Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Mortal Coils by Eric Nylund

I am about halfway through this book and enjoying it very much and I am wondering if anyone else is reading it.  Also in the back of the book Eric has put a readers discussion guide.  I'm finding that if I use it then I don't read as fast because I'm looking for the answer to his questions.  If anyone is interested in discussing this book then I would like that very much.  It sounds like he has other books planned for this series but isn't giving any information on a possible next book.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic
0 Kudos

Re: Mortal Coils by Eric Nylund

What is it about?
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Here is what is on the back cover of the book.

NOTHING EXCITING EVER HAPPENED to fiftee-year-old orphans Eliot and Fiona, who are trapped in the strict, oppressive household of their grandmother.  A chance visit, however reveals that the twins are the offspring of a goddess and  Lucifer, Prince Of Darkness.

To settle the epic custody battle between the two families, the fallen angels create three diabolical temptations, and the gods fashion three heroic trials to test Eliot and Fiona.  The twins need to quickly learn how to use their budding supernatural abilities...for family allegiances are ever-shifting in the ancient secret world that they have entered, and only by sticking together will they be able to survive.

I hope that that helps you.  It really is a great book.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

I've got this book on my to-read pile but I'm waiting a while to see what the general populace says. I'm wary of books that are so over-hyped before being released...

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I didn't get it because I had heard a lot of hype about it.  I got it because the back cover sounded like a story I would like and I have.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
New User
ESNylund
0 Kudos

Thanks Toni,

If you have any comments or questions, I'd be happy to chat.

--Eric Nylund (eric@ericnylund.net)

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Eric,

It was interesting that on the back cover you mentioned Lucifer but throughout the book you refer to him as Louis and that he was not the top of the clan.  I also like that Fiona and Eric are stronger together but yet as any teenager they are also finding their individual nitches.  Character development was excellent.  I think I'm going to write my answers to your questions but not here because I don't want to spoil the book for others.

Do you have any idea when the next one comes out?  Must get the library to get this so others can read it.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
New User
ES_Nylund
0 Kudos

Toni,

Thanks for all the kind words.

I’m just about done writing the climax for the next in the series, ALL THAT LIVES MUST DIE. That book is turning out a tad longer than the first. It should be out, however, same time next year.

It’s a great idea to ask your local library to stock it! I’m a big fan of the library.

--Eric (eric@ericnylund.net)

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Eric,

I will be doing that tomorrow and be sure that I will be looking forward to the next book.  I appreciate you taking the time to visit and I hope that you will check back in often and comment on any others threads you like.  We like having authors visit.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Contributor
Barb_HendeeBH
0 Kudos

I just started this last night.  I'm only a few chapters in, but so far it's wonderful!

It's a very good story, and I love the tongue-in-cheek writing style.