Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Little_Jacky
0 Kudos

NEW to fantasy books..NEED ideas!

I absolutely love fantasy like vampires, weres, faries, dragons, witches, wizards, creatures, mystical worlds, magic and also greek mythology looove the gods and stories like the odyssey!

I need new books and I was wondering if anyone as any  suggestions..

THANKS!

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom

Re: NEW to fantasy books..NEED ideas!

Jacky,

Check out the Genre Priemer thread in Parnormal/Urban Fantasy.  Have you  read any of Andre Norton's Witch World series (witches) they are good.  Jennifer Roberson's Cheysuli Chronicles has shapechangers.  Any of Steven Brusts books are good.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Frequent Contributor
Little_Jacky
0 Kudos

No I haven't checked any of those books out but I will now! I'll have to take a look at that thread. I'm trying to take a break from Vamps for now since I've been on overload with them (not that I mind!) I just need something new :smileyhappy:

thanks!

~jacky

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Jacky,

If you really want to take a left turn....almost everything you like is in these books, but it's all comedy. Terry Pratchett's Discworld series has it all. Think Monty Python does Fantasy. Funniest books I ever read.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well Jacky you're in the right place for fantasy.

If you like a little romance in your reading you might try JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series about Vampires.

For a great fantasy read you might like Christopher Paolini's Inheritance Cycle which starts with Eragon. 

Just to get your feet wet 

Message Edited by dhaupt on 02-25-2009 09:26 AM
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Brad,

I myself have been reading the little things people say on the Discworld Series.  Everyone who reads them says they enjoy them.  I though of picking up the first one to start reading them, but...  I was not sure which one to start with.  What is the jist of what they are about?  I am glad to hear they have all the things that Jacky likes, which is what I also like hence me here.  LOL sorry had a moment.

Can you help me out with which one to start with?  There were soooo many books there I wasn't so sure where to start.  Thank you.

Mel

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom

Mel,

The Colour Of Magic was the very first Discworld book that  Sir Terry wrote and I think that is a good place to start.  The Light Fantastic is the second book.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Thank you Toni!!

Mel

Bradinator1

Melhay wrote:

Brad,

I myself have been reading the little things people say on the Discworld Series.  Everyone who reads them says they enjoy them.  I though of picking up the first one to start reading them, but...  I was not sure which one to start with.  What is the jist of what they are about?  I am glad to hear they have all the things that Jacky likes, which is what I also like hence me here.  LOL sorry had a moment.

Can you help me out with which one to start with?  There were soooo many books there I wasn't so sure where to start.  Thank you.

Mel

Mel,

Sir Terry Pratchetts Discworld books take place on a flat world, hence "Discworld" (and yes you can fall off the Edge!) that cruises through space on the back Atuan the Great Turtle. The first 2 books,  Color of Magic and Light Fantastic (Thanks Toni!), focus on Rincewind the Wizard. Rincewind has only one spell but he doesn't know what it does, just that it's really bad if he actually says it. Rincewind is a coward and the ultimate survivor. He somehow manages to come out the hero despite his best efforts. If you like Monty Python type British humor these are the best. There are at least 20 Discworld books, some of them are kind of standalone (characters and places that only appear once in the series) or recurring characters with a theme. It's all a parody but there are some real life messages to Sir Terry's work. Awesome series!

Brad

And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom

Brad and Mel and anyothers interested,

The 32 Discworld novel will be coming out In October 2009 and is titled The Unseen Academicals.  I will definitely be putting in my request at the library for it since I can't afford the Hardcover till it comes to the baragin book table.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Thanks Brad & Toni,

I picked up the first one.  It is now in the pile to be read.  I will get to it shortly here.

Thanks for the input, I do greatly appreciate it!!!

Mel

Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:

Brad and Mel and anyothers interested,

The 32 Discworld novel will be coming out In October 2009 and is titled The Unseen Academicals.  I will definitely be putting in my request at the library for it since I can't afford the Hardcover till it comes to the baragin book table.

Toni

October?! How amI supposed to wait that long?! Anybody got a time machine I can borrow? Anybody? From the title, I'd say that looks like either Rincewind or a little Arch Chancellor action there. Maybe both. Thanks for the info Toni! It's the 32nd?! I have really given Sir Terry a boatload of my money. It's worth every penny by the way. I still have the first Color of Magic I  bought waaaay back when.

Brad

Frequent Contributor
Little_Jacky
0 Kudos

wow.

Thanks so much I guess I need to get cracking since there is 32 of them! haha

sounds really interesting though so I'll def check them out.

I already started the J.R.Ward series and I love them too I'm waiting on the 3rd book as week speak...or type lol

thanks again!

~Jacky

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Little_Jacky wrote:

wow.

Thanks so much I guess I need to get cracking since there is 32 of them! haha

sounds really interesting though so I'll def check them out.

I already started the J.R.Ward series and I love them too I'm waiting on the 3rd book as week speak...or type lol

thanks again!

~Jacky

Oh my, Never?! read a disc world book before?!?!?

I recomend wrapping your chest up, because you are going to crack a rib laughing!

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

I am now a proud new owner of my very first Discworld Novel - The Color of Magic!!!:smileyvery-happy:  Hurray!!!  I am in the middle of a book currently so as soon as I am done with it I will be diving in to The Color of Magic.  I CAN NOT wait.  You all have made it sound wonderful.

Mel

Frequent Contributor
Little_Jacky
0 Kudos

Hey all

I looked up the discworld series and what is the age group for these books? Not that it matters if they're good books I was just curious if they were YA or adult books?

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Jacky,

Most of them are Adult but he did right a few for YA and they are Wee Free Men, A Hat Full Of Sky, and Wintersmith.  But really any age can enjoy these books.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Little_Jacky wrote:

Hey all

I looked up the discworld series and what is the age group for these books? Not that it matters if they're good books I was just curious if they were YA or adult books?

I'd say every age, however some of the jokes will go over the head of some kids. Kinda like Bulkwinkule cartoons. 

Frequent Contributor
Little_Jacky
0 Kudos

Yeaa.. you can't always tell with book covers whether they're adult /YA. lol
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Little_Jacky wrote:

Hey all

Actually Pratchett has written Discworld books for both adults and  YA. I just posted a thread that has all the "adult" Discworld stories. The YA ones are "Wee Free Men", "Hat Full of Sky", "Wintersmith" but I'm not that familiar with them. Also there is a Childrens Discworld book "Where's My Cow" (if you have little kids, you HAVE to make the sound effects, lol!).

Brad