Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic
0 Kudos

Re: Patrick Rothfuss The Name of the Wind

I centaintly am... but Rothfuss is choosing to release them a year apart, even though he has them all written. The heartless man.
Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

*mouth agape*

THAT EVIL MAN!!!!

.... it's a good selling ploy I guess... maybe.... I think... I don't know... I'm not a business person... 

"When camping in Canada, do not wear fruity chapstick... you might get mauled by grizzly bears."
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

(chuckle) Evil no, smart yes.

He's milking us at just the right amount. Complaints low, expectations high.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

Did you pay your stack fee?
There are more of us than you think.
Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

Seriously, who knows how many books the guy has in him? He's gotta eat, right?

I'm about halfway through Name of the Wind, and I do love this book. There has been little actual magic and wizardry thus far, but the story does not suffer for it. It's just great story-telling. Any fan of the fantasy genre will appreciate it, and who knows what is to come?

I think that only the most hard-core non-fiction reader (or romance fan, maybe) could fail to enjoy it.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

pagemaven wrote:

Seriously, who knows how many books the guy has in him? He's gotta eat, right?

I'm about halfway through Name of the Wind, and I do love this book. There has been little actual magic and wizardry thus far, but the story does not suffer for it. It's just great story-telling. Any fan of the fantasy genre will appreciate it, and who knows what is to come?

I think that only the most hard-core non-fiction reader (or romance fan, maybe) could fail to enjoy it.

It has a little romance.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

Well, as I said, I'm about half-way through, so I have not seen romance yet. The romance fans I have known like LOTS of romance. I did appreciate the relationship of Kvothe's parents, very romantic, but other than that a little flirtation here and there is about it. Which is fine with me. Romance is not my choice for reading. There are quite a lot of things I can enjoy vicariously, romance is not one of them.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

pagemaven wrote:
Well, as I said, I'm about half-way through, so I have not seen romance yet. The romance fans I have known like LOTS of romance. I did appreciate the relationship of Kvothe's parents, very romantic, but other than that a little flirtation here and there is about it. Which is fine with me. Romance is not my choice for reading. There are quite a lot of things I can enjoy vicariously, romance is not one of them.

oh by no means is it an actually romance book. But are there bits and pieces, yes. Kinda PG pre9pm TV than anything else. You know the sweet stuff.

Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

pagemaven wrote:
The romance in The Name of the Wind is tolerable... it isn't completely overwhelmingly unrealistic like some romance books. But at the same time, the romance is a very major part of the story, without taking over the entire plot line. It's a good kind of romance that makes the story just that much more enjoyable. Once you get to the romance part of the book, I think you'll enjoy it.

"When camping in Canada, do not wear fruity chapstick... you might get mauled by grizzly bears."
Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss
0 Kudos

I am so glad to see more buzz on this book! Iread it right after the library got it and was absolutely enthralled. I couldn't read anything else for days. His early blog was really interesting; he gave so many details about the process of having a first novel become successful. He posted pictures too; the different covers for the book in different countries. He even posted a map that he created for what he hoped would be a trilogy! This is a good reminder to check in for new book news. :smileyhappy:

Kristine
Nadine
0 Kudos

lilithesquee wrote:

Whoops, I posted my comment on this book under what are you reading.  I am going to repost it here.  Sorry if this is a double read for you. 

The Name of the Wind

I finished off this book last night and really enjoyed it.  I found it slow starting.  You could see the artistry of the story through literary elements such as the three silences.  Noting the writing style is a two edged sword to me.  First I appreciate it-- like a poem.  But it can distract my ADD brain.  I need to be pulled into the story or artistry isn't ’t enough for me.   But once this story got going the artistry blended into the story itself and I was so hooked.  I found this book to be lyrical-- sort of like De Lint, and exciting.   My greatest praise for a book is to say I saw the book unfold in my mind.  This book Unfolded.  Kvetch and Deena and Bast and all the characters breathed, and so did the magic. 

Wonderful. 

Now I am on to my hefty TBR pile.  Next up: Ghost Radio (Gout), Mistborn 1 (Sanderson), Every Last Drop (Huston),  and Shaman’s Crossing (Hobb). 

Lily   

I am only about 100 pages into this book and I find the writing style refreshing and I don't think it interfers with the story. I also like his method of unfolding the story as tale (something like the technique used by Dan Simmons in Hyperion). This book is well enough written that it could be enjoyed by anyone who like good literature and is not necessarily a fantasy fan. It might also be enjoyable to hear read as an audio (after all a good portion of it is a told story) but unfortunately the audio version won't be available until spring. However, the timing might be good to use the audio as a refresher when the Wise Man's Fear comes out. Anyone know when the next book is due out?

Nadine

I don't know if Paul posted his own review of this book anywhere (I could not find it but there are a lot of threads). So for those of you who missed it:

The Barnes & Noble Review
The debut novel from Patrick Rothfuss -- the first installment of an epic fantasy trilogy entitled the Kingkiller Chronicle -- not only lives up to its extraordinary pre-press hype (DAW president Elizabeth Wollheim called it "the most brilliant first fantasy novel I have read in over 30 years as an editor" ), it surpasses it. When fantasy fans begin reading The Name of the Wind, they should be fully prepared to lose all contact with the outside world while immersed in this highly original and mesmerizing tale of magic, love, and adventure.

The story revolves around Kvothe, an enigmatic red-haired innkeeper who, as he shares his incredible life story with a renowned scribe, turns out to be much more than he appears. Born into a family of nomadic court performers, Kvothe's unconventional education was broadened by spending time with fellow travelers like Abenthy, an elderly arcanist whose knowledge included, among other things, knowing the name of the wind. After his parents are brutally murdered by mythical beings known as the Chandrian, Kvothe vows to learn more about the godlike group, and after suffering through years of homelessness, he finally gets his chance when he is admitted into the prestigious University. But the pursuit of arcane knowledge brings with it unforeseen dangers, as the young student quickly learns…

With the release of his first novel, Rothfuss (who has already been compared to the likes of Terry Goodkind, Robert Jordan, and George R. R. Martin) is poised to be crowned the new king of epic fantasy. The Name of the Wind won't just impress longtime fantasy fans; it will absolutely blow them away -- an unprecedented, utterly breathtaking storytelling tour de force. Paul Goat Allen

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Just finished this one and really liked it. I agree with Nadine the style was a really nice change of pace. Can't wait for the next one!

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: Patrick Rothfuss: The Wise Man's Fear

avidreader2 wrote:

YEAH!

finally....

so is anyone else absolutely DYING to read the second book? This was the most surprising read I have experienced in a long time, and now I am completely hooked. Is there a specific date for the release yet?

I haven't found a release date yet on The Wise Man's Fear but I did find an excerpt from it: The Wise Man's Fear

Nadine
0 Kudos

Reasons from a year ago why The Wise Man's Fear was not on schedule:

http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/blog/2008/01/unhappy-announcement.html

I can well understand this delay from April 2008. It was not a great year for Patrick. There was a tentative date of April 2009 but I haven't found any recent verification of that yet. But I am also seeing April 2010. They have the cover art done and they know how many pages the book will be (896) so it must be typeset. I am really finding it hard to understand why they have such a long time between release dates on these series. People are ready to buy the next book now. What is the advantage of holding up the publication of books? Now Patrick's reason for the delay from the April 2008 to the April 2009 date are very understandable. But now they are talking April 2010 (what is with this April thing?). It is beginning to sound like GRRM.
Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nadine wrote:

I can well understand this delay from April 2008. It was not a great year for Patrick. There was a tentative date of April 2009 but I haven't found any recent verification of that yet. But I am also seeing April 2010. They have the cover art done and they know how many pages the book will be (896) so it must be typeset. I am really finding it hard to understand why they have such a long time between release dates on these series. People are ready to buy the next book now. What is the advantage of holding up the publication of books? Now Patrick's reason for the delay from the April 2008 to the April 2009 date are very understandable. But now they are talking April 2010 (what is with this April thing?). It is beginning to sound like GRRM.
No... no no no!! Please, dear God, don't make us wait a whole year... I had it all planned! I was going to buy it and read the whole thing on a 24 hour plane ride to Australia!!! They can't do this to us! NO no no!! I am all depressed now. Dang it. GAH! This is annoying. I hate delays on release dates... especially the 365 day release date delays!!
*sigh*
This makes me all sad on the inside. 

Message Edited by avidreader2 on 02-24-2009 07:49 AM
Nadine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I'm not sure about the delay to 2010 but it is sure looking that way. B&N doesn't have it up at all and the "other place" has it up but not even a pre-order -- just an "alert" notice for when it becomes available.  But it does have these stats on it:
  • Hardcover: 896 pages
  • Publisher: Gollancz (April 16, 2009)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0575081414
  • ISBN-13: 978-0575081413
  • Shipping Weight: 1.7 pounds
I was hoping there was someone on the board with more knowledge of these things.

avidreader2 wrote:

Nadine wrote:

No... no no no!! Please, dear God, don't make us wait a whole year... I had it all planned! I was going to buy it and read the whole thing on a 24 hour plane ride to Australia!!! They can't do this to us! NO no no!! I am all depressed now. Dang it. GAH! This is annoying. I hate delays on release dates... especially the 365 day release date delays!!
*sigh*
This makes me all sad on the inside. 

Message Edited by avidreader2 on 02-24-2009 07:49 AM

Message Edited by Nadine on 02-24-2009 04:55 PM
Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

Well, I know I'm REALLY disappointed.  I wonder if the delay has anything to do with financial considerations. Maybe the monster success of the first book has led to renegotiation of contract???????? (I'm so-o-o-o- glad I don't have to fly to Australia without it. Jealous of that!)
Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

pagemaven wrote:
Well, I know I'm REALLY disappointed.  I wonder if the delay has anything to do with financial considerations. Maybe the monster success of the first book has led to renegotiation of contract???????? (I'm so-o-o-o- glad I don't have to fly to Australia without it. Jealous of that!)

I had everything planned out dang it. GAH! Stupid stupid delays.

I hope it will be as good or better thant eh first one. I have been looking forward to this book for months! *sigh* I guess this is what I get for planning something out for once. I am usually a very spontanious person... so this is my punishment for going against my nature... life is cruel.

Maybe we're all missinformed, and it will be coming out on schedule! How great would that be?? I would be a happy person!

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

You guys all taked me into reading this and now you tell me it's going to be delayed?! This is information that would have been useful to have like a week and half ago. If this turns into a GRRM kinda thing, I will be very put out.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog