Reply
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension


Melhay wrote:

I had thought the Steel Inquisitors but what good would Sazed be?  I hate to say that but they are as good as they are Sazed can't do anything to them.

 

Now Marsh knows the mists are coming during the day and he mentions this to Sazed.  How does he know more than that?

  pg 77

     '"because it is true," Marsh Said. "This is not over, Sazed. It has not yet begun. The Lord Ruler...he was just a delay. A cog. Now that he is gone, we have little time remaining. Come with me to the Conventical--we must search it while we have th opportunity."'

 

I have a few questions on this.  What is Marsh looking for there?  How does he know its not over?  Marsh just seems to know things, but how?  He doesn't seem to know how he knows he just does, is that a play at nieve?


I think Marsh does know more about what is going on and what is to happen. But we know so little about the actual purpose of Steel Inquisitors in general and maybe this separate group of "brethren." In TFE I thought they were just inforcers of the Final Empire and were happiest torturing people.

 

SPOILERS

But nothing is that simple in a Sanderson novel. They were "created beings" (actually modified) by the Lord Ruler and we are left with the question in this book -- was Lord Ruler a tyrant or was he serving the greater good the best he could?

 

We are also left with the vague revelation that these Steel Inquisitors were doing some ruthless things to the Terrismen. But what or why we don't know.

 

I'm sure having a hard time not picking up THoA and getting on with the story!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension

[ Edited ]

Carmen wrote:

To be honest, I don't even know where to begin with this book it had so much good stuff through out! Here's just a few things that are on my mind!

 

Nadine, I would like to ask you what you think of Elend now?

---------------------------------------------------

 

I find Elend to be a frustrating character. At first I just thought him naive and idealistic. He was too "goody" and too honest. No one survives in politics being that nice.

 

But Sanderson is building him up for a purpose and a major theme of this trilogy seems to be the concept of Trust. Vin, who trusted no one in the begining under the instruction of her brother, eventually in that book learns to trust the "crew." In this book, it is she and Elend learning to trust in each other. Elend may be just a catalist for her development or he may evolve into the ideal leader -- the philosopher king. I think my judgment is still in suspension at this point in the story. I will have to wait until the next book to see where he goes.

Message Edited by Nadine on 05-11-2009 09:19 PM
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension

Carmen wrote:

It seems there are two things in the mist one bad and one that seems good. So, who did Vin draw her power from in book one, the evil force or the good force in the mist?

------------------------

 

Good question? I'm glad you remembered that. Got me! My head is still spinning from the ending! I think in TFE it was the "mist person" who may have given herthe unexpected power. OR, on the other hand, it could have been the "evil force" who had to make sure she killed the Lord Ruler and eventually got to the well.

 

SPOILERS

I don't know if the "mist person" is good or bad or just one entity. I suspect he is acting for the greater good from his apparent behavior at the end. I'm also not sure if he is part of the mist or somehow is entrapped in it by the "evil force."

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension

carmen wrote:

Zane, he had a metal bar in his back like the Inquisitors. Do you think this is why he heard that voice that he called "God"? Do you think that the Inquisitors also hear this voice, maybe this is why they're so mean and killing machines? And these metal bars must get power from somewhere, I'm thinking it's from the evil power.

 

This also may be part of your answer, Melhay. If they are hearing this vocie then Marsh is hearing it to and knows something is coming. We don't know what it would be telling them they have what eleven bars when Zane only had one.

----------------------------------------------------------

 

Yes, I think you are right on here. The metal bar in Zane's back made him insane and "controlled" him and I think it (or at least one of the metal bars) controls the Inquisitors. The other metal bars in the Inquisitors probably serve other purposes.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension

[ Edited ]

Carmen wrote:

The Kandra-- I loved  Oreseur/Tensoon and Vins relationship, it started out rough but then transformed into something more deep. I loved the idea of Sanderson turning him into a dog, I found him to be a more likeable character this way. 

------------------------------

 

I did too. And I thought the Kandra were one of Sanderson's most interesting inventions. Again, I think he is dealling with his theme of "trust." The Kandra were compelled to behave in a certain way by their "contract" , and though Orseur could not escape that contract control, he was able to transend it due to his relationship of trust and caring between him and Vin and willing to sacrifice himself for her.

