Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21

Re: OCTOBER FEATURE #3: The Hunger Games and Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Yes I am wondering how big a network the rebellion has. Catching Fire has given us some hints for who is involved. But to me the book gave the impression that to start that it was individual districts, maybe not so organized. But then towards the end of the book that this could be a well organized and planned rebellion (based on who some of the people are).  So I am hanging waiting to read the next one, to get my questions answered.

Melhay wrote:

pen21 wrote:

***SPOILERS - about Catching Fire***

I finished Catching Fire. Definitely a great middle book to a series. It kept me moving through the whole book. Just when I thought there would be a lull after the Victory Tour, the choices for Quarter Quell got the book flying. I am ready for the third book. I have been recommending the books, even to those who don't usually read scifi. They are surprised when I tell them to look in the teen section.

The Games built on human competition to the death are brutal. But there is a balance with the hope of Katniss and Peeta to survive and return to their families. Their families and friends are vital to the characters in the books. What would each of us do if our families were threatened? The Capitol's threat to torture and kill family members drives them to do things they do not agree with. The rebellion in this book brought more momentum to the unrest. I am wondering how the third book will handle how separated the districts are, especially communication between the districts.

Definitely a good book for a wide range of ages.

pen21

Pen, I agree with you.  I am wondering how these districts have worked together or will work together.  I think after they get past their differences that these differences are what will make them survive and win against the Capitol.  Each district has its own specialty to say, and this could be what makes them survive.  I am curious to see how this all works out in the end.  I know they have to be working together in some way to know that they were revolting at the same time.  But how? Who?  I really can't wait to see the "behind the scenes" of the conspiracy. 

I am curious as to the people who live in the Capitol as well.  There are some against the Capitol or so it seems and there are others that seem to be just oblivious to the way the rest of the world lives.  I am curious to see how they are affected and who helps or who doesn't.  We already have an idea of a few who are helping but are they enough?

I am excited for the next book and as well I have been suggesting these books.

Bibliophile
Melhay

Yeah Pen,

I was surprised at the end to see that there may be more organization to the whole thing that originaly thought.  I was bummed to be left like that with about a year to wait for the next book. (or so I think with the way Hunger Games and Catching Fire came out.)  This is when I like to wait for the whole series to be out so I can just go straight through them and not forget what I read before the next happenings.

So, I am right there with you on the cliff waiting to see where we go from here and what happens.  Lots of questions to get answers to.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
B&N Bookseller
melissas

Those are good questions about the rebellion...how? who? I am also wondering: when? Have the districts been working on this for years? Or did the Katniss-Peeta ending to the 74th Hunger Games inspire the whole thing? I honestly have no idea how long this has been in the works, but quite frankly, with the right people behind it, a lot could have happened in just one year.

Any thoughts?

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Geez. I am STILL waiting for these books! I AM going to read this series and I will be posting my comments so if you're interested, check back in a few!

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Bibliophile
Melhay

melissas wrote:

Those are good questions about the rebellion...how? who? I am also wondering: when? Have the districts been working on this for years? Or did the Katniss-Peeta ending to the 74th Hunger Games inspire the whole thing? I honestly have no idea how long this has been in the works, but quite frankly, with the right people behind it, a lot could have happened in just one year.

Any thoughts?

I have to agree with you on how long this has been in the works.  Part of me thinks there has been a slow process of working on figuring out how to revolt and when.  Part of me thinks that "they" (because of the conversation at the end with Heavensbee and Haymitch.  I think there was some convincing and work to be done to prepare the districts for the revolution.  There is a lot that could happen in a year but I think the Katniss-Peeta this was just a wonderful opening they had to take advantage of to initiate what everyone wanted to do.  There seems to have to be a lot of preparing of supplies and maybe even district 13 along with people doing traveling and talking, which everything seems to be restricted very well.

I don't know... One year could be enough to pull it all off, but I think there was a group in tact already waiting for the opportunity.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Geez. I am STILL waiting for these books! I AM going to read this series and I will be posting my comments so if you're interested, check back in a few!

Paul

Geee Paul, I thought you had these already and breezed through them quickly.  I didn't realize you where still waiting on these.  I can't wait to see what you have to say.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22

[ Edited ]

Hey! It's late here but while I was on I wanted to post a little bit of my feelings for this trilogy :smileyhappy:

The reason I most enjoyed these books, so far, is because of the characters...

Katniss has got to be one of my all time favorite characters! I don't really understand how Collins did it, but when I was reading The Hunger Games for the first time I was so immersed in the character of Katniss. Collins writing is so easy and flows so nicely that you feel as though you are right there AS Katniss fighting for your life. There wasn't a middle for me in these books-- I was Katniss! I was trying my best and fighting my hardest to get out of my problems, and I even fell for the boy Peeta who wanted to keep me alive.

Then there was Collins world-- a world that might not be too far off from our own and there was no mistaking that this world could become our future.

Then Collins takes us on a roller coaster of twists and turns that you couldn't have seen coming. When I was reading these books there was no outside world for me.

I fell for all the characters though, even the ones with the smallest of parts to play.

Cato the hard core and die hard fan of The Hunger Games only wanting to make it to the victory table and never letting anyone get in his way and if you did it was over for you.

Rue, the girl you couldn't help but love and root for. 

Every character had there part to play and there didn't seem to be any character that wasn't well rounded. But the thing is, there wasn't much background story or even many parts for all the side characters, but in the end, you still came away with their personalities and felt something towards each one.... It was amazing!  

Krista

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
B&N Bookseller
melissas
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul

I was wondering why we hadn't heard from you! I was kind of worried that you absolutely hated the books and had deemed them unworthy of discussion. :smileyvery-happy: