Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Patrick Rothfuss The Name of the Wind

Yeah I'm going to turn this into kinda like when I lose something, about the time I stop looking for it, it will show up.

I think the publisher is teasing us.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Yeah I'm going to turn this into kinda like when I lose something, about the time I stop looking for it, it will show up.

I think the publisher is teasing us.

Don't beg Brad. They LOVE it when we beg.

(Oh pleez, pleez, pleez.)

There are more of us than you think.
Nadine

Re: Patrick Rothfuss: The Wise Man's Fear

I found this on Patrick's blog (which looks to be as long as several chapters of The Wise Man's Fear) and it looks like it was posted recently in February 2009.

http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/blog/blog.html

I think we have a very, very long wait for The Wise Man's Fear! Here is a sample exceprt from that very long blog that might point out part of the problem. My psych 101 guess on this is that authors might just get scared stiff that they can't match the success of their successful books. No book is 100% perfect. Starvation might help prod the writer along a bit faster, or a publisher who insists on getting a book on a reasonable schedule. But without either a writer will just obsess forever in getting a book perfect and telling every side story he can think of as he goes along (I think that is GRRM's problem). This book is getting huge!

In any case, the cartoons are cute and he is being honest about his problems.

==================================

I am obsessive.

A week or so ago, I wrote a sentence that wasn't quite right. It bothered me like a popcorn husk stuck in the back of my throat. The problem was the word 'girlish.' It wasn't the right word. Close, but not right.

I thought about it when I went to bed that night. I thought about it in the shower. And the next day when I was driving into town to buy groceries it came to me. 'Childlike.' That was it. The perfect word.

You need to understand that I am a freak, and words are just the tip of the iceberg. The order of scenes, characterization, tension and subplot. I obsess about these things. I don't want them good. I want them perfect.

I like to think this obsessive attention to every little thing is a part of what makes my books worth reading twice. Worth telling your friends about. Worth writing smutty yaoi fanfic about. But it takes time.

One word down. 299,999 to go.

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Yikes! I guess I'll stop holding my breath on this. Sounds like he's descending into "writers block". As to GRRM's problem, he has waaaay too many irons in the fire. Even aside from his other series, etc. I think he's gotten carried away with too many storylines and now it's like trying to unravel 5 strings of christmas tree lights. I'll believe it when I see it on another "Songs of Fire and Ice". Then I'll have to decide if I care to buy it after the disappoinment of the last one. I'm not really worried about Rothfuss, he'll get there....eventually.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:

Yikes! I guess I'll stop holding my breath on this. Sounds like he's descending into "writers block". As to GRRM's problem, he has waaaay too many irons in the fire. Even aside from his other series, etc. I think he's gotten carried away with too many storylines and now it's like trying to unravel 5 strings of christmas tree lights. I'll believe it when I see it on another "Songs of Fire and Ice". Then I'll have to decide if I care to buy it after the disappoinment of the last one. I'm not really worried about Rothfuss, he'll get there....eventually.

Brad

I just hope with every fiber of my being that eventually will come sooner than my pessimism predicts. GAH! I am depressed. I want this book!!! LOL. I feel pathetic! 

"When camping in Canada, do not wear fruity chapstick... you might get mauled by grizzly bears."
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

avidreader2 wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

Brad

I just hope with every fiber of my being that eventually will come sooner than my pessimism predicts. GAH! I am depressed. I want this book!!! LOL. I feel pathetic! 

Avid,

Step away from the ledge, we're all here for you. It's gonna be alright.  Pick up a nice Terry Practhett book, there's soon to be a total of 32 (Discworld alone!), you'll never run out or have to wait for the next one (that's a little exaggeration, but you get my drift). Have cookie. I suggest one of those rowdy white chocolate and macedamia kind. It always works for me.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:

avidreader2 wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

Brad

Avid,

Step away from the ledge, we're all here for you. It's gonna be alright.  Pick up a nice Terry Practhett book, there's soon to be a total of 32 (Discworld alone!), you'll never run out or have to wait for the next one (that's a little exaggeration, but you get my drift). Have cookie. I suggest one of those rowdy white chocolate and macedamia kind. It always works for me.

Brad

Now if we can only talk the author off the ledge. Mabey a case of girl scout Samoa's?

Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

avidreader2 wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

Brad

Avid,

Brad

Now if we can only talk the author off the ledge. Mabey a case of girl scout Samoa's?

Cookies, coffee, and sleep solve problems such as these. Those and a good book. I am out of a good book... and you want to know why? Because my library system SUCKS. They have book 5 of a series I was looking into... but not books 1 through 4, How do you even do that?? I mean really people!!! Get your act together!! LOL. 

"When camping in Canada, do not wear fruity chapstick... you might get mauled by grizzly bears."
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

avidreader2 wrote:

Cookies, coffee, and sleep solve problems such as these. Those and a good book. I am out of a good book... and you want to know why? Because my library system SUCKS. They have book 5 of a series I was looking into... but not books 1 through 4, How do you even do that?? I mean really people!!! Get your act together!! LOL. 

Ah my sympathies. Did you inform your librain or this. I ranted at my local bookstore about the same problem. "Hey what's with 30 copies of 7, one of 6, and one of 2. How do you expect anyone to start this series?!" they finally did something about it. It might work.

Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

I have informed my library that they have alot of incomplete series, and they have told me that if I go through the books and find the missing books that they'll fill the holes. But I DO NOT, in any way shape of form, have time to go down to the library and sort through all those books. I really wish I did, but I don't.

So... I am in a serious pickle. I don't know what to do. The closest book store is about 20 minutes away (not to mention I can't afford to buy books right now), the closest library has nothing good to read, and I hate audio books... so what do I do???? 

Frequent Contributor
MJS74

go to BAEN.COM they have a free online library. it is all older books, no new releases . you can download them for free, and the have many worth your time.
Contributor
rustyw
0 Kudos

This book was great. It was almost fantasy without being fantasy. Just a startling coming of age story for a gifted young man. There were also, for me anyway, some great hints that he might actually come out of his shell and eventually face whatever is wrong with the world. I will definitely keep reading cause I am hooked now (if I live that long of course--2010???)

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

avidreader2 wrote:

I have informed my library that they have alot of incomplete series, and they have told me that if I go through the books and find the missing books that they'll fill the holes. But I DO NOT, in any way shape of form, have time to go down to the library and sort through all those books. I really wish I did, but I don't.

So... I am in a serious pickle. I don't know what to do. The closest book store is about 20 minutes away (not to mention I can't afford to buy books right now), the closest library has nothing good to read, and I hate audio books... so what do I do???? 

Well, we could try a B&N group book exchange except that I don't think any of us will part with our books!?!?  How about a group lending library? Maybe..., it only costs $3-4 to mail a book, so unless you have a GREAT SOURCE for used books, it might work. Thoughts?
Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

More thoughts... we have a really great old used book store here, full of books and dogs. There isn't much, especially in the older books, that cannot be found there. They have been continuously in business for 44 years that I know of, and incidentally, when we were looking for donations to send to troops in Iraq, they gave us a copy of every single book that they had multiples of.( preposition, I know.) Anyway, I wouldn't mind doing some searching for missing books once in a while, who wouldn't like chasing Doonie the happy mongrel through the "stacks" once a week? (No extra charge for dog hair.)
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

pagemaven wrote:
More thoughts... we have a really great old used book store here, full of books and dogs. There isn't much, especially in the older books, that cannot be found there. They have been continuously in business for 44 years that I know of, and incidentally, when we were looking for donations to send to troops in Iraq, they gave us a copy of every single book that they had multiples of.( preposition, I know.) Anyway, I wouldn't mind doing some searching for missing books once in a while, who wouldn't like chasing Doonie the happy mongrel through the "stacks" once a week? (No extra charge for dog hair.)

Yeah I hit my local once every 6 weeks serching for missing pieces myself. I could look for something specific, while I'm at it.

A exchange system or something?

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

pagemaven wrote:

Yeah I hit my local once every 6 weeks serching for missing pieces myself. I could look for something specific, while I'm at it.

I like it. Anybody else?

A exchange system or something?

Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

I vote that B&N does a Netflix kind of thing... like you can rent books from them. I don't know about you guys, but I have found that libraries lack the newer books unless they have been written by a well known author. This bugs me half to death, so I say that B&N offers like a membership thing where if you're a member, you can rent books from them... and you can't get the nest book until you return the one you have etc. etc....

That would rock my socks. 

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Ok I looked it up. It's bit of trouble, and your local librian might give you some guff.

But any person with a state recognized library card can request any book within that states libray system. Your library just has to borrow it for you. But taken further.... the library of congress will lend books to your local library if requested.

Make friends with your librarian and use some pull.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

avidreader2 wrote:

I vote that B&N does a Netflix kind of thing... like you can rent books from them. I don't know about you guys, but I have found that libraries lack the newer books unless they have been written by a well known author. This bugs me half to death, so I say that B&N offers like a membership thing where if you're a member, you can rent books from them... and you can't get the nest book until you return the one you have etc. etc....

That would rock my socks. 

There was a book rental site a few years back. It disappeared.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic
0 Kudos

rustyw wrote:

I will definitely keep reading cause I am hooked now (if I live that long of course--2010???)

April, IIRC. Rothfuss may be deliberately delaying his books, but he's no George R.R. Martin.