Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: Mistborn #2: Discussions after the Sanderson Marathon

[ Edited ]

carmen22 wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Well, all of the choices sound wonderful.  I could read any of them.

The Malazan book of the Fallen sounds really good.  I read an exerpt from the first book and it sounded really in depth, neat for discussions.  The only thing is I think I saw 8 books, wow, that is a lot.  I was just wondering if after a few books if it seems to lose any momentum or start to repeat?

The Name of the Wind sounds really cool, too.  It's a shame the next book isn't out.

The First Law trilogy could be neat.  I read an exerpt for that one too.

I didn't make it to look over the Golden Compass yet but he have some reviews and ideas on the books listed here.

Since we have a few months till the next Ken Scholes book do you want to do The Name of the Wind and then the First Law trilogy or the Golden Compass?  Maybe after Ken we could hit the Malazan book of the Fallen Series (if anyone thinks they don't fizzle out as they go).  Unless anyone comes up with any other ideas.  We can see what Paul comes up with from his shelves.

I'm Definitely game for The Name of The Wind I have it already and LOVED it, plus Tig looks interested that will be one more persons input. There are others I have seen on here who have really enjoyed this book so maybe they will join as well (shrug). So I think this book is a good choice.

First Law trilogy or the Golden Compass trilogy sound good to me as well, I'm game.  They look really good to me. I guess now we just have to decide and figure out dates and everything so everyone has time to get all the books.

Krista

Good game plan Melissa and Krista. OK, why don't we go for certain on The Name of the Wind for August after we finish Warbreaker. I think we might pull in a few more people on that one. Lets see what Paul comes up with for September and October and also wait and see what other comments we can get from readers about the trilogies and the Malazan books.

Ah, Melissa. I see you are hooked on The Hero of Ages. I am still on chapter 26 since I had no time to read on Monday and today doesn't look much better.

Message Edited by Nadine on 05-19-2009 12:02 PM
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

Good game plan Melissa and Krista. OK, why don't we go for certain on The Name of the Wind for August after we finish Warbreaker. I think we might pull in a few more people on that one. Lets see what Paul comes up with for September and October and also wait and see what other comments we can get from readers about the trilogies and the Malazan books.

Ah, Melissa. I see you are hooked on The Hero of Ages. I am still on chapter 26 since I had no time to read on Monday and today doesn't look much better.

The order sounds good.  I do hope more jump in with us on these.

YES, I am stuck on The Hero of Ages.  It just jumps in, head first.  It is really good!!!

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

Nadine wrote:

The order sounds good.  I do hope more jump in with us on these.

YES, I am stuck on The Hero of Ages.  It just jumps in, head first.  It is really good!!!

The order sounds good to me too.

The Hero of Ages is fantastic isn't it, a lot of answers to our unanswered questions!!!

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

carmen22 wrote:

I'm Definitely game for The Name of The Wind I have it already and LOVED it, plus Tig looks interested that will be one more persons input. There are others I have seen on here who have really enjoyed this book so maybe they will join as well (shrug). So I think this book is a good choice.

First Law trilogy or the Golden Compass trilogy sound good to me as well, I'm game.  They look really good to me. I guess now we just have to decide and figure out dates and everything so everyone has time to get all the books.

Krista

Tig looks interested   (raised eyebrow) I started a thread for it a LONG while back. Feel free to use it. Though it turned into a whine fest for the next books release.

Also look in the archival stuff. Golden Compass series used to have it's own section.

But don't let me sway you.

Nadine
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

Krista

Tig looks interested   (raised eyebrow) I started a thread for it a LONG while back. Feel free to use it. Though it turned into a whine fest for the next books release.

Also look in the archival stuff. Golden Compass series used to have it's own section.

But don't let me sway you.

Yes, you did start a thread, Tigger. Unfortunately they got a bit off topic along the way. Old Name of the Wind thread.

There are some good reviews early on in the thread. A lot of people liked it and were interested in reading it. Maybe this discussion can really branch out with contributions from other readers.

With an endorsement like this from Tigger, it has to be good!

TiggerBear
Inspired Scribe

TiggerBear

Reply 1 of 62

Viewed 2,576 times

Every high fantasy lover, do yourself a favor. READ THIS BOOK!
It is easily the best fantasy book I've read this decade.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
   Oh, I remember that thread it was when I was new at this and had never read The Name of The Wind before. I think I actually got it because of that thread and everyone raving about how good it was. It ended up being absolutely fantastic and one of my favorites. I will definitely have to reread it for the discussion, though. It's been awhile.
Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-19-2009 07:35 PM
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Interesting I've been trying to get you guys to read The Name of the Wind for about a year now.

Tigger:

You're singing to the choir! This really would be a perfect book to feature but I'd personally like to read it again just before the second installment is released. But when that will be is the question of the year....

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen

The Name of the Wind 

The Barnes & Noble Review
The debut novel from Patrick Rothfuss -- the first installment of an epic fantasy trilogy entitled the Kingkiller Chronicle -- not only lives up to its extraordinary pre-press hype (DAW president Elizabeth Wollheim called it "the most brilliant first fantasy novel I have read in over 30 years as an editor"), it surpasses it. When fantasy fans begin reading The Name of the Wind, they should be fully prepared to lose all contact with the outside world while immersed in this highly original and mesmerizing tale of magic, love, and adventure.

The story revolves around Kvothe, an enigmatic red-haired innkeeper who, as he shares his incredible life story with a renowned scribe, turns out to be much more than he appears. Born into a family of nomadic court performers, Kvothe's unconventional education was broadened by spending time with fellow travelers like Abenthy, an elderly arcanist whose knowledge included, among other things, knowing the name of the wind. After his parents are brutally murdered by mythical beings known as the Chandrian, Kvothe vows to learn more about the godlike group, and after suffering through years of homelessness, he finally gets his chance when he is admitted into the prestigious University. But the pursuit of arcane knowledge brings with it unforeseen dangers, as the young student quickly learnsÖ

With the release of his first novel, Rothfuss (who has already been compared to the likes of Terry Goodkind, Robert Jordan, and George R. R. Martin) is poised to be crowned the new king of epic fantasy. The Name of the Wind won't just impress longtime fantasy fans; it will absolutely blow them away -- an unprecedented, utterly breathtaking storytelling tour de force. Paul Goat Allen

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Nadine

paulgoatallen wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Interesting I've been trying to get you guys to read The Name of the Wind for about a year now.

Tigger:

You're singing to the choir! This really would be a perfect book to feature but I'd personally like to read it again just before the second installment is released. But when that will be is the question of the year....

Paul 

Or WHAT year! Hey, I think we have a winner here. Hope a lot of you join us for the August discussion of The Name of the Wind.

Paul, you might want to make one of your monthly features our "Reader's Choice".

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Tigger:

Paul 

(chuckle) Sometimes necessary.

As to the when of book 2, even his publisher is wondering what year. (sigh)

I'm just hoping enough ground support for the first book will burn that writer's block to ash already.

Nadine
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Tigger:

Paul 

I'm just hoping enough ground support for the first book will burn that writer's block to ash already.

Actually, I think the praise for the first book caused the writer's block. The books were essentially written a long time ago. All he is doing is polishing and adding to it. He admittedly spent a whole day coming up for just the right word in one sentence. I don't know that most readers would even know or care. Getting everything perfect can take forever!

From his explanation for the delay.

I am obsessive.

A week or so ago, I wrote a sentence that wasn't quite right. It bothered me like a popcorn husk stuck in the back of my throat. The problem was the word 'girlish.' It wasn't the right word. Close, but not right.

I thought about it when I went to bed that night. I thought about it in the shower. And the next day when I was driving into town to buy groceries it came to me. 'Childlike.' That was it. The perfect word.

You need to understand that I am a freak, and words are just the tip of the iceberg. The order of scenes, characterization, tension and subplot. I obsess about these things. I don't want them good. I want them perfect.

I like to think this obsessive attention to every little thing is a part of what makes my books worth reading twice. Worth telling your friends about. Worth writing smutty yaoi fanfic about. But it takes time.

One word down. 299,999 to go.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Tigger:

Paul 

Actually, I think the praise for the first book caused the writer's block. The books were essentially written a long time ago. All he is doing is polishing and adding to it. He admittedly spent a whole day coming up for just the right word in one sentence. I don't know that most readers would even know or care. Getting everything perfect can take forever!

From his explanation for the delay.

I am obsessive.

A week or so ago, I wrote a sentence that wasn't quite right. It bothered me like a popcorn husk stuck in the back of my throat. The problem was the word 'girlish.' It wasn't the right word. Close, but not right.

I thought about it when I went to bed that night. I thought about it in the shower. And the next day when I was driving into town to buy groceries it came to me. 'Childlike.' That was it. The perfect word.