Message Edited by Nadine on 05-11-2009 09:21 PM
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension

[ Edited ]

Carmen wrote:

Koloss, they were just crazy and unique, I loved them.

-----------------------------

 

Me too. Another unique invention of Sanderson. It seems, though, we have many such created (or enhanced) creature (or persons) with some sort of purpose known only to the Lord Ruler. Even though many were used for seeming evil puposes, I'm now wondering if they all were not designed with a purpose of serving a greater good. Even though the Koloss appeared to be mindless killing machines (which they were), they were easily controlled once you knew how and really (Ooops I got bleeped) "sweet little cats." But I had a feeling when we met some individuals in the Koloss encampment that maybe they was some humanity in them somewhere and they were more (or had been more) than what they seemed to be.

Message Edited by Nadine on 05-11-2009 09:24 PM
Bibliophile
Melhay
Posts: 2,057
Registered: ‎12-11-2008

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension


Nadine wrote:

Carmen wrote:

It seems there are two things in the mist one bad and one that seems good. So, who did Vin draw her power from in book one, the evil force or the good force in the mist?

------------------------

 

Good question? I'm glad you remembered that. Got me! My head is still spinning from the ending! I think in TFE it was the "mist person" who may have given herthe unexpected power. OR, on the other hand, it could have been the "evil force" who had to make sure she killed the Lord Ruler and eventually got to the well.

 

SPOILERS

I don't know if the "mist person" is good or bad or just one entity. I suspect he is acting for the greater good from his apparent behavior at the end. I'm also not sure if he is part of the mist or somehow is entrapped in it by the "evil force."


 

***SPOILERS*** 

The Mist Spirit is a question for me also.  Who or what is it?  I know we believe it to be mist but it is able to do allomancy.  That makes me wonder.  It has been know to pull on emotions.  How is that possible?  Kandra's are not suppose to be able to use the allomancy of a mistborn/misting they take the bones of so what is it?  Is this a new being in the making? 

 

This Spirit has studied Vin since book one.  I don't understand why it tried to communicate with Elend after it tried to kill him.  Why did it not try to communicate with Vin?  Was it trying to kill Elend in the tent a test for Vin?  What was to the North that it was telling Elend?  In the end it hurts Elend to try to stop Vin, then saves Elend's life.  I don't think the Spirit is of "bad" nature but is trying to find a way to communicate.

 

If I remember correctly I think this spirit did the same thing with Alendi in the mountains with him and his friend. (following, then coming face to face, then killing or cutting his friend)

 

I don't think we have seen the last of the Spirit for now.  I think he may have a lot to share with us in the future.

_______________________
"There are no honorable causes. There is no good or evil. Evil is only what we call those who oppose us." From Nyphron Rising, By Michael J. Sullivan

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Bibliophile
Melhay
Posts: 2,057
Registered: ‎12-11-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension


Nadine wrote:

carmen wrote:

Zane, he had a metal bar in his back like the Inquisitors. Do you think this is why he heard that voice that he called "God"? Do you think that the Inquisitors also hear this voice, maybe this is why they're so mean and killing machines? And these metal bars must get power from somewhere, I'm thinking it's from the evil power.

 

This also may be part of your answer, Melhay. If they are hearing this vocie then Marsh is hearing it to and knows something is coming. We don't know what it would be telling them they have what eleven bars when Zane only had one.

----------------------------------------------------------

 

Yes, I think you are right on here. The metal bar in Zane's back made him insane and "controlled" him and I think it (or at least one of the metal bars) controls the Inquisitors. The other metal bars in the Inquisitors probably serve other purposes.

 


 

Okay, I agree with the metal spikes being the way Zane and the Steel Inquisitors are being controlled. 

 

But the Lord Ruler made the Steel Inquisitors up himself.  How does that cross over to what this new creature or "God" is and how is it controlling them all?  Does this Well "God" posses the same powers as the Lord Ruler did? and very talented at using them?

_______________________
"There are no honorable causes. There is no good or evil. Evil is only what we call those who oppose us." From Nyphron Rising, By Michael J. Sullivan

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Bibliophile
Melhay
Posts: 2,057
Registered: ‎12-11-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension

Carmen & Bri

 

Thanks on the tip on the mist creatures.  I never picked that one up.  I just thought it was the mist that was killing.  I never even realized that Taken by the Mist was that a creature was out there doing it, I was thinking Taken by the mist meaning that they were killed taken as in taking the life out of them.

 

Thanks!!

_______________________
"There are no honorable causes. There is no good or evil. Evil is only what we call those who oppose us." From Nyphron Rising, By Michael J. Sullivan

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Contributor
Briannah
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎05-09-2009

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension


Nadine wrote:

Mel wrote:

 

Also, on page 76 Marsh mentions his "brethren".  Who is he talking about?  I wondered when I read this section, was he speaking of the Steel Inquisitors or is he speaking of others? (I don't know who but it just struck me that way.)

     "'You must come with me,' Marsh said. 'I may need help, should my brethren discover us.'"

------------------------------------------------

 

I'm not sure how much Marsh is his own person and how much of him is controlled by outside forces. Obviously he is controlled to some extent but by who (or what) or if he is just preprogrammed by virtue of his transformation, I'm not sure. I have a feeling that this is something that will be resolved int he next book.I think that in the end Marsh will turn out to be a "good guy" who was compelled to act in ways against his will.

 

I'm also not sure what the Conventical of Seran was meant to be or who his "brethren" are. This is obviously not just a usual place of torture for the Inquisitors. It did house the "written in steel" account, that does seem a bit rebellious especially for Steel Inquisitors.

 

I would also like to make a few more commentsabout Marsh. He is a strange character, and from my personal reading, I found I really didn't know him very well. In TFE he seemed to make an appearance at the end that was significant but I don't remember much of him and his background earlier in the book. We also don't know who inducted him into the Steel Inquisitors and why. I was left with a lot of questions and loose ends about Marsh.

 

I was very pleased to see he was going to play a major part in TWoA, at least it seemed so at first. And then he disappeared for the rest of the book. I was really disappointed and wished Sanderson had done more with him. 

 


   Hello Nadine, I'm going to go through and reply to each thread I feel I can input on, so if I repeat anything that has been said already you'll know why. I have made the points in bold that I would like to add to or help with.

 

 

 

 "Brethren" - members of the same group --  the members, especially men, of a church or other religious group. So, my intake on this would have be that he is talking about the other Inquisitors, his brothers through "god" and who are in fact members of the same group. 

 

Marsh, It seems to me that some how he is in fact being controlled or driven insane by these bars.

 

Conventical -- Of or from, or pertaining to, a Convent -- a community of persons devoted to religious life under a superior. I believe, that this place was a place of worship for the "brethren" (who, I think, are the Inquisitors), but who are they worshiping the Lord Ruler or the force that may be controlling them?

 

Who inducted him into the Steel Inquisitors and why.  In book one Kelsier needed information about the Inquisitors so he asked Marsh to join the Monastery. Kelsier had found a way for Marsh to join the Monastery and my intake on how he became an Inquisitor was while in the monastery with the Inquisitors he impressed them. He seems to be a pretty intelligent man from the way Kelsier talked about him in the first book and the fact that he fooled the Inquisitors and in turn they made him a full Inquisitor.

Contributor
Briannah
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎05-09-2009

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension


Melhay wrote:

Nadine wrote:

carmen wrote:

Zane, he had a metal bar in his back like the Inquisitors. Do you think this is why he heard that voice that he called "God"? Do you think that the Inquisitors also hear this voice, maybe this is why they're so mean and killing machines? And these metal bars must get power from somewhere, I'm thinking it's from the evil power.

 

This also may be part of your answer, Melhay. If they are hearing this vocie then Marsh is hearing it to and knows something is coming. We don't know what it would be telling them they have what eleven bars when Zane only had one.

----------------------------------------------------------

 

Yes, I think you are right on here. The metal bar in Zane's back made him insane and "controlled" him and I think it (or at least one of the metal bars) controls the Inquisitors. The other metal bars in the Inquisitors probably serve other purposes.

 


 

Okay, I agree with the metal spikes being the way Zane and the Steel Inquisitors are being controlled. 

 

But the Lord Ruler made the Steel Inquisitors up himself.  How does that cross over to what this new creature or "God" is and how is it controlling them all?  Does this Well "God" posses the same powers as the Lord Ruler did? and very talented at using them?


