Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

R.A. Salvatore is HERE!!! RIGHT NOW!!!!

Hey you guys, just a reminder, R.A. Salvatore, author of the hugely popular Drizzt novels is in Center Stage RIGHT NOW!!! He's here all week – so please make it a point to stop over and say "hello!"

This is my first gig moderating a "Center Stage" event and it's been really slow for some reason so PLEASE click on the link below and check it out. You'll have my neverending gratitude...   :smileyhappy:

Paul

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Center-Stage/R-A-Salvatore-November-16th-20th/m-p/412956#M747...

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine

Re: R.A. Salvatore is HERE!!! RIGHT NOW!!!!

Interesting blog, Paul. When Adventure Fantasy Becomes Profound Spiritual Enlightenment

I'd participate in your Center Stage discussion but I haven't read any of the books.

So where does one start?

The Icewind Dale Trilogy

* The Crystal Shard (1988) (Between 1351DR and 1356DR)
    * Streams of Silver (1989) (1356DR)
    * The Halfling's Gem (1990) (Between 1356DR and 1357DR)

The Dark Elf Trilogy

* Homeland (1990) (Between 1297DR and 1328DR)
    * Exile (1990) (Between 1338DR and 1340DR)
    * Sojourn (1991) (Between 1340DR and 1347DR)

Legacy of the Drow

* The Legacy (1992) (1357DR)
    * Starless Night (1993) (1357DR)
    * Siege of Darkness (1994) (1358DR)
    * Passage to Dawn (1996) (1364DR)

Paths of Darkness

* The Silent Blade (1998) (1364DR)
    * The Spine of the World (1999) (Between 1365DR and 1369DR)
    * Servant of the Shard (2000) (1366DR) - Now in The Sellswords Trilogy
    * Sea of Swords (2001) (Between 1369DR and 1370DR)

The Cleric Quintet

* Canticle (1991) (1361DR)
    * In Sylvan Shadows (1992) (1361DR)
    * Night Masks (1992) (1361DR)
    * The Fallen Fortress (1993) (Between 1361DR and 1362DR)
    * The Chaos Curse (1994) (1362DR)

The Hunter's Blades Trilogy

* The Thousand Orcs (2002) (1370DR)
    * The Lone Drow (2003) (1370DR)
    * The Two Swords (2004) (Between 1370DR and 1371DR)

The Sellswords

* Servant of the Shard (2000) (1366DR)
    * The Promise of the Witch King (2005) (1370DR)
    * Road of the Patriarch (2006) (Between 1370DR and 1371DR)

Transitions

* The Orc King (September 2007) (1371DR and 1471DR-prologue and epilogue)
    * The Pirate King (October 2008)
    * The Ghost King (October 2009)

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nadine:

Great question – with no easy answer. I wouldn't read them in the order they were written. A few years back, Wizards of the Coast reissued all of the Drizzt novels in hardcover – and in chronological order!!!

So, that said, I'd start with Homeland, Exile and Sojourn. If you're hooked by that point, then on to The Crystal Shard, Streams of Silver, The Halfling's Gem, etc.

Also – and this is specifically for you, Nadine – the saga begins relatively simply but as the story progresses, the philosophical aspect gets exponentially deeper. So if you do decide to try out this series, please keep that in mind.... As Drizzt matures, so does the complexity of his character.

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Me I'd start you with the

Forgotten Realms

Where the author started it all.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Me I'd start you with the

Forgotten Realms

Where the author started it all.

That's the great thing about these novels, Tig – they don't necessarily need to be read in chronological order, although I would highly suggest it. The reason I'd start with Homeland is that it gives the reader some pretty cool insight as to how Drizzt got to Icewind Dale in the first place. Either way – classic adventure fantasy!   :smileyhappy:

Paul

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Actually I don't think there is a book in the series you couldn't pick up and just start reading.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Actually I don't think there is a book in the series you couldn't pick up and just start reading.

Tig:

Do you like these books? If so, feel free to stop by Center Stage and let Bob know how you feel! Our dialogue thus far has been fantastic but not many other people are posting!!!

Paul

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Been meaning to, trying to figure out what to say.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Been meaning to, trying to figure out what to say.

Well, I officially "owe you one" if you do! Thanks!

Paul

TiggerBear

Paul

I wanted to go ahead and give you the must deserved pat on the back for one of the best Center Stage weeks. :smileyvery-happy: It would be really really REALLY great if you could get more of the fav authors in to coming to CS. And talk MR. Salvatore into coming back (please fingers crossed). WAY TO GO DUDE! :smileyvery-happy:

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Paul

I wanted to go ahead and give you the must deserved pat on the back for one of the best Center Stage weeks. :smileyvery-happy: It would be really really REALLY great if you could get more of the fav authors in to coming to CS. And talk MR. Salvatore into coming back (please fingers crossed). WAY TO GO DUDE! :smileyvery-happy:

Wow.... thanks, Tig! That was my very first Center Stage gig so I hope my B&N bosses were happy with my moderating.... I thought the thread was awesome and Bob was amazing! I had a great time...Also, we are working on landing a HUGE paranormal fantasy author – we're talking superstar – so I may have some news for you soon!!!!  :smileyhappy:
Paul
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Oh, now you are teasing!

(chuckle)