Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Mistborn: Looking Ahead: Warbreaker.


carmen22 wrote:

Nadine wrote:

carmen22 wrote:
  I went and added tags to our posts that we have so far. You are more than welcome to add more if you feel I missed any or left any out that you would like to keep track of. However, if you do add any more make sure you write the same name I did, like I wrote "Steel_Inquisitors" so if you want it to go to all the Inquisitor things you will have to enter the same thing. I didn't do the tags for the Mistborn thread though, so if you want you can do that and then every time we click on "Mists", "Vin" or whatever it will take us to all the post on these characters and things.
Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-15-2009 02:40 PM

Fantastic Carmen! Now I was able to get a list of tags for this board and I can see the "Tag" thingy, and on those messages that you have tagged it gives the "tag header" but if I post like another "warbreaker" is there a way I can find out at the time if there is a "warbreaker" tag or something appropriate already and just add another post to that category? It seems that would be more efficient instead of me inventing new tags because I didn't know one already existed. Besides I'm always misspelling things and that may generate a LOT of unique tags! :smileywink:

Message Edited by Nadine on 05-15-2009 03:00 PM

 

  I'm not sure but I think you have to just add the tag yourself every time. I have kept it simple though and just put there names but if you do misspell it I don't think it will keep it all the same so I guess just be careful. LOL!!
Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-15-2009 03:18 PM

Thanks, Carmen. The next time I post something taggable I'll try it out. I will probably understand it better by actually doing it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension

Koloss

 

I do want to bring up the subject of the Koloss. Brandon doesn't mention them much in his notes so I don't know if he is going to drop them in book #3 now that they have served their purpose. He did say he originally had them a Plantation Overseers, but decided to change that and postpone their appearance until Mistborn #2. We do get a closer look at them when Sazed visits their camp but particularly so when Elend visits the camp in Chapter 42.

 

The important things here I think is that they are being paid "play" money (wood coins) that they consider valuable to the extent of killing each other for them and also following the orders and control of Jastes as mercenaries. Jastes, of course, loses control of them when his store of wood coins is destroyed.

 

I wonder if they were at one time human because that is the way they view themselves. They do speak and they seem to have some deep down idea of being human.

 

Page 518 (a Koloss speaking to Elend):

 

"You think we are koloss. ... We are humans. We will live in your city. WE will kill you, and take it."

 

They are also wear clothing of sorts. This seems to be a new development. Starting page 517-516:

 

-----------------

As he walked, he noticed another oddity: some of the koloss were wearing clothing. Before, he's seen them only in loincloths, as Sazed had reported. Yet, many of these koloss had pants, shirts, or skirts pulled onto their bodies."

-------------

 

We also don't know specifically how Vin finally controls them but she uses the same technique on OreSeur. So I wonder, are all these various "creatures" -- koloss, kandra, inquisitors originally human and modified by Lord Ruler and were controlled by him? We know for sure the Inquisitors were because of Marsh. I don't think the kandra were originally human but were changed mist creatures like the one we encountered in Book #1. But we know very little about the Koloss.

Bibliophile
Melhay
Posts: 2,062
Registered: ‎12-11-2008

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension

I thought I may have had this posted here, I had to work to find it but I did.  This is where Vin in talking with TenSoon finds out that the Lord Ruler created the Kandra.  And somewhere, which I have not found yet, it is mentioned that the koloss are cousins to the kandra.


Melhay wrote:

 

 

I do think there is a good chance that maybe the Lord Ruler, which ever person he is, did take the power of the Well for himself.  I also believe he created the Kandra and the Koloss with this power.

 

  from page 489-490 while Vin is speaking with OreSeur on his history,

 

'...What do you know of the origin of the kandra?"

Vin perked up. "Nothing."

We did not exist before the Ascension," he said.

"You mean to say that the Lord Ruler created you?"

"That is what our lore teaches," OreSeur said. "We are not certain of our purpose. Perhaps we were to be Father's spies."

 

Then there is talk on pg 490 that the Lord Ruler put in a way to control them.

 

Then it goes into Vins thoughts on Lord Ruler creating them and the Well.

 

'He created them, Vin though. She had always shared a bit of Kelsier's view regarding the Lord Ruler--that he was more man than deity. But, if he'd truly created a completely new species, then there had to have been some divinity in him.

The power of the Well of Ascension, she thought. He took it for himself--but it didn't last. It must have run out, and quickly. Otherwise, why would he have needed armies to conquer?'

 

There is also mention of the Koloss's being cousins to the Kandra, unfortunatly at the moment I am not able to find the page number for you.


 

_______________________
"There are no honorable causes. There is no good or evil. Evil is only what we call those who oppose us." From Nyphron Rising, By Michael J. Sullivan

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Bibliophile
Melhay
Posts: 2,062
Registered: ‎12-11-2008

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension: Mist Spirit

***SPOILER*** 

 

I was wondering if you all thought that the Mist Spirit is the one who ripped the last line from all the written copies of the rubbing and of the rubbing itself?

 

Now remember there was a problem years ago before the Lord Ruler became Lord Ruler.  The first line of Kwaans metal log says so. 

     I write these word in steel, for anything not set in metal cannot be trusted.

So what ever is doing it now was doing it then.  Could it possibly be the Mist Spirit?  He was following the "Hero" at the time as he followed Vin now. 

 

I think the Mist Spirit is a 'good' force and can help Vin and Elend in the long run.  He must have a connection with the creature of the Well to know that the prophesy was false to release the Well.

 

The Mist Spirit does come to Sazed in his room where the papers are all at.  So he is able to have gotten in without anyone knowing since he is dark and can hide in the shadows.  I think it was the Mist Spirit trying to communicate again with the closest people to Vin.

 

Now, who or what is the Mist Spirit?  Is it a trapped soul? Is it a kandra or mistwraith transformed?  I guess we will have to wait till book three.

_______________________
"There are no honorable causes. There is no good or evil. Evil is only what we call those who oppose us." From Nyphron Rising, By Michael J. Sullivan

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Bibliophile
Melhay
Posts: 2,062
Registered: ‎12-11-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension: Atrium

***SPOILERS***

 

Was the Lord Rulers Atium ever found?  I don't think it was but I may have missed that in the exciting end of the book.

 

Could the Atium have been used as a form of 'payment' for keeping the mists away?  Or, the Inquisitor which was seen around Kredik Shaw have taken it?

_______________________
"There are no honorable causes. There is no good or evil. Evil is only what we call those who oppose us." From Nyphron Rising, By Michael J. Sullivan

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
Posts: 988
Registered: ‎01-12-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension: Mist Spirit


Melhay wrote:

***SPOILER*** 

 

I was wondering if you all thought that the Mist Spirit is the one who ripped the last line from all the written copies of the rubbing and of the rubbing itself?

 

Now remember there was a problem years ago before the Lord Ruler became Lord Ruler.  The first line of Kwaans metal log says so. 

     I write these word in steel, for anything not set in metal cannot be trusted.

So what ever is doing it now was doing it then.  Could it possibly be the Mist Spirit?  He was following the "Hero" at the time as he followed Vin now. 

 


  I believe it was Mel! But what was it that it was ripping off? Oh, Now that I think about it it may have been the Evil thing, I will have to look and see what was missing. Was it a clue that the well was there or was it a clue that it was evil or not there, I can't recall.

_______________________
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
Posts: 988
Registered: ‎01-12-2009

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension: Atrium

[ Edited ]

Melhay wrote:

***SPOILERS***

 

Was the Lord Rulers Atium ever found?  I don't think it was but I may have missed that in the exciting end of the book.

 

Could the Atium have been used as a form of 'payment' for keeping the mists away?  Or, the Inquisitor which was seen around Kredik Shaw have taken it?


 

   No, they never did find the Atium in this book and they have no idea where it could have gone. But you have a good idea about the "payment" thing. Here's an idea, if the Lord Ruler did use this Well of power up before how did it fill back up, do you think it could be the Atium(payment)?

 

  This could be stretching a little far but what kind of metal do you think the Spikes in the Inquisitors are made of?

Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-15-2009 10:41 PM
_______________________
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Bibliophile
Melhay
Posts: 2,062
Registered: ‎12-11-2008

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension: Atrium


carmen22 wrote:

Melhay wrote:

***SPOILERS***

 

Was the Lord Rulers Atium ever found?  I don't think it was but I may have missed that in the exciting end of the book.

 

Could the Atium have been used as a form of 'payment' for keeping the mists away?  Or, the Inquisitor which was seen around Kredik Shaw have taken it?


 

   No, they never did find the Atium in this book and they have no idea where it could have gone. But you have a good idea about the "payment" thing. Here's an idea, if the Lord Ruler did use this Well of power up before how did it fill back up, do you think it could be the Atium(payment)?

 

  This could be stretching a little far but what kind of metal do you think the Spikes in the Inquisitors are made of?

Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-15-2009 10:41 PM

Have you been reading my questions/notes?  I was wondering that exact question, so no you aren't stretching to far. 

 

I was wondering if that is part of what makes them so good at their jobs.  I also wonder if that metal in the pottery, the one that makes you an allomancer is used to make a Steel Inquisitor be able to use all metals?  Remember when Marsh went into the order he was only able to burn one metal.  The Steel Inquisitors don't 'burn' metals now with the spikes.  Doesn't it appear that this metal that makes one an Allomancer seem to be all gone?  The book speaks of how all the pottery is broken.  I think this clay, pottery is the form the metal comes in.  Kind of like the Atium comes in their stone out side.

 

I always just thought the spikes were made of "steel" hence the name Steel Inquisitor, but now I question that thought.

_______________________
"There are no honorable causes. There is no good or evil. Evil is only what we call those who oppose us." From Nyphron Rising, By Michael J. Sullivan

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Bibliophile
Melhay
Posts: 2,062
Registered: ‎12-11-2008

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension: Mist Spirit


carmen22 wrote:

Melhay wrote:

***SPOILER*** 

 

I was wondering if you all thought that the Mist Spirit is the one who ripped the last line from all the written copies of the rubbing and of the rubbing itself?

 

Now remember there was a problem years ago before the Lord Ruler became Lord Ruler.  The first line of Kwaans metal log says so. 

     I write these word in steel, for anything not set in metal cannot be trusted.

So what ever is doing it now was doing it then.  Could it possibly be the Mist Spirit?  He was following the "Hero" at the time as he followed Vin now. 

 


  I believe it was Mel! But what was it that it was ripping off? Oh, Now that I think about it it may have been the Evil thing, I will have to look and see what was missing. Was it a clue that the well was there or was it a clue that it was evil or not there, I can't recall.


 

***SPOILERS*** 

 

I guess the book leads you to believe it was the Mist Spirit that ripped the line from the papers. 

 

pg 738 (when the Mist Spirit is trying to point to the city to have Sazed help/stop Vin)

   Sazed stood for a long moment in the room with only one candle, then glaced at the open book. The wind flipped its pages, showing his handwriting, then Tindwyl's, then his again.

   Alendi must not be allowed to reach the Well of Ascension. He must not be allowed to take the power for himself.

   Perhaps...perhaps Kwaan knew something that nobody else had. Could the power corrupt even the best of people? Could that be why he turned against Alendi, trying to stop him?

   The mist spirit pointed again.

   If the spirit tore free that sentence, perhaps it was trying to tell me something. But...Vin wouldn't take the power for herself. She wouldn't destroy, as the Lord Ruler did, would she?

   And if she didn't have a choice?

 

---

 

Here everyone is still thinking it is that if you hold the power you will destroy the world, but ironically the mist spirit wants that... so not to release this creature on the world.

---

 

I think the Well started to stir again to want to be released because the Lord Ruler was no longer around.  Some how the Lord Ruler was able to keep the Well in check and no one was able to "feel" its desire to be released.  But when Vin killed the Lord Ruler it released the hold he had on the Well and slowly the Well drew its power to call to Vin to release it.

_______________________
"There are no honorable causes. There is no good or evil. Evil is only what we call those who oppose us." From Nyphron Rising, By Michael J. Sullivan

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Bibliophile
Melhay
Posts: 2,062
Registered: ‎12-11-2008

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension

Does anyone have any ideas on the items found on the way to the Well?

    - The cans and cans of food.

    - The large metal plaque hanging on the wall - A map with Luthadel marked at teh center and Statlin City circled.

 

What was the Lord Ruler planning for?  So much food?  Could the map show what Vin had thought of the city, how the Lord Ruler changed it?

_______________________
"There are no honorable causes. There is no good or evil. Evil is only what we call those who oppose us." From Nyphron Rising, By Michael J. Sullivan

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Bibliophile
Melhay
Posts: 2,062
Registered: ‎12-11-2008

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension: Ash

What is up with the ash?  On pg 727 Elend notes there is a lot of ash lately.

  'Ash was falling. A lot of ashfalls lately, Elend thought as he and spook emerged from the trees and looked out over the Luthadel plain.'

 

Then this thought is lost because he notices that the Koloss are camped outside the city.

 

I was also wondering where the rumor that Vin was going to stop the ash falls came from?  Could that have been that people just made it up or was there really someone who thought it to be true?

 ---

 

I remember in the first book asking if the Lord Ruler had control over the ashes and I still wonder that.  If he in some way controled the ashes as he did the mists?

_______________________
"There are no honorable causes. There is no good or evil. Evil is only what we call those who oppose us." From Nyphron Rising, By Michael J. Sullivan

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension: Atrium


carmen22 wrote:

Melhay wrote:

***SPOILERS***

 

Was the Lord Rulers Atium ever found?  I don't think it was but I may have missed that in the exciting end of the book.

 

Could the Atium have been used as a form of 'payment' for keeping the mists away?  Or, the Inquisitor which was seen around Kredik Shaw have taken it?


 

   No, they never did find the Atium in this book and they have no idea where it could have gone. But you have a good idea about the "payment" thing. Here's an idea, if the Lord Ruler did use this Well of power up before how did it fill back up, do you think it could be the Atium(payment)?

 

  This could be stretching a little far but what kind of metal do you think the Spikes in the Inquisitors are made of?

Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-15-2009 10:41 PM

I always thought they were just steel but never had any idea if they used other metals. They do have a lot of spikes in them. We know they have two in their heads through their eyes and their "destruction trigger" spike in their back. But I don't think we have been told how many or what they are made of. Steel gives "speed" but we don't inow if different types of people use metals in different ways. They could have other metals in them but I don't think we know this yet either.i guess we have to evoke our "mantra"-- we will probably find out in book #3.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension: Atrium


Melhay wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

Melhay wrote:

***SPOILERS***

 

Was the Lord Rulers Atium ever found?  I don't think it was but I may have missed that in the exciting end of the book.

 

Could the Atium have been used as a form of 'payment' for keeping the mists away?  Or, the Inquisitor which was seen around Kredik Shaw have taken it?


 

   No, they never did find the Atium in this book and they have no idea where it could have gone. But you have a good idea about the "payment" thing. Here's an idea, if the Lord Ruler did use this Well of power up before how did it fill back up, do you think it could be the Atium(payment)?

 

  This could be stretching a little far but what kind of metal do you think the Spikes in the Inquisitors are made of?

Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-15-2009 10:41 PM

Have you been reading my questions/notes?  I was wondering that exact question, so no you aren't stretching to far. 

 

I was wondering if that is part of what makes them so good at their jobs.  I also wonder if that metal in the pottery, the one that makes you an allomancer is used to make a Steel Inquisitor be able to use all metals?  Remember when Marsh went into the order he was only able to burn one metal.  The Steel Inquisitors don't 'burn' metals now with the spikes.  Doesn't it appear that this metal that makes one an Allomancer seem to be all gone?  The book speaks of how all the pottery is broken.  I think this clay, pottery is the form the metal comes in.  Kind of like the Atium comes in their stone out side.

 

I always just thought the spikes were made of "steel" hence the name Steel Inquisitor, but now I question that thought.


I'm still working my way through all the postings but trying to respond to the most recent ones as well, so I might not be up-to-date on everything. I might end up repeating something here.

 

I don't know if Inquisitors are Allomancer in the traditional Mistborn powers. The Terris people use Ferunchemy (?) but I think the Inquisitors use something called Hemelurgy (?). I don't remember now if I read that in Brandon's notes or early in the book. I don't have any idea of what the spikes do for them except make them look scary. The trivia idea that sleeping must be most uncomfortable with all those spikes keeps occupying my mind. :smileywink:

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension: Mist Spirit

Mel wrote:

I think the Well started to stir again to want to be released because the Lord Ruler was no longer around.  Some how the Lord Ruler was able to keep the Well in check and no one was able to "feel" its desire to be released.  But when Vin killed the Lord Ruler it released the hold he had on the Well and slowly the Well drew its power to call to Vin to release it.

------------------------------------------------------------

 

Good point! In fact I almost get the idea that for the last thousand years it may have been "recharging" like a battery. When Lord Ruler died a lot happened. The Mists started to take over during the day, they became hostile and started killing people, and they were not "friendly" with Vin anymore and pulled back from her.

 

***********SPOILERS*************

 

Obviously the entraped Evil is active again and starts trying to attract Vin with its "thumping." But there is still "good" in the Mists. I think the Mist Spirit belongs with the "good guys." So the Evil is trying to get Vin to go to the Well and possibly make the wrong descision and the Mist Spirit is trying to warn her and Sazed to stay away and that the right descision is the "wrong" descision. Alendi was basically good like Vin and would not take the power for himself -- wrong! While Lord Ruler discovered that the "right" descision was to take the power.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension


Melhay wrote:

Does anyone have any ideas on the items found on the way to the Well?

    - The cans and cans of food.

    - The large metal plaque hanging on the wall - A map with Luthadel marked at teh center and Statlin City circled.

 

What was the Lord Ruler planning for?  So much food?  Could the map show what Vin had thought of the city, how the Lord Ruler changed it?


I cpould not find Statlin City on the map provided with the book so I have no visual idea ofshere it could be or its significance. I would assume the can food might be provision for a possible seige should Lord Ruler's power be challenged.

 

I did note when looking at the map that Luthadel is surrounded by the ashmounds -- kind of almost like a smoke screen. The outter areas of the Empire might not get the ash fall, especially those protected by mountains. Just a bit of trivia I just noticed. May not be relevant at all.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension: Ash


Melhay wrote:

What is up with the ash?  On pg 727 Elend notes there is a lot of ash lately.

  'Ash was falling. A lot of ashfalls lately, Elend thought as he and spook emerged from the trees and looked out over the Luthadel plain.'

 

Then this thought is lost because he notices that the Koloss are camped outside the city.

 

I was also wondering where the rumor that Vin was going to stop the ash falls came from?  Could that have been that people just made it up or was there really someone who thought it to be true?

 ---

 

I remember in the first book asking if the Lord Ruler had control over the ashes and I still wonder that.  If he in some way controled the ashes as he did the mists?


Ooops, I think I just said something about the ash. Maybe it is relevant. The ash mounds that are spewing out the ash do seem to circle Luthadel very symetrically. I don't think we have any idea where the mists come from but then mists are usually from condensation of water in the air when it gets cooler.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension: Marsh

I have been collecting Brandon's comments on Marsh so I just want to get them up and posted.

 

Chapt 57

Marsh

One of the things about this novel is that the bookends--the beginning and the end--are very closely tied together, with only small strands weaving through the middle. Here, at the end, we come full circle. We find a body, just like the one that Sazed found in the first chapter where we introduced him. Next, we run into Marsh, who vanished so many months ago.

He's actually been in the city. Some of Demoux's people reported seeing an Inquisitor, if you recall, and Vin found footprints inside of Kredik Shaw. Marsh has been here the whole time, watching and waiting.

Now he has something to do.

I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that the beginning and the ending are tied so closely together. On one hand, I worry that you've forgotten about Marsh and the killings the mists caused. On the other hand, I like the symmetry in this book. You think you're done with it after the siege of Luthadel.

Then this happens.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension: Marsh

More from Brandon:

 

Chapt 58

Marsh Vs. Sazed

But first we have the Marsh Sazed battle. I really like this scene, since I get to do something very new with it. Do you remember when I promised you that you'd see some cool interactions between Allomancy and Feruchemy?

I realized almost immediately, when designing Feruchemy, that I could do some very fun things with it mixing with Allomancy. With how much that Mistborn depend on their Steelpushes and Ironpulls, a person who can change his weight would have an enormous advantage. Everyone always says that Allomancy is the better combat skill, but that's just because the resource it uses--metal--is far more plentiful than the resource Feruchemy uses. Put the two into a battle together with enough power to spare, and the Feruchemist will almost always win.

At the end of this, Ham gets to do something. Makes me glad that I wrote him back into the story after forgetting about him. . . .

Oh, and that blow to the head was no slight blow--Sazed's actually wrong. That strike will lay Marsh out for some time. Remember what Ham said about two pewter burners canceling each other out? Well, you just had a very strong soldier flaring pewter hit a man who was simply burning it in the back of the head with a stick hard enough to break it. Marsh is out cold.
 