 

Yes, but why and how did the Lord Ruler know to do this. Did he make a turce with this evil spirit (or whatever) to give it controll of these Inquisitors to do its will and worship? So it wouldn't fully take over the world?

Contributor
Briannah
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎05-09-2009

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension


Melhay wrote:

Nadine wrote:

Carmen wrote:

It seems there are two things in the mist one bad and one that seems good. So, who did Vin draw her power from in book one, the evil force or the good force in the mist?

------------------------

 

Good question? I'm glad you remembered that. Got me! My head is still spinning from the ending! I think in TFE it was the "mist person" who may have given herthe unexpected power. OR, on the other hand, it could have been the "evil force" who had to make sure she killed the Lord Ruler and eventually got to the well.

 

SPOILERS

I don't know if the "mist person" is good or bad or just one entity. I suspect he is acting for the greater good from his apparent behavior at the end. I'm also not sure if he is part of the mist or somehow is entrapped in it by the "evil force."


***SPOILERS*** 

The Mist Spirit is a question for me also.  Who or what is it?  I know we believe it to be mist but it is able to do allomancy.  That makes me wonder.  It has been know to pull on emotions.  How is that possible?  Kandra's are not suppose to be able to use the allomancy of a mistborn/misting they take the bones of so what is it?  Is this a new being in the making? 

 

This Spirit has studied Vin since book one.  I don't understand why it tried to communicate with Elend after it tried to kill him.  Why did it not try to communicate with Vin?  Was it trying to kill Elend in the tent a test for Vin?  What was to the North that it was telling Elend?  In the end it hurts Elend to try to stop Vin, then saves Elend's life.  I don't think the Spirit is of "bad" nature but is trying to find a way to communicate.

 

If I remember correctly I think this spirit did the same thing with Alendi in the mountains with him and his friend. (following, then coming face to face, then killing or cutting his friend)

 

I don't think we have seen the last of the Spirit for now.  I think he may have a lot to share with us in the future.


  Well the reason , I think, that he tried to communicate with Elend was because it had been trying to communicate with Vin but she never fully understood it. It wanted to figure out any way to stop this power from being released. This Mist Spirit, I think, wanted Vin to use the power instead of release it by almost killing Elend so in turn she would save his life and use this power. I don't think it wanted Elend to die it just didn't want this evil released. This spirit was also communicating with Elend before the end pg718 "The Mist creature points. North. Away from Luthadel."so there must be something to the North that will save them or help them in some way.

 

And you do remember correctly he did stab Alendi's friend, maybe for the same reason, a warning perhaps.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension


Melhay wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

  To be honest, I don't even know where to begin with this book it had so much good stuff through out! Here's just a few things that are on my mind!

 

Nadine, I would like to ask you what you think of Elend now?

 

---------------------

 

It seems there are two things in the mist one bad and one that seems good. So, who did Vin draw her power from in book one, the evil force or the good force in the mist?

 

----------------------

Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-10-2009 11:20 PM

There are times when the mist seems to pull toward Vin and others when it pulls away from her.  I was wondering if the Well had something to do with what Vin pulled from when she pulled from the mists, or helped her pull from the mists. 

 

I don't understand the day mists though. 

   How did the Lord Ruler keep them away?  By not releasing the power of the Well?  But they were coming before that.  Was it that he could pull from the mists like Vin had done in the first book?  With doing this he was able to push them away during the day, but at night when he rested the mists would come? 

 

Does the Well have a connection with the mists?  I am starting to think so.  Is it maybe when the Well gets strong and wants to be taken and released it controls the mists to convince "the Hero" to come to it and do as it wishes?

Message Edited by Melhay on 05-11-2009 08:33 AM

The Lord Ruler obviously had a lot of control of things. I'm not sure if he actually stepped into the well and decided to take the power from the well and use it or he aquired his power by other means. But I think he somehow kept the Mists and the evil contained thing at bay. Remember his last words:

 

TFE page 632

 

"You don't understand," he wheezel. "You don't know what I do for mankind. I was your god, even if you couldn't see it. By killing me, you have doomed yourselves...."

 

 

page 640

 

She [Vin] remembered that fear in Lord Ruler's eyes. Terror.

 

He said "do," not "did." "What I do for mankind." That implies that he was still doing it, whatever it was.

 

You have doomed yourselves....

 

After that (TWoA) the Mists started to linger later and later and killing people. So, even though the Evil was still imprisioned in the Well, its influence via the Mists was no longer contained and started seeping out over the land. 

 

At this point we don't know how the Lord Ruler kept things under control, but considering the catastrophy at the end of TWoA, I think that will be a prime objective in THoA.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension

Mel wrote:

***Spoilers Possible***

 

This is a good connection, on the inquisitors maybe hearing the "god" also.  This could connect them.

 

Them being the killing machines they are.  Maybe they are not able to not do as the "god" tells them.  My confusion is how does that connect because the Lord Ruler is the one who created the Inquisitors.  See this is where I start getting confused at:

 

   How does Kwaan and his steel logbook connect/relate with the Steel Inquisitors?  How does the Steel Inquisitors relate to the Well since the Lord Ruler created them? 

 

I understand Kwaan is the uncle to the Lord Ruler and the Lord Ruler created the Steel Inquisitors but to me they almost seem opposite.  And the hatred toward the terris people.  I just seem to get lost on trying to relate this all on my own

-----------------------------------------------

 

It is interesting that the Lord Ruler built into many of the creatures a "controling" device and also limited thier numbers. We also are not totally sure if he created them or if they were there already, (maybe released by the Well when he took power) and he modified them building in controlling devices because he now had the power. Maybe we should review each of these "creations" and see what they had in common.

 

Steel Inquisitors - They were very limited in number (Marsh killed all that were in the city and I think that left only 11 outside). These are created out of normal humans in some sort of very bloody ceremony that invloved driving stakes (and maybe the sacrifice of other humans) into them, especially the "controling" stake. They seem to have a natural blood lust and enjoyed torturing and killing people. Maybe this was another way that Lord Ruler controlled them. He set himself up as their "god" (maybe to cancel out the "Evil" god) and let them be the official torturers.

 

The Obligators - They could recognize when Allomancy was being used on them but don't seem to have any superhuman powers--just "normal" people. The are essentially bureaucrats (and priests, I think). Have you noticed they seem to be missing from TWoA? I have been wondering through the whole book why my paperback edition has an Obligator on the front cover.

 

The Kandra - They seem to have a self-imposed "control" system under a "contract system". They are of the Mists and I don't know their connection. They may come into being when the Mists started. I don't remember now how they came about. They also seemed to have a built-in control system that could be activated by maybe the Lord Ruler and was utilized by Vin.I don't know how they reproduce or how their numbers are controlled. Lord Ruler definitely did keep the numbers of any of his "special" beings under control.

 

 The Koloss - These are brutes and Lord Ruler's soldiers. I think he created them. But they do have a built in control system that Lord Ruler obviously used and Vin is capable of using. I have no idea how they breed but their numbers are limited to a coupleof dozen years as they die of sheer size.

 

The Terris People - They are the Keepers of knowlege. They were also the original race of Lord Ruler. They control themselves through "contracts" and controlled breeding. They can also enhance their physical abilities by storing up their own natural abilities over time in metals and then drawing on it in emergencies.

 

Mistborn/Mistings - They appear to be regular people but can draw superhuman poweres from metals. They acquire this ability through breeding. This inherited ability is limited to the nobility and any breeding with the skaa is strickly forbidden. I don't know what relationship they might have with the Mists except a sort comfortable relationship with it.

 

So the main thing I see that they all are limited in number in someway, and are (or were) controlled, either voluntarily or by force, by the Lord Ruler.

 

Can anyone add to my analysis or point out anything else here?

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension

Mel wrote:

On Zane - I am wondering if he is really dead.  Now think back on the Inquisitors, the only way to kill one was to break the connection of the spikes - rip the one out of the back.  Vin did not do this to Zane.  Could be still be alive?  There was not talk of him after she "killed" him in the bedroom, no mention of clean up or that he wasn't there.  I wonder if it is possible we have not seen the last of Zane.  Then I wonder how or why he has that spike.

------------------------------------

 

Now that is an interesting idea, Mel! I really liked Zane and actually became more sympathetic to him as the story unfolded. Maybe the stake was part of Lord Ruler's control system but he didn't "stake" all Mistborns. However, Staff Venture was a particularly dangerous nobleman and Lord Ruler may have "staked" Zane to put him under his control and thereby have a weapon against Staff Venture should he ever get out of hand.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension

I have been reviewing the Mistborn #1 thread to see if there is something there we want to pick up on now that we have read the second book. I came across the Table of Allomantic Metals that we kind of avoided since there were metals on there that might have spoiled the next book. Well, there are still metals that have not been introduced yet, though I don't see how they could really spoil the plot. They are the Temporal and some Enhancement Metals. Don't enlarge the chart and move it up (to read the bottom) if you don't want to know what they are. I have no idea of what Brandon could be planning to do with them so I don't think they give away anything.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension

I also found this interesting tidbit from Brandon's Annotations for Mistborn #1 in the Mistborn #1 thread:

 

Chapter 38 Annotations (Sanderson's comments):

 

By the way, the mists getting pushed away from Vin and Kar here is a clue of some sorts. Inquisitors push away the mists, rather than attracting them, when they use their powers. I'll explain this in book three too.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension


Remember back in the Mistborn #1 thread we were trying to piece together the Prophecy? I went through the posts trying to pick up the pieces. These were mainly from the Mistborn #1 pre-chapter narratives that we were calling "Bumps."

Page 146 - Bump

"He shall defend their ways, yet violate them. He will be their savior. yet they shall call him heretic. His name shall be Discord, yet they shall love him for it."


Page 342 - Bump

"The Hero of Ages shall not be a man, but a force. No nation may claim him, no woman shall keep him, and no king may slay him. He shall belong to none, not even himself."

Page 480 - the Diary

"He will take upon himself authority that no mortal should hold."

------------------------------

Some of Mel's contributions:


page 1 - Bump

They say I will hold the future of the entire world on my arms.

Page 28 - Bump and Page 480 - Logbook

The Terris prophecies say that I will have the power to save the world.  They hint, however, that I will have the power to destroy it as well.

Page 104 - Bump

...But somebody has to stop the Deepness and, apparently, Terris is the only place this can be done.

Page 440

...that I wear the piercings of the Hero unjustly.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension

The Obligators - They could recognize when Allomancy was being used on them but don't seem to have any superhuman powers--just "normal" people. The are essentially bureaucrats (and priests, I think). Have you noticed they seem to be missing from TWoA? I have been wondering through the whole book why my paperback edition has an Obligator on the front cover.

================================

 

Well, in Brandon's Annotations for Chapter 10, he does settle the problem with the Obligators:

--------------------

 

Obligators. This is the first time you see them in the book. It isn't the last time you'll see them, but it's nearly so. They just don't have much of a part in the story now.

 

I toyed with making them villains in the novel, involving them a lot more in politics, but discarded that concept. I decided that 1) The Lord Ruler's power was broken, and that fighting against remnants of it would be a little anti-climactic. 2) There just wasn't any more space in the book for more villains.

 

The armies invading Luthadel, and their leaders, are bad enough. Part of my rational is that the warlords--not the priests--are going to be the real danger in this new world. The priests were a force for stability. Now that everything has been overthrown, they simply won't have any power to be of a threat.

 

Though, I will note that a major force in the third book is, indeed, an obligator who has taken control of a section of the empire.

 

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
Posts: 988
Registered: ‎01-12-2009

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension


Nadine wrote:

Carmen wrote:

To be honest, I don't even know where to begin with this book it had so much good stuff through out! Here's just a few things that are on my mind!

 

Nadine, I would like to ask you what you think of Elend now?

---------------------------------------------------

 

I find Elend to be a frustrating character. At first I just thought him naive and idealistic. He was too "goody" and too honest. No one survives in politics being that nice.

 

But Sanderson is building him up for a purpose and a major theme of this trilogy seems to be the concept of Trust. Vin, who trusted no one in the beginning under the instruction of her brother, eventually in that book learns to trust the "crew." In this book, it is she and Elend learning to trust in each other. Elend may be just a catalist for her development or he may evolve into the ideal leader -- the philosopher king. I think my judgment is still in suspension at this point in the story. I will have to wait until the next book to see where he goes.

Message Edited by Nadine on 05-11-2009 09:19 PM

 

   What happens if he ends up being "The Hero" it seems possible at this point because now he is a Mistborn and we don't know exactly what this metal was, so could he be something more? Just something I was thinking about.
_______________________
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson