Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

New/Upcoming Fantasy/Sci-Fi Releases

SciFiCanuck came up with the excellent idea to start a thread dedicate to upcoming UF releases. When, (or if), the Fantasy/Sci-Fi and Paranormal/Urban Fantasy boards are merged, I expect SciFiCanuck's thread to take precedence; but, until then, I thought it was a good idea to create a thread dedicated to new/upcoming Fantasy & Sci-Fi releases that have no dedicated discussion thread(s).

Here are a few new/upcoming fantasy/sci-fi releases that caught my attention. 

Lord of the Silent Kingdom (Instrumentalities of the Night Series #2), scheduled for released August 17 aqs a followup to Glen Cook's The Tyranny of the Night (Instrumentalities of the Night Series #1) that's described as an action-packed dark military fantasy saga.

Nights of Villjamur scheduled for release September 29 that's described as an epic Norse fantasy series.

The Conqueror's Shadow released in hardcover form this February, scheduled for paperback release December 28 that's described as an epic and humorous dark fantasy.

Also, although this book is best described as an action/mystery Urban Fantasy,

Death Most Definite looks very appealing and features a male protagonist.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: New/Upcoming Fantasy/Sci-Fi Releases

Lord of the Silent Kingdom (Instrumentalities of the Night Series #2) came out in hardcover back in 2007.

We talked about it in one of the threads way back when – it's a great series, by the way. My B&N Review is below. The long-awaited third – and final – installment, tentatively entitled Surrender to the Will of the Night, is supposed to be released in November!

Paul

The Barnes & Noble Review
The first volume of Glen Cook's Instrumentalities of the Night saga (2005's The Tyranny of the Night) marked the author's triumphant return to epic, down-and-dirty, military-powered fantasy. Highly reminiscent of his classic Black Company novels (Soldiers Live, Water Sleeps, et al.), the second installment of the later series sees protagonist Piper Hecht (Captain-General of the armies fighting crusades for insane Patriarch Sublime V) knee-deep in political, religious and existential turmoil. With a bloody, all-out war brewing between the Patriarch -- obsessed with reclaiming the Holy Lands from the infidels and stamping out all heretics -- and any number of potentially hostile factions, Hecht must somehow survive the numerous attempts on his life long enough to figure out what mysterious part he is to play in this unfathomably deep conflict -- one that includes centuries-old sorcerers, dying dark magic, secret societies, and the ever-looming Instrumentalities of the Night, otherworldly monstrosities that have been quietly moving closer and closer to humanity...

While Cook is obviously no stranger to grand-scale storytelling, the Instrumentalities of the Night saga is his most ambitious project to date. With dozens of integral characters and a thick tapestry of plots and subplots, Cook's narrative mastery is epitomized in the saga's many subtly allegorical and profoundly moving themes -- for example, spirituality and religious tolerance. ("There is the endless struggle on behalf of God, the war for heaven fought on earth. It is the war that never ends because the divine touches no two minds the same and few men credit any revelation but their own.") So much more than the sum of its parts, Cook's Instrumentalities of the Night is, simply put, a masterwork from one of the giants of the genre. Paul Goat Allen

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1

Just chiming in here. This is a really good series for him Cook. His characters are maybe even more developed and 3D than Black Company. I'm waiting impatiently for the next one in November. New "Garrett" novel just before this release in October too. back to back Cook work out really well for me.

B.

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
dalnewt

paulgoatallen wrote:

Lord of the Silent Kingdom (Instrumentalities of the Night Series #2) came out in hardcover back in 2007.

We talked about it in one of the threads way back when – it's a great series, by the way. My B&N Review is below. The long-awaited third – and final – installment, tentatively entitled Surrender to the Will of the Night, is supposed to be released in November!

Paul

The Barnes & Noble Review
The first volume of Glen Cook's Instrumentalities of the Night saga (2005's The Tyranny of the Night) marked the author's triumphant return to epic, down-and-dirty, military-powered fantasy. Highly reminiscent of his classic Black Company novels (Soldiers Live, Water Sleeps, et al.), the second installment of the later series sees protagonist Piper Hecht (Captain-General of the armies fighting crusades for insane Patriarch Sublime V) knee-deep in political, religious and existential turmoil. With a bloody, all-out war brewing between the Patriarch -- obsessed with reclaiming the Holy Lands from the infidels and stamping out all heretics -- and any number of potentially hostile factions, Hecht must somehow survive the numerous attempts on his life long enough to figure out what mysterious part he is to play in this unfathomably deep conflict -- one that includes centuries-old sorcerers, dying dark magic, secret societies, and the ever-looming Instrumentalities of the Night, otherworldly monstrosities that have been quietly moving closer and closer to humanity...

While Cook is obviously no stranger to grand-scale storytelling, the Instrumentalities of the Night saga is his most ambitious project to date. With dozens of integral characters and a thick tapestry of plots and subplots, Cook's narrative mastery is epitomized in the saga's many subtly allegorical and profoundly moving themes -- for example, spirituality and religious tolerance. ("There is the endless struggle on behalf of God, the war for heaven fought on earth. It is the war that never ends because the divine touches no two minds the same and few men credit any revelation but their own.") So much more than the sum of its parts, Cook's Instrumentalities of the Night is, simply put, a masterwork from one of the giants of the genre. Paul Goat Allen

I'm going to read the first two Insturmentalities of the Night books (entitled The Tyranny of the Night (Instrumentalities of the Night Series #1) Lord of the Silent Kingdom (Instrumentalities of the Night Series #2)  before the third one,

Surrender to the Will of the Night (Instrumentalities of the Night Series #3), Vol. 3, comes out this fall.    

dalnewt
0 Kudos

Well, I just ordered 

Tongues of Serpents of Temeraire which will be released tomorrow. For anyone who loves a good dragon story, the Temeraire series can't be beat in my estimation. The first book is entitled His Majesty's Dragon. It's an innovative combination of historical fiction and fantasy which has manned, battle-ship like dragons battling in mid-air over the England as part of the Napoleonic war. This is really a spectacular dragon/alternate history fantasy series.    

dalnewt
0 Kudos

In addition to Brandon Sanderson's

The Way of Kings, scheduled for release August 31 (and one of my intended future reads), the following new fantasy release for August has captured my interest.

The Black Prism, scheduled for release August 25, and written by the author of the Night Angel series. Here's the synopsis:

From Barnes & Noble

In a world where light is the basis of all magic, Gavin Guile is the Prism who stands at the center of all power and peace. But behind the majesty are shadows of secrets: Gavin's brother Javen sits in a remote dungeon and his son Kip has grown to adulthood in a remote land, far from the truths of the realm. The launch volume of Brent Weeks' Lightbring Trilogy has already a stellar review from Terry Brooks: "I was mesmerized from start to finish. Unforgettable characters, a plot that kept me guessing, and non-stop action." Worth recommending. (Hand-selling tip: Brent Weeks is a master of epic fantasy as demonstrated by his Night Angel Trilogy, which has sold over 400,000 copies.)

From the Publisher

Gavin Guile is the Prism, the most powerful man in the world. He is high priest and emperor, a man whose power, wit, and charm are all that preserves a tenuous peace. But Prisms never last, and Guile knows exactly how long he has left to live: Five years to achieve five impossible goals. But when Guile discovers he has a son, born in a far kingdom after the war that put him in power, he must decide how much he's willing to pay to protect a secret that could tear his world apart.

dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I didn't mention perhaps the best new upcoming release because right now I'm reading the Arc for that book entitled "Antiphon" by Ken Scholes. It's a great read. Despite being given the free Arc, I'm going to buy the hardcover version (because Arcs never stay together in the long run which I know because I bought a barely used Arc once and it fell apart on me). So, for all those who love a good epic fantasy, join me and read

Antiphon, scheduled for release September 14. (Note, it's the third book in this stellar epic fantasy saga preceded by Lamentation (Psalms of Isaak Series #1) and  Canticle (Psalms of Isaak Series #2).  

Here's the professional review of the book published on the B&N site (which I can't look at too closely because I'm reading the book in sections with a reading group), as follows:

Publishers Weekly

The third installment of Scholes's grand-scale Psalms of Isaak saga (after 2009's Canticle) expands the genre-blending narrative in glorious style. The secret revival of the bloody Y'Zirite religion, which may be an elaborate conspiracy created generations ago to bring down the Androfrancine Order, has brought madness to the Named Lands. Gypsy King Rudolfo, whose infant son is being called the "Child of Promise" by the cultists, finds blood-magicked spies in his home and enemies in his forest. And as the invisible enemy furthers its masterfully orchestrated invasion, Rudolfo and others hear an ethereal music that seems to require some kind of response. A diverse cast of dynamic characters, a tantalizingly labyrinthine mystery, a world full of wonders, and powerful symbolism and imagery power this seamless merging of epic fantasy and science fiction. (Sept.)

dalnewt
0 Kudos

In addition to Antiphon  mentioned above, another great fantasy book, (the fourth in the Shadows of the Apt series), is coming next month. I'm totally addicted to this grand scale Shadows of the Apt fantasy series and totally invested in the various fates of the primary characters. This fourth installment is entitled

Salute the Dark and is set for release September 1. Books one through three are entitled Empire in Black and Gold (Shadows of the Apt Series #1) Dragonfly Falling (Shadows of the Apt Series #2) Blood of the Mantis (Shadows of the Apt Series #3) . It's a great series that features humans who have taken on superhuman qualities/attributes of various totem (man-sized) insects. Here's the PW review of Salute the Dark:

Publishers Weekly

Tchaikovsky's fourth Shadows of the Apt installment is that rarest of gems in series fantasy: an intermediate book in which genuinely decisive events occur. Despite the best efforts of resistance leader Stenwald and his allies, the Wasp Empire seems fated to conquer the entire known world, forcibly assimilating the other insect-themed kinden into their brutal society. The empire faces its own doom in the form of vampiric sorcerer Uctebri, whose possession of the Shadow Box allows him to covertly dominate the empire's ruler. Vast armies clash, but in the end the conflicts are determined by individual choices. Tchaikovsky tests all his characters in the full knowledge that many will fail, some heroically and others in despair. Readers who like their military fantasy to come with real consequences will be completely enthralled. (Sept.)

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

dalnewt wrote:

In addition to Brandon Sanderson's

The Way of Kings, scheduled for release August 31 (and one of my intended future reads), the following new fantasy release for August has captured my interest.

The Black Prism, scheduled for release August 25, and written by the author of the Night Angel series. Here's the synopsis:

From Barnes & Noble

In a world where light is the basis of all magic, Gavin Guile is the Prism who stands at the center of all power and peace. But behind the majesty are shadows of secrets: Gavin's brother Javen sits in a remote dungeon and his son Kip has grown to adulthood in a remote land, far from the truths of the realm. The launch volume of Brent Weeks' Lightbring Trilogy has already a stellar review from Terry Brooks: "I was mesmerized from start to finish. Unforgettable characters, a plot that kept me guessing, and non-stop action." Worth recommending. (Hand-selling tip: Brent Weeks is a master of epic fantasy as demonstrated by his Night Angel Trilogy, which has sold over 400,000 copies.)

From the Publisher

Gavin Guile is the Prism, the most powerful man in the world. He is high priest and emperor, a man whose power, wit, and charm are all that preserves a tenuous peace. But Prisms never last, and Guile knows exactly how long he has left to live: Five years to achieve five impossible goals. But when Guile discovers he has a son, born in a far kingdom after the war that put him in power, he must decide how much he's willing to pay to protect a secret that could tear his world apart.

Ahhh, both of these are on my radar. :smileyhappy: I have not read anything by Brent Weeks yet.  Although I think I have the first book in his trilogy sitting here to get to.  But I like the premises of this one (The Black Prism).  Looking forward to both books.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Do you all want me to start listing books?

I have a whole list going until the end of the year, and I am sure there are some I don't have listed that I want as well. :smileyhappy:

Mockingjay (Hunger Games Series #3) 

I know this one is an YA read.  But I am hooked on it.  I have to know how it all ends.

Diving Mimes, Weeping Czars and Other Unusual Suspects 

The pictures not in the system yet for this one.  But I think I have to add to my Ken Scholes collection with this one.  The short stories in print (other than my printer print. :smileywink: )

Then I start to get into September

Cold Magic 

I am really curious about this one.  It sounds very interesting to me.  I think I want to get it to check it out.  But I have to make room on my list to get to it.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

I have a whole list going until the end of the year, and I am sure there are some I don't have listed that I want as well. :smileyhappy:

I know this one is an YA read.  But I am hooked on it.  I have to know how it all ends.

The pictures not in the system yet for this one.  But I think I have to add to my Ken Scholes collection with this one.  The short stories in print (other than my printer print. :smileywink: )

Cold Magic 

I am really curious about this one.  It sounds very interesting to me.  I think I want to get it to check it out.  But I have to make room on my list to get to it.

Melissa:

I've already read Cold Magic – I'm not a big Kate Elliott fan but I really enjoyed this one!  :smileyhappy:

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Reader
Heinleinfan
0 Kudos

The Legacy of Balthazar  

If you're looking for something original you should check this one out.  It's a great blend of mostly science fiction with just a little fantasy thrown in, all done in such a way that practically anyone can follow the storyline.

SlaughterS
0 Kudos

dalnewt wrote:

... I'm totally addicted to this grand scale Shadows of the Apt fantasy series and totally invested in the various fates of the primary characters. This fourth installment is entitled

Salute the Dark and is set for release September 1. Books one through three are entitled Empire in Black and Gold (Shadows of the Apt Series #1) Dragonfly Falling (Shadows of the Apt Series #2) Blood of the Mantis (Shadows of the Apt Series #3) . It's a great series that features humans who have taken on superhuman qualities/attributes of various totem (man-sized) insects. Here's the PW review of Salute the Dark:

Sounds real good.  Too bad there is no ebook version of any of the books in the series. Otherwise I would download it now. :smileysad:

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Cold Magic 

Melissa:

I've already read Cold Magic – I'm not a big Kate Elliott fan but I really enjoyed this one!  :smileyhappy:

Paul

Hey Paul, That says a LOT about this book.  I like the sounds of the premises of the book.  And if you enjoyed it, well it got moved up on the list to HAVE to get.  :smileyhappy: Thanks!

Melissa

dalnewt
0 Kudos

Notable releases in late September and October range from a new Sci-Fi series compliments of Dan Weber to Civil War Steampunk from Cherie Priest to a reprint of a chilling Halloween tale from Norman Patridge. Further, del Toro's sequel to The Strain (Strain Trilogy #1), entitled The Fall (Strain Trilogy #2), was released in mid-September, and it looks like a new Drizzt series, written by R. A. Salvatore, is scheduled for release September 28. Plus, N. K. Jemisin's The Broken Kingdoms (Inheritance Series #2) will be released November 3, and the concluding book of Glen Cook's Instrumentalities trilogy, Surrender to the Will of the Night (Instrumentalities of the Night Series #3), Vol. 3, is scheduled for release November 23. I've set forth below the above-mentioned books to be released (or re-released) in late September and October.

Out of the Dark 

Dan Weber, September 28, 2010

From the Publisher

The Galactic Hegemony has been around a long time, and it likes stability—the kind of stability that member species like the aggressive, carnivorous Shongairi tend to disturb. So when the Hegemony Survey Force encountered a world whose so-called "sentients"—"humans," they called themselves—were almost as bad as the Shongairi themselves, it seemed reasonable to use the Shongairi to neutralize them before they could become a second threat to galactic peace. And if the Shongairi took a few knocks in the process, all the better.

Now, Earth is conquered. The Shongairi have arrived in force, and humanity’s cities lie in radioactive ruins. In mere minutes, more than half the human race has died.

Master Sergeant Stephen Buchevsky, who thought he was being rotated home from his latest tour in Afghanistan, finds himself instead prowling the back country of the Balkans, dodging alien patrols and trying to organize scattered survivors without getting killed. And in the southeastern US, firearms instructor and former Marine Dave Dvorak finds himself at the center of a growing network of resistance—putting his extended family at lethal risk, but what else can you do?

On the face of it, Buchevsky’s and Dvorak’s chances look bleak, as do prospects for the rest of the surviving human race. But it may well be that Shongairi and the Hegemony alike have underestimated the inhabitants of that strange planet called Earth…

Publishers Weekly

Expanded from a short story that first appeared in George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois's anthology Warriors, this trilogy kickoff blends elements of military science fiction and dark fantasy. In the very near future, Earth has been targeted for colonization by a galactic empire known as the Hegemony. Deemed "lunatic local sentients" by a survey team that witnessed King Henry V and his troops slaughtering the French at Agincourt, humankind has essentially been written off as bloodthirsty, expendable barbarians. When the Hegemony's henchmen, the doglike Shongairi, show up to conquer Earth, the resistance is beyond anything they had ever imagined, especially when vampires appear to help the humans. Weber pulls off this conceit in audacious style with a focus on military-powered action that will thrill fans of his Honor Harrington series, and he keeps the pedal to the metal right up to the almost unbelievable conclusion. (Oct.)

Dreadnought 

Cherie Priest September 28

From the Publisher

Nurse Mercy Lynch is elbows deep in bloody laundry at a war hospital in Richmond, Virginia, when Clara Barton comes bearing bad news: Mercy’s husband has died in a POW camp. On top of that, a telegram from the west coast declares that her estranged father is gravely injured, and he wishes to see her. Mercy sets out toward the Mississippi River. Once there, she’ll catch a train over the Rockies and—if the telegram can be believed—be greeted in Washington Territory by the sheriff, who will take her to see her father in Seattle.

Reaching the Mississippi is a harrowing adventure by dirigible and rail through war-torn border states. When Mercy finally arrives in St. Louis, the only Tacoma-bound train is pulled by a terrifying Union-operated steam engine called the Dreadnought. Reluctantly, Mercy buys a ticket and climbs aboard.

What ought to be a quiet trip turns deadly when the train is beset by bushwhackers, then vigorously attacked by a band of Rebel soldiers. The train is moving away from battle lines into the vast, unincorporated west, so Mercy can’t imagine why they’re so interested. Perhaps the mysterious cargo secreted in the second and last train cars has something to do with it?

Mercy is just a frustrated nurse who wants to see her father before he dies. But she’ll have to survive both Union intrigue and Confederate opposition if she wants to make it off the Dreadnought alive.

Publishers Weekly

An intimate, well-crafted portrait of a nurse on a mission adds depth to this exceptional Civil War steampunk thriller, the self-contained sequel to 2009’s Locus Award winning Boneshaker. Mercy Lynch, recently widowed and taxed to exhaustion by caring for Confederate wounded in Richmond, must cross the war-torn nation to reach her estranged father, who lies dying in the Washington territories. After her dirigible is shot out of the air, Mercy joins Horatio Korman, a Texas Ranger with an agenda, on the Union’s famous steam engine, the Dreadnought. On their trail are desperate Confederate soldiers and a zombified Mexican legion. The battles and intrigue are entertaining, but the real draw is Priest’s latest no-nonsense heroine, who comes equipped with a full measure of sharp judgment and brutal competence as well as a nurse’s kind (but not saintly) heart. (Oct.)

Gauntlgrym, Neverwinter, Book I

R. A. Salvatore, October 2010

From the Publisher

Drizzt joins Bruenor on his quest for the fabled dwarven kingdom of Gauntlgrym: ruins said to be rich with ancient treasure and arcane lore. But before they even get close, another drow and dwarf pair stumbles across it first: Jarlaxle and Athrogate.  In their search for treasure and magic, Jarlaxle and Athrogate inadvertently set into motion a catastrophe that could spell disaster for the unsuspecting people of the city of Neverwinter—a catastrophe big enough to lure even the mercenary Jarlaxle into risking his own coin and skin to stop it. Unfortunately, the more they uncover about the secret of Gauntlgrym, the more it looks like they can’t stop it on their own. They’ll need help, and from the last people they ever thought to fight alongside again: Drizzt and Bruenor.

The Fall (Strain Trilogy #2) 

Guillermo del Toro, released September 21, 2010

From the Publisher

The second in the New York Times bestselling trilogy that began with The Strain-about an invasion of vampires-by one of Hollywood's most popular and imaginative storytellers, the creator of the Oscar-winning Pan's Labyrinth.

The vampiric virus unleashed in The Strain has taken over New York City. It is spreading across the country and soon, the world. Amid the chaos, Eph Goodweather, head of the CDC's team and one of a small group who have banded together to fight the bloodthirsty monsters that roam the streets, finally manages to identify the parasite that causes the infection. But it may be too late.

Ignited by the Master's horrific plan, a war erupts between Old and New World Vampires, each side vying for control of the planet. As the virus continues to plague the land, humans find themselves caught in the middle of the conflict . . . and at the bottom of the food chain. They are no longer the consumers, but the consumed.

At the same time, the battle finds its way inside Eph's own home: his ex-wife, Kelly, who was turned by the Master, has her sights fixed on Zack, Eph's son. 

With the future of the world in the balance, Eph and his team of fighters must use all their skills and Holocaust survivor and former professor Abraham Setrakian's intimate knowledge of the enemy to combat a terror whose ultimate plan is more terrible than the humans at first imagined-a fate worse than annihilation.

Library Journal

The writer/director of Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy and Hogan pair up again for the follow-up to their best-selling debut, The Strain. A vampiric virus has conquered New York City and threatens to spread across the country and around the world. CDC team leader Eph Goodweather takes to the streets to combat these savage creatures who are locked in their own war. The Old World Ancients are raging against the New World vampires in a grudge match to dominate the planet. Driving this conflict is the Master, a clever and astute orchestrator of chaos. VERDICT Fast-paced, action-packed, and even better than the first volume, this fun and scary read is highly recommended for thriller and horror fans. Newcomers to the trilogy will have no trouble following the story line. Buy multiple copies. [See Prepub Alert, LJ 5/15/10.]—Carolann Curry, Mercer Univ. Medical Lib., Macon, GA

Dark Harvest 

Norman Partridge, reprint release September 28 

From the Publisher

Halloween, 1963. They call him the October Boy, or Ol’ Hacksaw Face, or Sawtooth Jack. Whatever the name, everybody in this small Midwestern town knows who he is. How he rises from the cornfields every Halloween, a butcher knife in his hand, and makes his way toward town, where gangs of teenage boys eagerly await their chance to confront the legendary nightmare. Both the hunter and the hunted, the October Boy is the prize in an annual rite of life and death. 

Pete McCormick knows that killing the October Boy is his one chance to escape a dead-end future in this one-horse town. He’s willing to risk everything, including his life, to be a winner for once. But before the night is over, Pete will look into the saw-toothed face of horror—and discover the terrifying true secret of the October Boy . . .

Winner of the Stoker Award and named one of the 100 Best Novels of 2006 by Publishers Weekly, Dark Harvest is a powerhouse thrill-ride with all the resonance of Shirley Jackson’s "The Lottery."

Norman Partridge, a two-time Stoker Award-winner, has published three short story collections, several comics, and five novels. He lives in California.

Winner of the Stoker Award and named one of the 100 Best Novels of 2006 by Publishers Weekly, Dark Harvest takes place during Halloween of 1963 in a small Midwestern town. They call him the October Boy, or Ol’ Hacksaw Face, or Sawtooth Jack. Whatever the name, everybody in town knows who he is. How he rises from the cornfields every Halloween, a butcher knife in his hand, and makes his way toward town, where gangs of teenage boys eagerly await their chance to confront the legendary nightmare. Both the hunter and the hunted, the October Boy is the prize in an annual rite of life and death.

Pete McCormick knows that killing the October Boy is his one chance to escape a dead-end future in this one-horse town. He’s willing to risk everything, including his life, to be a winner for once. But before the night is over, Pete will look into the saw-toothed face of horror—and discover the terrifying true secret of the October Boy.

“If you’re looking for a scary Halloween tale, with lots of blood and gore—and candy—you’ve come to the right place.”—Rocky Mountain News

“Using a quick, lean prose reminiscent of the finest Gold Medal-era fiction and, at the same time, as fresh as a Quentin Tarantino film, Partridge packs more into this slim volume than most authors do in a bloated 600-page epic.”—The Austin Chronicle

“Probably the most exciting and original voice in horror literature to have appeared in the last decade.”—Peter Straub

“A major new talent.”—Stephen King

"At the start of this mesmerizing new fantasy from Partridge, it's Halloween night in 1963 in Anytown, U.S.A., and the local teenage boys are ramping up for the annual hunt for the October Boy, a pumpkin-headed being cultivated by the town fathers to run the gauntlet each All Hallows' Eve. The boy who brings him down before he makes it to the local church wins a highly coveted ticket out of town and, as most believe, liberation from the stultifying ennui of small-town life that has crushed all ambition and dreams out of the adults. Pete McCormick is among the most determined boys on the hunt, but this evening he will learn horrifying truths about his town's tradition and the terrible price he must pay for his manhood. Partridge has always had a knack for sifting deeper significance from period pop culture, but here he brilliantly distills a convincing male identity myth from teen rebel drive-in flicks, garish comic book horrors, hard-boiled crime pulps and other bits of lowbrow Americana. Whether read as potent dark fantasy or a modern coming-of-age parable, this is contemporary American writing at its finest."—Publishers Weekly (starred review)

dalnewt
0 Kudos

I'm about to order the third Instrumentalities of the Night series,

Surrender to the Will of the Night (Instrumentalities of the Night Series #3), Vol. 3. Presumably the price will go up on its Nov 23 release date, so I'm ordering it now. Note, I'm late to this gritty and extremely realistic fantasy series which follows the experiences of about three key figures, the most important of which is a soldier who goes by the name of Piper Hecht. His past is complex and he was sent to the Brothen Empire (ruled by a pope like figure) as a spy. I'm currently finishing up the second book,

Lord of the Silent Kingdom (Instrumentalities of the Night Series #2). It is an excellent read with major story arc developments (concerning the war/refugee torn world as well as the encroaching ice and onslaught of supernatural creatures into settled lands). Further, a major revelation about Piper's mage-sired family history occurs. Note, the narrative is complex but flows extremely well with numerous down-to-earth characters and excellent dialogue.     

dalnewt
0 Kudos

I'm considering  

The Bone Palace, scheduled for release Nov 30. Here's the publisher's synopsis and PW review:

From the Publisher

Death is no stranger in the city of Erisín-- but some deaths attract more attention than others.

When a prostitute dies carrying a royal signet, Isyllt Iskaldur, necromancer and agent of the Crown, is called to investigate. Her search leads to desecrated tombs below the palace, and the lightless vaults of the vampiric vrykoloi deep beneath the city. But worse things than vampires are plotting in Erisín...

As a sorcerous plague sweeps the city and demons stalk the streets, Isyllt must decide who she's prepared to betray, before the city built on bones falls into blood and fire.

Publishers Weekly

In a spectacular freestanding sequel to 2009's The Drowning City, Downum jumps a few years forward to find forensic necromancer Isyllt Iskaldur investigating the death of Forsythia, a young prostitute with stolen royal jewelry sewn into her clothes, in the haunted city of Erisin. As Isyllt follows the trail of death and theft to the sewers and their vampiric inhabitants, Savedra Severos, the crown prince's beautiful transgender mistress, struggles to defeat assassins and unravel plots involving her own uncle and a demonic sorceress mysteriously allied with Isyllt's mentor and former lover, the spymaster Kiril. Finely drawn characters love and betray with enthralling passion and pain, and the taverns and gardens of plague-ridden Erisin and the titular ruined palace at its center make a dark and richly detailed background for this complex and bloody tale of sorcery, madness, and intrigue. (Dec.)

Bradinator1

Heya Dal, Glen Cook is one of my favorites!! I have this on hold w/ the local library and can't wait for it to show up...I'm #1 on the list and waiting very impatiently. His best known "Black Company" series is somewhat like the Instrumentalities series, so if you like this series you like those as well.  

And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
dalnewt
0 Kudos

My copy of Surrender to the Will of the Night (Instrumentalities of the Night Series #3), Vol. 3 arrived in my home state today, so I'll have it in my hands soon, maybe by tomorrow. Maybe I'll eventually read Cook's Black Company series. Does it have sci-fi or supernatural/mystical elements? 

Bradinator1

Dal, Black Company is a fantasy series and certainly has more supernatural/mystical elements in it. The wizards are super bad and it has very good characters. one of my all time favorite villians in it..The Limper. My copies of the books are nearly falling apart they've been read so many times. They are out in complilation type books now. I think the original total of books was 6 or 7. Very much the same genre as Instrumentalities. His Dread Empire series is also excellent and along the same lines. He is not formulaic at all. These series all differ from one another and don't have "repeating" type characters like you see with some authors.