Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Czanos
0 Kudos

Re: Post Questions For Brandon Sanderson Here!

Any idea when you'll be releasing the full table of Allomantic metals and associated phonetics shown in your blog post about vinyl decals? (http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/735/Allomantic-Metal-Vinyl-Decals!)

Author
MistbornSanderson
0 Kudos

And, just to be official, this marks the cut-off point.  I'm going to do my best to get to the questions before this post during the next week.  

To be honest, I'm flattered by the number, variety, and thoughtfulness of the questions.  Thanks for being patient as I work my way through them.  

paulgoatallen

Brandon:

A huge "thank you" from me and everyone on the forum. Wow. So much information here! I know you've spent way more time here than you expected and, believe me, we all appreciate it!

Good luck with everything – Memory of Light, The Way of Kings, etc. Know that we will be featuring all of these books when they are released!

Thanks again!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Brandon, I would like to add to Paul's "Thanks." You have provided an amazing wealth of detail, much of which I had no idea of before. We really appreciate the amount of patience, time and attention you have given our guestions and the formation of your answers.

Now a word to the newcomers to the board before you disappear:

For those of you new to this board (and you old timers who now have an interest in Brandon's books), we have a number of  discussions threads on virtually all of Brandon's books. We had not read any of the books initially and like to read the books in sections to see if we can second guess what is going to happen. Brandon surprises us every time. Those of you who have already read the books can get a big chuckle over our wild speculations. We have finished reading all but Warbreaker but the discussions continue, so please join in and add your comments.

Elantris

Misborn #1: The Final Empire

Mistborn #2: The Well of Ascension

Mistborn #3: The Hero of Ages

Warbreaker

We are only part way through Warbreaker (up to page 359, chapter 33) so now is a good time to join the discussion.

We don't have a thread for Alcatraz yet but feel free to start one and I'm sure many of us will join you.

Author
MistbornSanderson
0 Kudos

What's the earliest that we'll be seeing more of Scribbler (I'd heard a bunch about it at TWG, and so I found the sample chapters on your site and now I'm REALLY wanting more of it, so I'd like to know when I should start looking again...)?

Sigh.  I really want to do something with Scribbler, but I can't justify it right now.  I'm doing the fourth Alcatraz because I can't put it off any longer because of contracts, and KINGS because Tor really wants a solo Brandon book next year.  But I can't justify working too much on a project that hasn't been sold and which--if published--would end up pulling me into another side trilogy.  I have to leave the WoT with the space it needs and deserves.  Until it is completed, I have to shelve side projects.  That, unfortunately, includes Scribbler.  For now.

There are some things in the works with it, and I'm very excited about the possibilities.  But there's nothing tangible I can give you now.  It's coming.  Maybe sooner than I've made it sound, but best to be careful as nothing is set yet.

Do you know when we'll start seeing Way of Kings? Sample chapters in particular. This series sounds freaking amazing and I can't wait to see more of it. So, yeah..now that the first draft is finished (congratulations, by the way), I'm quite curious...

My plan is to start releasing sample chapters of Kings next year sometime in the spring.  Not too close to draw any attention away from the release of The Gathering Storm, but far enough ahead of the Kings launch to give a good preview.  February, perhaps?  If you don't see them by then, I officially give you permission to send my assistant a reminder email to 'poke' me into doing it.  

And lastly, do you think you're going to be able to do any readings at the Idaho Falls signing later this year, or is it going to be entirely focused on WoT? Because I (and I'm sure others) would TOTALLY love to hear some solo-Brandon stuff. (Oh, and related, do you know WHEN the I.F. signing will be?)

I'll be doing a signing during the Christmas Season, though it will be focused on the WoT. (It's going to be very close to Christmas, maybe the Friday or Saturday before.) Perhaps I'll ask the bookstore if I can come back after the WoT fans are sated to do a reading on another day, after Christmas, focused on my own work.  I'll consider it.  Seems like it might be a good idea.   
Author
MistbornSanderson

Also, I wanted to say thanks to Paul for the invitation to do this.  I appreciate the welcome!

Others, feel free to still post in this thread (unless Paul decides it should be locked).  I'll still read your replies and comments if they're here, I just won't be able to respond.  (Except for the questions asked above, which--as I noted--I'll keep working through.)

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

MistbornSanderson wrote:

Also, I wanted to say thanks to Paul for the invitation to do this.  I appreciate the welcome!

Others, feel free to still post in this thread (unless Paul decides it should be locked).  I'll still read your replies and comments if they're here, I just won't be able to respond.  (Except for the questions asked above, which--as I noted--I'll keep working through.)

Brandon:

Don't worry about these threads being locked – they'll remain open (and probably active!) until the end of time! And please feel free to stop when whenever you'd like... (we'll be here!)

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Author
MistbornSanderson
0 Kudos

Hey Mr.. Sanderson, I know that amol should be finished in the next couple years (at the latest.) I know that you tend to work on multiple projects. Unless you are planning to do another (totally) new project can we expect another warbreaker, elantris, or preferably mistborn book as you release the ten way of kings books?

I do like to work on multiple projects.  During those early unpublished years, I was always hopping from book to book, and it became habit for me.  It really helps me keep fresh, allowing me to try new things and experiment with my style. One of the hardest thinks about working on the WoT has been the number of side projects I've had to set aside because of lack of time.

And so, with the Way of Kings series (aka The Stormlight Archive) I plan to do the books on a 2-to-1 ration.  Meaning two Stormlight books, followed by one random side book.  Generally, you should expect three books every two years from me, as that's been my speed.  So there should still be a Stormlight book every year, though we'll see.

Some will be new things, others will be in current series.  My current plans are to do an Elantris sequel in 2015, for instance, and I'd like to do the second (and final) Warbreaker book eventually.

also, is there a common reality/universe throughout all of you works (WoT excluded)? The gods and magic system of your books you have mentioned as pieces of a larger source. I know I am mistaking the language a bit it was a while ago that I read this. But preservation and ruin were linked and you referenced possible deities in elantris, not to mention austre. I know your magic systems are all well thought out and the rules have practical founding. With this in mind, I assume your deities and beings of power would have universally applied links and rules as well. I figure they all exist in the same multi-verse.

I am remaining mostly closed-lipped on this topic, as I don't want to spoil the story and discovery.  There is a lot of discussion about it on my website.  I can confirm what I've said earlier, that there is a common character appearing in the books, and that there is a single cosmology to all of the Shardworlds and their books (Elantris, Mistborn, Warbreaker, White Sand, Dragonsteel, The Silence Divine, etc.  Those last three are unpublished, by the way.)  There is also a connection between how the magic works in each book, as well as the fundamental metaphysics of the worlds.    
Author
MistbornSanderson

I almost forgot, now that The Way of Kings first book, first draft is finished. When can we expect that to hit the shelves?

August or September of next year.  (Huzzah!)

Author
MistbornSanderson
0 Kudos

now my intrest is perked. Whivh charecter is in both mistborn and elantris? I must know!!

of corse if it is a secret for another book donb't tell me.

I suggest looking through my forums and talking to the people there.  Also, some questions on this forum talk about the issue.  I don't like to spell things out, and so I stay away from giving too much.  Look around; it's not to difficult to find, now that people have begun to catch on. 

Author
MistbornSanderson
0 Kudos

Oops, I missed the Twitter Q&A, but I noticed there you're doing a signing in the DC area later this year. Thanks!

Yup.  Soon after The Gathering Storm is released.  Details will be on my website soon.  Will also be in New York, at the B&N flagship store on Manhattan.

Is it possible that there could be more than 4 Alcatraz books, or will the story conclude there?

I pitched the series at 6 books, but only signed on for four at first.  And so, while I'll be fulfilling my four book contract (happily) I don't know that I'll have time to write an Alcatraz book in 2010 (for 2011 release.)  I may have to let it stop at four for now, as to not take time away from the Wheel of Time.  We'll see how I feel once I've finished all three of those, and we'll see how interested readers are in the books.  But there's certainly a possibility.

Author
MistbornSanderson
0 Kudos

Welcome and it is great to know that you live not too far from me.  My question is this.  I know that Orson Scott Card taught some Comparative Science Fiction class at BYU.  Did you every take it and if so how much influence did it have on your wanting to write?  I have enjoyed all of your books and at family gatherings that do get discussed.

I actually never got to take a class from Mr. Card, though I have enjoyed his books quite a bit.  From what I hear, he has excellent advice for writers, but he wasn't teaching any classes at BYU when I was there.  I did take a class from David Farland, which was extremely helpful.  By then I was already a very dedicated writer (I had just finished Elantris) but didn't know much about the business at all.  Mr. Farland's class taught me a lot about the nuts and bolts of getting published, and one could say that I owe my eventual publication--and a lot of my success--to what he taught and how helpful he was in how he taught it.  Excellent person and writer.  

Author
MistbornSanderson
0 Kudos

When is the next Alcatraz book coming out?

Alcatraz Versus the Knights of Crystallia is in stores October 1st (though Scholastic often ships early, so you might find it as early as September 1st.)  Book four--Alcatraz Versus the Shattered Lens--is being written now and will come out the following October.

Author
MistbornSanderson
0 Kudos

Now my question: is Warbreaker going to be the start of a series?

I've talked about the sequel.  I wouldn't call it a series, though, since I'm only intending it to be two books.  I actually plotted it at one, then during drafting decided that some of the things I wanted to do would be better in a sequel, and started calling it a two-book series.  Tor signed me for two, and have put the second one on infinite hiatus, allowing me to turn it in whenever I want.  

Author
MistbornSanderson
0 Kudos

About your characters, Brandon:

- Which ones are the most like yourself?

There's a piece of me in every one of them, but I'm not really like any of them.  People who know me well say that Alcatraz's humor reminds them of my humor (which is different from Lightsong's humor or Kelsier's humor, which are different from mine.)  Elend in the original Mistborn book represents so of how I've been known to act (bringing books to social events.)  Shuden in Elantris has a lot of me in him, actually.  Raoden has my optimism, Hrathen my logical and thoughtful (and dangerously devious) mind, Vin my pragmatic determination, and Sarene my utter lack of skill with painting or drawing.  :smileywink:  In the end, I don't know if I can pick one who is most like me.  Perhaps you should ask my wife.  She'd probably be better at seeing this than I am.  

- Your favorite male and female characters you've written?

Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by favorite.  A lot of people ask me this question, and my response is often different.  Who am I writing at the time, what I am feeling at the time?  Lightsong makes me laugh, but Kelsier is conflicted in a more personal, dangerous way--and that appeals to me.  Vin is best rounded, but Sazed is (perhaps) closest to my heart.   

- Your favorite male/female characters of all time?

Man, I'm bad at answering questions like this.  Okay, male is probably Jean Valjean.  Female...urg...  Moiraine, maybe?  Sioned from Dragon Prince is pretty awesome too.  Double urg.  I don't know.   Jenny from Dragonsbane has long been one of my favorites, so maybe I'd pick her. 

About research:  What, if any, reasearch for your novels have you done, and how did you do it?

The calling of a fiction writer, particularly a fantasy writer, is to know a little bit about a lot of things--just enough to be dangerous, so to speak.  I tend to read survey books that talk about history--things that give overviews, such as the history of warfare, or the history of the sword, or navigation.  That kind of thing.  I would say I do a fair amount of research, but mostly it's an attempt to dump as much into my brain as possible for spawning stories and writing about things intelligently.  For Mistborn, I researched canals, eunuchs, and London during the mid 1800's.  

The Eternal Question:  Mac or PC?

PC.  Not out of any avid devotion, but because it's what I've grown up on.  My wife is a Mac person, though.   

Your word processor of choice?

Word.  Same reason as above.

Do you have music on real loud when you write (I've heard Steve King writes like that) or is it soft in the background?

Soft in the background.   

Is the Way of Kings your biggest work planned or do you have something on the shelf that's bigger?

Well...depends.  Dragonsteel is plotted at seven books.  And I plan two more trilogies, eventually, in the Mistborn world.  But KINGS was always planned and plotted to be the big war epic, focusing on large numbers of characters across a large number of books.  Mistborn will span hundreds and hundreds of years, though, so it could be 'bigger' by some definitions.  Dragonsteel also is in the running, but for reasons I can't really explain without giving away things I don't want to.

Your favorite movies?

Gattica.  The Fifth Element, actually, is up there too.  The Prisoner of Azkaban movie.  Empire Strikes Back.  Sneakers.  Jacky Chan's Operation Condor. (I know, I know.) The Emperor's New Groove.  Star Trek: First Contact.   

To be honest, that's probably not a great list.  Those are the movies I watch over and over, but there are a lot of movies I love, but have only seen a few times.  I'm not generally a 'watch it over again' type of guy, so it's hard to pick favorites.  I come back to the genre films or things like Jacky Chan because they're quirky and rewatchable, but that doesn't actually mean they're my favorite--or that they've influenced me as much as other films.  For instance, Laurence of Arabia blew my mind, and The Sting influenced how I write quite a bit.  But I've only ever seen those films once.  But I do keep coming back to Gattica as one of the movies I think does what storytelling should do, when done perfectly right.   

Your favorite music?

Depends on the month.  Right now?  Daft Punk.  Before that?  Anything by Harry Gregson Williams. (Often, his music is better than the film it is in.)  Metallica has been a long-standing favorite of mine, though I've been listening to a lot of Desprez lately.

I'd also like to thank Brandon here for being so wonderfully accessible.  It's an excellent gesture Brandon, great of you.  Your fans will always love you for it.
 No problem!  Though that list above made me work.  (Wipes brow.)  I'm terrible at the "What's your favorite..." type questions.

Author
MistbornSanderson
0 Kudos

I have some more in-depth questions that might be RAFO'd. For fans who want to know what I'm talking about, go here
Here they are:
Who is Hoid in WoA? We (TWG) have found some candidates:

Wolfhound merchant
Terris person that Elend meets after Vin went back to Luthadel
Teur or old Jed (the two Skaa in the first Sazed chapter)
Crazy canibal Skaa (I doubt it though)

We already know it isn't the man who discovered duralumin, or the skaa leader outside the dress shop, or the old skaa who waits with the Holy First Witness when the koloss attack.

I think those were all of the characters that we found as candidates.

People are really close to this one, and I noticed that later in this thread, you or someone else mentioned the footprints in the deleted scene.

Hoid's appearance in MB:WA is a little unlike the others.  When the scene at the Well was moved in revision, one of Hoid’s  major influences on the book had to go  (For various reasons.) Left in the book is only one little hint, really.  A character notices something odd about someone, but doesn't dwell on it.  You can probably find the line if you look very closely.

Let me say this.  Hoid got wrapped up in things he didn't expect to be involved in, and they dominated much of his time during the events of MB:WA.  He spent most of the book in a different place from most of the viewpoint characters.  He's only near them for a very short time, and he's deeply in disguise.  I couldn't include his name, as he'd never have used the name "Hoid" for himself there, because it wouldn't have been right for the disguise.  He'd have used another pseudonym.  (He didn't, by the way, mention one.)

I've probably said too much already.  Now, perhaps what people should asking me is this: “What Hoid has been up to in all of these books?”  Or, maybe they shouldn't ask me, as I wouldn't be likely to answer.  (There are clues in the novels, however.)  No, he’s not just hanging out.  Yes, I know what he’s been doing.  Will I write his scenes some day?  Maybe.  We’ll see.  There may be short stories posted on my website.

Now this one will probably be RAFO'd:

I know you already said that there are four shards outside of Ati and Leras in your other books. Could you tell us the numbers per book? Is just a standard two per book? Or do some have more than others?

Some world have more than others.  You have seen the effects, influences, and work of four other Shards.  One Shard, however, was no longer on the world by the time the story was told there.  

I know that we've "interacted with two directly" (the pool in Elantris, and The Voice that called Lightsong back to life) that we've "seen it's power" (Dahkhor??) and another that we've seen their infulence (I have no idea on this one, though I think it might be whatever pointed out Aon Rao in Elantris to Raoden)

Nice guesses on most of those.  You’ve got some things right.  You’ve got some things wrong. The only thing I'll confirm (and I don’t think I’ve said this before)  is that The Voice is, indeed, one of the Shards of Adonalsium.  (Endowment is that Shard’s true name, by the way.)

My last question shouldn't be as hard to answer and that is:

Who is in charge of the Mistborn movie you mentioned at the #tweettheauthor?

Thank you so much, I love your books!

It is a small production studio, so nobody you'd recognize.  The producer is a fan of the Mistborn books who has some credentials in independent films, and who has impressed me with his treatment of the books and his determination to make the film.  This individual is starting a production company to focus on the film.  We're in the contract stages now, and once that is done, I can be more specific.  

It's not like the Alcatraz movie, which was optioned directly by a studio.  Because of that, the Mistborn movie is probably a lot less likely to happen--but, the hands it is in are quite good.  Anything having to do with Hollywood is a long-shot in the first place, so (after meeting with the producer) I decided that I'd rather take the slightly more unlikely chance in exchange for the opportunity to work with someone I felt understood the books.

BTW, Thank you for your Terry Pratchet recomendation. I have read almost all of them and love them.

The man's a genius.  Pure and simple.  It took him a little while to convert me, but now that he has, I’m a big fan. 
Author
MistbornSanderson
0 Kudos

I have a very specific question about The Wheel of Time series.  One of my favorite characters has been MIA for way too long.  I'm assuming Moiraine Damodred returns to the playing field I'm just wanting to know if it will be in the upcoming book or further on?

This is exactly the sort of thing I've been asked by the Jordan estate to stay quiet about, I'm afraid.  (Sorry.)  Some things the fans are expecting will happen in this book.  But some things had to be saved for the next two volumes.  And of Mr. Jordan's instructions were quite surprising, when seen in the light of what everyone expects will happen.

That's really not an answer, is it?  Well, let's just call it a RAFO.

Author
MistbornSanderson
0 Kudos

What is the x in Aon Mea? Is it one of the Shard-pools?

Afraid not.  Aon Mea references the expanded region within which the "Elantris Effect" will create Elantrians.  The X is fertile valley with a high density of life, a place with a lot of cognitive activity.  (Cognitive as defined by Realmatic Theory includes the 'thoughts' of all things that exist, not just human beings.  The more complex the life form, the stronger its presence on the Cognitive Realm.)
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply.  I guess that's a better answer than saying she's dead. :smileywink:

MistbornSanderson wrote:

I have a very specific question about The Wheel of Time series.  One of my favorite characters has been MIA for way too long.  I'm assuming Moiraine Damodred returns to the playing field I'm just wanting to know if it will be in the upcoming book or further on?

This is exactly the sort of thing I've been asked by the Jordan estate to stay quiet about, I'm afraid.  (Sorry.)  Some things the fans are expecting will happen in this book.  But some things had to be saved for the next two volumes.  And of Mr. Jordan's instructions were quite surprising, when seen in the light of what everyone expects will happen.

That's really not an answer, is it?  Well, let's just call it a RAFO.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Author
MistbornSanderson
0 Kudos

I'm feeling a little bewildered; I keep seeing references to "Hoid" throughout these boards and the twitter page, and I'm assuming this is a character who makes a short appearance in each book.  If so, is there an actual story going on with him, or was he just someone put in as a sort of "Easter egg?"

I think I've covered this in responses I gave before getting to your question.  My forums have a lot more information.  (And a lot of guesses.)