Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen

New HBO Trailer for GRRM's Game of Thrones!!!

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: New HBO Trailer for GRRM's Game of Thrones!!!

Paul,

Thanks for the trailer it looked very good.  I have not been able to ge through the first book yet and if i could afford HBO I would definitely watch it.  I have an audio copy of the book so I may give that a try.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Distinguished Correspondent
SPCAT

I like it, don't know if it will be good, sometimes no matter how hard they try it's never as good as the book. Haven't finish the series yet make it as far the 3rd book it just so much. I like it don't get me wrong but it's hard to stay focus on it. I get frustrated that the main characters never get a break, they are always running and can't trust anybody they get betray at every chance and the only friends they make need their protection more than themselves. It is kind of hard to read book after book where there's not hope or light at the end of the tunnel better yet there's no tunnel just a long deep dark cave that swallow them whole. WOW! Depress much, Books are amazing things they take you places you never been,make you feel love, hate, hope, despair, and so much more but this series make me feel such it despair for it's characters that I could not move on to next book no matter how much I want to know what happen to the them.

" I will not be triumphed over " - Cleopatra
Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

[ Edited ]

Love the choice of the Iron Throne as a setting to showcase the characters. All the actors, with perhaps the exception of the King, seem to really adhere to the characters described in the book. (The King looks a bit too soft to be a former warrior, IMO.) I'm gonna watch the first and second episodes for sure. From the HBO previews it looks like they took the time and effort needed to create the disparate places/settings of the book. I'm psyched but still wonder if they can pull it off. Plus, I wonder how the book will be converted into movie format. A book isn't a movie, and each requires different approaches. But, I hope it turns out great. 

TiggerBear

I'm likely to wait till it comes out on DVD. But I'll keep an eye out for it. If HBO pulls it off that'd be FANTASTIC!

TiggerBear

Thought you all might like to see the latest trailer

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2864422169/

dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

TiggerBear wrote:

Thought you all might like to see the latest trailer

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2864422169/

Thanks Tigger!:smileyhappy:

I'm not waiting for the dvds, I'm watching it as it's aired on HBO.:smileyvery-happy: Or, I'm recording it as it's aired on HBO.:smileywink: Don't have the patience to wait for the dvds. 

This last trailer has more substance. Plus, the latest short on HBO shows the sweeping cinematography. As I said before all the characters, w/the exception of the too soft king, really fit the roles. I do wish the Sean Bean had naturally black hair to fit the book description of the Starks. But, Bean wouldn't look right with dark hair. Kit Harrington as Jon Snow and Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen are particularly well type caste. I hope they can act.:smileytongue: 

Here's a link to the HBO site:www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/about/video/winter-is-coming.html. It shows the different shorts and the trailer in wider/larger pictures depending upon what opening scene you choose from the lower left of the page.  But, the actual clips keep hesitating on my computer. Your trailer is a damned sight better for viewing. 

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

I've found IMbD to be the smoothest site for trailer viewing.

Great for cast lists, episode lists, and actor I've been ins too. Which is often funny when an actor selects certain things not to be on their IMbD page.:smileywink:

pen21
0 Kudos

It looks like I need to get HBO. My son is tired of saving shows for me on his DVR. Plus he did set up that computer for me that works on a DVR, so I can save shows and watch when I want. This series looks really god.

dalnewt

Re: Game of Thrones: Lengthy Feature Trailer on HBO Tonight!

[ Edited ]

I just finished watching a lengthy feature 'sneak peek' of Game of Thrones on HBO.

That Game of Thrones 'sneak peek' will be repeated tonight at 11 P.M. ct on HBOw.

Note, it was very, very good. It started in the stark, black and white frozen wilderness beyond the wall. It started with the reality of white walkers.

I'm really looking forward to the April 17 premiere of Game of Thrones on HBO.

P.S. Paul or Tigger, maybe you can find this lengthy, (and supposedly exclusive) sneak peak somewhere and copy it to this thread.

paulgoatallen

Try this:

http://poptimal.com/2011/04/15-minute-sneak-preview-of-hbos-game-of-thrones/

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
pen21
0 Kudos

I watched the sneak peek last night. It looked very good.

Inspired Wordsmith
MADIS
0 Kudos

I have never read the books, but I just watched the sneak peek and it looks awesome!

Contributor
lenfrny
0 Kudos

I never read the series but had heard alot of good things about it. Downloaded the book onto my NOOK a few months ago, had no idea it was being made into a series. Looks like I will be starting it sooner rather than later......

dalnewt

Game of Thrones on HBO Tonight at 8P.M. CTl!!!

The first episode of GRRM's Game of Thrones is on HBO tonight at 8 p.m. central. Plus, HBO is airing some sort of introduction to the epic tv series at 7:45 p.m. central.

paulgoatallen

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO Tonight at 8P.M. CTl!!!

Right NOW would be a perfect time for GRRM to release A Dance with Dragons! Just saying...

Paul

dalnewt
0 Kudos

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO Tonight at 8P.M. CTl!!!

paulgoatallen wrote:

Right NOW would be a perfect time for GRRM to release A Dance with Dragons! Just saying...

Paul

Maybe you're right Paul, but I've gotta get off the computer and watch Game of Thrones!:smileyvery-happy: Bye for now!

dalnewt

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones: Repeats Tonight on HBO and HBOw!!!

The first episode of Game of Thrones is being repeated on HBO right now. It started at 9:05 p.m. central. It will again air on HBO at 10:15 P.M. central time. And, if you miss those HBO repeats, episode one will be aired on HBOw beginning at 11:00 p.m. central. 

I watched it and was blown away. Sumptuous and enthralling in a rugged/medieval way is how I'd describe it. This first episode closely follows the beginning chapters of the book by GRRM. There are deviations of course, but it's a very, very good adaptation! Note, some scenes are savage, raw and/or hard to watch. Also note there's some nudity and non-graphic scenes of sex. 

shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Yes the trailer is nice, makes me sad because I don't have HBO but, I might look to get this series' dvd sets. 

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Wordsmith
Sarah3973

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones: Repeats Tonight on HBO and HBOw!!!

dalnewt wrote:

The first episode of Game of Thrones is being repeated on HBO right now. It started at 9:05 p.m. central. It will again air on HBO at 10:15 P.M. central time. And, if you miss those HBO repeats, episode one will be aired on HBOw beginning at 11:00 p.m. central. 

I watched it and was blown away. Sumptuous and enthralling in a rugged/medieval way is how I'd describe it. This first episode closely follows the beginning chapters of the book by GRRM. There are deviations of course, but it's a very, very good adaptation! Note, some scenes are savage, raw and/or hard to watch. Also note there's some nudity and non-graphic scenes of sex. 

We watched it too.  I have not read the books, but am definitely going to have to now.  "Enthralling" is exactly the right word!  Definitely not a show for children, though.  The sex scenes were definitely on the savage side.  Other than that, I was glued to the TV.. cannot wait for next Sunday!

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown