Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension

Re: Brethrenof Marsh

I did find on pag 132 into 133 that Marsh is speaking of the Steel Inquisitors.

'"The upstairs quarters are empty," Marsh said. "This trip has been a waste--my brethren took anything of use with them."'

Thanks for all the questing into the Brethren!!

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Briannah wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Nadine wrote:

carmen wrote:

Zane, he had a metal bar in his back like the Inquisitors. Do you think this is why he heard that voice that he called "God"? Do you think that the Inquisitors also hear this voice, maybe this is why they're so mean and killing machines? And these metal bars must get power from somewhere, I'm thinking it's from the evil power.

This also may be part of your answer, Melhay. If they are hearing this vocie then Marsh is hearing it to and knows something is coming. We don't know what it would be telling them they have what eleven bars when Zane only had one.

----------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I think you are right on here. The metal bar in Zane's back made him insane and "controlled" him and I think it (or at least one of the metal bars) controls the Inquisitors. The other metal bars in the Inquisitors probably serve other purposes.

Okay, I agree with the metal spikes being the way Zane and the Steel Inquisitors are being controlled. 

But the Lord Ruler made the Steel Inquisitors up himself.  How does that cross over to what this new creature or "God" is and how is it controlling them all?  Does this Well "God" posses the same powers as the Lord Ruler did? and very talented at using them?

Yes, but why and how did the Lord Ruler know to do this. Did he make a turce with this evil spirit (or whatever) to give it controll of these Inquisitors to do its will and worship? So it wouldn't fully take over the world?

These are good questions Bri!!  I just took for granted it was his Feruchemy and Allomancy experience and knowledge to create the Steel Inquisitors.  The Lord Ruler had knowledge of metals and of techniques used that where not made available to the other mistborns.

I had thought this was part of the reason for killing or minimizing the Terris people so.  They may have or had the knowledge before he reduced their people so much.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

Carmen wrote:

The Kandra-- I loved  Oreseur/Tensoon and Vins relationship, it started out rough but then transformed into something more deep. I loved the idea of Sanderson turning him into a dog, I found him to be a more likeable character this way. 

------------------------------

I did too. And I thought the Kandra were one of Sanderson's most interesting inventions. Again, I think he is dealing with his theme of "trust." The Kandra were compelled to behave in a certain way by their "contract" , and though Orseur could not escape that contract control, he was able to transend it due to his relationship of trust and caring between him and Vin and willing to sacrifice himself for her.

Message Edited by Nadine on 05-11-2009 09:21 PM

Spoilers-----

I also thought that the Kandra were the most interesting. And Wow about what Sanderson did. I did not see it coming that her Kandra was in fact the imposter, could you? Man, I was just so surprised, Sanderson is good!

The relationship between Tensoon and Vin was just my favorite part really, every time they were together I didn't want it to end, we also got so much information when they were together.

I thought it was just so funny and cute when she starts petting his head and he says "Um, I don't know how I feel about this, Mistress." I just love Sanderson's writing style he puts things in there that just make you smile and make these characters so believable and real.

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Briannah wrote:

Well the reason , I think, that he tried to communicate with Elend was because it had been trying to communicate with Vin but she never fully understood it. It wanted to figure out any way to stop this power from being released. This Mist Spirit, I think, wanted Vin to use the power instead of release it by almost killing Elend so in turn she would save his life and use this power. I don't think it wanted Elend to die it just didn't want this evil released. This spirit was also communicating with Elend before the end pg718 "The Mist creature points. North. Away from Luthadel."so there must be something to the North that will save them or help them in some way.

And you do remember correctly he did stab Alendi's friend, maybe for the same reason, a warning perhaps.

I was wondering about the North also.  I didn't know if there was anything up that way.  Was there any talk of further North when the Lord Ruler was making his ways?  The Lord Ruler that was a Terrisman would know what was up there since he was a guide for the north.  What if not only the land scape was changed by the Lord Ruler...  Could there be more answers here?  Could there be a next voyage to the North?

Bibliophile
Melhay

Nadine wrote:

Melhay wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

To be honest, I don't even know where to begin with this book it had so much good stuff through out! Here's just a few things that are on my mind!

Nadine, I would like to ask you what you think of Elend now?

---------------------

It seems there are two things in the mist one bad and one that seems good. So, who did Vin draw her power from in book one, the evil force or the good force in the mist?

----------------------

Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-10-2009 11:20 PM

There are times when the mist seems to pull toward Vin and others when it pulls away from her.  I was wondering if the Well had something to do with what Vin pulled from when she pulled from the mists, or helped her pull from the mists. 

I don't understand the day mists though. 

How did the Lord Ruler keep them away?  By not releasing the power of the Well?  But they were coming before that.  Was it that he could pull from the mists like Vin had done in the first book?  With doing this he was able to push them away during the day, but at night when he rested the mists would come? 

Does the Well have a connection with the mists?  I am starting to think so.  Is it maybe when the Well gets strong and wants to be taken and released it controls the mists to convince "the Hero" to come to it and do as it wishes?

Message Edited by Melhay on 05-11-2009 08:33 AM

The Lord Ruler obviously had a lot of control of things. I'm not sure if he actually stepped into the well and decided to take the power from the well and use it or he aquired his power by other means. But I think he somehow kept the Mists and the evil contained thing at bay. Remember his last words:

TFE page 632

"You don't understand," he wheezel. "You don't know what I do for mankind. I was your god, even if you couldn't see it. By killing me, you have doomed yourselves...."

page 640

She [Vin] remembered that fear in Lord Ruler's eyes. Terror.

He said "do," not "did." "What I do for mankind." That implies that he was still doing it, whatever it was.

You have doomed yourselves....

After that (TWoA) the Mists started to linger later and later and killing people. So, even though the Evil was still imprisioned in the Well, its influence via the Mists was no longer contained and started seeping out over the land. 

At this point we don't know how the Lord Ruler kept things under control, but considering the catastrophy at the end of TWoA, I think that will be a prime objective in THoA.

I do think there is a good chance that maybe the Lord Ruler, which ever person he is, did take the power of the Well for himself.  I also believe he created the Kandra and the Koloss with this power.

from page 489-490 while Vin is speaking with OreSeur on his history,

'...What do you know of the origin of the kandra?"

Vin perked up. "Nothing."

We did not exist before the Ascension," he said.

"You mean to say that the Lord Ruler created you?"

"That is what our lore teaches," OreSeur said. "We are not certain of our purpose. Perhaps we were to be Father's spies."

Then there is talk on pg 490 that the Lord Ruler put in a way to control them.

Then it goes into Vins thoughts on Lord Ruler creating them and the Well.

'He created them, Vin though. She had always shared a bit of Kelsier's view regarding the Lord Ruler--that he was more man than deity. But, if he'd truly created a completely new species, then there had to have been some divinity in him.

The power of the Well of Ascension, she thought. He took it for himself--but it didn't last. It must have run out, and quickly. Otherwise, why would he have needed armies to conquer?'

There is also mention of the Koloss's being cousins to the Kandra, unfortunatly at the moment I am not able to find the page number for you.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

Briannah wrote:

Well the reason , I think, that he tried to communicate with Elend was because it had been trying to communicate with Vin but she never fully understood it. It wanted to figure out any way to stop this power from being released. This Mist Spirit, I think, wanted Vin to use the power instead of release it by almost killing Elend so in turn she would save his life and use this power. I don't think it wanted Elend to die it just didn't want this evil released. This spirit was also communicating with Elend before the end pg718 "The Mist creature points. North. Away from Luthadel."so there must be something to the North that will save them or help them in some way.

And you do remember correctly he did stab Alendi's friend, maybe for the same reason, a warning perhaps.

I was wondering about the North also.  I didn't know if there was anything up that way.  Was there any talk of further North when the Lord Ruler was making his ways?  The Lord Ruler that was a Terrisman would know what was up there since he was a guide for the north.  What if not only the land scape was changed by the Lord Ruler...  Could there be more answers here?  Could there be a next voyage to the North?

I, too, was wondering about the North. It was also pointing to the North with Vin wasn't it? There may be a voyage to the North to find something to defeat this force you can't really see until it's to late. 
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Bibliophile
Melhay

carmen22 wrote:

Nadine wrote:

Carmen wrote:

To be honest, I don't even know where to begin with this book it had so much good stuff through out! Here's just a few things that are on my mind!

Nadine, I would like to ask you what you think of Elend now?

---------------------------------------------------

I find Elend to be a frustrating character. At first I just thought him naive and idealistic. He was too "goody" and too honest. No one survives in politics being that nice.

But Sanderson is building him up for a purpose and a major theme of this trilogy seems to be the concept of Trust. Vin, who trusted no one in the beginning under the instruction of her brother, eventually in that book learns to trust the "crew." In this book, it is she and Elend learning to trust in each other. Elend may be just a catalist for her development or he may evolve into the ideal leader -- the philosopher king. I think my judgment is still in suspension at this point in the story. I will have to wait until the next book to see where he goes.

Message Edited by Nadine on 05-11-2009 09:19 PM

What happens if he ends up being "The Hero" it seems possible at this point because now he is a Mistborn and we don't know exactly what this metal was, so could he be something more? Just something I was thinking about.

**SPOILERS*** 

In the epilogue they imply that this is how the Nobles were given the Mistborn abilities.

pg 763

'"Mistborn, apparently," he {Elend} continued.

"I think...we know where they came from, now," Vin said. "The first Allomancers."

BUT I do believe that he will be as go as Vin or even better.  From what OreSeur said to Vin when she pushed on his emotions.

pg 492

'He shook his head, crawling off the bed. "You shouldn't even have been able to do it. There are strange things about you, Mistress--you are like the Allomancers of old, before the passage of generations dulled their powers."'

Could they (Elend and Vin) be the powers to wrecken with???

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Melhay wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

What happens if he ends up being "The Hero" it seems possible at this point because now he is a Mistborn and we don't know exactly what this metal was, so could he be something more? Just something I was thinking about.

**SPOILERS*** 

In the epilogue they imply that this is how the Nobles were given the Mistborn abilities.

pg 763

'"Mistborn, apparently," he {Elend} continued.

"I think...we know where they came from, now," Vin said. "The first Allomancers."

BUT I do believe that he will be as go as Vin or even better.  From what OreSeur said to Vin when she pushed on his emotions.

pg 492

'He shook his head, crawling off the bed. "You shouldn't even have been able to do it. There are strange things about you, Mistress--you are like the Allomancers of old, before the passage of generations dulled their powers."'

Could they (Elend and Vin) be the powers to wrecken with???

Hi Melhay I guess we are on at the same time tonight LOL!

Well it does say that it's a "Force" that is the Hero so maybe it'll be both? I do think that they will be something spectacular in the next book!

Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-12-2009 10:20 PM
Bibliophile
Melhay

I have some more questions on the Kandra (which with book 2 I have truly grown to love also).

We know they are not able to use Allomancy, but what about Feruchemy?  That part of the question I don't remember being asked or mentioned about.  Allomancy I remember the conversation but not really on Feruchemy.

Now it was mentioned but I don't think the answers were ever given.

How do Mistborns hunt the Kandras?

How do the Mistborns Kill the Kandras?  How can they be killed?

***SPOILER***

I know that the Mistborns can take control of the kandra but would that help them to hunt them? 

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

I have some more questions on the Kandra (which with book 2 I have truly grown to love also).

We know they are not able to use Allomancy, but what about Feruchemy?  That part of the question I don't remember being asked or mentioned about.  Allomancy I remember the conversation but not really on Feruchemy.

***SPOILER***

I know that the Mistborns can take control of the kandra but would that help them to hunt them? 

It didn't say how they killed them did it? That is a very good question Mel! I don't think any of this was answered in this book.
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

carmen22 wrote:

Melhay wrote:

***SPOILER***

It didn't say how they killed them did it? That is a very good question Mel! I don't think any of this was answered in this book.

I don't think by the questions left open that we have seen or heard the last from the Kandra.  Which personally I hope not.  They really add a different flavor to the mix and I like it!!

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Melhay wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

Melhay wrote:

***SPOILER***

I don't think by the questions left open that we have seen or heard the last from the Kandra.  Which personally I hope not.  They really add a different flavor to the mix and I like it!!

I really hope not to Mel, they are so fascinating! And the Koloss' I hope they return as well, if just to see what becomes of them.
Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-12-2009 10:53 PM
Bibliophile
Melhay

[ Edited ]

Carmen - it is cool we are on the same time.  It really makes for fun conversations.:smileyhappy:

***SPOILER*** 

What about the Terris people that were on their way to Luthadel for help, and looking for Tindwyl to take charge since the Synod is gone?

I was wondering if Sazed will take the leadership position that had become available for him.  He is not that kind of character.  He seems to enjoy helping with his friends and researching.

Maybe these people, OH..... just had a thought...

Is the Terris people in the North???  Could that be what the Mist Spirit was pointing to?  Maybe these people will have some knowledge to help with everything?

Elend, Vin, and Spook were on there way to travel there for information and with the book.  So maybe they will have to go there and check on the distruction.

Oooohhh, Is that why the Steel Inquisitors went to Terris and destroyed the people?  They knew or had something they want hidden.  The Well creature knows of something there?

Am I stretching to far???

Message Edited by Melhay on 05-12-2009 10:42 PM

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Melhay wrote:

Carmen - it is cool we are on the same time.  It really makes for fun conversations.:smileyhappy:

***SPOILER*** 

What about the Terris people that were on their way to Luthadel for help, and looking for Tindwyl to take charge since the Synod is gone?

I was wondering if Sazed will take the leadership position that had become available for him.  He is not that kind of character.  He seems to enjoy helping with his friends and researching.

Maybe these people, OH..... just had a thought...

Is the Terris people in the North???  Could that be what the Mist Spirit was pointing to?  Maybe these people will have some knowledge to help with everything?

Elend, Vin, and Spook were on there way to travel there for information and with the book.  So maybe they will have to go there and check on the destruction.

Oooohhh, Is that why the Steel Inquisitors went to Terris and destroyed the people?  They knew or had something they want hidden.  The Well creature knows of something there?

