

***Spoilers Possible***

This is a good connection, on the inquisitors maybe hearing the "god" also.  This could connect them.

Them being the killing machines they are.  Maybe they are not able to not do as the "god" tells them.  My confusion is how does that connect because the Lord Ruler is the one who created the Inquisitors.  See this is where I start getting confused at:

How does Kwaan and his steel logbook connect/relate with the Steel Inquisitors?  How does the Steel Inquisitors relate to the Well since the Lord Ruler created them? 

I understand Kwaan is the uncle to the Lord Ruler and the Lord Ruler created the Steel Inquisitors but to me they almost seem opposite.  And the hatred toward the terris people.  I just seem to get lost on trying to relate this all on my own.

On Zane - I am wondering if he is really dead.  Now think back on the Inquisitors, the only way to kill one was to break the connection of the spikes - rip the one out of the back.  Vin did not do this to Zane.  Could be still be alive?  There was not talk of him after she "killed" him in the bedroom, no mention of clean up or that he wasn't there.  I wonder if it is possible we have not seen the last of Zane.  Then I wonder how or why he has that spike.

Is the voice Vin hears in the Well the same as the voice of "god" Zane hears?  I think it could very well be.  "God" didn't want Vin dead because he knew he could get her to release him.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

carmen22 wrote:

---------------------

The Kandra-- I loved  Oreseur/Tensoon and Vins relationship, it started out rough but then transformed into something more deep. I loved the idea of Sanderson turning him into a dog, I found him to be a more likeable character this way. 

------------------

I to fell in love with OreSeur/TenSoon and Vins relationship.  She really made a connection with him.  The dog idea was great on many levels. 

They seemed to understand each other well.

I wonder since Vin had a contract with OreSeur and it may still be open then maybe TenSoon will be assigned to her to fulfill that contract (assignment) in the next book.  Do you think possible or this is the last we have seen of TenSoon?

Nadine
0 Kudos

You guys are off and running! Yes, there is SOooo nuch to talk about in this book! I haven't read your comments in detail yet. I still have 60 more pages to read and I hope to finish it off today. But I don't want to comment or read too many of your comments yet. Keep them coming. I'll be there but a bit late. I will make just this one general comment and that is I found this a deeper more interesting book than the previous one but probably not as exciting to some other readers. Some great characters and some interesting ideas were significant to me.

And Carmen, I'm still not sold on Elend but he still has 60 more pages to impress me.

Contributor
Briannah

[ Edited ]

Melhay wrote:

There are times when the mist seems to pull toward Vin and others when it pulls away from her.  I was wondering if the Well had something to do with what Vin pulled from when she pulled from the mists, or helped her pull from the mists. 

How did the Lord Ruler keep them away?  By not releasing the power of the Well?  But they were coming before that.  Was it that he could pull from the mists like Vin had done in the first book?  With doing this he was able to push them away during the day, but at night when he rested the mists would come? 

Does the Well have a connection with the mists?  I am starting to think so.  Is it maybe when the Well gets strong and wants to be taken and released it controls the mists to convince "the Hero" to come to it and do as it wishes?

-------Possible Spoilers-----

Hello Melhay, I hope you guys don't mind I'm just going to jump in here!

The Mist was coming before the lord ruler, I think, because he never fully defeated it. Although, somehow he was holding back the Mist Creatures and when Vin killed the Lord Ruler there was no one with the power (not sure what kind of power, though) to hold them back but they weren't fully released yet because of the Well, I believe. They needed someone to release them, so somehow they altered the pages that Vin and Sazed has and here by making them believe that if they release this power it will be a good thing but that turns out to be wrong. Now that Vin has let this evil power go there are many more of these deadly Mist Creatures and who will stop them is the big question.

I believe, that the Mist creatues definitely have to do with the Well because after she let this power go more of the deadly Mist creatures came into play. What will happen now?

Message Edited by Briannah on 05-11-2009 01:45 PM
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Briannah wrote:

Briannah,

Please join us for our discussions.  We always look to hear from any and all others.  Great to have you joining in.  Stick around for a while and join us in the future ones please.

Mel

Contributor
Briannah
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

---------------------

------------------

I to fell in love with OreSeur/TenSoon and Vins relationship.  She really made a connection with him.  The dog idea was great on many levels. 

They seemed to understand each other well.

I wonder since Vin had a contract with OreSeur and it may still be open then maybe TenSoon will be assigned to her to fulfill that contract (assignment) in the next book.  Do you think possible or this is the last we have seen of TenSoon?

