Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Re: Mistborn #2: Elantris

Nadine wrote:

Ah, I missed those. I guess you are about ready to read Elantris since you are waiting for the rest of us to get to our breaking point in THoA. I looked at the book trying to "guess" where we might stop reading so we can discuss the book before we know the end. Actually, it is in only three parts and the first part is 366 pages long, the second is 178 pages, and the third is 71 pages. Those of you who want to start reading it might want to read Part one and then stop there. Then we can talk about that and then read Part 2, and finally Part 3. I have it on our schedule to begin around the 13th or 14th of May. If this is agreeable with you people, we can precede with this schedule.

However, if there is someone out there in the big void who has read the book and can guide us as to a good breaking point, I think that would help a lot.

That sounds good to me too.  It will probably be the best and easiest way to break it down.

I'm reading Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer Series #4) by Karen Chance right now so I can have that done for the feature in paranormal. Then, I might start Elantris (that is if we aren't already reading the rest of The Hero Of Ages) but I'll definitely stop after part one. I'm looking forward to Elantris after that amazing Graphic Audio. The only bad thing about that audio is it's only part one the other two parts aren't out yet but I think I'm going to get it anyway and then get the others when they come out, there just too cool to pass by!

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Re: Mistborn #2: Brandon Sanderson Marathon

Melhay wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Actually, I will go one step further and say these discussions have really helped me catch a LOT more than I would have just reading.  Our discussions and speculations have really made the books, especially #3 so much more intriguing.  I really look forward to the details and suspense to figure it out.

Thanks all for really digging in with me on these books.  It has been fun.

I think our discussions really do help make the book more thought-provoking and alluring. I'm actually just so flabbergasted with how everything is turning out in The Hero of Ages, I don't even know what to think at this point :smileysurprised:. So much to contemplate, that's for sure!

Krista

WOW!:smileysurprised:  I really am the slow reader.  I have the paperback and it is more pages than the hardback but our stopping spot is pg 530, I'm only on pg 273.

Its REALLY good.  I am trying to take it in as I read and think at the same time on what I am reading.  I am hoping with this being a holiday weekend I may be able to get a few more hours of reading time than normal to give me a boost.

Don't worry I just couldn't put it down and every night I went to bed wayyy toooo late and now I'm paying for it :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:!!
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine

carmen22 wrote:

Melhay wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Actually, I will go one step further and say these discussions have really helped me catch a LOT more than I would have just reading.  Our discussions and speculations have really made the books, especially #3 so much more intriguing.  I really look forward to the details and suspense to figure it out.

I think our discussions really do help make the book more thought-provoking and alluring. I'm actually just so flabbergasted with how everything is turning out in The Hero of Ages, I don't even know what to think at this point :smileysurprised:. So much to contemplate, that's for sure!

Krista

WOW!:smileysurprised:  I really am the slow reader.  I have the paperback and it is more pages than the hardback but our stopping spot is pg 530, I'm only on pg 273.

Its REALLY good.  I am trying to take it in as I read and think at the same time on what I am reading.  I am hoping with this being a holiday weekend I may be able to get a few more hours of reading time than normal to give me a boost.

Don't worry I just couldn't put it down and every night I went to bed wayyy toooo late and now I'm paying for it :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:!!

I'm only up to page 311, Melissa. I'm being slowed down by the same reasons you are (besides I AM a slow reader). For every two steps I take forward I go one step back. Like I read Chapter 42. Ah, ha! I wondered about something so I had to hunt back for the appropriate chapter which was Chapter 17 and I had to read the ending on that one. And then I had to reread Chapter 19. You'll know what I mean. Oh, no! This situation is looking more hopeless! We are doomed! But don't worry--things get worse! I'm a nervous wreck! My blood pressure is way too high!

Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension

carmen22 wrote:
  Something else interesting I found Nadine, you were saying something about Annotations for The Hero Of Ages he is actually going to be posting those soon. This is from an online interview I read. "the annotations for Mistborn 3: The Hero Of Ages that I'll start posting soon total 40,000 words, which is long enough to be called a novel in it's own right." says Sanderson.

Did he mention when? It looks like the other annotations were posted over a period of time and not all at once. I would really love to have the annotations for THoA. It is packed with so much stuff that my mind is spinning trying to piece everything from this and previous books together. His annotations also make everything more interesting.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22

[ Edited ]

Nadine wrote:

carmen22 wrote:
  Something else interesting I found Nadine, you were saying something about Annotations for The Hero Of Ages he is actually going to be posting those soon. This is from an online interview I read. "the annotations for Mistborn 3: The Hero Of Ages that I'll start posting soon total 40,000 words, which is long enough to be called a novel in it's own right." says Sanderson.

Did he mention when? It looks like the other annotations were posted over a period of time and not all at once. I would really love to have the annotations for THoA. It is packed with so much stuff that my mind is spinning trying to piece everything from this and previous books together. His annotations also make everything more interesting.

No, Sorry, it didn't. Here is the link though if you want to check it out~~ Online Interview.
Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-24-2009 08:15 PM
Nadine
0 Kudos

carmen22 wrote:

Nadine wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

No, Sorry, it didn't. Here is the link though if you want to check it out~~ Online Interview.

Thanks for the link, Krista. Hey it looks like Brandon might try his own series! Considering his track record of getting things out on schedule, I don't think we would have to wait forever between books.

Back when I sold Elantris to Tor, they were interested in following that with the book I was working on at the time, called The Way of Kings. But I felt my career and writing skills weren’t yet in the right place to pull off the ten-volume epic fantasy series that I wanted that book to lead into, so I wrote the Mistborn trilogy instead. Now, after working on the Wheel of Time for over a year, I finally feel ready to dive in and do a revision of Way of Kings. If I can effectively use all I’ve learned, I might be able to make the book become what I want it to be.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

Thanks for the link, Krista. Hey it looks like Brandon might try his own series! Considering his track record of getting things out on schedule, I don't think we would have to wait forever between books.

Back when I sold Elantris to Tor, they were interested in following that with the book I was working on at the time, called The Way of Kings. But I felt my career and writing skills weren’t yet in the right place to pull off the ten-volume epic fantasy series that I wanted that book to lead into, so I wrote the Mistborn trilogy instead. Now, after working on the Wheel of Time for over a year, I finally feel ready to dive in and do a revision of Way of Kings. If I can effectively use all I’ve learned, I might be able to make the book become what I want it to be.

Yes, I saw on one of his new updates/blog of Brandons about the Way of the Kings and other things he is and will be working on. This is the Blog and on this blog it actually talks about a fake Way Of the Kings on Amazon, it's his book but they just never took it off line when he pulled the project. I wonder if the cover will stay the same it's kind of cool/funny.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

Melhay wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Krista

I'm only up to page 311, Melissa. I'm being slowed down by the same reasons you are (besides I AM a slow reader). For every two steps I take forward I go one step back. Like I read Chapter 42. Ah, ha! I wondered about something so I had to hunt back for the appropriate chapter which was Chapter 17 and I had to read the ending on that one. And then I had to reread Chapter 19. You'll know what I mean. Oh, no! This situation is looking more hopeless! We are doomed! But don't worry--things get worse! I'm a nervous wreck! My blood pressure is way too high!

Thanks for the warning.  I am getting ready to start chapter 40.  I have things I have to get done today, my vegetable garden needs so attention and final plantings done.  Then I will be able to get back to the book later today.  Now I can't wait till chapter 42. 

**the suspence builds** :smileysurprised:

I have had to go back to the other books too, and I have noted things I want to look up in the other books also.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Nadine
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

Nadine wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

Thanks for the warning.  I am getting ready to start chapter 40.  I have things I have to get done today, my vegetable garden needs so attention and final plantings done.  Then I will be able to get back to the book later today.  Now I can't wait till chapter 42. 

**the suspence builds** :smileysurprised:

I have had to go back to the other books too, and I have noted things I want to look up in the other books also.

Take your time, Mellissa. You have until next weekend. Besides your great notes are worth it!

And the weeds are have taken over my garden as well. I ended up cutting my vegetables down to just tomatoes and peppers this year. However, my tomatoes do mis-behave and insist on growing out of their cages.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Okay, I think I am starting to fall into the same category as Krista, staying up waaayy tooo late to finish.  I just got through chapter 45 and WOW...  the brain is starting to roll with many thoughts and all the information.  I can't wait till I can sit down and read more.  That is all I want to do is read, read, read. 

This is just really good...  Sanderson is just really good...

I can't wait till we get into our discussion, I have lots of thoughts.

Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: Mistborn #2: Discussions after the Sanderson Marathon

I'm still looking around for possible books for our August/September slot(s). I have been looking for books liked by Sanderson readers since those books seem to work very well for us -- action, twists of plots, good characters, unpredictable endings, and books we haven't read. Furthermore they have to be single books, finished trilogies or new series with the next book on the horizon and a limited, reasonable, planned number. So far we have done well with Ken Scholes and Brandon Sanderson, new and upcoming epic fantasy writers.