Bibliophile
Melhay
Posts: 2,062
Registered: ‎12-11-2008

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension: Atrium


Nadine wrote:

Melhay wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

Melhay wrote:

***SPOILERS***

 

Was the Lord Rulers Atium ever found?  I don't think it was but I may have missed that in the exciting end of the book.

 

Could the Atium have been used as a form of 'payment' for keeping the mists away?  Or, the Inquisitor which was seen around Kredik Shaw have taken it?


 

   No, they never did find the Atium in this book and they have no idea where it could have gone. But you have a good idea about the "payment" thing. Here's an idea, if the Lord Ruler did use this Well of power up before how did it fill back up, do you think it could be the Atium(payment)?

 

  This could be stretching a little far but what kind of metal do you think the Spikes in the Inquisitors are made of?

Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-15-2009 10:41 PM

Have you been reading my questions/notes?  I was wondering that exact question, so no you aren't stretching to far. 

 

I was wondering if that is part of what makes them so good at their jobs.  I also wonder if that metal in the pottery, the one that makes you an allomancer is used to make a Steel Inquisitor be able to use all metals?  Remember when Marsh went into the order he was only able to burn one metal.  The Steel Inquisitors don't 'burn' metals now with the spikes.  Doesn't it appear that this metal that makes one an Allomancer seem to be all gone?  The book speaks of how all the pottery is broken.  I think this clay, pottery is the form the metal comes in.  Kind of like the Atium comes in their stone out side.

 

I always just thought the spikes were made of "steel" hence the name Steel Inquisitor, but now I question that thought.


I'm still working my way through all the postings but trying to respond to the most recent ones as well, so I might not be up-to-date on everything. I might end up repeating something here.

 

I don't know if Inquisitors are Allomancer in the traditional Mistborn powers. The Terris people use Ferunchemy (?) but I think the Inquisitors use something called Hemelurgy (?). I don't remember now if I read that in Brandon's notes or early in the book. I don't have any idea of what the spikes do for them except make them look scary. The trivia idea that sleeping must be most uncomfortable with all those spikes keeps occupying my mind. :smileywink:


 

I found in book 1 just a little on the spikes.

 

pg 637 Marsh is talking with Vin.

 

  "Does that... hurt, Marsh?" she asked. "The spikes, I mean?"

  He paused. "Yes. All eleven of them...throb. The pain reacts to my emotions somehow."

  "Eleven?" Vin asked with shock.

  Marsh nodded. "Two in the head, eight in the chest, one in the back to seal them together. That's the only way to kill an Inquisitor--you have to separate the top spikes from the bottom ones. Kell did it through the beheading, but it's easier to just pull out the middle spike."

 

Now that I think on it, Marsh was called Iron eyes but they didn't like it because it resembled the Steel Inquisitor name.  Could all the spikes be different metals?  This would give them the ability to use all the metals but not have to burn them (like Allomancy) or pull from them (like Feruchemisy)?  Could this be another way to use the metals?

_______________________
"There are no honorable causes. There is no good or evil. Evil is only what we call those who oppose us." From Nyphron Rising, By Michael J. Sullivan

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension: Atrium

Mel Wrote:

I found in book 1 just a little on the spikes.

 

pg 637 Marsh is talking with Vin.

 

  "Does that... hurt, Marsh?" she asked. "The spikes, I mean?"

  He paused. "Yes. All eleven of them...throb. The pain reacts to my emotions somehow."

  "Eleven?" Vin asked with shock.

  Marsh nodded. "Two in the head, eight in the chest, one in the back to seal them together. That's the only way to kill an Inquisitor--you have to separate the top spikes from the bottom ones. Kell did it through the beheading, but it's easier to just pull out the middle spike."

 

Now that I think on it, Marsh was called Iron eyes but they didn't like it because it resembled the Steel Inquisitor name.  Could all the spikes be different metals?  This would give them the ability to use all the metals but not have to burn them (like Allomancy) or pull from them (like Feruchemisy)?  Could this be another way to use the metals?

==========================

 

Good find, Mel! Wow! Eleven spikes! You might very well be right. Otherwise why would they need so many spikes? I think 11 is the total of different metals we know about at this point, though there are more we haven't been introduced to yet.