I also fell in love with these two and I do hope he returns. Sanderson really does come up with some real amazingly unique creatures and he always keeps you on your toes.
Contributor
Briannah
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

Briannah wrote:

Briannah,

Please join us for our discussions.  We always look to hear from any and all others.  Great to have you joining in.  Stick around for a while and join us in the future ones please.

Mel

Thank you, Melhay! I will definitely join in as much as I have time for, I'm looking forward to it!

Bri

Bibliophile
Melhay

Briannah wrote:

Melhay wrote:

The Mist was coming before the lord ruler, I think, because he never fully defeated it. Although, somehow he was holding back the Mist Creatures and when Vin killed the Lord Ruler there was no one with the power (not sure what kind of power, though) to hold them back but they weren't fully released yet because of the Well, I believe. They needed someone to release them, so somehow they altered the pages that Vin and Sazed has and here by making them believe that if they release this power it will be a good thing but that turns out to be wrong. Now that Vin has let this evil power go there are many more of these deadly Mist Creatures and who will stop them is the big question.

I believe, that the Mist creatues definitely have to do with the Well because after she let this power go more of the deadly Mist creatures came into play. What will happen now?

Are there creatures in the mist?  I was wondering how these people were getting killed by the mists.  They shake so violently, by what the witness's say but I don't remember them seeing anything with the people.  I was wondering if it may be Marsh... 

***SPOILER ALERT***

Marsh makes a comment in the book pg 749 '"You were wrong, Sazed," Marsh said quietly, "Once, I was not a warrior, but that has changed. You spent the last two years teaching, but I spent them killing. Killing so many people..."'

Could he be controlling the mist or metals in the body to kill the skaa and others?  Or do you think he is just terrorizing cities with the other Steel Inquisitors (though you don't hear of it)?

I do think the Well has control over the mists by way of the Deepness.  Which is what cuts the sunshine out so that things can't grow and then in turn no food.  I think the Lord Ruler had oppressed it(being the mists to create the Deepness) in some way while he was alive also.  But I think what is killing the people is something different.?  And I don't think the Mist Spirit that is seen is affiliated with the killing mists. (That is a whole discussion of its own I will get to later.)

Inspired Scribe
carmen22

Melhay wrote:

***Spoilers Possible***

This is a good connection, on the inquisitors maybe hearing the "god" also.  This could connect them.

Them being the killing machines they are.  Maybe they are not able to not do as the "god" tells them.  My confusion is how does that connect because the Lord Ruler is the one who created the Inquisitors.  See this is where I start getting confused at:

How does Kwaan and his steel logbook connect/relate with the Steel Inquisitors?  How does the Steel Inquisitors relate to the Well since the Lord Ruler created them? 

I understand Kwaan is the uncle to the Lord Ruler and the Lord Ruler created the Steel Inquisitors but to me they almost seem opposite.  And the hatred toward the terris people.  I just seem to get lost on trying to relate this all on my own.

On Zane - I am wondering if he is really dead.  Now think back on the Inquisitors, the only way to kill one was to break the connection of the spikes - rip the one out of the back.  Vin did not do this to Zane.  Could be still be alive?  There was not talk of him after she "killed" him in the bedroom, no mention of clean up or that he wasn't there.  I wonder if it is possible we have not seen the last of Zane.  Then I wonder how or why he has that spike.

Is the voice Vin hears in the Well the same as the voice of "god" Zane hears?  I think it could very well be.  "God" didn't want Vin dead because he knew he could get her to release him.

Doesn't it say that Zane was raised by the Inquisitors or at least lived with them. Maybe because he is a Mistborn he didn't need all the spikes but they put this one in him for the link between "god" and the Inquisitors, if that be the case of course.

An interesting idea that he might still be alive, after reading that part I was kind of thinking that same thing. I also believe that he could be hearing that evil voice that Vin heard.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22

Melhay wrote:

Briannah wrote:

I believe, that the Mist creatures definitely have to do with the Well because after she let this power go more of the deadly Mist creatures came into play. What will happen now?

Are there creatures in the mist?  I was wondering how these people were getting killed by the mists.  They shake so violently, by what the witness's say but I don't remember them seeing anything with the people.  I was wondering if it may be Marsh... 

***SPOILER ALERT***

Marsh makes a comment in the book pg 749 '"You were wrong, Sazed," Marsh said quietly, "Once, I was not a warrior, but that has changed. You spent the last two years teaching, but I spent them killing. Killing so many people..."'

Could he be controlling the mist or metals in the body to kill the skaa and others?  Or do you think he is just terrorizing cities with the other Steel Inquisitors (though you don't hear of it)?

I do think the Well has control over the mists by way of the Deepness.  Which is what cuts the sunshine out so that things can't grow and then in turn no food.  I think the Lord Ruler had oppressed it(being the mists to create the Deepness) in some way while he was alive also.  But I think what is killing the people is something different.?  And I don't think the Mist Spirit that is seen is affiliated with the killing mists. (That is a whole discussion of its own I will get to later.)

Well, to me, I also think there are two kinds of creatures in the Mist the one that was trying to get Vin to stop what she was doing and then the ones they see taking people. pg.170 "Taken by the mist. Oh, how he shook. Was a bullheaded one, you know. Old Jell. Oh, how he shook. How he writhed when they toke him." Maybe not a creature exactly but something that's not human.

Melhay wrote: Could he be controlling the mist or metals in the body to kill the skaa and others?  Or do you think he is just terrorizing cities with the other Steel Inquisitors (though you don't hear of it)?

I'm thinking that he has been killing skaa with the Inquisitors because if they do hear this "God" don't you think it would be telling them to kill who ever like it was telling Zane, just a thought.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Briannah wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Briannah wrote:

Briannah,

Mel

Thank you, Melhay! I will definitely join in as much as I have time for, I'm looking forward to it!

Bri

Hi  Briannah! Nice to have you here!
Nadine
0 Kudos

OK, I just finished the book. I can see where late-comers to these discussions can feel overwhelmed so they don't even know where or how to start participating. I'm behind less than 24 hours and I can say, wow! -- I'm totally behind and I'll never never catch up. But I'm just going to take up the discussion systematically and chronologically and add in my two cents worth.

I noticed at the end of the book, Sanderson recommends following his annotations--just to totally overwhelm us. So let me post that link now. We may be discussing this book for the next two months!

Annotations 

Nadine
0 Kudos

Mel wrote:

Okay, I really don't know where to start.  I have so many questions.  I don't think I know the answers, but then again I may.  There was a lot of information in this book.  It did NOT seem to have the middle child syndrom at all.  It did answer questions yet it created a lot more, that is the confusing part for me, trying to keep it all straight in my head.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Me too, Mel. The first book worked very nicely to a neat but open climax that led you on to the next book. It was full of surprises, which seem to be the hallmark of Sanderson's books -- at least this trilogy. This is only my second book of his but I can see that he builds his world and characters very methodically and slowly at first and then at a certain point near the end, the whole world starts spinning out of control with one surprise after another. I feel like a Mistborn on atrium! This was especially true of The Well of Ascension.  Right up to the end, I didn't know what to expect. I had made guesses that things were not going to be the way I suspected but I NEVER would have known what to have done if I had been in Vin's cloak.

Nadine

[ Edited ]

Mel wrote:

I was wondering on the Conventical of Seran.  This is, I think, a library for the Steel Inquisitors.  I want to just verify that because from Sazeds visit there it seems like it may be more than that and I don't remember it having the traditional "books" like a library usually does.

------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure how much Marsh is his own person and how much of him is controlled by outside forces. Obviously he is controlled to some extent but by who (or what) or if he is just preprogramed by virtue of his transformation, I'm not sure. I have a feeling that this is something that will be resolved int he next book.I think that in the end Marsh will turn out to be a "good guy" who was compeled to act in ways against his will.

I'm also not sure what the Conventical of Seran was meant to be or who his "brethren" are. This is obviously not just a usual place of torture for the Inquisitors. It did house the "written in steel" account, that does seem a bit rebellious especially for Steel Inquisitors.

I would also like to make a few more commentsabout Marsh. He is a strange character, and from my personal reading, I found I really didn't know him very well. In TFE he seemed to make an appearance at the end that was significant but I don't remember much of him and his background earlier in the book. We also don't know who inducted him into the Steel Inquisitors and why. I was left with a lot of questions and loose ends about Marsh.

I was very pleased to see he was going to play a major part in TWoA, at least it seemed so at first. And then he disappeared for the rest of the book. I was really disappointed and wished Sanderson had done more with him. 

SPOILERS

Then when I got to the end, he came out of the blue generating even more questions in my mind and a growing frustration that I didn't know anything more about him or what was happening. I have a feeling he is going to turn out to be one of the most fascinating characters of the next book -- that is if, Sanderson doesn't totally yank him out of the picture and leave me totally disappointed. At any rate, Marsh is one character that I wish I knew more about and I feel he has a deep (but unexplaned) relationship with Sazed and cared deeply about having to do what he did in the end.

Message Edited by Nadine on 05-11-2009 09:31 PM