Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Morwaul
0 Kudos

Modern Epic Sci Fi series?

Hello, I could use a little help.  I occasionally (dis)grace the Paranormal board but I am getting a bit tired or all the Vamps, Weres, and whatnot and would like to try a Sci Fi series.  I have never really read Sci Fi except for stuff from when I was in school years ago.  I did some searching and did read the first three books of the Culture series by Iain Banks as it was highly recommended but I would prefer a series that centers around one character or a group of characters like an epic fantasy series.  I would also like something written fairly recently (10 or 15 years old at most) if possible.  I may be limiting myself but I cannot see reading a Sci Fi series written on a typwriter by someone who had never seen laser pens, LCDs, cordless drills, computer games, the Internet, etc.  

If there is already a thread on this and I missed it just point me to it if you don't mind.

Thanks

---------------------------------------------------
The One in every crowd.
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

Re: Modern Epic Sci Fi series?

Morwaul --

How epic do you need to be?  What constitutes "epic" in your mind?  I usually think of an epic as one long continuous story -- sort of like The Lord of the Rings or the Harry Potter series.  If you're looking for something like that, you might like to try Piers Anthony's Bio of a Space Tyrant series.  On the other hand, if you mean a connected series of stories that pull together in the spirit of high adventure, try David Weber's Honor Harrington series -- it's a SF rendition of the Horatio Hornblower saga centered around a single character or continuity but with classic SF elements like a telepathic/empathic alien species coupled with hard hitting military fiction.

You might also want to revise your opinion of SF written before laser pens, LCDs, etc.  Much SF is independent of the technology so Isaac Asimov's Foundation series still holds together today as does Frank Herbert's Dune.  Nearly all of Robert Heinlein's Future History stories still read as well today as they did 30-40 years ago despite the occasional outdated reference to book spools and tapes.  If you want to stay with a single character, try his Lazarus Long stories starting with Methuselah's Children and continuing with Time Enough for Love then To Sail Beyond the Sunset and The Cat Who Walks Through Walls.  I found The Number of the Beast to be a bit off-putting but am in the midst of rereading Heinlein's works to see if it improved as I aged (I find most of them are as enjoyable now as they were when I was younger).

I also recommend Gordon Dickson's Dorsai saga although it's more of a chronicle of an entire people than story about one person or group of people.  Ben Bova has a number of multi-volume series that you might want to consider.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Knight of the Word, The Dark Knight Returns, Appleseed
Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@Morwaul:

There is a previous thread which might be helpful to you:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Fantasy-Science-Fiction/RT-Nominees-in-Sci-Fi-Fantasy-amp-Epi...

Also, although not all of the recommendations may fit with your request for "modern" epic series, there is this thread "sticky noted" to the top of this board:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Fantasy-Science-Fiction/The-Best-Epic-Fantasy-Novels-and-Seri...

Happy reading!

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If you want epic, I can think of a few series that I have enjoyed so much I anxiously awaited the next book:

Ender's Game (Ender Wiggin Series #1)  

For Love of Mother Not (Pip and Flinx Adventure Series #1)  

A Talent for War (Alex Benedict Series #1)  

RHWright
0 Kudos

Even though it's not "recent," my go-to sci-fi epic series still has to be Herbert's original Dune series.

Some don't care for the more recent prequels penned by his son & Kevin Anderson (I do), but they really don't make much sense or have much importance if you haven't read the originals anyway.

Frequent Contributor
infael

I like Allen Steele's Coyote books. About colonizing another planet and an eventual break from Earth.

New User
jmroyalty
0 Kudos

RAMA by Arthur C. Clarke

Or you can read mine, Ursa Minor by Jonathan Royalty

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

I don't know that there are a lot of hard Sci Fi epics in recent years. The epic stuff tends to slide closer to fantasy. Coming from paranormal David Weber has several series. You might take a look at the sub genre of military SF. Most of the epic stuff, Philip Jose Farmer, Robert Silverberg, Anne McCaffery (Dragonriders of Pern) is older. Dystopian stuff is dominating right now.
Frequent Contributor
Morwaul
0 Kudos

Thank You everyone for all the suggestions.  

@Omnigeek.  Yes, exactly.  By Epic I mean one long continuous story.  I will take a look at the Lazuras Long series for sure.

@BrandiC.  I already looked through some of the Epic Fantasy Series Post but I found that it mostly contained Epic Fantasy or if there was Epic Sci Fi mixed in I couldn't make it out.  I did check out the other link though. Thanks

@jmroyalty.  Wow, an author actualy responded to my post.  I will definatley check out your book.

@everyone.  Once again, thanks for the responses.  I noticed several people mentioned Dune.  I never considered it as I have seen both the movie and miniseries.  I imagine the books are much better however.  I will take a look at it and some of the other suggestions.  Maybe I will try some of the older stuff.  In fantasy I found that I like the modern authors more that the classics and though I figured the difference would be even worse with Sci Fi, maybe it will not be.

---------------------------------------------------
The One in every crowd.
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

Morwaul --

You can't even compare the Dune book(s) to the movies.  Try reading the first one and see where that takes you.

If you're looking for one long continuous story, Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern, Crystal Singer, and Rowan series are all excellent as is the two-volume Pegasus storyline.  I still recommend you look at Piers Anthony's Bio of a Space Tyrant pentology.

David Weber and John Ringo had a very nice trilogy.  I think the first book was March Upcountry, followed by March to the Sea and March to the Stars and ending with We Few.

Jerry Pournelle had a nice shared continuity called War World but that's not a single continuous story as you were looking for.

Ben Bova's Voyagers series looks pretty promising but I haven't cracked it open yet.  He also has a Grand Tour series that sounds fantastic -- again, haven't got started on that one yet.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Knight of the Word, The Dark Knight Returns, Appleseed
New User
Toast101
0 Kudos

My strongest suggestion is David Weber's Honor Harrington series.

My others are Lois Mcmaster Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan series, Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet Series, and John Ringo's Troy Series is good too.

Inspired Correspondent
Htom_Serveaux

[ Edited ]

Hmm.  No Ringworld?  Core set of characters (for the first three, anyway), an expansive unexplored area, strange new civilizations, a quest, a war....

The original falls outside your "recent" requirement, but several of the latter ones fit.  As has been pointed out, this is often not a problem, I think especially with Larry Niven, who was pretty meticulous in most of his science.

At any rate, it's my suggestion for epic science-fiction.

Ringworld (Known Space Series) 

The Ringworld Engineers (Known Space Series) 

The Ringworld Throne (Known Space Series) 

Ringworld's Children (Known Space Series)     

Ditto on Dune, at least the first book, if not the first three.  The filmed adaptations really tell you nothing about the written works.  A completely different experience.  It's too bad the first (or only) impression so many have of Dune are these films.

New User
CryHavoc

Hyperion

Inspired Correspondent
MacFlash

How about Scalazi's Old Man's War series:

Old Man’s War (2005)
The Ghost Brigades (2006)
The Last Colony (2007)
Zoe’s Tale (2008)

Haldeman's Forever War Series:

Vernor Vinge's Zones of Thought series:

Zones of Thought series

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

I have to echo the suggestion of the Ender's Game Series and also suggest its companion series, Ender's Shadow series , although it's a little less sci-fi and more speculative military fiction...  (Is that a genre?!?)

New User
westcoast4life
0 Kudos

In NO order of my personal taste (and I am writing this from memory so if there are big series im missing I may have omitted them because of thier own fame like the enders series and if not, please forgive my lackwit nature atm.

John sculzi "old mans war trilogy"   favorite book series to date (tied with posleen war series)

john ringo "posleen war series"      (see above)

John Ringo "council war series"      (nice mix of fantasy and sci fi)

Peter F hamilton "nights dawn trilogy" (took me almost a week to read this whole series it is very long)

Peter F hamilton "void trilogy" 

alan steel "coyote series"     (another long read)

Larry niven "ring world series"  (duh)

Alan dean foster "flinx and pip series" my favorite series as a kid that NEVER seemed to get old ever

Kevin anderson "saga of the seven suns series" <-- most overlooked series IMO

The battle tech collection (various authors) like 200 books or so great reads and very overlooked

Alan dean foster "the damned trilogy"   ( not an epic type series but great nontheless)

robert buettner "the jason wander series"

Mike sheppard "chris longknife series"

julia czernada "stratification trilogy" & "trade pact trilogy"

Eric flint "1632 series"

Jack campbell "the lost fleet series"

if you need more ideas here is my good reads list

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/30244421