Frequent Contributor
lady_hockey
0 Kudos

Oh my goodness, I just hated this book!

What book have you read and then wished you could have the time you spent on it back?

And most importantly: WHY?

[No flaming, no name calling. We all have different tastes. Most important thing is to back up your opinions.]
~*~Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.~*~
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: Oh my goodness, I just hated this book!

lady_hockey wrote:
What book have you read and then wished you could have the time you spent on it back?

[No flaming, no name calling. We all have different tastes. Most important thing is to back up your opinions.]

Lily,

Most of the time when I am reading a book and am really hating it I just quit reading it. I won't name any books by title or author but the ones that I really hate are the ones that have graphic violence, language. and sometimes sex if it is not serving as a small part of the story. I guess I'[m kind of old fashion that way. I like a good story and don't need all of that in it.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
New User
Durandal
0 Kudos

I've tried to be really good about finishing books. I'll plow through something I'm not really enjoying simply because I feel obligated to finish what I've started.

However, in the past few months I've broken that rule a couple of times. First, I tried to get through the Illuminatus trilogy. I was well aware that it was a sex-and-drug-addled, postmodern, stream-of-consciousness heap of craziness, and I was OK with that. But once I got about 500 pages into the 800-page tome, I just couldn't take it anymore. I'm willing to do some work with my reading -- I'll puzzle through difficult passages, keep track of a plot that jumps back and forth in time, etc. But there needs to be a reward there. With Illuminatus, there wasn't. Lots of internal contradictions -- you'd learn something and then a few chapters later you'd learn something that made the first thing you learned impossible. No likable characters, silliness and weirdness for their own sake, plus the whole thing seemed to be largely plot-free. I'm not sure why it's considered a "counterculture sci-fi classic."

Also, and sort of at the opposite end of the spectrum, I was reading The Queen of the Demonweb Pits by Paul Kidd. Now, this is a novel adaptation of an old Dungeons and Dragons adventure, so I wasn't expecting great quality. But within the first 30 pages I had encountered terrible grammar, inconsistent facts and a character who talked like Foghorn Leghorn, believe it or not. No thanks.
Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss
0 Kudos

I try to finish books, but if I find that I have to keep going back to reread paragraphs I may give up. The last time this happened was with a history-based book; the Greenlanders, by Jane Smiley. In college I was a student tutor in English for a junior college. Student are taught in the very beginning what a run-on sentence is and how to avoid the creating them. If an author has a PhD, I don't think it was too much to ask for a little structure. Thirty pages into the book, a man that was being set up as a main character had an accident and died in one paragraph! He was buried in the next paragraph and the story went on. There was no excitement in this story of ancient Greenland...I was so disappointed.
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

Micheal Chriton's The Lost World. Is was flat and unimaginative, and honestly felt like a rushed effort from a really good author to cash in on the hit Jurrasic Park movie. The book was so bad I forgot I read it, picked it up two years later and was half way through before I relized I had read it already.. and still hated it.

lady_hockey wrote:

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

I think that the book which you are describing would be "A Series of Unfortunate Events: The End" for me. So many of my questions went unanswered! What happened to that secret society? Were the Baudelaires' parents really murdered by Cout Olaf? Most of all, what happened to the Baudelaires' friends, the twins (oops -- triplets.)???
Someone, please agree with me!!!
"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -- Amelia Earhart
May the Force of Fashion Sense be With You!! :smileyvery-happy:
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

I tend to forget bad things so i can't think of a really bad book. I pretty much stick to established authors or ones that have a series going.

I am having trouble getting into Stephen king's "Lisey's Story". It's not a bad book from what I have read and heard about it, I've just not been in the proper mood for it.
V^^^^V
http://vickipettersson.proboards51.com/index.cgi
http://primatechpaper.yuku.com/
Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss
0 Kudos

I have a new book I couldn't finish...sigh. I didn't hate it, but I could not force myself to finish "Dark Side of the Moon" by Sherrilyn Kenyon. It seemed like there were scenes from 3 different books that got thrown together by accident. Perhaps I just don't get it cause I started so far from the beginning of the series. Anyone else read this one?
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

dianaprince wrote:
I think that the book which you are describing would be "A Series of Unfortunate Events: The End" for me. So many of my questions went unanswered! What happened to that secret society? Were the Baudelaires' parents really murdered by Cout Olaf? Most of all, what happened to the Baudelaires' friends, the twins (oops -- triplets.)???
Someone, please agree with me!!!

I'll agree with you on that one. I don't mind leaving some things to the imagination but that one left way too many, especially for a long series. Some of the most important mysteries were never solved. It didn't feel like the end of the story.
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

Yes!!! Those mysteries WERE left to the imagination!!! Additionally, what about "The Beatrice Letters"??? That had absolutely no clues in it! Personally, my belief is that the entire series was simply a marketing device.
"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -- Amelia Earhart
May the Force of Fashion Sense be With You!! :smileyvery-happy:
Contributor
soulpromise
0 Kudos

There's a few I think somewhat fall into this category. The first that comes to mind was a book my bf got me for my b-day, "Industrial Magic." I was very glad I had not bought it. It wasn't poorly written, which would have made me just stop reading, but I just didn't like the main character. I should not have to figure something out before the person in the book. I don't find myself to be extremely insightful, but if I connect the dots before the people in the story, well, how can you look up to them? Especially if one of the characters is supposed to have been bred to be brilliant, conniving, and a step ahead of others. And this was something that I spent almost the entire book waiting for the characters to catch onto! What kept me reading was the plot itself was exciting, and I just wanted to know what happened. I read the next book that comes after that one, a library book, and it was about the same experience. I find the characters to be unlikeable and foolish. I haven't picked up anymore.

The first book (outside of schoolbooks) I've ever just put down and never picked back up was the "Indwelling," I think(it was pretty well into the series). I started reading the Left Behind series, and I was hooked - at first. As I kept going, the writing started getting worse and worse, the characters more and more the same. One of my biggest pet peeves in reading fiction is when the characters are not distinct. A good writer should not have to tell you who is speaking for you to know who is speaking. It started to feel like that scene in the movie "Being John Malkovich" when Malkovich goes into his own head and sees all those people as himself dressed in different ways. The characters, male and female, in these books just seemed like the author was writing himself as these people in these situations. And when it got to the African-American characters in the story, it was just insulting. I couldn't go on, and I so had hope for it!

Another book, that was like the first I mentioned, was another one I got for my birthday, called "Darkfever." The story was pretty good, but the main character was prejudiced, pink loving, and shallow. I guess nothing's wrong with liking pink, but just the way the character went on and on about her nail polish and makeup, was a bit over the top. I know it can be about creating a different kind of character (they all can't be tough, hot, and non-fashion conscious), but the prejudice part almost made me stop reading. I was hoping there was a point to it. Maybe in the next book...maybe.
Frequent Contributor
LeisureSuitLarry
0 Kudos

There was a time when I would fight through something that I hated just because I didn't like leaving a book unfinished. Or maybe it was misplaced optimism that it would get better. Now, if it's not doing it for me I just put it down and move on to something else.

The last book that I put down was Ghost by John Ringo. I normally like John's work. I've enjoyed every book in the Alldenata series (starting with A Hymn Before Battle) and the Council Wars series (starting with There Will Be Dragons), but this one just did not work for me. First of all, there's no sci-fi or fantasy in it whatsoever, even though it's sold in the sci-fi/fantasy section. Second, John is a hard-core conservative and it really comes through in the writing of this one. I don't normally care because the stories are usually pretty good, but I can only handle so many pages of listening to someone lust over George Bush (in the form of President Cliff, but the parallel is obvious) before getting tired of it. I hope I'd feel the same way if he was going off on another politician, but he didn't so we'll never know. Third, how can you like, respect, or identify with a lead character who describes himself as "a rapist at heart" within the first 10 pages. It just doesn't bring the love, if you know what I mean.
Frequent Contributor
yellowbird2525
0 Kudos

The only book I have ever read all the way thru & simply kept saying it has to get better was Praying for Sleep by Jeffrey Deaver. I loved his Lincoln Rhyme series & so read his other books; they were not worth spending the time reading (under name of Wm Jeffries), in my opinion. But this book was the absolute worst book I have ever encountered in my long life of reading. It was simply a bunch of words without any plot to speak of that made no sense of anything at all. I normally always pass books on but this book was so incredibly bad & i was so upset with myself for keeping on reading it thinking it would get better than i tossed it in the garbage refusing to inflict the pain of it on anyone else. Since then, my attitude towards books has changed drastically. If I start reading the book, and it doesn't hold my interest, i put it aside & pick it up again later. If i am still unable to get into it, I may try again later; then I simply trade it for something else. I do not waste my life reading books that are mediocre or worse. I love to read great books, and so am always looking for new authors or suggestions. I have found that I really enjoy a lot of fantasy books & other books outside of my "usual" choices.
yellowbird2525
Inspired Wordsmith
lilithesque
0 Kudos

LeisureSuitLarry wrote:
The last book that I put down was Ghost by John Ringo. John is a hard-core conservative and it really comes through in the writing of this one. I don't normally care because the stories are usually pretty good, but I can only handle so many pages of listening to someone lust over George Bush (in the form of President Cliff, but the parallel is obvious) before getting tired of it. I hope I'd feel the same way if he was going off on another politician, but he didn't so we'll never know. Third, how can you like, respect, or identify with a lead character who describes himself as "a rapist at heart" within the first 10 pages. It just doesn't bring the love, if you know what I mean.

Funny you should mention John Ringo and his conservative bent. I have only read one book by him, Princess of Swords I think it was called. I picked it because I read tarot and the title caught me. Once I started reading and realized there was a real different tilt to his fantasy--I was both drawn to his conservative attempts to write fantasy from a bible thumping conservative view point, and repulsed by the kind of arrogant whinny way it manifested (in my opinion).

I agree his writing was good, and he had the ability to bring the folks to life on the page. So I did read the whole thing and don't regret it. The premise that the kung fu fighting, suburban driving, bible thumping, subservient to her husband as the bible says, gun and sword wielding, soccer mom, who is the protagonist, would be the most powerful magic wielder among the worlds champions, because the power of belief in Jesus through out the world is behind her was different and I kind of enjoyed watching him try to make the case. How ever it did get tedious. He spent so much time showing the reader how supermom was a long suffering, righteous Christian who stayed true in spite of everyone's scorn and distrust it started to feel like a lecture. The bit about her teaching the lost, misguided weak pagans how to really wield a gun and defend themselves was over the top. He also spent a lot of time talking about the sci fi fantasy convention scene and how the hard core military fiction and hardcore sci fi folks, stuck together in a little enclave and were also mis understood and it was so hard to sell the good books. I just thought "whinny" at that point.

What all this flipping the fantasy premise did for me was make me think it must be tough to be an evangelical right wing conservative Christian who likes and writes sci-fi and fantasy. I enjoyed the way the book was sand paper on my own world view, but the novel-ness wouldn't last another trip to his world. It wasn't that good of writing.

Well after reading my post over, I am suprised how whiny I sound! But after I spent all this time writing this I'll just go ahead and post it.
Dude, Where's my book!
Frequent Contributor
LeisureSuitLarry
0 Kudos

lilithesque,

I read Princess of Wands when it came out. I thought it was an interesting premise as well, but like you I did get tired of the bible-thumping. However, it never bothered me so much that I felt like putting it down. Really, I'm pretty sure that if the hero in Ghost had shot a couple of aliens or something I'd have stuck with it. Princess of Wands wasn't his best stuff. I understand he's planning on doing more in the series. He actually got quite annoyed when I mentioned all of the bible thumping in his conference on baen.com's bar.

An interesting thing about that convention in the book. If you pay attention to the barflies at baen.com, it appears that the people at the convention, if not the situation, are based on real people.

If you feel like you might like his writing style, but you don't want to experience the preaching part, try A Hymn Before Battle or There Will Be Dragons. Both are the beginnings of excellent series.
Inspired Wordsmith
lilithesque
0 Kudos

LeisureSuitLarry wrote:
lilithesque,

I read Princess of Wands when it came out. I thought it was an interesting premise as well, but like you I did get tired of the bible-thumping. However, it never bothered me so much that I felt like putting it down. Really, I'm pretty sure that if the hero in Ghost had shot a couple of aliens or something I'd have stuck with it. Princess of Wands wasn't his best stuff. I understand he's planning on doing more in the series. He actually got quite annoyed when I mentioned all of the bible thumping in his conference on baen.com's bar.

An interesting thing about that convention in the book. If you pay attention to the barflies at baen.com, it appears that the people at the convention, if not the situation, are based on real people.

If you feel like you might like his writing style, but you don't want to experience the preaching part, try A Hymn Before Battle or There Will Be Dragons. Both are the beginnings of excellent series.

Thanks. I will add them to my to read list. I also think I'll go to Baen.com too. That sounds fun.

Lilithesque
(Lily)
Dude, Where's my book!
Frequent Contributor
LeisureSuitLarry
0 Kudos

Three words: BAEN FREE LIBRARY

Before you run out and buy a Baen author, make sure you see if they've got anything in the free library. They are 100% free, DRM free e-books in multiple formats. The theory is that you'll like what you read so much you'll run out and buy the dead-tree version. I found Baen four years ago and I still find new authors to read.
Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss
0 Kudos

Re: Oh my goodness, free books online?

ooohhhh this is exciting news! There is much that I like published by Baen and I do have a small library in my apartment. :smileyhappy: Thanks for those three words!
Contributor
Papazak
0 Kudos

Anne Rice's : Violin.

Now that I am typing this I realize that it was probably doomed from the start :smileyhappy:.  

I read her vampire series and was fasinated by her writing style and her spin on how the "vampire virus" if you will, was let loose on earth! I was foolish enough to believe that I would like her other types of books. But I prefer fun, fantasy like Piers Anthony's books. If any of you have read Violin you know that it has the exact opposite effect on your senses. I only read about a 1/4 of the book, and have tried my best to forget it.  

dhaupt
0 Kudos

I tend to quit reading the book if I'm not enjoying, after all there are so many good books out there that I try not to waste my time on ones I don't like. The books I have finished that I didn't like I read for my in person book clubs and for B&N First Look, for a few publishers that I review for and once or twice if a friend recommended it to me. It's not that I think these books are poorly written I just didn't like them and most of them don't fit into this genre so I won't mention the names.