Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

OCTOBER FEATURE #2: The Living Dead edited by J.J. Adams

As a reviewer for Publishers Weekly, I know how rare it is for a book to receive a Starred Review. Just the fact that The Living Dead was honored with a Star in last week’s PW speaks volumes (the review is below). Simply put, for fans of “zombie fiction,” this anthology is priceless. Thirty-four stories from some of the biggest names in SF, fantasy and horror: Dan Simmons, George R.R. Martin, Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, Harlan Ellison and Robert Silverberg, Laurell K. Hamilton, and Clive Barker, just to name a few.

Which stories were your favorites? And why? Any surprise selections, and by that I mean stories that you thought shouldn’t have been included? Do you agree this PW’s assessment that this is a “superb” collection?
Paul

The Living Dead John Joseph Adams. Night Shade (www.nightshadebooks.com), $15.95 paper (350p) ISBN 978-1-59780-143-0

Recently prolific anthologist Adams (Seeds of Change) delivers a superb reprint anthology that runs the gamut of zombie stories. There's plenty of gore, highlighted by Stephen King's “Home Delivery” and David Schow's classic “Blossom.” Less traditional but equally satisfying are Lisa Morton's “Sparks Fly Upward,” which analyzes abortion politics in a zombified world, and Douglas Winter's literary pastiche “Less than Zombie.” Also outstanding, Kelly Link's “Some Zombie Contingency Plans” and Hannah Wolf Bowen's “Everything Is Better with Zombies” take similar themes in wildly different directions. Neil Gaiman's impeccably crafted “Bitter Grounds” offers a change of pace with traditional Caribbean zombies. The sole original contribution, John Langan's “How the Day Runs Down,” is a darkly amusing twist on Thornton Wilder's Our Town. There's some great storytelling for zombie fans as well as newcomers. (Nov.)

Paul

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Living-Dead/George-R-R-Martin/e/9781597801430/?itm=1

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: OCTOBER FEATURE #2: The Living Dead edited by J.J. Adams

Paul,

I have read the first couple of stories and they were very good and you could tell the difference in writing style and tone of the stories.  It may take me all month to get through all of them because I'm reading the other books for the club.  But I will read more.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Toni:

I think that's one of the reasons I love this anthology – it's huge. I just read a "Best Of" anthology with less than a dozen stories – needless to say, I was less than satisfied. This collection has almost 40 stories, and from what I've read, they're all potential standouts.

Paul

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 09-30-2008 10:38 PM
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Paul,

Your right they all seem like strong writers and it seems like a good blend from the lighter side to the darker side.  I'm looking forward to reading more of the storiesl

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

By now I have read most of the stories in this anthology and I enjoyed some more than others and my favorite's have been The Year's Class Picture by Dan Simmons, Dead Like Me by Adam Troy-Castro, Zora and The Zombie by Andy Duncan.  I guess the reason they were my favorites was because they were a little more on the lighter side and I had read other works by Dan and Adam though Andy was a new author for me and I will be looking for more of his works.

Is anyone else reading this book or am I going to be the only one.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:

By now I have read most of the stories in this anthology and I enjoyed some more than others and my favorite's have been The Year's Class Picture by Dan Simmons, Dead Like Me by Adam Troy-Castro, Zora and The Zombie by Andy Duncan. I guess the reason they were my favorites was because they were a little more on the lighter side and I had read other works by Dan and Adam though Andy was a new author for me and I will be looking for more of his works.

Toni

Not me. I couldn't warm up to this month's SF/Fantasy selections. Maybe next month.

But I am reading Dan Simmons' Hyperion (which I WILL have to follow immediately with The Fall of Hyperion!). Now that is a book I could talk about but I doubt if I could find at least half dozen others for a viable discussion. I like his writing style and story-telling slant very much. Do you have any recommendations of other books by him?

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I have just read his Hyperion series.  I know that he writes some Horror and Mysteries but I have not read any of those except the short story in this months selection.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:

By now I have read most of the stories in this anthology and I enjoyed some more than others and my favorite's have been The Year's Class Picture by Dan Simmons, Dead Like Me by Adam Troy-Castro, Zora and The Zombie by Andy Duncan.  I guess the reason they were my favorites was because they were a little more on the lighter side and I had read other works by Dan and Adam though Andy was a new author for me and I will be looking for more of his works.

Toni

Toni:

I'm kind of surprised that more people haven't posted about this anthology – more than 800 have viewed the thread but not many have actually commented. It's a pretty "meaty" anthology so it may be that people are still reading it. I actually just finished myself. 

I read quite a few SF/fantasy anthologies – as I'm sure many of you do too –  and generally there's a few exceptional stories, maybe one or two bad ones but most are good. It's exceedingly rare to find an anthology where there are no weak links – and where any of the selections could be someone's "stand-out" stories. This is the case with The Living Dead – all 34 stories were excellent. It really is a "definitive" collection of zombie fiction.

I've read some of these stories before so reading this was even more enjoyable for me because re-reading a story a decade or so after you first read it was kind of like bumping into an old – albeit undead – friend. My favorites were Stephen King's "Home Delivery," about alien invaders reanimating the dead, "Meathouse Man" by GRRM, Clive Barker's "Sex, Death and Starshine" and  Hannah Wolf Bowen's "Everything Is Better with Zombies," which took a unique and decidedly whimsical  look at zombies.

I realize zombie fiction may be an acquired taste (God, I have a great sense of humor, don't I?) and may not appeal to some SF/fantasy readers but the bottom line is that this collection is one of the highest quality compilations to come out in a while and I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who enjoys their fantasy a little onthe dark side. Nuff said.

Paul 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Nelsmom wrote:

By now I have read most of the stories in this anthology and I enjoyed some more than others and my favorite's have been The Year's Class Picture by Dan Simmons, Dead Like Me by Adam Troy-Castro, Zora and The Zombie by Andy Duncan. I guess the reason they were my favorites was because they were a little more on the lighter side and I had read other works by Dan and Adam though Andy was a new author for me and I will be looking for more of his works.

Toni

Toni:

I'm kind of surprised that more people haven't posted about this anthology – more than 800 have viewed the thread but not many have actually commented. It's a pretty "meaty" anthology so it may be that people are still reading it. I actually just finished myself.

<snip>

Paul

I'm kind of surprised by the number of views considering that until recently there were only 3 posts -- what were all those people looking at! This is a short story anthology. People should realize that they can comment on any individual story. They don't have to read the whole book! In fact they may already have some. Check your anthologies. Here is the TOC for The Living Dead:

This Years Class Picture -- Dan Simmons
Some Zombie Contigency Plans -- Kelly Link
Death and Sufferage -- Dale Bailey
Ghost Dance -- Sherman Alexie
Blossom -- David J Schow
The Third Dead Body -- Nina Kiriki Hoffman
The Dead -- Michael Swanwick
The Dead Kid -- Darrell Schweitzer
Malthusians Zombie -- Jeffrey Ford
Beautiful Stuff -- Susan Palwick
Sex, Death and Starshine -- Clive Barker
Stockholm Syndrome -- David Tallerman
Bobby Conroy Comes Back from the Dead -- Joe Hill
Those Who Seek Forgiveness -- Laurell K Hamilton
In Beauty, Like the Night -- Norman Partridge
Prarie -- Brian Evenson
Everything is Better with Zombies -- Hannah Wolf Bowers
Home Delivery -- Stephen King
Less Than Zombie -- Douglas E Winter
Sparks Fly Upward -- Lisa Morton
Meathouse Man -- George R R Martin
Deadman's Road -- Joe R Lansdale
The Skull-Faced Boy -- David Barr Kirtley
The Age of Sorrow -- Nancy Kilpatrick
Bitter Grounds -- Neil Gaiman
She's Taking her T[..]s to the Grave -- Catherine Check
Dead Like Me -- Adam-Troy Castro
Zora and the Zombie -- Andy Duncan
Calcutta, Lord of Nerves -- Poppy Z Brite
Followed -- Will McIntosh
The Song the Zombie Sang -- Harlan Ellison and Robert Silverberg
Passion Play -- Nancy Holder
Almost the Last Story by Almost the Last Man -- Scott Edelman
How the Day Runs Down -- John Langan

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

This Years Class Picture -- Dan Simmons
Some Zombie Contigency Plans -- Kelly Link
Death and Sufferage -- Dale Bailey
Ghost Dance -- Sherman Alexie
Blossom -- David J Schow
The Third Dead Body -- Nina Kiriki Hoffman
The Dead -- Michael Swanwick
The Dead Kid -- Darrell Schweitzer
Malthusians Zombie -- Jeffrey Ford
Beautiful Stuff -- Susan Palwick
Sex, Death and Starshine -- Clive Barker
Stockholm Syndrome -- David Tallerman
Bobby Conroy Comes Back from the Dead -- Joe Hill
Those Who Seek Forgiveness -- Laurell K Hamilton
In Beauty, Like the Night -- Norman Partridge
Prarie -- Brian Evenson
Everything is Better with Zombies -- Hannah Wolf Bowers
Home Delivery -- Stephen King
Less Than Zombie -- Douglas E Winter
Sparks Fly Upward -- Lisa Morton
Meathouse Man -- George R R Martin
Deadman's Road -- Joe R Lansdale
The Skull-Faced Boy -- David Barr Kirtley
The Age of Sorrow -- Nancy Kilpatrick
Bitter Grounds -- Neil Gaiman
She's Taking her T[..]s to the Grave -- Catherine Check
Dead Like Me -- Adam-Troy Castro
Zora and the Zombie -- Andy Duncan
Calcutta, Lord of Nerves -- Poppy Z Brite
Followed -- Will McIntosh
The Song the Zombie Sang -- Harlan Ellison and Robert Silverberg
Passion Play -- Nancy Holder
Almost the Last Story by Almost the Last Man -- Scott Edelman
How the Day Runs Down -- John Langan

Yeah, check out that line-up. Impressive, to say the least.

New User
davidbarrkirtley
0 Kudos

Hey everyone. My story "The Skull-Faced Boy" appears in this anthology. It was a real thrill for me to appear alongside authors such as Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, and George R. R. Martin, and it's been exciting to see how well the book is being received. I just want to point out that there's an extensive website dedicated to this book, so check that out for free stories, author interviews, and zombie news:

http://www.johnjosephadams.com/the-living-dead/

And for more about my story "The Skull-Faced Boy," including concept art, an audio podcast version of the story, and to listen to a radio appearance I did alongside the book's editor John Joseph Adams, visit my website here:

http://www.davidbarrkirtley.com/skull.html

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

davidbarrkirtley wrote:

Hey everyone. My story "The Skull-Faced Boy" appears in this anthology. It was a real thrill for me to appear alongside authors such as Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, and George R. R. Martin, and it's been exciting to see how well the book is being received. I just want to point out that there's an extensive website dedicated to this book, so check that out for free stories, author interviews, and zombie news:

http://www.johnjosephadams.com/the-living-dead/

And for more about my story "The Skull-Faced Boy," including concept art, an audio podcast version of the story, and to listen to a radio appearance I did alongside the book's editor John Joseph Adams, visit my website here:

http://www.davidbarrkirtley.com/skull.html

David:

I really enjoyed your story. I wish you had stopped by when this anthology was a featured title! Oh well, better late than never! We didn't get the turnout for this book as I had hoped but, regardless,  The Living Dead is an exceptional collection and one that I will always cherish. It must've been such a rush to have a story in it!

Paul 

New User
davidbarrkirtley
0 Kudos

David:

I really enjoyed your story. I wish you had stopped by when this anthology was a featured title! Oh well, better late than never! We didn't get the turnout for this book as I had hoped but, regardless,  The Living Dead is an exceptional collection and one that I will always cherish. It must've been such a rush to have a story in it!

Paul 

Thanks, Paul! I'm glad you enjoyed my story. Yeah, I wish I had stopped by earlier too, but I only recently stumbled across this thread. From now on I'll try to keep an eye on the board, so that next time I appear in a featured title (er, *fingers crossed*) I'll be prepared. And if that does ever happen, anyone reading this should feel free to drop me a line and give me a heads-up

Speaking of The Living Dead, there's now a trailer for it on YouTube. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raNWFhPxi5Q
Frequent Contributor
lilithesquee
0 Kudos

Well, after ordering this book from the library months ago, I finally got my hands on it.  More later. 
Dude, Where's My Book!
Frequent Contributor
lilithesquee
0 Kudos

I only got to read a couple stories before I had to return this book to the library.  So many books, holidays and a new grandchild got in the way.  I have this book back on re-reserve because it was great.  That first story (Class picture) was just creepy and original and sticky.  I mean I thought about it through the day.  It stuck.  What a teacher huh! 

The second story was totally different and said a lot more about what monstruous and wierd is (a zombie ecscape plan). 

I don't consider myself a "zombie genre" fan and  am not to fond of the zombie movies referred to in the introduction.  Reading this gives the zombie idea so much more flavor and texture.  I like zombies in my imagination better then on the screen appearently. 

Lily

Dude, Where's My Book!