Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

Re: New/Upcoming Fantasy/Sci-Fi Releases

[ Edited ]

Surrender to the Will of the Night (Instrumentalities of the Night Series #3), Vol. 3 was delivered today. The cover is AWESOME! The title could be a bit smaller, IMO, but the etherial figure is just wonderful. It doesn't really look like the solider Piper though, but I love it.

Hope you get ahold of the book soon. I won't say anything about it until I know that you have a copy. These books also take a while to read. The world is very complex, and the scenes are very realistic. I love reading this series.  

dalnewt
0 Kudos

I just came an alternate history/sci-fi book scheduled for release December 28 that intrigues me. I don't usually read sci-fi, but this book really appeals. I'm not going to copy everything that's said about the book, just click on the link and you'll get a really good idea of the book's content. Anyway, here's the link:

Galileo's Dream.  

dalnewt

[ Edited ]

The much anticipated sequel to the incomparable 

The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles Series #1) is scheduled for release March 1.

The Wise Man's Fear (Kingkiller Chronicles Series #2) will undoubtably be Feature #1 for March on this board. Our esteemed board moderator and professional book reviewer, Paul Goat Allen, read the book for PW, loved it and interviewed Patrick Rothfuss.  

I don't know what other books will be featured in March on this board. I'm sure PGA will shortly provide enlightenment. :smileyhappy: 

Anyway, I also came across an upcoming book by Feist that is getting rave reviews. The novel kicks off the final series in his Riftwar Cycle and is entitled

A Kingdom Besieged (Chaoswar Saga Series #1). It's scheduled for release April 12. Here are the reviews published on the B&N web site:

Editorial Reviews - A Kingdom Besieged (Chaoswar Saga Series #1)

From Barnes & Noble

In ten series and dozens of novels, Raymond E. Feist has rolled out the Riftwar Cycle, an ever-expanding fictional universe largely set in the worlds of Midkemia and Kelewan. In the very first novel, the 1982 Magician, Feist introduced Pug, an orphan boy who studies to become a wizard. In this launch volume of the final Riftwar Cycle trilogy, Pug is now a mature magician who has come to a decisive crossroad in his own life.

Contra Costa Times

“Feist has the universe firmly under his control, and the adventure is grand[.]”

SF Site

“There’s an evil sparkle here, brighter and hotter than any of Feist’s works since the Magician trilogy. The Dasati and their world are sumptuously realised . . . It’s an entertaining, at times intoxicating mixture.”

Science Fiction Chronicle

“This is a series that gets better as it goes along.”

Sydney Morning Herald

“Fine entertainment . . . Feist works his signature magic . . . an absorbing and carefully crafted adventure with pleasing density of plotting, good characterization . . . this is populist Dickens out of Tolkien, and it works.”

Adelaide Advertiser

“Shows Feist in top form.”

The Oregonian (Portland)

“Feist brings a new world alive.”

Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel

“A massive, entertaining tale.”

Chicago-Sun Times

“Feist has a natural talent for keeping the reader turning pages.”

Booklist

“The complexity of characterization here may surprise some, though not those who have followed Feist’s work over the years . . . A must, of course, for rapt readers of Talon of the Silver Hawk and King of Foxes.”

San Francisco Chronicle

“Sheer readability.”

Chicago Tribune

“CLASSIC.”

Chicago Sun-Times

“Feist has a command of language and a natural talent for keeping he reader turning pages.”

Locus

“FUN . . . A place to start for those yet to discover Feist’s fantasy worlds.”

San Diego Union-Tribune

“A promising start to what looks like a strong, dire trilogy of fantastic adventure.”

The Guardian

“The prose is smooth, the plot is exactly what you’d expect and the characters do exactly what Feist tells them . . . File under guilty pleasure.”

barnesandnoble.com

“[A] compelling and profoundly moving tale… an invaluable addition to a beloved canon.”

Library Journal

Now a mature magician, Pug is back in what will reportedly be the final trilogy in the long-running "Riftwar" cycle. Alas, he's starting to question everything, including his beloved son. Fans will want, of course; with a 75,000-copy first printing.

dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I think I'm going to get

A Kingdom Besieged (Chaoswar Saga Series #1) due out April 12.

And, for all those addicted to the YA Mortal Instruments series, don't forget that the fourth book is due out April 5.

City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments Series #4) Exclusive Edition 

dalnewt
0 Kudos

I just came across an intriguing book that appears to combine both Sci-Fi and Fantasy. It was released this March and is entitled 

The Season of Passage. Here's the professional review published on the B&N site:

Kirkus Reviews

Pike (Sati, 1990) leaves behind the young YA horror/suspense field to show what he can do with horror for adults and scores strongly—in a novel that covers many genres: suspense/fantasy/sf/horror. In 1996, the first unmanned space probe to land on Mars sent back sensational analyses (including secret pictures of huge footprints) before going dead. Four years later, the Russian crew of the manned Lenin loses contact in midmission. When the first American crew, which includes Dr. Lauren Wagner as medical officer, lands there in 2002, the mysteries expand rather than resolve, and author Pike hits top suspense with the American team discovering a Russian cosmonaut still alive in his bed in the orbiting Lenin, despite a freezing temperature in the ship. To be sure, he seemingly has no pulse and answers all questions with a fixed zombie grin that never wavers. When he leads the Americans below to comb the Martian surface by jeep and by foot, and then into a dark cave where they discover something very much like water, the reluctant reader begins shouting warnings. Meanwhile, back on earth, Lauren's sister, 13-year-old Jennifer, begins writing a fantasy tale about her life as the Princess Chaneen, a goddess among the Asurians, which somehow ties in with the vampires of Mars and for a while takes up alternate chapters with the sf/horror tale, though sf folks may not willingly accept the fantasy novel interwoven with the main text. Only Lauren and fellow astronaut Gary "survive" the Martian ordeal and return to earth where Jennifer has killed herself—or has she? At least she's been buried. But is the Princess Chaneen still around, to fight the vampire infection sent back to earthin the two astronauts called Lauren and Gary? Not without its ups and downs but, at its best, both riveting and a back-prickler.

Bibliophile
Melhay

Oh, these are some great books to watch for!  I did pick up the forth book in the Mortal Instruments world. :smileyhappy: I loved the first three. 

And I need to get back into Feist's world again. :smileyhappy: I'll have to get caught up before I get this new one though.

I've seen a few new ones around that will be coming out.

I really enjoyed reading Philippa Bellantine with Geist and then Chasing the Bard (which are both completely different reads).  But I loved her writing style.  And this is a new book she has partnered up with Tee Morris that sounds fun.

Phoenix Rising 

This sounds like a fun read!

These are dark days indeed in Victoria’s England. Londoners are vanishing, then reappearing, washing up as corpses on the banks of the river Thames, drained of blood and bone. Yet the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences- the Crown’s clandestine organisation whose baliwick is the strange and unsettling- will not allow its agents to investigate. Fearless and exceedingly lovely Eliza D Braun, however, with her bulletproof corset and a disturbing fondness for dynamite, refuses to let the matter rest..and she’s prepared to drag her timorous new partner, Wellington Books along with her into the perilous fray. 

For a malevolent brotherhood is operating in the deepening London shadows, intent upon the enslavement of all Britons. And Books and Braun- he with his encyclopedic brain and she with her remarkable devices- must get to the twisted roots of a most nefarious plot… or see England fall to the Phoenix.

I know this one is a YA read, but I just think it sounds amazing!

Enclave 

Oh man I've really enjoyed Ann Aguirre's books, and this sounds amazing.

WELCOME TO THE APOCALYPSE 

In Deuce's world, people earn the right to a name only if they survive their first fifteen years. By that point, each unnamed 'brat' has trained into one of three groups-Breeders, Builders, or Hunters, identifiable by the number of scars they bear on their arms. 

Deuce has wanted to be a Huntress for as long as she can remember. As a Huntress, her purpose is clear--to brave the dangerous tunnels outside the enclave and bring back meat to feed the group while evading ferocious monsters known as Freaks. She's worked toward this goal her whole life, and nothing's going to stop her, not even a beautiful, brooding Hunter named Fade. 

When the mysterious boy becomes her partner, Deuce's troubles are just beginning. Down below, deviation from the rules is punished swiftly and harshly, and Fade doesn't like following orders. At first she thinks he's crazy, but as death stalks their sanctuary, and it becomes clear the elders don't always know best, Deuce wonders if Fade might be telling the truth. 

Her partner confuses her; she's never known a boy like him before, as prone to touching her gently as to using his knives with feral grace. As Deuce's perception shifts, so does the balance in the constant battle for survival. The mindless Freaks, once considered a threat only due to their sheer numbers, show signs of cunning and strategy... but the elders refuse to heed any warnings. Despite imminent disaster, the enclave puts their faith in strictures and sacrifice instead. No matter how she tries, Deuce cannot stem the dark tide that carries her far from the only world she's ever known.

Then I read the first book and really enjoyed it.  So I'm looking forward to the second book coming out in June:

Shadow's Lure 

I really enjoyed Caim and his sidekick no one else can see, Kit.  I think we will be learning loads more of his past and his shadow ability. :smileywink:

In the wild frontiers of the North, life and death balance on a sword's edge.

Caim travels to this forbidding land in search of answers about his past, but the emergence of a new plot from the Shadow tosses him into a malestrom of death and deceit. Against a cunning foe that threatens not just his life, but his very soul, Caim must seek out the strength buried inside him. To free his homeland and himself, he must confront the Shadow's Lure . . .

Then there is a new fantasy novel, series, starting that I saw.  It sounds interesting and I'm game to give it a try:

Sword of Fire and Sea 

This sounds like an interesting read. :smileyhappy:

Three generations ago Captain Vidarian Rulorat's great-grandfather gave up an imperial commission to commit social catastrophe by marrying a fire priestess. For love, he unwittingly doomed his family to generations of a rare genetic disease that follows families who cross elemental boundaries. Now Vidarian, the last surviving member of the Rulorat family, struggles to uphold his family legacy, and finds himself chained to a task as a result of the bride price his great-grandfather paid: the Breakwater Agreement, a seventy-year-old alliance between his family and the High Temple of Kara'zul, domain of the fire priestesses.

The priestess Endera has called upon Vidarian to fulfill his family's obligation by transporting a young fire priestess named Ariadel to a water temple far to the south, through dangerous pirate-controlled territory. A journey perilous in the best of conditions is made moreso by their pursuers: rogue telepathic magic-users called the Vkortha who will stop at nothing to recover Ariadel, who has witnessed their forbidden rites.

Together, Vidarian and Ariadel will navigate more than treacherous waters: Imperial intrigue, a world that has been slowly losing its magic for generations, secrets that the priestesshoods have kept for longer, the indifference of their elemental goddesses, gryphons -- once thought mythical -- now returning to the world, and their own labyrinthine family legacies. Vidarian finds himself at the intersection not only of the world's most volatile elements, but of colliding universes, and the ancient and alien powers that lurk between them...

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Correspondent
susgod
0 Kudos

2 NookBooks by Robert A. Heinlein

Tunnel In The Sky  

PUB. DATE: 01/2011

"It was just a test . . .
But something had gone wrong. Terribly wrong. What was to have been a standard ten-day survival test had suddenly become an indefinite life-or-death nightmare.
Now they were stranded somewhere in the universe, beyond contact with Earth . . . at the other end of a tunnel in the sky. This small group of young men and women, divested of all civilized luxuries and laws, were being forced to forge a future of their own . . . a strange future in a strange land where sometimes not even the fittest could survive!"

Orphans Of The Sky

PUB. DATE: 01/24/2011

The Jordan Foundation sponsored the Proxima Centauri Expedition in 2119, in attempt to reach the nearer stars of the galaxy. But that was far in the mythic past. The original purpose of the Ship's epic voyage has long been forgotten, and gor generations the ginat spaceship, lost between the stars, is the only world that the people aboard have known. A strange civilization has evolved, with its own superstitions, savage religion, rigid class structure and mutant outcasts. Then, one young man discovers the truth about the Ship and changes everything, for ever... --

A new issue of Grantville Gazette!

Eric Flint's Grantville Gazette Volume 32   

Pub. Date: April 2011

The continuing adventures of Eric Flint's 1632 Universe include:

Gorg Huff  - "All Steamed Up."

Bjorn Hasseler - "Bibelgesellschaft."

Kerryn Offord - "A Marriage of Inconvenience."

Nicholas Keyser - "Requiem in Blue" is his resolution.

Terry Howard - "The Baptist Basement Bar and Grill."

Episode one of a new serial this issue byGarrett Vance - "Second Chance Bird"

dalnewt
0 Kudos

Hey Paul,

Have you heard anything about the June 7 release

Robopocalypse? It reminds me of the robot takeover in "I Robot" but it's described by one reviewer as being more like "The Body Snatchers."  Spielberg has bought the movie rights and some of the professional reviewers are decidedly sweet on the book. Then there's the PW review which describes the story as derivative and bland. Here are the reviews:

Editorial Reviews - Robopocalypse
From Barnes & Noble

Daniel H. Wilson, the author of this book, has a doctorate in robotics from prestigious Carnegie Mellon and his writing credits include the nonfiction How to Survive A Robot Uprising and How to Build a Robot Army. That knowledge alone should activate your senses as you enter Robopocalypse, a realm where robots run free and humans flee skittering in many directions. Told with the unfolding menace of The Invasion of the Body Snatchers, this novel will keep you up late and your computer unplugged.

From the Publisher

They are in your house. They are in your car. They are in the skies…Now they’re coming for you.

In the near future, at a moment no one will notice, all the dazzling technology that runs our world will unite and turn against us. Taking on the persona of a shy human boy, a childlike but massively powerful artificial intelligence known as Archos comes online and assumes control over the global network of machines that regulate everything from transportation to utilities, defense and communication. In the months leading up to this, sporadic glitches are noticed by a handful of unconnected humans – a single mother disconcerted by her daughter’s menacing “smart” toys, a lonely Japanese bachelor who is victimized by his domestic robot companion, an isolated U.S. soldier who witnesses a ‘pacification unit’ go haywire – but most are unaware of the growing rebellion until it is too late.

When the Robot War ignites -- at a moment known later as Zero Hour -- humankind will be both decimated and, possibly, for the first time in history, united. Robopocalypse is a brilliantly conceived action-filled epic, a terrifying story with heart-stopping implications for the real technology all around us…and an entertaining and engaging thriller unlike anything else written in years. 

Publishers Weekly

Roboticist Wilson (How to Survive a Robot Uprising) turns to fiction with this bland and derivative series of connected vignettes describing a rebellion by humanity's robot helpers. Looking back on the war, Cormac Wallace, soldier in the human resistance, offers portentous framing commentary for recordings taken by evil computer program Archos. Many of the accounts were obtained under torture or other extreme circumstances, yet the narrators are curiously devoid of feeling ("As I watch my blood smearing behind me on the tile floor, I think, shit, man, I just mopped that") as domestic robots kill, soldier robots go haywire, airplanes attempt to collide, people fight to survive, and a resistance forms. Steven Spielberg has optioned the property; perhaps the melodrama will play better on the screen than it does on the page. (June)

Library Journal

This is a fast-moving action story about a war in the near future between human and robot, as documented in a secret robot archive unearthed after the war is over. It starts when an artificial intelligence named Archos discovers that its creator intends to terminate it as he has its 13 predecessors. Archos, grabbing control of the lab and killing its creator, transmits a virus to other machines that turns them into its slaves. The change unfolds slowly: a child's "smart" toys threaten her; a soldier watches a U.S. "pacification unit" in Afghanistan run wild; a robot love object savages its suitor. By the time people realize their danger, the machines are in charge. Some people escape, but the robots reshape to become more efficient at hunting and killing humans. For most of the book, the robots are winning. That this reads like a movie scenario is not surprising; Steven Spielberg has committed to direct it as a feature film to be released in 2013. VERDICT Robotics engineer Wilson's first novel may sound like it's cloned from the Terminator films, but it offers enough on its own to attract a sizable reading audience. [See Prepub Alert, 12/6/10.]—David Keymer, Modesto, CA

Library Journal

Ever thought that technology was out to get you? In Wilson's thriller, it happens 20 years from now, when a powerful artificial intelligence called Archos rises up to kill its creator and then takes control of technology worldwide. In a matter of moments every piece of equipment turns against humanity—which ends up united for the first time ever. With Steven Spielberg set to direct the film version, to be distributed by Disney's Touchstone in 2013, you bet this will be big. Buy multiples.

Kirkus Reviews

In the not-too-distant future, a sentient computer program escapes from a research facility and initiates a bloody robot revolt against humankind.

Dr. Nicholas Wasserman knew his sentient computer program Archos' nearly infinite processing power rendered it too dangerous to exist outside the controlled environment of his research facility. But despite his efforts to contain it, Archos proves way too smart even for Dr. Wasserman: It figures out a way to kill its creator and escape, with the aim of saving all the innocent life-forms on the planet from the scourge of the human race. Once free, Archos manipulates a human drilling crew into creating a bunker in the wilds of Alaska and depositing a self-assembling unit to house itself in the safety of an underground crater left over from a nuclear test detonation. From there, it spreads to control machines around the world, and after setting the groundwork, causes them to either murder humans or enslave them in forced-labor camps. Archos' victory seems complete, until pockets of human resistance start to spring up around the world. Still, things are looking bad for the human race until a young girl comes along who, due to a half-completed operation by one of Archos' surgical robots, has an ability that might even the odds for the humans as they unite in a final drive to destroy Archos once and for all. The action in robotics doctorate Wilson's debut novel starts in the immediate aftermath of the eventual human victory over Archos' forces, and unfolds via a series of events recorded by the robots to mark key turning points in the war, as edited and annotated by a human soldier. This episodic structure lets Wilson skip from good bit to good bit without the expository drudgery and unnecessary, usually ham-fisted brand of "character development" via internal monologue that so often bogs down the narrative pace of books of this genre. As it is, things pop along at a wonderfully breakneck pace, and by letting his characters reveal themselves through their actions, Wilson creates characters that spring to life.

Vigorous, smart and gripping, this debut novel is currently being turned into a feature film directed by Steven Spielberg.

What People Are Saying

"Futurists are already predicting the day mankind builds its replacement, Artificial Intelligence. Daniel Wilson shows what might happen when that computer realizes its creators are no longer needed. Lean prose, great characters, and almost unbearable tension ensure that Robopocalypse is going to be a blockbuster. Once started I defy anyone to put it down." --Jack DuBrul, New York Times bestselling author)

A brilliantly conceived thriller that could well become horrific reality. A captivating tale, Robopocalypse will grip your imagination from the first word to the last, on a wild rip you won't soon forget. What a read unlike anything I've read before. --(Clive Cussler, #1 New York Times bestselling author)

Robopocalypse reminded me of Michael Crichton when he was young and the best in the business. This novel is brilliant, beautifully conceived, beautifully written (high-five, Dr. Wilson) but what makes it is the humanity. Wilson doesn't waste his time writing about 'things,' he's writing about human beings -- fear, love, courage, hope. I loved it. --(Robert Crais, New York Times bestselling author of The Sentry)

An Andromeda Strain for the new century, this is visionary fiction at its best: harrowing, brilliantly rendered, and far, far too believable. --(Lincoln Child, New York Times bestselling author of Deep Storm)

Correspondent
susgod
0 Kudos

April at B & N

Eric Flint's Grantville Gazette Volume 33

May at  Baen

http://www.webscription.net

5 Nook books by Frederik Pohl

Black Star Rising

Drunkard's Walk

Jem

Heechee Rendezvous

Homegoing

Alaska Republik by Stoney Compton

Alien Invasion by Travis S. Taylor and Bob Boan

Deadly Dreams by Andre Norton

Extremis by Steve White and Charles E. Gannon

Grantville Gazette Volume 34

and

Grantville Gazette Volume 35

created by Eric Flint edited by Paula Goodlett

Hard Magic: Book I of the Grimnoir Chronicles by Larry Correia

In Fire Forged: Worlds of Honor V by David Weber

Into the Hinterlands-ARC by David Drake and John Lambshead

Invasion: Book One of the Secret World Chronicle

by Mercedes Lackey, Steve Libby, Cody Martin, and Dennis Lee

dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I just came across

The Final Evolution. Although the B&N website contains no info about this book so far the PW review at Fiction Review: The Final Evolution by Jeff Somers looks very good.

PW Review 

The Final Evolution

Somers's gritty fifth science-fictional thriller (after 2010's The Terminal State) featuring Avery Cates, a killing machine in human form, is a violence-filled tale redeemed by Cates's hard-edged narrative voice. There is no prologue detailing Cates's convoluted backstory; instead, Somers draws readers in with witty dialogue and trusts them to catch up. Cates and his protégé, Remy, have taken on a murder-for-hire assignment targeting a Bolivian despot following the disintegration of the System of Federated Nations. Their client pays them in information about a man on Cates's personal hit list. What could be a standard hard-boiled, noirish plot is enhanced by science fiction elements: Cates has been physically augmented, and one of the obstacles in his path is an Angel, a person with psionic ability and delusions of a divine mandate to rule the world. Readers will enjoy the imaginative tale and look forward to more Cates adventures. (July)

Wordsmith
Sarah3973
0 Kudos

Maybe I missed it somewhere in this thread; but this is the one I can't wait for:

Deadline (Newsflesh Trilogy Series #2)  

Thankfully, it's only a week away!

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
dalnewt

I just asked on the Paranormal & UF board whether  

Deadline (Newsflesh Trilogy Series #2)  will be a June feature on this board. I fully expect him to come back with some response like, "That's a no-brainer. It will be June feature #1 (or 2 or 3)." He already started a thread about Deadline noting that PW gave it a starred review. (I wonder why the B&N web site doesn't publish that starred review?) Paul's Deadline thread can be found at Starred PW Review for Deadline , Mira Grant's Sequ.... You know, I'll just find and bump that thread. 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Prince of Thorns  

this August release is amazing, debut author who's day job is a research scientist in the field of artificial intelligence. He is an amazing storyteller, this is the first of a trilogy.

Pre-order, you will not be sorry

you can see my review in the August edition of RT reviews magazine.

here's the author's website http://www.princeofthorns.com/authorrbio.html

dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks to a post by Paul Goat Allen on the PUF board that revealed monthy Fiction Affliction reviews/lists of books in various categories, here is a link to the upcoming Sci-Fi releases in June: Fiction Affliction: Diagnosing June Releases in Science Fiction.

Note, this site will post upcoming Fantasy releases in June as well as June UF releases. It's a multi-purpose site, even extending into YA fantasy.:smileyvery-happy: (I assume that the holiday delayed the posting of the other Fiction Affliction lists.)  Thanks Paul for giving us this link!:smileyhappy:  

dalnewt
0 Kudos

Here's the Tor link for the upcoming June Fantasy releases: Fiction Affliction: Diagnosing June Releases in Fantasy. 

Wordsmith
Sarah3973

dalnewt wrote:

I just asked on the Paranormal & UF board whether  

Deadline (Newsflesh Trilogy Series #2)  will be a June feature on this board. I fully expect him to come back with some response like, "That's a no-brainer. It will be June feature #1 (or 2 or 3)." He already started a thread about Deadline noting that PW gave it a starred review. (I wonder why the B&N web site doesn't publish that starred review?) Paul's Deadline thread can be found at Starred PW Review for Deadline , Mira Grant's Sequ.... You know, I'll just find and bump that thread. 

I stayed up late so I could download the book at midnight. I started reading and so far, I am enjoying it.  Midnight is super late for me, so I only made it through a couple of chapters before zonking out.  But it's good so far!!!!

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
dalnewt
0 Kudos

I posted this on a thread in PUF board, but it really belongs on this board because it's epic steampunk adventure written by an unbelievably talented author. 

dalnewt wrote:
Ganymede  (Priest's 4th Clockwork Century novel - Sept. 27)

Cover Image

See synopsis and B&N review of Ganymede below:

Overview

The air pirate Andan Cly is going straight. Well, straighter. Although he’s happy to run alcohol guns wherever the money’s good, he doesn’t think the world needs more sap, or its increasingly ugly side-effects. But becoming legit is easier said than done, and Cly’s first legal gig—a supply run for the Seattle Underground—will be paid for by sap money.

New Orleans is not Cly’s first pick for a shopping run. He loved the Big Easy once, back when he also loved a beautiful mixed-race prostitute named Josephine Early—but that was a decade ago, and he hasn’t looked back since. Jo’s still thinking about him, though, or so he learns when he gets a telegram about a peculiar piloting job. It’s a chance to complete two lucrative jobs at once, one he can’t refuse. He sends his old paramour a note and heads for New Orleans, with no idea of what he’s in for—or what she wants him to fly.

But he won’t be flying. Not exactly. Hidden at the bottom of Lake Pontchartrain lurks an astonishing war machine, an immense submersible called the Ganymede. This prototype could end the war, if only anyone had the faintest idea of how to operate it…. If only they could sneak it past the Southern forces at the mouth of the Mississippi River… If only it hadn’t killed most of the men who’d ever set foot inside it.

But it’s those “if onlys” that will decide whether Cly and his crew will end up in the history books, or at the bottom of the ocean.

From Barnes & Nobel

Cherie Priest has been writing novels for years, but she really hit stride with her 2009 Boneshaker, her first Clockwork Century steampunk novel. Ganymede, the fourth installment of that durable series, follows air pirate Andan Cly as he takes off for New Orleans on his first legal gig. There is no chance, however, that the captain of the Naamah Darling is destined for a workaday lifestyle. Awaiting him in the Big Easy are a beautiful mixed race prostitute and an aerial assignment that could bring him glory—or extinction. A paperback and NOOK Book original.

dalnewt
0 Kudos

This first book, entitled

A Soldier's Duty, was released July 26th. It looks like the start of an interesting militaristic series featuring a feminine protagonist.

Overview

Ia is a precog, tormented by visions of the future where her home galaxy has been devastated. To prevent this vision from coming true, Ia enlists in the Terran United Planets military with a plan to become a soldier who will inspire generations for the next three hundred years-a soldier history will call Bloody Mary.

Publisher Weekly

Reminiscent of both Starship Troopers and Dune, this first of a projected series successfully balances its military and science fiction elements. As a teenager, Ia (a colonist from a heavy-gravity world) discovers that she is a precog and experiences visions of the devastation of our galaxy. She learns to follow the time lines, traces causality back to its source, and discovers that there is one path that will prevent this dreadful outcome. To foster this alternative future, she must forfeit her own dreams and join the Marine Corps of the Terran United Planets Space Force, where she undergoes rigorous training, bonds with her fellow officers, earns the respect of her superiors, and distinguishes herself in combat operations-all while manipulating events to put her in the right place at the right time. Johnson (Sons of Destiny) skillfully handles objections of predestination and makes it clear that Ia's abilities are no guarantee that she will succeed.

This second book, entitled

Germline, was released August 1. Note, this book was chosen by B&N Sci-Fi/Fantasy Bookseller as one of the best new releases. It continues the militaristic trend with a reporter who becomes embedded with marines fighting a subterranean war and romantically entangled with a genetically engineer solider. 

From Barnes & Nobel

This debut novel thrusts us forward a century in the future to a time when Russia and the U.S. are once again locked in war, this battling over the resources of mineral-rich Kazakhstan. As heavily armored troops and genetically engineered soldiers clash far beneath the surface of the earth, one brave man smells a Pulitzer. To get it, reporter Oscar "Scout" Wendell is willing to risk his life and his sanity covering a beat that is becoming a bloodbath. A mass market and NOOK Book original. (Hand-selling tip: T.C. McCarthy is a former C.I.A. analyst who served in both Iraq and Afghanistan.)

Publishers Weekly

McCarthy's compelling debut introduces Oscar "Scout" Wendell, a journalist and self-destructive adrenaline junkie who embeds with the Marines when Russia and the United States go to war over rich mineral deposits discovered in Kazakhstan. Plunged into a nightmarish world of subterranean combat and random death, Scout feels his identity slipping away as he and his fellows are reduced to faceless cogs in an infernal war machine. He finds an unexpected emotional anchor in Sophie, a genetically engineered super-soldier. Though Sophie soon begins to deteriorate, their romance never turns either mawkish or faux tragic. McCarthy, a geologist and former CIA analyst, crafts a portrait of the effects of battlefield stress that is difficult to bear but impossible to put down. Recalling the work of Remarque, Willi Heinrich, and especially Michael Herr, McCarthy's delirious narrative avoids cliché and raises intriguing questions about what it means to be human. (Aug.)

dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Here are links to September Fantasy and Sci-Fi releases: Fiction Affliction: Diagnosing September Releases in Fantasy and Fiction Affliction: Diagnosing September Releases in Science Fiction.

Note, I've already read and throughly enjoyed 

The Rift Walker. I'll also probably read the second installment in Elliot's Spiritwalker Trilogy entitled

Cold Fire, Book 2 in the Spiritwalker Trilogy, scheduled for release September 26, and Priest's 

Ganymede (Clockwork Century Series #4), scheduled for release September 27.

In addition, I came across an intriguing fantasy scheduled for release September 13. The book is entitled

The Night Circus

Overview.

The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love—a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.

True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus per­formers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead.

The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love—a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.

Written in rich, seductive prose, this spell-casting novel is a feast for the senses and the heart.

From Barnes & Nobel

"Opens at Nightfall; Closes at Dawn." The Le Cirque des Rêves is a circus unlike any other, just as this magical debut novel is equally unique. At the center of The Night Circus spectacle are two specially gifted young magicians, Celia and Marco, pitted against each other in professional competition, drawn towards one another in love. Erin Morgenstern's literary fantasy has already drawn raves for its captivating evocativeness: "A world of almost unbearable beauty.... A love story on a grand scale: it creates, it destroys, it ultimately transcends." "A novel so magical that there is no escaping its spell... If you choose to read just one novel this year, this is it.

Publishers Weekly

"Debut author Morgenstern doesn't miss a beat in this smashing tale of greed, fate, and love set in a turn of the 20th-century circus. Celia is a five-year-old with untrained psychokinetic powers when she is unceremoniously dumped on her unsuspecting father, Hector Bowen, better known as Le Cirque des Reves' Prospero the Entertainer. Hector immediately hatches a sinister scheme for Celia: pit her against a rival's young magician in an epic battle of magic that will, by design, result in the death of one of the players, though neither Celia nor her adversary, Marco, is informed of the inevitable outcome. What neither Hector nor his rival count on is that Celia and Marco will eventually fall in love. Their mentors—Marco's mentor, Alexander, plucked him from the London streets due to his psychic abilities—attempt to intervene with little success as Celia and Marco barrel toward an unexpected and oddly fitting conclusion. Supporting characters—such as Bailey, a farm boy who befriends a set of twins born into the circus who will drastically influence his future; Isobel, a circus employee and onetime girlfriend of Marco's; and theatrical producer Chandresh Christophe Lefèvre—are perfectly realized and live easily in a giant, magical story destined for bestsellerdom. This is an electric debut on par with Special Topics in Calamity Physics. (Sept.)

Another promising Setember 13 release is a new dystopic thriller entitled 

Forbidden

Overview 

New York Times bestselling author Ted Dekker teams with Tosca Lee to create this gripping thriller set in a desolate future.

Many years have passed since civilization's brush with apocalypse. The world's greatest threats have all been silenced. There is no anger, no hatred, no war. There is only perfect peace... and fear. But a terrible secret has been closely guarded for centuries: Every single soul walking the earth, though in appearance totally normal, is actually dead, long ago genetically stripped of true humanity.

Fleeing pursuit, with only moments to live, a young man named Rom stumbles into possession of a vial of blood and a piece of cryptic writing. When consumed, the blood will bring him back to life. When decoded, the message will lead him on a perilous journey that will require him to abandon everything he has ever known and awaken humanity to the transforming power of true life and love.

But the blood will also resurrect hatred, ambition, and greed.

Set in a terrifying, medieval future, where grim pageantry masks death, this tale of dark desires and staggering stakes peels back the layers of the heart for all who dare to take the ride.in a terrifying, medieval future, where grim pageantry masks death, this tale of dark desires and staggering stakes peels back the layers of the heart for all who dare to take the ride. 

Publishers Weekly

A new trilogy and a new partnership begins with Dekker (The Bride Collector) and Lee (Havah) in the first of The Books of Mortals series. In the distant future, a dystopian world is ruled by The Order that controls humanity by genetically removing all emotions but fear. When young Rom Elias receives a cryptic message written on animal skin and a vial of blood from a man who seems to know a lot about his father's death, he risks everything to escape the Order and find out what the vellum and vial mean. He must convince friends and family to drink from the vial in order to feel human emotion again. This sets off a chain of events that will pit love and self-sacrifice against the dark emotions of hatred and greed. There's a new writing partner, but this is still true-blue Dekker, with mammoth twists and head-pounding turns that will have readers and book clubs debating the roles of emotion and logic that drive human existence. (Sept.)

AUGUST 29 2011
dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Mistake--posted on wrong board-if you see this Paul please delete.