Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Patrick Rothfuss The Name of the Wind

Every high fantasy lover, do yourself a favor. READ THIS BOOK!
It is easily the best fantasy book I've read this decade.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: Patrick Rothfuss The Name of the Wind

TiggerBear,

I have got the book but it keeps getting push down my TBR pile but hopefully I will get to it pretty soon.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
80l
Contributor
80l
0 Kudos

That book looks weird, but then again i'm not really into magic and wizard stuff.

Frequent Contributor
LeisureSuitLarry
0 Kudos

I'll second TiggerBear. This was easily one of the best books I've read this year. I actually got it for free, and I liked it so much I bought a paperback copy so that the author got credit for a sale.
Frequent Contributor
Regric
0 Kudos

Yippee!! It's on my "need to buy" list!! I read the first 20 pages standing in the stacks!
Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss
0 Kudos

This was one of my top ten favorite books of 2007! Patrick Rothfuss is an English teacher that is a gamer and writes a really good blog. I have been following this blog since I found the book at the library last year. It is his first book and he is really blown away by the response to it. Here is the link: /www.patrickrothfuss.com/blog/blog.html Never tried to put a link in a message here so I hope it works! :smileytongue: Kristine
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Since it popping up more often in conversation.

(cough) *BUMP*

Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic
0 Kudos

All I can say about Patrick Rothfuss is: brilliant. Really brilliant. Sheer freakin' genius, as a matter of fact.
Frequent Contributor
lilithesquee
0 Kudos

Ah, nice timing. 

From hearing folks raving about this book I ordered it from the library and it is about two down on my to be read list.  It is sitting upstairs.  Maybe I will push it up in front of Mistborn.  

Lily 

Dude, Where's My Book!
Contributor
Leisure_Suit_Larry
0 Kudos

lilithesquee wrote:

Ah, nice timing. 

From hearing folks raving about this book I ordered it from the library and it is about two down on my to be read list.  It is sitting upstairs.  Maybe I will push it up in front of Mistborn.  

Lily 

You're in a total win-win situation. I'd go with Wind first the read all three Mistborns in succession. You've got some good reading ahead of you. Enjoy!
 LSL
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

lilithesquee wrote:

Ah, nice timing. 

Lily 

Oh yeah definately move it up.

Frequent Contributor
lilithesquee
0 Kudos

OK.  Sounds like a plan. 

I am almost done with Hunters Prayer, next up The Name of the Wind, then Mist born and sequels.  I hope I don't get any flour on the books while I'm cooking. :smileysurprised:

Lily

TiggerBear wrote:

lilithesquee wrote:

Ah, nice timing. 

Lily 

Oh yeah definitely move it up.

Dude, Where's My Book!
Distinguished Correspondent
Sandikal
0 Kudos

I'm not into typical fantasy myself, but I did like "The Name of the Wind".  I really liked how the magic was treated like science.  It wasn't one of those dungeons and dragons epic fantasies.  It was very well-done and very engaging.  There's a sequel coming out in 2009, but "The Name of the Wind" does hold its own without one.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Sandikal wrote: 
  There's a sequel coming out in 2009, but "The Name of the Wind" does hold its own without one.

?? Name of the Wind is only one-third of the story. How does it stand alone?

Message Edited by Raven_Lunatic on 11-27-2008 11:58 AM
Sandikal
0 Kudos

It works because the bulk of the story is Kovthe talking about his life.  It's one night of story telling and it ends at a logical point in Kovthe's story, even if it doesn't answer every question.  It leaves you wanting more, but there aren't any major cliff hangers.  There is the knowledge that something bigger is to come, but it's okay to wait for it. 
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

In other words; where you understand that it only part of a long story, you don't feel as if you're missing something.
Sandikal
0 Kudos

Exactly.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

*bump*
Frequent Contributor
lilithesquee
0 Kudos

Whoops, I posted my comment on this book under what are you reading.  I am going to repost it here.  Sorry if this is a double read for you. 

The Name of the Wind

I finished off this book last night and really enjoyed it.  I found it slow starting.  You could see the artistry of the story through literary elements such as the three silences.  Noting the writing style is a two edged sword to me.  First I appreciate it-- like a poem.  But it can distract my ADD brain.  I need to be pulled into the story or artistry isn't ’t enough for me.   But once this story got going the artistry blended into the story itself and I was so hooked.  I found this book to be lyrical-- sort of like De Lint, and exciting.   My greatest praise for a book is to say I saw the book unfold in my mind.  This book Unfolded.  Kvetch and Deena and Bast and all the characters breathed, and so did the magic. 

Wonderful. 

Now I am on to my hefty TBR pile.  Next up: Ghost Radio (Gout), Mistborn 1 (Sanderson), Every Last Drop (Huston),  and Shaman’s Crossing (Hobb). 

Lily   

Dude, Where's My Book!
Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

YEAH!

finally....

so is anyone else absolutely DYING to read the second book? This was the most surprising read I have experienced in a long time, and now I am completely hooked. Is there a specific date for the release yet?

"When camping in Canada, do not wear fruity chapstick... you might get mauled by grizzly bears."