Here is another possibility I found: 

The Night Angel Trilogy - Brent Weeks

New Author, Available in Paperback, Recently Published and Trilogy Completed

1. The Way of Shadows - You can read the first 9 chapters, 61 pages at B&N

2. Shadow's Edge - Eight chapters for reading

3. Beyond the Shadows - Twelve chapters

Sample Chapter of First Book: http://www.orbitbooks.net/the-way-of-shadows/

Reviews
http://www.alanbaxteronline.com/2009/05/12/night-angel-trilogy-brent-weeks-review.html
http://dragonsheroesandwizards.blogspot.com/2009/01/night-angel-trilogy-series-summary.html

Links to reviews
http://www.orbitbooks.net/2008/11/27/more-brent-weeks-night-angel-trilogy-online-coverage/

Of course, I know nothing about this beyond my research but that is part of the objective -- a book we haven't read. Maybe someone out in the void can offer a comment or two about the trilogy.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

I would like to hear what anyone has to say on the books by Brent Weeks.  I have seen these in the stores and look at them and move on because I just don't know.  I will look at your attachments and check them out.

I have 2 books here on my book shelves I intend to read when I get caught up with my other books.  I won these on a website, they had looked interesting.  I don't know if these would fall in our category here or not.  There are 2 books out currently of the series that is going to be of 6 books, from the authors website.

The Crown Conspiracy  

and Avempartha (the second book).  But it looks like the second book is only available on amazon, it came out in April.

So maybe these won't work for us if the second one isn't available yet.  Has anyone read these yet?  Are they any good?

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

I've actually been looking into getting these books they look good.

Also, when I was on Sandersons site I came across the David Gemmell Legend Award which the Hero of Ages and The Way of the Shadows was nominated for. And you can vote for which ever here! So it must be pretty good to be in a contest with The Hero of Ages!

Nadine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Melhay wrote:

I would like to hear what anyone has to say on the books by Brent Weeks.  I have seen these in the stores and look at them and move on because I just don't know.  I will look at your attachments and check them out.

I have 2 books here on my book shelves I intend to read when I get caught up with my other books.  I won these on a website, they had looked interesting.  I don't know if these would fall in our category here or not.  There are 2 books out currently of the series that is going to be of 6 books, from the authors website.

The Crown Conspiracy  

and Avempartha (the second book).  But it looks like the second book is only available on amazon, it came out in April.

So maybe these won't work for us if the second one isn't available yet.  Has anyone read these yet?  Are they any good?

It looks good, Melissa, and I think it would fit in well with what we are looking for in books. Each book can be read as a stand alone. Technically there are two books out in The Riyria Revelation.

I found this sample chapter from The Crown Conspiracy.

And this is the author's site.

It is wierd that B&N doesn't have Avempartha.

Lets just keep collecting ideas on this thread (I have waay too many notes and pieces of paper around) and then we can maybe get some feed-back from others.

Message Edited by Nadine on 05-26-2009 03:34 PM
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Melhay wrote:

The Crown Conspiracy  

No, I haven't read these either. It does look good, though.

Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-26-2009 03:34 PM
Nadine
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

Melhay wrote:

The Crown Conspiracy  

It looks good, Melissa, and I think it would fit in well with what we are looking for in books. Each book can be read as a stand alone. Technically there are two books out in The Riyria Revelation.

I found this sample chapter from The Crown Conspiracy.

And this is the author's site.

It is wierd that B&N doesn't have Avempartha.

Lets just keep collecting ideas on this thread (I have waay too many notes and pieces of paper around) and then we can maybe get some feed-back from others.

And a sample chapter for Avempartha.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

carmen22 wrote:

Nadine wrote:

Also, when I was on Sandersons site I came across the David Gemmell Legend Award which the Hero of Ages and The Way of the Shadows was nominated for. And you can vote for which ever here! So it must be pretty good to be in a contest with The Hero of Ages!

Did you notice that Joe Abercrombie is also in this group of books with Sanderson & Weeks.  I think some one mentioned his series a few pages back.  The Blood of Elves and Heir to Sevenwaters are the other 2 books listed in this group.  Maybe I'll look at these just to see what they are.  If they are compared to Sanderson maybe they would all fall into the area of what we discuss here.

Has Paul heard of any of these books?

Nadine
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

Nadine wrote:

Did you notice that Joe Abercrombie is also in this group of books with Sanderson & Weeks.  I think some one mentioned his series a few pages back.  The Blood of Elves and Heir to Sevenwaters are the other 2 books listed in this group.  Maybe I'll look at these just to see what they are.  If they are compared to Sanderson maybe they would all fall into the area of what we discuss here.

Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy

On page 9 of this thread, message 175.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

Nadine wrote:

I did see that.

I have read some of Juliet Marillier. I just don't know if her books would be good for a discussion. I could be wrong. Great reads, though. She deals with two worlds on top of each other, one world is ours and the other world filled with good and bad mystical beings. She deals a lot with trials and love to defeat those trials. I just don't know if there is enough mystery to them.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

They all look good, don't they! I'm game for any of them. Maybe we should start a thread asking everyone if they have read these or what they would recommend for a good mystery fantasy discussion.

Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-26-2009 04:50 PM