Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Re: Post Questions For Brandon Sanderson Here!

Nadine wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Wow. Talk about a massive amount of information – awesome! Thanks for a great first day, Brandon! I can hardly wait until tomorrow! (Hope this isn't too overwhelming!)

Paul 

Some really fantastic stuff that we didn't consider in our recent book discussions. I have pulled and saved some of the really relevant stuff. We still have active threads on virtually all the books and we can bring them up for discussion.  I'm sure our body of "experts" will want to consider some of the topics we covered in light of these new revelations.

WOW WEeee!!  (Wiping sweat from brow)  Brandon has really shared lots of information with us today.  And to think tons more to come... I can't wait.  I will have to digest what I read tonight and revisit all this information again and ponder over some more.  Then maybe I can tie it in with the threads we have going.  I so wish this week wasn't a week I can't get to the computer as much, that just stinks for me.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Melhay wrote:

Nadine wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Wow. Talk about a massive amount of information – awesome! Thanks for a great first day, Brandon! I can hardly wait until tomorrow! (Hope this isn't too overwhelming!)

Paul 

Some really fantastic stuff that we didn't consider in our recent book discussions. I have pulled and saved some of the really relevant stuff. We still have active threads on virtually all the books and we can bring them up for discussion.  I'm sure our body of "experts" will want to consider some of the topics we covered in light of these new revelations.

WOW WEeee!!  (Wiping sweat from brow)  Brandon has really shared lots of information with us today.  And to think tons more to come... I can't wait.  I will have to digest what I read tonight and revisit all this information again and ponder over some more.  Then maybe I can tie it in with the threads we have going.  I so wish this week wasn't a week I can't get to the computer as much, that just stinks for me.

WOW....It really has been a great day! Thanks so much, Brandon, for taking the time to answer all these questions I'm learning tons of great stuff. It's information overload....Way Cool! Your the Man!

Diehard Sanderson Fan:smileywink:,

Krista

Message Edited by carmen22 on 07-08-2009 11:12 PM
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Contributor
little_wilson

Second batch...kind of...for someone else...whom you know.... and both of us...yeah...anyway....moving past these ellipsis, the questions:

Mi'chelle is wanting to know for a fanfic she's wanting to write if when you cut/break an object that has been awakened if the object then "dies", or if the pieces will try to carry out the command.  Also, either way, can the breaths be recovered from it?

She (and I) would also like to know more details of the mistborn movie. The last she heard, you'd rejected it being a tv series. So, yeah. Any more details?

Peter said  if we did enough begging, we could see some Nightblood replicas. Can you give us more details? And exactly HOW much more begging would be necessary (Mi'chelle says keep it below $100...I say below $50, but I suppose if you must go higher, I might be able to compensate...)?

If the gang from WE were put in a horror film, obviously Dan would be the killer.  But what order do you think everyone would die in? And how would they die? (The victim list includes: you, Howard, Jordan, Pemberly, Stacy, and Peter)

And lastly, Mi'chelle and I had an idea while conversing....Have you done firesides, and would you consider doing them?

"All human wisdom is contained in these words: Wait and hope!" -Edmond Dantes, The Count of Monte Cristo
Bibliophile
Melhay

In Mistborn:
  There was mention of a man named Adonasuim.  We were wondering if this man may have been Preservation, whom "died" before Vin took over.  Is that who he was or was he someone else?

The man who died before Vin took over was named Leras.  (I've occasionally written it as Laras.  I've said the names in my head for years, but I'm only now writing them down as people ask me on forums.)  Leras, like Ati (aka Ruin), were NOT Adonalsium.  (Sorry about the typo on that one in MB3.  I wrote it down on the manuscript, and it didn't get put in quite right.  We'll get it fixed.)  

Adonalsium was something or someone else.  You will find out more.  There are clues in Warbreaker and The Way of Kings.

Okay, you have peaked my curiousity.

Now, I am not sure what questions to ask to try to get the answer(s) I am curious on.  But, I will give it a shot...

Is Adonalsium going to be mentioned by name in Warbreaker and The Way of Kings or is he going to be an underlining "God"(I don't know what to call him yet) idea?  I am curious now, so I will have to keep my eyes open for him. 

Is this "character" a common link between your books for religion or magical or maybe even both?

I was curious because he just seemed to appear and nothing further on him/it.  Thank you for mentioning that he is in these 2 other books, I will have to look for hints of him.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

In Mistborn:
  There was mention of a man named Adonasuim.  We were wondering if this man may have been Preservation, whom "died" before Vin took over.  Is that who he was or was he someone else?

The man who died before Vin took over was named Leras.  (I've occasionally written it as Laras.  I've said the names in my head for years, but I'm only now writing them down as people ask me on forums.)  Leras, like Ati (aka Ruin), were NOT Adonalsium.  (Sorry about the typo on that one in MB3.  I wrote it down on the manuscript, and it didn't get put in quite right.  We'll get it fixed.)  

Adonalsium was something or someone else.  You will find out more.  There are clues in Warbreaker and The Way of Kings.

Okay, you have peaked my curiousity.

Now, I am not sure what questions to ask to try to get the answer(s) I am curious on.  But, I will give it a shot...

Is Adonalsium going to be mentioned by name in Warbreaker and The Way of Kings or is he going to be an underlining "God"(I don't know what to call him yet) idea?  I am curious now, so I will have to keep my eyes open for him. 

Is this "character" a common link between your books for religion or magical or maybe even both?

I was curious because he just seemed to appear and nothing further on him/it.  Thank you for mentioning that he is in these 2 other books, I will have to look for hints of him.

Melissa, I think we have members from another forum joining us and they have information that we don't have. Maybe even advanced book information, like we know nothing about the Way of Kings and only heard about the book recently and know nothing of its content.

Could some of you newcomers introduce yourselves (maybe on our "Introduce Yourself" thread and not clutter up this one) and tell us where you are from? We love the information you are bringing and introducing on this thread but we are confused.

New User
Zas678
0 Kudos

The information we're getting is from his forum: at http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?board=14.0

There's information there from new metals in Mistborn to guesses at who Hoid is.

Feel free to join and add information you may know! 

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Brandon:

I'd like to ask your opinion of the current state of the fantasy genre....

Fantasy has always been a "series-powered" genre but it seems that lately several authors (or publishers) just don't know when to suitably end a long-running saga... Drawing out a series for the sake of more installments, it seems.

And there seems to be fewer and fewer standalone novels like Warbreaker and Elantris. (I love standalone novels, by the way, and am hoping that that "format" makes a return!)

Any comments on this from your perspective? Thanks!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
New User
TaurusRW
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hello mr Sanderson!

I have full confidence in your ability to finish the Wheel of Time and do it good. Orson Scott Card thinks your good and that is enough for me. You have also communicated a lot with us fans, really taking your time to explain to the fans how you approach this big project. I think that shows a huge amount of commitment and respect towards the fans!

I have more than one question 

My question 1: Will the material written for AMoL by  Jordan remain intact in the published novel or will you rewrite it to match your on style of writing?

My question 2: Hope you can answer this one. In the world of the wheel, would the soul of an animal be reborn as the same animal when that particular age comes again, like humans are?

My question 3: Which is your favorite Pratchett novel and why?

Keep up the good work! We believe in you!

Rickard W.

Message Edited by TaurusRW on 07-09-2009 03:28 PM
Reader 2
Chaos2651
0 Kudos

Hey Brandon, it's Chaos, which means you'll get a ton of detailed, esoteric questions about things that no one else cares about. Okay, cool. Also, I'm sure I'll get RAFO'd. Anywho:

(Spoilers)

1. In Mistborn, you say its planet is called Scadriel. In-universe, where (or when) did the name Scadriel come to be used to be describe the Mistborn planet? Did the Lord Ruler and his obligators use that as the name of the planet, or did it come later, post-MB3? Or is "Scadriel" just what you as an author use to refer to it?

2. Is there a rationale to how Hemalurgic powers are distributed? I tried to look for a system, but they seem rather randomly distributed. For example, the spike which steals Allomantic powers for a particular quadrant is not always in one particular spot.

3. Can you tell us what the rest of the Feruchemical and Hemalurgic powers are? Since, you know, you won't be writing in the Mistborn world for many years, and those Feruchemical and Hemalurgic Tables might not even come into existence if the Allomantic Metals one doesn't sell. Pretty please?

4. When is the Table of Allomantic Metals coming out?

5. Hemalurgically, atium steals Allomantic Temporal Powers. But, that seems unlikely, since atium is a god metal. It wouldn't fit in with the rest of the magic system. Did Preservation, in addition to switching Cadmium and Bendalloy for Atium and Malatium, also switch atium's Feruchemical and Hemalurgic powers with Cadmium? Because it seems to me there's not a lot of atium Marsh can use to live for hundreds of years into the next Mistborn trilogy. :smileytongue:

6. Will Sazed appear at all in the Stormlight Archive?

7. In the days of the Final Empire, how does one acquire a Kandra Contract? It's not like they can just walk up to their hidden Homeland and ask for their services.

8. Are you going to write another WoT encyclopedia?

Author
MistbornSanderson

so first and formost, is there going to be a 2nd warbreaker?

Yes, but I can't promise when.  I want to do a book that deals more with the Lifeless and Nightblood, following Vasher and Vivenna a little further.  But the WoT made me shelf this project for now.  We'll see.  It should happen eventually.

next i been hearing about the way of kings series u are starting. are you planning to have that as a single book or going to try and make it like a trilogy like mistborn or a large 10 or more book series.

It's going to be a big series.  No promises on length right now, but I feel that it is going to be long.  I have 10 books plotted right now, though some of those might get combined--essentially, there are 10 plot arcs I want to cover.  But expect it to be big.  The first book is done, and came in at 380,000 words before editing.

Author
MistbornSanderson
0 Kudos

Could you tell us, if you know, whether the Prologue of TGS is going to be published early ? It was for the last three books.

I really wish I could give you something firm on this.  I know it was done previously, and I've asked for it to be done again--just because so many people want to see it.  But there's a big time crunch on this book, and I don't know if Tor can spare the energy for this right now.  We'll see.  I'll ask again. 

Contributor
Rachykaych

Hey Brandon,

I've just read Warbreaker twice now and really enjoyed it both times.

I read that although you've planned another book in the Warbreaker world you're not certain of when you can begin writing it. As it is the only book of yours that I've read to date, I've had to skip some of your answers to other questions that contain spoilers for your other book One thing I noticed in my skimming was that the character Hoid has turned up in other books of yours.

He's very intriguing and at one point I thought he might be Vasher in disguise. Is he a Returned or is he not constrained by the magical construct?

Also I wondered whether you will ever publish an encyclopoedia of your interlocking worlds and their relationship to each other within their cosmos?

"He's winding up the watch of his wit. By and by it will strike."
Author
MistbornSanderson

Brandon, how do you feel your identity and upbringing as a Mormon has effected your work?

Elantris, for instance, centers around a magic system that has essentially been broken because something in the world has changed--a "new revelation" if you will. And then Mistborn has at its core a set of holy writings that have been altered by an evil force.

These things seem decidely Mormon to me, or at least informed from a Mormon perspective. Do you feel that is the case?

I don't set out to put anything specifically Mormon into my books, but who I am definitely influences what I write and how I write it.  I'm always curious at the things people dig out of my writing--neither of the two points you mention above are things that I was conscious of, though they certainly do make interesting points now that you look at them.

My goal in storytelling is first and foremost to be true to the characters--their passions, beliefs, and goals.  No matter what those are.  I'm not trying to make a point consciously ever in my writing--though I do think that good stories should raise questions and make readers think.  

Who I am as a person heavily influences what I write, and I draw from everything I can find--whether it be LDS, Buddhist, Islamic, or Atheist. It's all jumbled up there in that head of mine, and comes out in different characters who are seeking different things.  

In other words, I'm not setting out to be like C.S. Lewis and write parables of belief.  I'm trying more what Tolkien did (not, of course, meaning to compare myself favorably with the master) in that I tell story and setting first, and let theme and meaning take care of itself.  

Fiction doesn't really exist--certainly doesn't have power--until it is read.  You create the story in your head when you read it, and so your interpretations (and your pronunciations on the names) are completely valid in your telling of the story.  The things you come up with may be things I noticed and did intentionally, they may be subconscious additions on my part, or they may simply be a result of your interaction with the text.  But all three are valid.

On a different but related note, I really love that you honestly look at religious convictions in your books and that you don't portray such convictions in a shallow way.

Regardless of a person's beliefs, I think they would have to admit that religion and spirituality has played a large part in our development as a people.  It's a very important thing to so many of us--and I also think that for most of us, our beliefs are nowhere near as simple as they seem when viewed from the outside.  I appreciate your praise here, though I think I still have a lot to learn.  There's a real line to walk in expressing a character's religious views without letting them sound preachy--the goal is to make the character real, but not bore the reader.  

Author
MistbornSanderson
0 Kudos

Will The Way of Kings series be based on one of the worlds and magic systems you have already created or are you inventing a totally new one for this series?

It will be new.  There are going to be a lot of different types of magic in the world (I see there's a question below asking about that, so I'll answer more there.)  But there will be two main magic systems for the first book.  The first will deal with the manipulation of fundamental forces. (Gravity, Strong/weak atomic forces, Electromagnetic force, that sort of thing.)  The second will be a transformation based magic system, whereby people can transform objects into one of the world's ten elements.
New User
Nikleas
0 Kudos

My questions:

- Since you established that all the worlds you created in your books are linked, any chance to see in the (very) distant future a book/series that delves into this overarching story/universe/rules more directly? Possibly with a crossover of characters from your different stories, specifically characters that became "immortal" or at least achieve a

"different" state: Sazed, Kelsier, Raoden. Is that something you would even be interested in doing?

Or will you stick to placing subtle hints in your different books/series about the overall system?

- Is the world of Alcatraz part of this whole system or is that completely different since targeted to different readers?

- WOT question: Did you go through ALL the notes from RJ on the Wheel of time (if that is even humanly possible) or just those related to Memory of Light?

-  WOT question: Rereading the series right now to get ready for TGS, currently on book 4. Has RJ included details in his note about who made Callandor and who placed it in the Stone of Tear  (and how). 

-  WOT question: Probably RAFO, but same question about the land beyond the Aiel Waste (don't remember the name)? Has RJ done some worldbuilding on it and are we going to see it before the series ends or is it some Tolkienish "Oh yeah, forgot to mention or include it on the map but there's some other kind of lands out there, just so you know. But you ain't going to see it, besides they probably don't care about the fate of the world out there".

Finishing to read through the WOT books again and I will read Warbreaker next, I promise!

Author
MistbornSanderson
0 Kudos

Brandon, with you being a writer specialized in cool and unique magic systems, how was it to use and write with the magic system in Wheel of Time? Hard or easy? Did you have to come up with new weaves, or did Jordan already have unmentioned weaves written down somewhere? And how did it work for you to write channeling battles?

Well, the Wheel of Time magic system was one of those that inspired me to make magic systems the way I do.  I've long loved the magic in Mr. Jordan's books, and think he does a very good job of walking the line between having it feel scientific and still feel wondrous.  He does tend to go a little bit further toward wonder--as opposed to science--but that has a great number of advantages for his story.

In answer, I've come up with just a few new weaves, but mostly I wanted to use his weaves in new ways.  I think there's a lot of room to explore the use of Weaves and how people interact with the magic.  Don't expect a LOT of this though.  The focus is on the characters and the Last Battle at this point, but there were a few places where (mostly in throw-away, background moments) I was able to explore the magic a tad.  I actually found it one of the easier things in the book, though I DID have to keep looking up how specific weaves were created.  It gets confusing, particularly since men and women often do the weaves differently.  

As for channeling battles...well, I can't really tell you if there are any of those in the book without giving anything away, now can I?  So we'll have to RAFO that.  :smileywink:
New User
izyk

Brandon,

You mentioned in an earlier answer that learning to revise was one of the biggest factors in making your work publishable.

Would you give us an idea of the process you go through when you revise?

Thanks!

--Isaac

http://www.rocketroadtrip.com
Author
MistbornSanderson
0 Kudos

You have stated in your blog (http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/784/Another-Long-Winded-Explanation-of-Various-Things) that Mistborn had three magic systems (Allomancy, Feruchemy and Hemurology) and also that the Way of Kings will have upwards of 20. For comparison, how many magic systems would you say the Wheel of Time series has? Two (One Power and the True Power)? How do you classify other abilities (not necessarily related to the One Power or True Power) such as dreamwalking, viewing the pattern, wolfbrother-hoodness, and changing 'luck' or chance? Would you classify these abilities as a magic system in and of themselves? Has your chance to see the background material Robert Jordan left changed how you view these abilities?

This kind of gets sticky, as it's all up to semantics.  Really, you could say that Mistborn had a different magic system for each type of Misting.  But at the same time, you could argue that something like X-Men--with huge numbers of powers--all falls under the same blanked 'magic system.'  And take Hemalurgy in Mistborn 3--is it a new magic system, or just a reinterpretation of Allomancy and Feruchemy?

So what do I mean by twenty or thirty magic systems in KINGS?  Hard to say, as I don't want to give spoilers.  I have groupings of abilities that have to deal with a certain theme.  Transformation, Travel, Pressure and Gravity, that sort of thing.  By one way of counting, there are thirty of these--though by another way of grouping them together, there are closer to ten.

Anyway, I'd say that the Wheel of Time has a fair number of Magic systems.  The biggest one would be the One Power/True Power, which is more of a blanket "Large" magic system kind of like Allomancy being a blanket for sixteen powers--only the WoT magic system is far larger.  I'd count what Perrin/Egwene do in Tel as a different magic system.  What Mat does as something else, the talents one can have with the Power something else.  Though I'd group all of the Foretelling/Viewing powers into one.

Sounds like a topic for a paper, actually.  Any of you academics out there feel like writing one?  

Let's just say that The Wheel of Time has a smaller number of larger magic systems, and I tend to use a larger number of smaller magic systems.  Confusing enough?  :smileywink:

One common theme in magic systems across fantasy is the use of artifacts to focus, increase or do something specific with the magic. Inclusion of artifacts is something you have avoided in your magic systems (although I will say I haven't missed them). Is there a reason for this? How has your writing changed with the 'forced' introduction of artifacts (i.e. finishing the Wheel of Time)? Do you plan on using artifacts in your own works after you finish the Wheel of Time?

I've not done artifacts for the same reason I've not yet done a lot of things--not because I don't want to, but because I like to keep the focus in a given book or books.  There wasn't room for yet another extrapolation in that direction when writing the Mistborn books, and the magic system didn't really allow for it.  

However, I think there is a lot of room to explore magic artifacts.  I've long been wanting to do something that refines magic and uses technology based on it, in kind of a magic-punk sort of way.  KINGS, for instance, does use artifacts and magical items--very specific kinds, mind you, that are built into the framework of the magic system.  But they're there.  One of the big elements of this world will be the existence of Shardplate (magically enhanced, powered plate armor) and Shardblades (large, summonable swords designed to cut through steel and stone.)

This isn't really because of the WoT--I wrote the original draft of this book long before I was published, let alone working on the WoT--but I have always lilked the use of artifacts in the WoT world, and it has been fun to use some of them in that setting. 

Author
MistbornSanderson
0 Kudos

The Way of Kings

I found this on a blog posted July 2008. Does it have any relationship to reality?

-------------------------------

...No matter your race, nationality, gender, sexual orientation or belief system, you will find something to love in "The Way of Kings". There were pirates, ninjas, monkeys, fireworks, grand journeys, infidels dragged through streets by dragons and a fair amount of buckles swashed. There were ladies romanced, men romanced, sheep romanced and one scene where even two mice get it on. And if you can forgive an inordinate amount of abuse aimed at Canadians, this just may be the book for you. Be forewarned, however, if you can't abide graphic depictions of sexual content that would make Laurell K. Hamilton blush and cover her naughty bits, you might want to skip this book...

...The way Brandon Sanderson breathes life into this story is inspirational. The characters, the storyline, the magic -- seemingly woven (as only Brandon can) from sheer nothingness. One of my favorite parts of the book is where the Wizard Ooflar divides one rather simple system of magic into five complex subsets, each with its own arcane history and labyrinthine steps. Who would have thought the apprentice Pemberly could put an entire village to sleep by tapping out a quadrille in her clogs? Although it would seem implausible, somehow his magical system works, especially the dance-off. I also enjoyed the ten-day feast in section two, chapter 85. I don't know if I'll ever forget the scene in which we see King Horag the Midleth eating live grunthyean orbs. (gag) I loved this book and can't wait for the sequel... 

Ha.  These are some of the amusing fake reviews for KINGS that readers have been posting on Amazon.  For some reason, Amazon put up a page for this book years and years ago, when I got my first contract.  Somehow, they heard I was working on a book called THE WAY OF KINGS, and jumped the gun in adding a page for it, even though I was still working on the book.  (I've been planning, writing, and wrestling with this story for some ten years now.)

Anyway, readers noticed the page and began having fun with it.  None of them have read the book, but that hasn't stopped them from reviewing it.  There are even pictures of it, including photoshops of me holding a fake book.  Look for it on Amazon.  It's rather amusing.

New User
Aldoth
0 Kudos

Brandon,

A bit left of center question. Are you a role player? I ask because on writing excuses I think I heard you mention it. The question that I have for you is, now that you know the ending of Wheel of Time after the final book has been released will it be a world that you could set a game in? 

Or will it be like Tolkien where after the end of LOTR the world is pretty much over? I ask cos it looks to be a great place to set an RPG and I want to know if I should be looking to a time before Eye of the World or if I should run a new age?