Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension

Nadine wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

The Hero Of Ages is awesome and I'm only on like chapter three, crazy!!!

-----------------------------

I agree! Have you noticed he is writing this one more like George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire? He alternates chapters among his six major focus characters and their POV. Each one has a twist of plot, some quite unexpected. The only thing different is that he doesn't name his chapters for the POV character, so I have started writing the names on them for reference. I won't name the six major POV characters now since they are definitely spoilers. And yes, he is answering all our questions and inventing whole new stuff.

This is a real page-turner. I couldn't put it down last night and I'm up to Chapter 26. Not bad for a slow reader. But I have to put it aside for the next few days. :smileysad:

I have a big sign stuck in my book at our breaking point "Thou shall not pass!" (LOTR)

Chapter 26 Nadine WOW! That doesn't sound like a slow reader to me! Yes, this book is a total page turner!!
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine

An interesting idea that I haven't really contimplated. Don't worry about any slight inconsistancies. Remember this parting statement from Brandon:
---------------------------------
Chapt 58

Ruin Escapes

So, yes. The crew has been manipulated. Everyone's been manipulated for a good thousand years. By this thing wanting to be released.

You'll find out more in the next chapter, but realize here that most everything about the traditions from the old days--the prophesies, all of that--has been manipulated.
---------------------------
Even into Book three, I haven't a clue as to how it is all going to turn out. But I expect som BIG surprises!

Melhay wrote:

Krista, I think you had asked who we thought was the Lord Ruler.  I have thought on this question before I start the next book and wanted to just comment on it.  Bare with me here.

Part of me thinks the Lord Ruler could still be Alendi.  But then I remember the Lord Ruler was able to do Feruchemy.  Since you are able to get Allomancy from an ingested metal you would have had to have Feruchemy first.  (or how do you get Feruchemy other than heireditary through Terrismen?)

But, what about Kwaan?!?  Alendi would have trusted him enough, before he turned on Alendi, to tell Kwaan where the thumps were coming from.  Kwaan knew what the danger was if Alendi took the power and released it.  Kwaan knew Alendi was a good person and believing for the good of the people would release it.  What if Kwaan got there first?  He would have protected Alendi and the people, by taking the power and not releasing it...  Maybe this is the connection with the steel log at the Seel Inquisitors library also.

I was looking at the bumps in book 1 to compare to.  I am only going to pull a line from them to go with my thoughts.

Ch. 1 "bump"

I consider myself to be a man of principle. 

- Mostly this could be anyone but the person Kwaan is I think he would say this.

Ch 1 "bump"

Perhaps another person, reading of my life, would name me a religious tyrant.

Ch 19 "bump" (background of when Alendi & Kwaan met)

He never had an air of ceremonious wisdom nor was he even a religious scholar.

- What if he isn't a tyrant that rules with religion, but is one against religion...

Ch 19 "bump"

When we first met, he was studing of his ridiculous interests in the great Khlenni library-I believe he was trying to determine whether or not trees could think.

Ch 1 "bump"

But, what man does not?....

...What is to make that man's opinion any less valid than my own?

- Kwaan was the type to ask hypothetical questions when Alendi met him.  Could these fall in that category?

Ch 19 "bump"

Kwaan and I met by happestance-though, I suppose, he would use the work "providence."

- Providence means divine guidance or care.  Kwaan not being religious yet thinking Alendi was guided to him by some god, for some reason.  Kwaan could have stepped up to do what he thought he had to do.

___

But then, I look at the logbook from book 1, which is written in the first person and naming Kwaan by name.  So maybe these thoughts are wrong.  Who knows???

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

When are we going to do Elantis in June?  With stopping in book 3 on May 31, discussing for 5 days then finishing.  That may put us around the 10th or 11th.  Are we going to jump into Elantis?

I have a few books I thought of looking into for June also. (Any time in the month)  I'm not sure about

Pisstown Chaos    by David Ohle

and

Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey.

I just want to look into them and think on if I want to get them for the June discussions.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Nadine

Re: Mistborn #2: Sanderson Marathon

Sanderson Marathon

The Hero of Ages

If you haven't read both The Final Empire or The Well of Ascension you can still read The Hero of Ages as a stand-alone book. Sanderson usually puts in enough back-story to fill you in on the events leading up to the next book. Sanderson has also provided his own summaries of the two books in the back of The Hero of Ages. Worth reading even if you have read the two books since he tends to point out the events that are most relevant in moving forward to the current book.

Sanderson has also provided a fantastic list of "Names and Terms" that come up in the series. Definitely worth reading even for us "experts". I found it clarified a lot of things for me and in some cases was a revelation. New readers will probably only want to reference it as needed. There is also a nice table summarizing 14 of the metals and what they do for the three separate "enhancing" systems -- Allomatic, Feruchemical and Hemalurgic powers. Each power uses them differently. The Hemalurgic powers might be of particular interest to us readers because we knew so little about how the Inquisitors used the metals. They seem to be used primarily for stealing powers from the other two.

I will put up The Hero of Ages thread on either May 30 or 31. (OK!! Raise your hand when you get to our break point and we might move up that date if everyone is ready.) We will only be reading and discussing through to Part Five "Trust" (at chapter 59) for about five days. Then we will take a break on Friday and finish reading the book over the weekend. There are about 140 pages in that final segment. The following week we will talk about the ending and give our overall opinions about this final book and the series as a whole.

Elantris

As the next step of our Sanderson Marathon, we will take up his first novel -- Elantris.  That will be around mid-June. Right now I will probably put that thread up around June 13-14. I think we should consider taking the same approach -- read and discuss to a breaking point for the first five days, take a break to finish the novel, and then come back and finish our discussion.

Warbreaker

Then it will be on to Warbreaker which will be our official board book for July and will feature Paul's special guest Brandon Sanderson, in person, to discuss this and other books of his. Warbreaker will be released on June 7.

Whew!!!

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

When are we going to do Elantis in June?  With stopping in book 3 on May 31, discussing for 5 days then finishing.  That may put us around the 10th or 11th.  Are we going to jump into Elantis?

I have a few books I thought of looking into for June also. (Any time in the month)  I'm not sure about

Pisstown Chaos    by David Ohle

and

I just want to look into them and think on if I want to get them for the June discussions.

I know I looked at the Pisstown Chaos and thought it looked okay. I have to go now so I'll come back later and read more about them and let you know what I think then.

Krista

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

carmen22 wrote:

Maybe Nadine or Paul has read them and they'll let us know if they liked it or not? Anyway, the Movie was really good thats why I wanted to look into the book! Your right though before long our list will be crazy but really we only have The Hero Ages and Elantris  to get to right now since Warbreaker isn't out yet. But we have time or at least I do I'm not in any Rush or anything just adding to my TBR pile :smileywink:!

Surprisingly enough, I have not read any of the His Dark Materials books. I know quite a few people who have and they speak highly of the trilogy – it's supposed to be relatively dense thematically (which is great for a "YA" saga) and I remember numerous comments about it being extremely cynical of organized religion.

I have also heard that the movie  does not do the books justice and that are entire thematic threads taken out...

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

paulgoatallen wrote:

Surprisingly enough, I have not read any of the His Dark Materials books. I know quite a few people who have and they speak highly of the trilogy – it's supposed to be relatively dense thematically (which is great for a "YA" saga) and I remember numerous comments about it being extremely cynical of organized religion.

I have also heard that the movie  does not do the books justice and that are entire thematic threads taken out...

Paul 

Thank you, Paul! I didn't know it was YA I had just passed them by in the Fantasy section, interesting.  Anyway, I'm going to go ahead and try them out.

Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-18-2009 02:44 PM
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

carmen22 wrote:

I was wondering though if anyone has read The Golden Compass

His Dark Materials  by Philip Pullman and if so is it any good? 

Yes. It's ok. The movie's pretty good, it'll actually make you like the protagonist better.

Nadine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Melhay wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

Melhay wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

The Hero Of Ages is awesome and I'm only on like chapter three, crazy!!!

I was wondering though if anyone has read The Golden Compass series by Philip Pullman and if so is it any good? 

I have not read or even seen the movie of these.  I have looked at it a couple of times but have had other books on the list first.

Thanks, Mel!  I watched the movie and thought it was really good and interesting, at the time I didn't know it was a book. So, I think I'm going to give it a go before the other movies come out. Usually I like to read the books before the movies. Well, if you guys want we can read it together if not that's cool to but I'm going to go ahead and order it.

Krista

Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-18-2009 11:34 AM

Maybe we could read it.  I heard from many people the movie was really good.  I would only think the book would be better!!  (or hope anyway)

We are going to end up with all sorts of books in our list before to long...:smileywink:

I haven't seen the movie but maybe I will order it through Netflix. I'm game.

I haven't thought much beyond our Sanderson Marathon. Finding another would be great. I think one, two or three book series work well with us, especially those with a lot of "mystery" to them.

I would nominate Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind. I have read about 300 pages of that but would have to reread them for a discussion. It is the first of the Kingkiller trilogy. The problem is that the next book in the series, Wise Man's Fear, was due out a year ago, delayed, due out this past April, delayed, and most recently now for April 1010, which would be fine if it is a reality.

I think Paul now has some idea now of how we work best and maybe he could make a suggestion. Or maybe he could feature something for "the discussion group" each month. It would have to be something we haven't read and either part of a short series (maybe we would need a couple of months to do it), or something where he could feed it to us in reading chunks so we could do our discussions without knowing the end.

Message Edited by Nadine on 05-18-2009 06:00 PM
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

I was wondering though if anyone has read The Golden Compass

His Dark Materials  by Philip Pullman and if so is it any good? 

Yes. It's ok. The movie's pretty good, it'll actually make you like the protagonist better.

Thanks, Tig!

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Melhay wrote:

Hey Mel, I'm actually reading Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer Series #4)  by Karen Chance (really good) in June for the paranormal club so I'm not sure I'll be getting those others right now, sorry. I have already read the first three of this series so of course I have to finish it :smileyvery-happy:! But that Santa Olivia does look good I might try it later on.

Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-18-2009 06:38 PM
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nadine wrote:

I haven't thought much beyond our Sanderson Marathon. Finding another would be great. I think one, two or three book series work well with us, especially those with a lot of "mystery" to them.

I would nominate Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind. I have read about 300 pages of that but would have to reread them for a discussion. It is the first of the Kingkiller trilogy. The problem is that the next book in the series, Wise Man's Fear, was due out a year ago, delayed, due out this past April, delayed, and most recently now for April 1010, which would be fine if it is a reality.

I think Paul now has some idea now of how we work best and maybe he could make a suggestion. Or maybe he could feature something for "the discussion group" each month. It would have to be something we haven't read and either part of a short series (maybe we would need a couple of months to do it), or something where he could feed it to us in reading chunks so we could do our discussions without knowing the end.

The Gloden Compass is a Three part book and the main character goes on like a quest (sort of) I would love to discuss it because I went ahead and ordered it. The movie was really good to me so I'm thinking the book should be better. 

Yes, I read the Name of the Wind ( been awhile so I'd have to reread it too) and LOVED it and I wouldn't mind discussing it. I know I can't believe The Wise Man's Fear still has not come out, crazy! Or if Paul has any Ideas that would be cool to. I'm game for anything that will make for a good discussion, it's fun.

Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-18-2009 06:40 PM
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

Nadine:

I guess we're thinking on the same wavelength here – I just finished Night of Knives by Ian C. Esselmont and I was going to post you about it. 

Here's the deal – Esselmont and Steven Erikson masterminded this fantasy realm of Malaz years ago while gaming and they decided to both write novels in the realm. Erikson has been writing the Malazan Book of the Fallen since 1999 and it's up to eight volumes (projected ten). Esselmont just started writing and Night of Knives is his first novel. Anyway, Erikson's saga is M-A-S-S-I-V-E and a mind-boggingly intricate tapestry of storylines. It's a palatable blend of epic fantasy and military-powered fantasy – very cool stuff if you have the time to read through literally thousands of pages. I felt compelled to let you know about these books because it seems like these novels would be fascinating to dissect, speculate upon, etc. The only thing is that you're looking at a serious commitment here. The books are shelf-benders... 

I've read the first three or four installments and they're dense reading but I enjoyed them. 

I can probably come up with a handful of more "fitting" suggestions –  let me sift through my bookshelves.

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: Mistborn #2: Discussions after the Sanderson Marathon

carmen22 wrote:

Nadine wrote:

The Gloden Compass is a Three part book and the main character goes on like a quest (sort of) I would love to discuss it because I went ahead and ordered it. The movie was really good to me so I'm thinking the book should be better. 