Am I stretching to far???

Message Edited by Melhay on 05-12-2009 10:42 PM

No, I don't think you are stretching to far! Those are excellent thoughts! That is very possible. There must be something there.

I think and hope that Sazed is going to play a major part in the next one. For some reason I'm still thinking and kind of wanting him to be the Hero, I just like him.

Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-12-2009 10:52 PM
Bibliophile
Melhay

carmen22 wrote:

I think and hope that Sazed is going to play a major part in the next one. For some reason I'm still thinking and kind of wanting him to be the Hero, I just like him.

I do hope Sazed plays a big role also.  I like him very much along with Elend.  Sazed is another one that wants to help everyone all the time and is in his own way nieve and caring.  He is one of the ones with the biggest hearts in the book.  He cares for more that just his friends, he wants the best for everyone also.

I have really fallen for Elend.  I like the idealist and honesty in him.  I liked him in book 1 and wanted to see him more then.  As much as people all thought badly of him or said he was a spoiled brat that plays with people, I thought him and Vin truly had something natural and I believed him when he was with Vin.  Even when he was in his "mans" meeting he seemed genuine.

In the second book I still really liked him.  Actually, I was scared the whole way through the book that Sanderson was going to kill him off.  I do have to agree with Elend at one point in the book that he can be himself and a powerful King as Tindwyl was trying to make him.  I even lik how he can NOT play the games as the other leaders do, he uses truth on his side, though sometimes it seemed to hurt him more than anything else.  I think this honesty is the part that stands him apart from the other house heads andhis compation for the people, skaa and all as one.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22

[ Edited ]

Melhay wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

I do hope Sazed plays a big role also.  I like him very much along with Elend.  Sazed is another one that wants to help everyone all the time and is in his own way naive and caring.  He is one of the ones with the biggest hearts in the book.  He cares for more that just his friends, he wants the best for everyone also.

I have really fallen for Elend.  I like the idealist and honesty in him.  I liked him in book 1 and wanted to see him more then.  As much as people all thought badly of him or said he was a spoiled brat that plays with people, I thought him and Vin truly had something natural and I believed him when he was with Vin.  Even when he was in his "mans" meeting he seemed genuine.

In the second book I still really liked him.  Actually, I was scared the whole way through the book that Sanderson was going to kill him off.  I do have to agree with Elend at one point in the book that he can be himself and a powerful King as Tindwyl was trying to make him.  I even lik how he can NOT play the games as the other leaders do, he uses truth on his side, though sometimes it seemed to hurt him more than anything else.  I think this honesty is the part that stands him apart from the other house heads andhis compation for the people, skaa and all as one.

Yes, I liked Elend to. Sanderson developed him well in this book. Elend and Vins relationship was interesting and felt real, to me. They had insecurities and worries about one another but they loved each other no matter what. I think, in this book he has made Elend a stronger character and wouldn't be surprised if he ends up the Hero. 
Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-12-2009 11:20 PM
Inspired Scribe
carmen22

[ Edited ]

I have to go now Melhay but maybe tomorrow, I think, we should all talk about the actual war it's an interesting, crazy and exciting part! So much happened!

***Spoiler****

I forgot to add in the post above that I felt so bad for Sazed when Tindwyl died. This part is part of the War though, so we can come back to it later.

Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-12-2009 11:23 PM
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

carmen22 wrote:

I have to go now Melhay but maybe tomorrow, I think, we should all talk about the actual war it's an interesting, crazy and exciting part! So much happened!

***Spoiler****

I forgot to add in the post above that I felt so bad for Sazed when Tindwyl died. This part is part of the War though, so we can come back to it later.

Krista, this sounds good.  I had to go at the same time as you last night.  I will be back on tonight and we can discuss the war, sounds great.  Maybe Nadine and Bri and others will have comments too.

I also felt horrible for Sazed about Tindwyl, they finally face their feelings and then that happens.  Aweful...

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

***Spoiler****

Krista, this sounds good.  I had to go at the same time as you last night.  I will be back on tonight and we can discuss the war, sounds great.  Maybe Nadine and Bri and others will have comments too.

I also felt horrible for Sazed about Tindwyl, they finally face their feelings and then that happens.  Aweful...

Cool Mel!

Nadine and Bri does this sound good to you to? I know we have to give you some time to input on what we already have so if you want to wait another day that would be okay to.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

carmen22 wrote:

Melhay wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

***Spoiler****

Cool Mel!

Nadine and Bri does this sound good to you to? I know we have to give you some time to input on what we already have so if you want to wait another day that would be okay to.

Don't wait on me. I'm only up to post #7 on responding to the early posts, haven't put in a lot of stuff I've been accumulating, or really post too many of my own observations yet. I might start responding to some of the posts in reverse chronological order so I can keep current.

Hey, this is good!