You need to understand that I am a freak, and words are just the tip of the iceberg. The order of scenes, characterization, tension and subplot. I obsess about these things. I don't want them good. I want them perfect.

I like to think this obsessive attention to every little thing is a part of what makes my books worth reading twice. Worth telling your friends about. Worth writing smutty yaoi fanfic about. But it takes time.

One word down. 299,999 to go.

Nah he was already like that. Ever read how long it took him to write the first one. Not to get it published, just to write it.

Oh and  smutty yoai fanfic?! (raised eyebrow) Shows how little yoai he's actually seen. By definition all yoai and yuri are smutty. The differences lie in degrees and intended audience. But all fujoshi is smutty.

Nadine
0 Kudos

I found this trailer video for The Name of the Wind on Patrick's blog. It is in Spanish.

Translation - posted in blog but you would have to hunt for it.

------------------------------------------

I'l write what I heard then give the translation:

Me llamo Kvothe
He robado princesas a reyes agonicos.
Incendie la ciudad de trebon.
e pasado la nopche con ferusia y he despertado vivo y cuerdo.
me expulsaron de la universidad a una edad a la que la mayoria no los dejan entrar.
he recorido de noche caminos que otros no se atreven a hablar de dia
he hablado con dioses, amado mujeres y escrito canciones que hacne llorar a los bardos.

quizas has oido hablar de mi

Esta es mi autentica historia.

Now the translation:

My name is Kvothe
I have stoled princesses from pained kings,
I set fire to the city of Trebon.
I spent the Night with Felurian and I awoke alive and sane.
I got expelled from the university at an age that many arent allowed to enter.
I have traveled by night roads that others dont dare speak of in the day.
I have spoken with gods, loved women and wrote songs that have made the bards cry.

Almost the same thing as the back of the book.

paulgoatallen

[ Edited ]

Nadine wrote:

Or WHAT year! Hey, I think we have a winner here. Hope a lot of you join us for the August discussion of The Name of the Wind.

Paul, you might want to make one of your monthly features our "Reader's Choice".

Nadine:

Well that's kind of what I've been trying to do but I love the "Readers' Choice" tag! I'm all for it – and this way is doesn't necessarily have to be a new release! I still have slots open for July and August – do you want to make The Name of the Wind and August feature then? LET'S DO IT! It truly is a wonderful novel...

Paul 

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 05-20-2009 07:38 PM
Nadine
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Nadine wrote:

Nadine:

Well that's kind of what I've been trying to do but I love the "Readers' Choice" tag! I'm all for it – and this way is doesn't necessarily have to be a new release! I still have slots open for July and August – do you want to make The Name of the Wind and August feature then? LET'S DO IT! It truly is a wonderful novel...

Paul 

Oh, your endorsement will give us such a popularity boost!!! Now lots of people will read it and maybe join our discussion. It is also in paperback and not so expensive and libraries probably have copies of it.

Now can we get a vist from the author? :smileywink:

Nadine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nadine wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Tigger:

Paul 

I was alerted to this on Pat's Blog (he sure has a lot of time for that!). This is the listing on B&N for Wise Man's Fear the next book in the series. Note the publication date! :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by Nadine on 05-20-2009 10:01 PM
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

Nadine wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Tigger:

Paul 

I was alerted to this on Pat's Blog (he sure has a lot of time for that!). This is the listing on B&N for Wise Man's Fear the next book in the series. Note the publication date! :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by Nadine on 05-20-2009 10:01 PM

Are you serious???  Is that entered correctly into the computer? 2025??

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Nadine wrote:

Nadine:

Paul 

SWEET!!  We are glad to be a help.  I have it on the list for August.

Thanks for the support!

paulgoatallen

Nadine wrote:

Now can we get a vist from the author? :smileywink:

Let's see if my superpowers work on this one.... I'm not promising anything but I'll definitely give it a shot!      :smileyhappy:

Paul 

Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: Mistborn #2: Brandon Sanderson Marathon

This is great site. It is mainly about Mistborn #3: The Hero of Ages but the video Interview covers both this book and a bit about Brandon finishing Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series. The audio is a half hour and covers all of the books we are doing in our Brandon Sanderson Marathon. Excellent!

http://us.macmillan.com/theheroofages

Hint on the ending. I don't know it yet and Brandon doesn't reveal it. But he did say the first two chapters of Mistborn #1 contains the "seeds" of the surprise ending.

He also just about has me convinced that I want to read The Wheel of Time. Brandon is a very enthusiastic person.