Yes, I read the Name of the Wind ( been awhile so I'd have to reread it too) and LOVED it and I wouldn't mind discussing it. I know I can't believe The Wise Man's Fear still has not come out, crazy! Or if Paul has any Ideas that would be cool to. I'm game for anything that will make for a good discussion, it's fun.

Canticle by Ken Scholes will be released on October 13 so I guess we are set for that one in November. That leaves us with the August, September, and October time slot to fill.

I wouldn't mind a discussion of The Name of the Wind. There is a lot in that book. Come to think of it ---over 700 pages of stuff! I would essentially be reading that one from page one, since I would need to for a discussion and didn't finish it. But that would be fine with me. I always read these books more thoughtfully when we are going to talk about them. I think I read Lamentation three times before our monthly discussion was over.

And the Dark Materials Trilogy would be fine too. I also appreciate the fact that these books are out in paperback editions and don't cost a small fortune. We will have to wait for Mel's opinion. Also, if anyone else is interested in joining us they might make a suggestion here as well. 

I've seen several people try to get a discussion going on single books or series but not with much success. Maybe some of these are worth looking into. I'll look around later and see if I can find those old threads.

Actually, we do have plenty to do for the next couple of months, but it is nice to think ahead a bit. Some times it is good to "save" a good discussion book and wait to read it together. And we can change our minds if something better comes along.

Also, the "other place" often lists the readings of other people who liked a particular book. I may sneak over and see what the readers of Mistborn and Elantris are doing.

I changed the header on this sub-thread so we can find it again.

Nadine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well, The Name of the Wind seems to be the big first choice among readers of Mistborn and Elantris. Also, this debut trilogy by Joe Abercrombie seems pretty popular  as well. The Publishers Weekly review of the first book was not that favorable but others were. Publishers Weekly did give the second book in the series a Starred Review. However, I am the last person on this board to be judging fantasy books. I've hardly read any!

Has anybody out there in the void read these?

First Law Trilogy, Joe Abercrombie
Epic Fantasy

Debut series, in paperback, finished.

First Law #1: The Blade Itself (Sep 2007)

From Publishers Weekly
British newcomer Abercrombie fills his muddled sword-and-sorcery series opener with black humor and reluctant heroes. Logen Ninefingers, a barbarian on the run from an ex-employer who's now king of the North, finds his loyalties complicated when he switches sides and becomes a valuable source of intel to the beleaguered Union. Glokta, a torture victim turned torturer, gets roped into securing the Union's position against both the invading Northmen and the incompetent Union king and council, and ruthlessly wields his skills in attempts to weed out traitors. Foppish Jezal, a preternaturally excellent swordsman, manages to win the contest to become the Union champion, thanks to a little help from Bayaz, a mage with his own agenda. The workmanlike plot, marred by repetitive writing and an excess of torture and pain, is given over to introducing the mostly unlikable characters, only to send them off on separate paths in preparation for the next volume's adventures. (Sept.)
Copyright

Reviews
"...is a fantasy novel full of enough ironic and slightly self-deprecating humor and Scorcese-esque violence to make the average hipper than thou non-fantasy reader want to learn more about the genre (my favorite kind to convert), yet filled with enough touchstones to make your average Tolkien weaned fantasy reader quite happy indeed...just one of the great characters in a rogues gallery of fantasy archetypes with a twist, Inquisitor Glokta is one of the finest examples of a sympathetically drawn antagonist I have seen in a very long time, in a book of any genre, and some of his inner dialogue is absolutely quote-worthy...if the rest of the series is as much fun as the first bit, Pyr can gladly have my $10.... This book is highly recommended by BBT Magazine!" -- Blood Blade & Thruster Magazine, August 2007

"If you're fond of bloodless, turgid fantasy with characters as thin as newspaper and as boring as plaster saints, Joe Abercrombie is really going to ruin your day. A long career for this guy would be a gift to our genre." -- Scott Lynch, author of The Lies of Locke Lamora

"[A] highly readable fantasy that isn't going to scare off mainstream readers or newcomers to the genre....a whole banquet of violent action and intrigue." -- SFX.com

"Critics compare Abercrombie to Dickens, but come on - Dickens was never so entertaining. This intricate story just flows, carrying along barbarian fighters with real courage (and real injuries), spoiled nobles with redeeming potential, mages with disconcerting agendas... plus the most sympathetic torturer ever. The First Law trilogy: an adventure whose characters grow in tough, surprising, satisfying ways, in a gritty, exotic world that is sometimes awful, and always fascinates. Expect fast, funny dialog, and one hell of a rush." -- John Meaney, author of Paradox and Bone Song

"You'd never guess that The Blade Itself is Joe Abercrombie's debut novel. He writes like a natural. There are great characters, sparky dialogue, an action-packed plot, and from the very first words ('The End') and an opening scene that is literally a cliffhanger, you know you are in for a cheeky, vivid, exhilarating ride." -- Starburst (5 star review)

---------------------------------------------------------
First Law #2, Before They are Hanged (Mar 2008)

From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. This grim and vivid sequel to 2007's The Blade Itself transcends its middle volume status, keeping the reader engaged with complicated plotting and intriguing character development. As savage Northmen invade Angland, the northernmost province of the unwieldy Union, honorable, hard-working Union soldier Colonel West watches his notions of civilized warfare erode in one horrible battle after another. In Dagoska, a southern city threatened by Gurkish soldiers and left undefended as Union troops head to Angland, dreadfully maimed Inquisitor Glokta employs tortures and deceptions to ferret out conspiracies against the king. Ignoring these worldly concerns, disreputable magus Bayaz of Calcis drives a squabbling little band through a wasteland in search of a relic that can open a gate to the realm of demons. Abercrombie leavens the bloody action with moments of dark humor, developing a story suffused with a rich understanding of human darkness and light. (Mar.)
Copyright

Reviews
"Before They Are Hanged grabs you and drags you along." -- SFF SITE

"Before They Are Hanged is an excellent sequel from an author writing compelling, character-driven, adult fantasy, for readers who want to be entertained as well as challenged." -- SFF WORLD

"Dark, deeply ironic and full of character gems that will appeal to your cynical side, Before They Are Hanged is as brilliant as its predecessor." -- John Berlyne, SF REVU

"In my opinion, Joe Abercrombie possesses all the qualities that made David Eddings such a powerhouse during the 80s and 90s. Before They Are Hanged is a satisfying sequel which should establish Joe Abercrombie as one of the bright new voices of the genre. " -- FANTASY HOT LIST

"We're right there in the heads of these dudes, thanks to the author's style of showcasing their thoughts. His knowing turn of phrase means that situations often appear ironic, with peripheral characters verging on the Dickensian. This follow-up is crammed with unexpected betrayals, murders and liaisons, often catching us off guard." -- Dave Bradley, SFX --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
First Law #3 Last Argument of Kings (Sep 2008)

From Publishers Weekly
The sword & sorcery trilogy that began with The Blade Itself (2007) and Before They Are Hanged (2008) comes to a violent, sardonic and brilliant conclusion. The shaky Union, menaced simultaneously by rampaging Northmen and by Gurkish invaders from the south, now must contend with intrigue and treachery in its capital, Adua. Summoned to play parts in a devastating confrontation between magical forces, conscience-ridden berserker Logen Ninefingers and honest, weary Union commander Colonel West come down from the north to meet painfully self-aware torturer Glokta, revenge-obsessed female warrior Ferro, pliable young adventurer Jezal and scheming, unscrupulous mage Bayaz. All these people are believable, especially as they dabble in grimly convincing magic and struggle to hear their consciences through the roar of carnage and betrayal. Abercrombie is a fresh new talent, presenting a dark view of life with wit and zest, and readers will mourn the end of this vivid story arc. (Sept.)
Copyright Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Reviews
"You should always end with the best...Last Argument of Kings is the textbook example of this theory in practice. The third in Joe Abercrombie's debut fantasy series, The First Law, reveals everything a finale should: conveys some answers, ties together the loose ends from various plot strands, knocks over pieces painstakingly set up in the preceding stories, and in the aftermath delivers the character development that surprises as well as delights. This series was always a swords-and-sorcery sequence that rejected the overwrought Tolkienesque myth building in favor of wry dialogue and tough, interweaving plotlines. Although it's never a comedy, the author's tongue lurks inside his cheek as he re-energises the fantasy staples." -- SFX (five-star review)

"Joe delivers his normal dose of intrigue, action and black humor but ramps it all up a gear and smacks you in the gut with some stuff that I guarantee you will not see coming. And then (while you're gasping for breath) he does it all over again, rendering some of the most powerful battles I've seen in fantasy literature almost pointless with the revelations that follow." -- Graeme's Fantasy Book Review 

Message Edited by Nadine on 05-18-2009 11:00 PM
TiggerBear

Interesting I've been trying to get you guys to read The Name of the Wind for about a year now.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

carmen22 wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Hey Mel, I'm actually reading Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer Series #4)  by Karen Chance (really good) in June for the paranormal club so I'm not sure I'll be getting those others right now, sorry. I have already read the first three of this series so of course I have to finish it :smileyvery-happy:! But that Santa Olivia does look good I might try it later on.

Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-18-2009 06:38 PM

Krista, I was thinking of reading this one but it was part of a series and didn't have time for the first few.  I have them on a list for when I have time to pick them up.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

Nadine wrote:

Canticle by Ken Scholes will be released on October 13 so I guess we are set for that one in November. That leaves us with the August, September, and October time slot to fill.

I wouldn't mind a discussion of The Name of the Wind. There is a lot in that book. Come to think of it ---over 700 pages of stuff! I would essentially be reading that one from page one, since I would need to for a discussion and didn't finish it. But that would be fine with me. I always read these books more thoughtfully when we are going to talk about them. I think I read Lamentation three times before our monthly discussion was over.

And the Dark Materials Trilogy would be fine too. I also appreciate the fact that these books are out in paperback editions and don't cost a small fortune. We will have to wait for Mel's opinion. Also, if anyone else is interested in joining us they might make a suggestion here as well. 

I've seen several people try to get a discussion going on single books or series but not with much success. Maybe some of these are worth looking into. I'll look around later and see if I can find those old threads.

Actually, we do have plenty to do for the next couple of months, but it is nice to think ahead a bit. Some times it is good to "save" a good discussion book and wait to read it together. And we can change our minds if something better comes along.

Also, the "other place" often lists the readings of other people who liked a particular book. I may sneak over and see what the readers of Mistborn and Elantris are doing.

I changed the header on this sub-thread so we can find it again.

Sorry everyone.  I was reading The Hero of Ages last night and couldn't put it down to get on line.  I wll take a look through the books here and get back to you all shortly. 

(Thanks for thinking of me!!:smileyhappy:)

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Well, all of the choices sound wonderful.  I could read any of them.

The Malazan book of the Fallen sounds really good.  I read an exerpt from the first book and it sounded really in depth, neat for discussions.  The only thing is I think I saw 8 books, wow, that is a lot.  I was just wondering if after a few books if it seems to lose any momentum or start to repeat?

The Name of the Wind sounds really cool, too.  It's a shame the next book isn't out.

The First Law trilogy could be neat.  I read an exerpt for that one too.

I didn't make it to look over the Golden Compass yet but he have some reviews and ideas on the books listed here.

Since we have a few months till the next Ken Scholes book do you want to do The Name of the Wind and then the First Law trilogy or the Golden Compass?  Maybe after Ken we could hit the Malazan book of the Fallen Series (if anyone thinks they don't fizzel out as they go).  Unless anyone comes up with any other ideas.  We can see what Paul comes up with from his shelves.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

Well, all of the choices sound wonderful.  I could read any of them.

The Malazan book of the Fallen sounds really good.  I read an exerpt from the first book and it sounded really in depth, neat for discussions.  The only thing is I think I saw 8 books, wow, that is a lot.  I was just wondering if after a few books if it seems to lose any momentum or start to repeat?

The Name of the Wind sounds really cool, too.  It's a shame the next book isn't out.

The First Law trilogy could be neat.  I read an exerpt for that one too.

I didn't make it to look over the Golden Compass yet but he have some reviews and ideas on the books listed here.

Since we have a few months till the next Ken Scholes book do you want to do The Name of the Wind and then the First Law trilogy or the Golden Compass?  Maybe after Ken we could hit the Malazan book of the Fallen Series (if anyone thinks they don't fizzle out as they go).  Unless anyone comes up with any other ideas.  We can see what Paul comes up with from his shelves.

I'm Definitely game for The Name of The Wind I have it already and LOVED it, plus Tig looks interested that will be one more persons input. There are others I have seen on here who have really enjoyed this book so maybe they will join as well (shrug). So I think this book is a good choice.

First Law trilogy or the Golden Compass trilogy sound good to me as well, I'm game.  They look really good to me. I guess now we just have to decide and figure out dates and everything so everyone has time to get all the books.

Krista