Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension: Atrium

Melhay wrote:

Nadine wrote:

Melhay wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

Melhay wrote:

***SPOILERS***

Was the Lord Rulers Atium ever found?  I don't think it was but I may have missed that in the exciting end of the book.

Could the Atium have been used as a form of 'payment' for keeping the mists away?  Or, the Inquisitor which was seen around Kredik Shaw have taken it?

No, they never did find the Atium in this book and they have no idea where it could have gone. But you have a good idea about the "payment" thing. Here's an idea, if the Lord Ruler did use this Well of power up before how did it fill back up, do you think it could be the Atium(payment)?

This could be stretching a little far but what kind of metal do you think the Spikes in the Inquisitors are made of?

Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-15-2009 10:41 PM

Have you been reading my questions/notes?  I was wondering that exact question, so no you aren't stretching to far. 

I was wondering if that is part of what makes them so good at their jobs.  I also wonder if that metal in the pottery, the one that makes you an allomancer is used to make a Steel Inquisitor be able to use all metals?  Remember when Marsh went into the order he was only able to burn one metal.  The Steel Inquisitors don't 'burn' metals now with the spikes.  Doesn't it appear that this metal that makes one an Allomancer seem to be all gone?  The book speaks of how all the pottery is broken.  I think this clay, pottery is the form the metal comes in.  Kind of like the Atium comes in their stone out side.

I always just thought the spikes were made of "steel" hence the name Steel Inquisitor, but now I question that thought.

I'm still working my way through all the postings but trying to respond to the most recent ones as well, so I might not be up-to-date on everything. I might end up repeating something here.

I don't know if Inquisitors are Allomancer in the traditional Mistborn powers. The Terris people use Ferunchemy (?) but I think the Inquisitors use something called Hemelurgy (?). I don't remember now if I read that in Brandon's notes or early in the book. I don't have any idea of what the spikes do for them except make them look scary. The trivia idea that sleeping must be most uncomfortable with all those spikes keeps occupying my mind. :smileywink:

I found in book 1 just a little on the spikes.

pg 637 Marsh is talking with Vin.

"Does that... hurt, Marsh?" she asked. "The spikes, I mean?"

He paused. "Yes. All eleven of them...throb. The pain reacts to my emotions somehow."

"Eleven?" Vin asked with shock.

Marsh nodded. "Two in the head, eight in the chest, one in the back to seal them together. That's the only way to kill an Inquisitor--you have to separate the top spikes from the bottom ones. Kell did it through the beheading, but it's easier to just pull out the middle spike."

Now that I think on it, Marsh was called Iron eyes but they didn't like it because it resembled the Steel Inquisitor name.  Could all the spikes be different metals?  This would give them the ability to use all the metals but not have to burn them (like Allomancy) or pull from them (like Feruchemisy)?  Could this be another way to use the metals?

Maybe I am wrong on the way the Inquisitors use the metals.  In post #118 Nadine has posted what Sanderson thinks on one flaring Pewter hitting one just burning pewter.  I guess the Inquisitors do burn metals after all. 

I did not think that because they are always using them to get around on a normal basis.  Remember when the Inquisitor came into the building-in-a-building and Sanderson writes how he sees the metal dots, not shapes and things like we normally do.  When she throw up the pewter dust the Inquisitor couldn't make her out mixed with all the metals in the air.

What do you all think?  Do they burn metal or not?

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension

Off topic

I have been a Wordsmith forever! Suddenly, yesterday I got promoted to "Inspired Wordsmith."  I thought then that I could start giving out two laurels at a time instead of the puny one I'm allowed. But no, apparently you have to be a "Distinguished Wordsmith" for that. Now less than 24 hours later I have skipped "Distinguished Wordsmith' and now have been promoted to Scribe. But I now can give out two laurels at a time! Before I know it I will be Lord Ruler, then watch out! :smileyvery-happy:

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

Off topic

I have been a Wordsmith forever! Suddenly, yesterday I got promoted to "Inspired Wordsmith."  I thought then that I could start giving out two laurels at a time instead of the puny one I'm allowed. But no, apparently you have to be a "Distinguished Wordsmith" for that. Now less than 24 hours later I have skipped "Distinguished Wordsmith' and now have been promoted to Scribe. But I now can give out two laurels at a time! Before I know it I will be Lord Ruler, then watch out! :smileyvery-happy:

Congratulations!!!  :smileyhappy:

How did you jump to scribe so fast?  I have been a Distinguished Wordsmith for some time now, I am waiting to move on to the next step.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Nadine
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

Nadine wrote:

Off topic

How did you jump to scribe so fast?  I have been a Distinguished Wordsmith for some time now, I am waiting to move on to the next step.

Carmen just made Scribe as well! Contradulations Carmen!!!

The only thing different I can think of is that I started putting in tags yesterday but I haven't put in that many. Carmen just about tagged our whole Mistborn #2 thread but I don't know when she was promoted. But I think you and Carmen have been tagging all along. So I don't think that is it. They may have changed the "promotion" program. I remember I skyrocked within a short period of time to Wordsmith.

I haven't checked in with The Kingdom of Wordsmithonia in in awhile. Maybe Ryan knows. He has the awe inspiring rank of "Inspired Bibliophile." He can give out three laurels at a time!

Nadine

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension: Mist Spirit

I'm trying to tidy things up and get all the relevant comments up before I move on to Book #3. I know there were relevant posts on some of these topics and have been trying to find them to keep them somewhat together but I'm not being too successful.

More of Brandon's comments on what we can look forward to in Book #3

Chapter 57

Sazed In Charge of the City

Sazed's in charge here. There's one small problem with that. Sazed's not very good at leadership.

It's not his fault. He just doesn't have the skillset for it. Unlike Elend, who had a buried desire to lead--and the skills to become a king, if he learned how to use them--Sazed just wants to be a quiet scholar. We saw this when he gathered the crew and couldn't keep them from arguing. We see it again here.

He's much more in his element when he looks through the book he wrote with Tindwyl. Though, of course, losing her is starting to hit him pretty hard. He keeps wavering back in forth emotionally, and that's intentional. He is confused, and doesn't know what to do.

Here's another Couple of things we'll find answers to in book three:

How Vin drew on the mists, and why she could do it.

Why she can feel the pulsing of the Well and nobody else can.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
   Hey Nadine, we are Scribes now!!! You know what I think it's because we started using those tags, too. I never really used them that much, maybe three times or so. So, Mel, just start tagging some posts and you'll move up faster. I read somewhere in the community room (written by JonB, the boss guy) that not just one thing makes your rank go up but all of it combined - tags, threads started, posts, laurels received and laurels given. Anyway I'm glad you can give out two now, a few more ranks and we will be able to give out three:smileywink: :smileyvery-happy:!!!
Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-16-2009 09:49 PM
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

Here's another Couple of things we'll find answers to in book three:

How Vin drew on the mists, and why she could do it.

Why she can feel the pulsing of the Well and nobody else can.

Basically, we need to get started on book three to find all our answers :smileyvery-happy:!

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension: Atrium

[ Edited ]

Melhay wrote:

I found in book 1 just a little on the spikes.

pg 637 Marsh is talking with Vin.

"Does that... hurt, Marsh?" she asked. "The spikes, I mean?"

He paused. "Yes. All eleven of them...throb. The pain reacts to my emotions somehow."

"Eleven?" Vin asked with shock.

Marsh nodded. "Two in the head, eight in the chest, one in the back to seal them together. That's the only way to kill an Inquisitor--you have to separate the top spikes from the bottom ones. Kell did it through the beheading, but it's easier to just pull out the middle spike."

Now that I think on it, Marsh was called Iron eyes but they didn't like it because it resembled the Steel Inquisitor name.  Could all the spikes be different metals?  This would give them the ability to use all the metals but not have to burn them (like Allomancy) or pull from them (like Feruchemisy)?  Could this be another way to use the metals?

Maybe I am wrong on the way the Inquisitors use the metals.  In post #118 Nadine has posted what Sanderson thinks on one flaring Pewter hitting one just burning pewter.  I guess the Inquisitors do burn metals after all. 

I did not think that because they are always using them to get around on a normal basis.  Remember when the Inquisitor came into the building-in-a-building and Sanderson writes how he sees the metal dots, not shapes and things like we normally do.  When she throw up the pewter dust the Inquisitor couldn't make her out mixed with all the metals in the air.

What do you all think?  Do they burn metal or not?

Good question, Mel! Do you think they burn those metal bars? Maybe they are made out of all the metals like Nadine suggested. The thing is, we were never in the Inquisitors heads, so we don't know if they have to drink metals or not. We really just don't know that much about or how these Inquisitors work yet, but I  think they do have a big part to play in The Hero Of Ages!

Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-16-2009 09:23 PM
Nadine

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension: Ending Spoilers

Ending Spoilers

The Well of Ascension

More notes from Brandon. We might want to refer to these as we move onto the next book.

Chapt 57

Vin Goes to Kredik Shaw

Originally, the Well of Ascension WAS in the mountains. That's the big reason for the rewrite of the ending. This section of the book felt TOO disjointed with the rest of the novel, and I felt that I needed to move the Well to Luthadel. That way, the fight for the city meant something--and I didn't have to send Vin out, have her come back, then send her north yet again.

It works far better this way. Of course, I had to do some major rewriting--and I had to explain why the Well isn't in the mountains. But, in this case, fixing one thing gave me motivation for fixing something else. I had worried about how easy it was to find the Well, and how difficult it would be to take Vin and Elend into the mountains to find it. All very awkward. Both the history and the current story work much better when I decided to have the Lord Ruler have moved the Well down and put his city on top of it.

Battle for Luthadel

Chapt 51

This book IS about the Well, but it's also about Luthadel and the politics there. Though the book is named after the Well, I feel that the Siege of Luthadel is actually the primary story.
========================

I thought we had a sub-thread on the Battle of Luthadel but I couldn't find it. I don't remember if we ever got around to talking about it. Oh, well. On to the next book. I'm going to start Book #3 Sunday but I still a few more tidbits to post.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

Off topic

I have been a Wordsmith forever! Suddenly, yesterday I got promoted to "Inspired Wordsmith." I thought then that I could start giving out two laurels at a time instead of the puny one I'm allowed. But no, apparently you have to be a "Distinguished Wordsmith" for that. Now less than 24 hours later I have skipped "Distinguished Wordsmith' and now have been promoted to Scribe. But I now can give out two laurels at a time! Before I know it I will be Lord Ruler, then watch out! :smileyvery-happy:

Nadine:
Do you feel any different now?

Paul 
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Nadine wrote:

Off topic

The only thing different I can think of is that I started putting in tags yesterday but I haven't put in that many. Carmen just about tagged our whole Mistborn #2 thread but I don't know when she was promoted. But I think you and Carmen have been tagging all along. So I don't think that is it. They may have changed the "promotion" program. I remember I skyrocked within a short period of time to Wordsmith.

I haven't checked in with The Kingdom of Wordsmithonia in in awhile. Maybe Ryan knows. He has the awe inspiring rank of "Inspired Bibliophile." He can give out three laurels at a time!

Guys:

I believe the status of users is a combination of number of posts coupled with how many of your posts have been given laurels... Quantity and quality!   :smileyhappy:

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

tags

Also (I hate to ruin this thread with tangential stuff!) but here's the thread about tags and how to use them, in case you're still not 100% sure...   :smileyhappy:

Paul

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board/message?board.id=CR&thread.id=12960&jump=true

Inspired Scribe
carmen22

[ Edited ]

paulgoatallen wrote:

Guys:

I believe the status of users is a combination of number of posts coupled with how many of your posts have been given laurels... Quantity and quality!   :smileyhappy:

Paul 

Paul,

Just to let you know I think it's a combination of every thing. In the community room we had a thread about all the new stuff, how to use them and what people thought about them, a lot of controversy. Anyway, JonB the boss guy said that it's not just one or two things that make your rank go up but all of it combined - Tags, threads started, number of posts, laurels received and laurels given.

Carmen

Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-17-2009 11:05 AM
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nadine wrote:

Ending Spoilers

The Well of Ascension

More notes from Brandon. We might want to refer to these as we move onto the next book.

Chapt 57

Vin Goes to Kredik Shaw

Originally, the Well of Ascension WAS in the mountains. That's the big reason for the rewrite of the ending. This section of the book felt TOO disjointed with the rest of the novel, and I felt that I needed to move the Well to Luthadel. That way, the fight for the city meant something--and I didn't have to send Vin out, have her come back, then send her north yet again.

It works far better this way. Of course, I had to do some major rewriting--and I had to explain why the Well isn't in the mountains. But, in this case, fixing one thing gave me motivation for fixing something else. I had worried about how easy it was to find the Well, and how difficult it would be to take Vin and Elend into the mountains to find it. All very awkward. Both the history and the current story work much better when I decided to have the Lord Ruler have moved the Well down and put his city on top of it.

Battle for Luthadel

Chapt 51

This book IS about the Well, but it's also about Luthadel and the politics there. Though the book is named after the Well, I feel that the Siege of Luthadel is actually the primary story.
========================

I thought we had a sub-thread on the Battle of Luthadel but I couldn't find it. I don't remember if we ever got around to talking about it. Oh, well. On to the next book. I'm going to start Book #3 Sunday but I still a few more tidbits to post.

I think you did post something else about the battle. I'll look for it and tag it, if I find it that is. Anyway, I was going to ask if you were starting your book today and I guess I know now :smileyvery-happy:. I have another book I'm finishing up and then I'll either start The Hero Of Ages today or tomorrow.
Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-17-2009 11:19 AM
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

There was one other post on the battle "The Battle Begins" Anno. By Brandon anyway I taged both of the posts entitled "Battle".
Nadine
0 Kudos

I'm going to start today. I've got lots of unanswered questions from the last book.

A few more tidbits from Brandon. Too bad he didn't do this for The Hero of Ages.

Chapt 58

Ruin Escapes

So, yes. The crew has been manipulated. Everyone's been manipulated for a good thousand years. By this thing wanting to be released.

You'll find out more in the next chapter, but realize here that most everything about the traditions from the old days--the prophesies, all of that--has been manipulated.

============================================

Oh, that is good to know! And we have been manipulated as well then!!!

Well, we probably came away from this book with more questions than answers. However, I have found that our close readings of these books helps me appreciate the finer points the authors are developing and trying to make. I understand and enjoy the books a lot more than if I had read through just for the plot. You folks are a great discussion crew. I hope we attract more readers and participants for the next book.

Nadine
0 Kudos

Brandon wrote:

Chapt 58

Vin Gives up the Power

Writing toward this scene where Vin would have to take the power, then give it up, was one of my focuses in this novel. I had to get her, as a character, to a point where she'd be able to do something this gut-wrenching.

It was extremely cruel of me. And yet, there's a beauty to being cruel like this to characters. (It's why George R. R. Martin is a genius.) I plotted out this particular plot element from the beginning of the first book, as I wanted to not only upend some fantasy tropes in the series, but approach them from a post-modern perspective. If people are so powerfully motivated by the concept of prophesy and religion, then what better way would there be for a force like Ruin to manipulate them than to use that sensibility against them? In many ways, Book One was my look at the concept of the Dark Lord in fantasy fiction while Book Two is my look at the concept of prophesy as used by fantasy. (Book three is my look at the concept of the hero.) [Highlighting mine]

Deleted Scene

Originally, by the way, this cavern was discovered up in the mountains after Vin, Elend, and Spook traipsed through the snow for a while. Yeah. I know. This works so much better. I'll go ahead and post that as a deleted scene, but don't think too poorly of me. Sometimes, you try things in your books that just don't work. You can't be afraid to experiment, however.

Nadine
0 Kudos

And finally Brandon's final words on this book. I have posted all he has to say about the Epilogue because I think it is all important especially going into The Hero of Ages.

All of Epilogue

And so, the circle is complete. Sazed returns to the south and visits the Conventical again, Elend returns to the city wall.

Hopefully, I revealed this well enough for you to understand what you need to in order to make this book work. There are a lot of holes, I know. I've already apologized for that--we'll answer all of them in book three.

For now, understand that something was imprisoned, and it hijacked the Terris religion--the prophesies--and used the Well of Ascension to get free.

Book three is about the real theme of these books. Survival. It's going to be a tough road. [My highlights]

As a wrap up, I guess I'll say that for me, this book was about Vin and Elend testing and proving their standards. In the beginning, they both made certain determinations about themselves and what they wanted to accomplish. Elend intended to make a good government and not be an exception to his own rules.

Vin intended to love the good, kind man of Elend rather than the man of the street--the hard, strict man that was Kelsier. (See Chapter Ten, where Vin snuggles in the chair with Elend, for an in-dialogue outline of her belief system for this book. This is the offering of the challenge. The trial comes later.) They are both tested, then, in these assertions--Elend by losing his throne, Vin by being forced to take a long hard look at her own heart and what she really wanted. To her, Zane represented the past. Did she return to that, or did she look forward to the hope--and the future--that Elend represented?

They both hold strong. That's the true victory of this book. The release of Ruin disregarded, this book marks great success for the characters. They were tested in their absolute most vital of personal convictions, and they passed. This prepared them for the final book. Now that they'd proven their ideals, they could bear the weights and griefs of the empire.

Of course, there is also Sazed. One of my goals in writing this book was to fix Elend and Vin. But another big one was to break Sazed. While they held firm to who they were, he has been forced to reassess his convictions, and he finds them wanting. Chapter fifty-four was one of the saddest chapters for me, personally, to write. In many ways, Elend and Vin have nearly completed their arcs as characters. But Sazed and Spook have just begun. And that is what leads us into Book Three. [highlights mine.]

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nadine wrote:

I'm going to start today. I've got lots of unanswered questions from the last book.

A few more tidbits from Brandon. Too bad he didn't do this for The Hero of Ages.

Chapt 58

Ruin Escapes

So, yes. The crew has been manipulated. Everyone's been manipulated for a good thousand years. By this thing wanting to be released.

You'll find out more in the next chapter, but realize here that most everything about the traditions from the old days--the prophesies, all of that--has been manipulated.

============================================

Oh, that is good to know! And we have been manipulated as well then!!!

Well, we probably came away from this book with more questions than answers. However, I have found that our close readings of these books helps me appreciate the finer points the authors are developing and trying to make. I understand and enjoy the books a lot more than if I had read through just for the plot. You folks are a great discussion crew. I hope we attract more readers and participants for the next book.

This is fun, Nadine!  You have been a big help with putting up all those Anno. of Brandons and those make me apperciate him even more. He took the time to go through everything to help his readers get into and understand his world a little better. I have enjoyed these discussions with you guys alot too and it would definitely be cool if others join in.  

Carmen 

Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-17-2009 12:34 PM
Inspired Scribe
carmen22

[ Edited ]

Nadine wrote:

Of course, there is also Sazed. One of my goals in writing this book was to fix Elend and Vin. But another big one was to break Sazed. While they held firm to who they were, he has been forced to reassess his convictions, and he finds them wanting. Chapter fifty-four was one of the saddest chapters for me, personally, to write. In many ways, Elend and Vin have nearly completed their arcs as characters. But Sazed and Spook have just begun. And that is what leads us into Book Three. [highlights mine.]

We never did talk about Spook did we? Well, I was thinking that maybe Spook was going to be a bigger part in this book but Brandon kind of kept him in the shadows making him a mysterious person. I was also wondering about him squinting and Vin telling him and thinking that he was burning his Tin to high? Brandon usually puts things like this in there for a reason and this is really the thing he concentrated on about Spook, it was said or thought about three times, I believe. I had completely forgotten about this part that made me want to ask that question about Spook until you posted this Ann., Nadine (see they are a big help):smileywink:! I wonder what's going to happen to Spook maybe he is the Hero? LOL!! Do any of you have an Idea or thought of who you think The Hero might be at this point?

Me, I'm not sure, but since one clue we have says it will be a "Force" maybe it will be all of them? But if I had to pick one person I think I would have to say Sazed. It just seems to me that since all this started with the Terris people and the "Well" was actually there at one point, either it will be a Terris person or they are going to have to find what they need in Terris. That's what I'm thinking anyway. What about you guys?

Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-17-2009 12:59 PM