Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
belongdownsouth
0 Kudos

Needs new books....Got any ideas?

I love books like Maximum Ride or any Tamora Pierce book

I like books with tough girls in them not like any girly girls

-Brenda

Sounds like life to me it ain’t no fantasy
It’s just a common case of everyday reality
Man I know it’s tough but you gotta suck it up
To hear you talk you’re caught up in some tragedy
It sounds like life to me
B&N Bookseller
melissas
0 Kudos

Re: Needs new books....Got any ideas?

You should check out the Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix. Sabriel & Lirael are definitely tough girls....after all, they're necromancers.

New User
BookLurver

[ Edited ]

Here are a few for u:

Tough girls: The Host, House of night series, Uglies series, Maximum Ride (yeah), and THE HUNGER GAMES SERIES (definitely tough)

Other great books: twilight, the maze runner, witch and wizard, eragon, inkheart, the house of the scorpion, the black tattoo...

any more? im all ears...

I. Will. Write!...Sometime
Frequent Contributor
H-Butterfield

You should read Rhapsody by Elizabeth Hayden. She was definitely a tough girl who didn't take crap from anyone.

HB

Contributor
Dark_AngelAB

The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins,  I adore those books (Katniss is awesome).  Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead, Morganville Vampires series by Rachel Caine (Rose and Claire are pretty tough).  Mediator series by Meg Cabot, Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare.

Hope I helped!

B&N Bookseller
Brody

Kindred by Octavia Butler, Un Lun Dun by China Mieville , Boneshaker by Cherie Priest, are three right off the top of my head with great, amazingly written female protanganists, that are so tough that it makes tough almost too wimpy of an adjective. 

Contributor
KellyB2

The house of Night series is great for a tough girl, and do not forget Dead Witch Walking series by Kim Harrison.  I love her so much that I am like her own personal billboard!

Kelly
Contributor
wetair
0 Kudos

the darkest powers series by kelley armstrong is good!

http://storytreasury.wordpress.com/
Contributor
belongdownsouth
0 Kudos

Thank you all for your suggestions!!!

Contributor
Shaina_2012
0 Kudos

I recommend The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop (and the rest of the supporting novels). The main characters include Jaenelle Angelline, Saetan SaDiablo, Daemon Sadi, and Lucivar Yaslana... Just read the first chapter and then try to put the book down!

Interred with Their Bones by Jennifer Lee Carrell is a fantastic murder mystery intertwined with Shakespeare both in the past and present.

Anne McCaffrey also has strong female characters. The Harper Hall Trilogy is fantastic and the character grows magnificently. There are music, dragons, and fire lizards!

I liked most of Inkheart, but I do not recommend Inkspell or Inkdeath because Meggie gets very wimpy.

Contributor
belongdownsouth
0 Kudos

thank you so much!! :smileyvery-happy: i'll write them all down! they sound good i've bever heard of any of them. i tried to read inkheart and althoughit was very good i guess it went kinda slow for me and i couldnt get through it

-Brenda

Distinguished Correspondent
SPCAT
0 Kudos

The Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. Mercy is so independent that make your teeth hurt went she knows that she should ask for help and doesn't, but that's why I love her.

" I will not be triumphed over " - Cleopatra
Contributor
belongdownsouth
0 Kudos

AWESOME!!! i am writing that one down too!!! LOL

Reader 2
maedhros83
0 Kudos

the Tour of the Merrimack series has a couple badass chicks in it.  One's a captain and the other is a slutty marine.

Contributor
belongdownsouth
0 Kudos

hmm...interesting i have never heard of that series thanks :smileyhappy:

Reader 2
maedhros83
0 Kudos

the Author of the Tour of the Merimack series is a woman as well.  She writes very strong female characters.  Even the minor ones are very strong.  The badass slutty marine is one of the central characters (on a side note, I don't think it's possible to write a girly marine).  While the badass first officer (later promotted to a captian) is very important, although her importance takes some time to develope throughout the series.

It's definitly one of the best space opera series i've ever read.  There's quite a bit more then just the strong female characters too.  Space Romans, alien hords, advance science, political comentary, encountering alien species, epic space battles, a badass, nihilistic, zombie cyborg, a sweetass captian.  it's just an all around great series.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Some of my favorite 'tough girls' are:

Rachel Morgan in a series spanning eight books to date (see the first book Dead Witch Walking (Rachel Morgan Series #1) ) (some sexual content);

Mercy Thompson in a series spanning five books to date (see the first book Moon Called (Mercy Thompson Series #1) (some sexual content);

Sabina Kane in a series spanning two books to dat (see the first book Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane Series #1) (no explicit sexual content to date, but it's only a matter of time);

Kate Daniels in a series of five books to date (see the first book Magic Bites (Kate Daniels Series #1) (no explicit sexual content until the fifth book);

Cat Crawfield (the Night Huntress) in a series spanning four books to date (see the first book Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress Series #1) (sexual content);

Charlie Madigan, a police investigator of supernaturals in a new series (see the first book The Better Part of Darkness (no explicit sexual content to date);

Evangeline Stone, a reincarnated supernatural hunter in a new series (see the first book Three Days to Dead (no explicit sexual content but probably just a matter of time; 

October ('Toby') Daye a fae investigator in a new mystery series (see the first book Rosemary and Rue  (limited sexual content); and,

Chess Putnam, an addicted witch/exorcist in a ghost infested world spanning a trilogy series (see the first book Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts Series #1) (some sexual content).

There's probably a lot more that I'm missing, but the above should give you a start.  Note I also love Jane True in Tempest Rising (Jane True Series #1) and Tracking the Tempest (Note, both have sexual content.) She's not tough yet, but she's getting there. The Cassandra Palmer series also features a semi-tough sybil who can time travel--change the future and is caught between a council of vamps and an association of war mages in a series spanning four books to date (see the first book Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer Series #1) (some explicit sexual content).